Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

SubjectAuthor
* Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?R D S
+* Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?David
|`* Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Brian Gaff
| +* Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Rob Morley
| |`* Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Brian Gaff
| | +* Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?R D S
| | |`- Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?zall
| | +- Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Rod Speed
| | `- Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Rob Morley
| +- Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Chris Green
| `- Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Rod Speed
+- Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Fredxx
+- Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?R D S
`* Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?rick
 `- Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?Fredxx

1
Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<thpc4g$3nkg9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72337&group=uk.d-i-y#72337

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (R D S)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 15:12:32 +0100
 by: R D S - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 14:12 UTC

Hello,

I've bought a leisure battery but since noticed that the seller is doing
at the same price 2x batteries of a higher capacity than this one that
i've bough but they are not describes as 'leisure' but are deep cycle.

Is there a difference between deep cycle batteries if they are described
as 'leisure' or are they one and the same?

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<thr27u$pla$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72385&group=uk.d-i-y#72385

From: dav...@nospam.org (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 06:35:58 +0100
 by: David - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 05:35 UTC

On 07/10/2022 15:12, R D S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've bought a leisure battery but since noticed that the seller is doing
> at the same price 2x batteries of a higher capacity than this one that
> i've bough but they are not describes as 'leisure' but are deep cycle.
>
> Is there a difference between deep cycle batteries if they are described
> as 'leisure' or are they one and the same?

There is a difference in construction of lead acid batteries intended
for very heavy short duration discharge, such as a car battery, and
those intended for standby operation where a light or moderate discharge
needs to be sustained for a number of hours, such as in a UPS, although
wet/flooded Ni-Cads are still preferred for such applications. The
Ni-Cads in particular can withstand deep discharges and not be damaged
by being left if a discharged state for a period of time.

I assume "leisure" batteries are more akin to those intended for for
light/moderate sustained discharge and therefore probably deep cycle.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<thre32$5h1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72401&group=uk.d-i-y#72401

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 09:58:04 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 08:58 UTC

That does not sound right to me, surely those intended to sic high currents
must have a more robust construction. I mean deep cycle is really big
discharge and fast charging,is it not, the reverse of leisure?

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"David" <david@nospam.org> wrote in message
> On 07/10/2022 15:12, R D S wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've bought a leisure battery but since noticed that the seller is doing
>> at the same price 2x batteries of a higher capacity than this one that
>> i've bough but they are not describes as 'leisure' but are deep cycle.
>>
>> Is there a difference between deep cycle batteries if they are described
>> as 'leisure' or are they one and the same?
>>

> There is a difference in construction of lead acid batteries intended for
> very heavy short duration discharge, such as a car battery, and those
> intended for standby operation where a light or moderate discharge needs
> to be sustained for a number of hours, such as in a UPS, although
> wet/flooded Ni-Cads are still preferred for such applications. The Ni-Cads
> in particular can withstand deep discharges and not be damaged by being
> left if a discharged state for a period of time.
>
> I assume "leisure" batteries are more akin to those intended for for
> light/moderate sustained discharge and therefore probably deep cycle.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<20221008111531.1b05d55c@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72407&group=uk.d-i-y#72407

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 11:15:31 +0100
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 10:15 UTC

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 09:58:04 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> That does not sound right to me, surely those intended to sic high
> currents must have a more robust construction. I mean deep cycle is
> really big discharge and fast charging,is it not, the reverse of
> leisure?

"Deep cycle" means you can run it flat then recharge without too much
damage. A car battery will suffer if you don't recharge it when it
drops below 12 volts, especially if you leave it there for a while,
even without further use.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<oo181j-5rk4.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72415&group=uk.d-i-y#72415

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 11:59:04 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 10:59 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> That does not sound right to me, surely those intended to sic high currents
> must have a more robust construction. I mean deep cycle is really big
> discharge and fast charging,is it not, the reverse of leisure?

No, "deep cycle" and "leisure" are (sort of) synonyms aimed at
applications where the battery doesn't have to supply heavy currents
but does need to be able to be discharged quite deeply.

Car batteries on the other hand need to be able to supply heavy
currents for a short time (hence the CCA rating to indicate what sort
of current they can hadle) but cannot manage deep discharge without
rapid deterioration.

If I remember the right way round car batteries tend to have plates
(electrodes) which are perforated and (quite) flimsy to maximise the
surface area to handle high currents. 'Leisure' and deep cycle
batteries have more robust solid plates which don't sulphate and/or
disintegrate so easily but have less conducting area and thus can't
supply such high currents.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<op.1tp206b0byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72428&group=uk.d-i-y#72428

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 00:42:32 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 13:42 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote

> That does not sound right to me, surely those intended to sic high
> currents
> must have a more robust construction. I mean deep cycle is really big
> discharge and fast charging,is it not,

No, just doesn't mind having most of its charge used.

> the reverse of leisure?

