What we wish, that we readily believe. -- Demosthenes

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of bike lane

SubjectAuthor
* Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle ofswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Edinburgh fairy-cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp inJNugent
|`- Re: Edinburgh fairy-cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp inSpike
+- Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle ofswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle ofSpike
|`- Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle ofJNugent
`- Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle ofswldx...@gmail.com

1
Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of bike lane

<53370b96-b8b9-405c-b176-b59642d34320n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7219&group=uk.rec.cycling#7219

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 12:34:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of
bike lane
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 19:34 UTC

Baffled Edinburgh cyclists say they have been left mystified by a giant metal pole in the centre of a new route near the city’s tram extension project.

Bike users travelling along the Western side of the bidirectional Leith Walk corridor are forced to briefly leave the cycleway and join the pavement to manoeuvre themselves round the streetlight placed directly in the middle of the lane.

Council bosses say the route, which forms part of the wider Trams to Newhaven project, is yet to officially open, adding the pole, which forms part of temporary overhead lighting, will be removed when the development is completed next year.

However, cycling groups have called for more “joined up thinking” between the local authority and lane users over the next 12 months to ensure it remains blockage-free.

Ian Maxwell, from cycling advocacy group Spokes, added: “We are disappointed with the way that the design seems to be making some very obvious blunders, it’s just not sensible.

“The design of cycle routes is well established and we’re very surprised the people that are doing this haven’t followed suit.

“There does seem to be a way of thinking that is very much along the lines of a tram route taking precedence and everything else following.”

Mr Maxwell continued: “We are seeing a fundamental shift in the way people in Edinburgh travel. I’m optimistic about the future because there are some quite nicely designed spaces, but at times it still seems a bit hit and miss.”

The £207m project to take the line from its current terminus to Newhaven remains slated to open in the spring of 2023.

The latest phase of works saw the former end of the line at York Place demolished to make way for a connection between the old line and new Leith track at Picardy Place.

A City of Edinburgh Council spokesperson said signage had been erected to inform users of the lane that the project remained a work in progress.

They added: “Temporary poles provide necessary street lighting during construction and will be removed once the route is complete, as has always been planned.

“Overhead line poles will provide light in the permanent scheme but they are one of the last things to go in as part of the construction programme.

“The cycle lane is not yet open as the scheme is still under construction, and there is clear signage to notify the public of this.”

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-cyclists-left-perplexed-giant-23457770#comments-wrapper

Re: Edinburgh fairy-cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of fairy-bike lane

<j9s4gjFkmhqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7220&group=uk.rec.cycling#7220

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Edinburgh fairy-cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in
middle of fairy-bike lane
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 20:12:03 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 20:12 UTC

> Baffled Edinburgh fairy-cyclists say they have been left mystified by a giant metal pole in the centre of a new route near the city’s tram extension project.
> Fairy-bike users travelling along the Western side of the bidirectional Leith Walk corridor are forced to briefly leave the fairy-cycleway and join the pavement to manoeuvre themselves round the streetlight placed directly in the middle of the lane.
> Council bosses say the route, which forms part of the wider Trams to Newhaven project, is yet to officially open, adding the pole, which forms part of temporary overhead lighting, will be removed when the development is completed next year.
> However, fairy-cycling groups have called for more “joined up thinking” between the local authority and fairy-lane users over the next 12 months to ensure it remains blockage-free.
> Ian Maxwell, from fairy-cycling advocacy group Spokes, added: “We are disappointed with the way that the design seems to be making some very obvious blunders, it’s just not sensible.

So there's no-one at fairy-cycling advocacy group "Spokes" who can read
signs.

Who knew?

> “The design of fairy-cycle routes is well established and we’re very surprised the people that are doing this haven’t followed suit.
> “There does seem to be a way of thinking that is very much along the lines of a tram route taking precedence and everything else following.”
> Mr Maxwell continued: “We are seeing a fundamental shift in the way people in Edinburgh travel. I’m optimistic about the future because there are some quite nicely designed spaces, but at times it still seems a bit hit and miss.”
> The £207m project to take the line from its current terminus to Newhaven remains slated to open in the spring of 2023.
> The latest phase of works saw the former end of the line at York Place demolished to make way for a connection between the old line and new Leith track at Picardy Place.
> A City of Edinburgh Council spokesperson said signage had been erected to inform users of the fairy-cycling lane that the project remained a *work* *in* *progress*.

It never does to assume that one's target audience can read.

> They added: “Temporary poles provide necessary street lighting during construction and will be removed once the route is complete, as has always been planned.
> “Overhead line poles will provide light in the permanent scheme but they are one of the last things to go in as part of the construction programme.
> “The fairy-cycle lane is *not* *yet* *open* as the scheme is still under construction, and there is *clear* *signage* to notify the public of this.”

But it never does to assume that one's target audience can read as is
clearly illustrated by this story.

> https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-cyclists-left-perplexed-giant-23457770#comments-wrapper

Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of bike lane

<e920022b-