Nope.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<ths1r7$70g3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72441&group=uk.d-i-y#72441

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 15:35:14 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 14:35 UTC

Counter intuitive then, since the starter of a car is much more likely to
completely flatten a battery, than a couple of tvs and a charger.
Brian

--

--:
"Rob Morley" <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 09:58:04 +0100
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That does not sound right to me, surely those intended to sic high
>> currents must have a more robust construction. I mean deep cycle is
>> really big discharge and fast charging,is it not, the reverse of
>> leisure?
>>
> "Deep cycle" means you can run it flat then recharge without too much
> damage. A car battery will suffer if you don't recharge it when it
> drops below 12 volts, especially if you leave it there for a while,
> even without further use.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<ths23g$6um6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72443&group=uk.d-i-y#72443

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (R D S)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 15:39:44 +0100
 by: R D S - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 14:39 UTC

On 08/10/2022 15:35, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Counter intuitive then, since the starter of a car is much more likely to
> completely flatten a battery, than a couple of tvs and a charger.

Perhaps the idea though, is that you charge the leisure battery, use it
up, charge it again....
Whereas a vehicle is constantly topping up the battery and you should
only flatten it if something is amiss.

In my case though i'm putting a solar panel on it so maybe it's
pointless getting a deep cycle one?

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<op.1tp6lmytbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72448&group=uk.d-i-y#72448

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 01:59:36 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 14:59 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote

> Counter intuitive then, since the starter of a car is much more likely to
> completely flatten a battery,

But wouldn't normally be left flat if it is deeply discharged.

> than a couple of tvs and a charger.

Very few use lead acid batterys like that.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<op.1tp6tbecffmuo7@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72450&group=uk.d-i-y#72450

From: zall...@gmail.com (zall)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 02:04:13 +1100
 by: zall - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 15:04 UTC

On Sun, 09 Oct 2022 01:39:44 +1100, R D S <rsandr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 08/10/2022 15:35, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Counter intuitive then, since the starter of a car is much more likely
>> completely flatten a battery, than a couple of tvs and a charger.
>
> Perhaps the idea though, is that you charge the leisure battery, use it
> up, charge it again....
> Whereas a vehicle is constantly topping up the battery and you should
> only flatten it if something is amiss.
>
> In my case though i'm putting a solar panel on it so maybe it's
> pointless getting a deep cycle one?

Really depends on how often it is fully discharged.

Plenty of situations at the latitude the UK is where the battery
is fully discharged most nights in which case you will get a
much better life with a deep discharge battery.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<20221008194029.34f031ed@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72465&group=uk.d-i-y#72465

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 19:40:29 +0100
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 18:40 UTC

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 15:35:14 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Counter intuitive then, since the starter of a car is much more
> likely to completely flatten a battery, than a couple of tvs and a
> charger.

A car battery shouldn't be anywhere near flattened by starting the car,
that will only happen if the battery is already knackered or there's a
problem with the engine that it won't start (which will also at least
partly knacker the battery because it doesn't like going below 12
Volts).

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<thsum7$9hf9$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72482&group=uk.d-i-y#72482

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 23:47:37 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 22:47 UTC

On 07/10/2022 15:12, R D S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've bought a leisure battery but since noticed that the seller is doing
> at the same price 2x batteries of a higher capacity than this one that
> i've bough but they are not describes as 'leisure' but are deep cycle.
>
> Is there a difference between deep cycle batteries if they are described
> as 'leisure' or are they one and the same?

Many leisure batteries are simply large starter batteries. They often
have a CCA specification.

Some constructions are more rugged but are still limited to a discharge
to a minium of 50% charge to aid life-time. Others have materials
alloyed into the electrodes material that helps to limit sulphation,
look up lead carbon batteries as an example.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<ti3dqa$131ev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72892&group=uk.d-i-y#72892

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (R D S)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 10:42:34 +0100
 by: R D S - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:42 UTC

On 07/10/2022 15:12, R D S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've bought a leisure battery but since noticed that the seller is doing
> at the same price 2x batteries of a higher capacity than this one that
> i've bought

Listing price has changed to over double, plainly an error.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<tjjoaf$5ca$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75620&group=uk.d-i-y#75620

From: rick_hug...@_remove_btconnect.com (rick)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 18:36:14 +0100
 by: rick - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 17:36 UTC

On 07/10/2022 15:12, R D S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've bought a leisure battery but since noticed that the seller is doing
> at the same price 2x batteries of a higher capacity than this one that
> i've bough but they are not describes as 'leisure' but are deep cycle.
>
> Is there a difference between deep cycle batteries if they are described
> as 'leisure' or are they one and the same?

Please note that neither of these are suitable for a normal car battery
.... i.e Starter battery
On those it is high Cold Cranking Amps is the measure to judge by.

Re: Leisure battery - deep cycle - difference?

<tjjsbj$3kat2$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75630&group=uk.d-i-y#75630

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 19:45:08 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 18:45 UTC

On 29/10/2022 18:36, rick wrote:
> On 07/10/2022 15:12, R D S wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've bought a leisure battery but since noticed that the seller is
>> doing at the same price 2x batteries of a higher capacity than this
>> one that i've bough but they are not describes as 'leisure' but are
>> deep cycle.
>>
>> Is there a difference between deep cycle batteries if they are
>> described as 'leisure' or are they one and the same?
>>
> Please note that neither of these are suitable for a normal car battery
> ... i.e Starter battery
> On those it is high Cold Cranking Amps is the measure to judge by.

Many, many batteries called 'Leisure' batteries are often semi-traction
batteries. They will typically have a CCA specification.

By way of example:
https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/enduroline/exl110/
This 110Ahr 'Leisure' battery has a CCA of 810A.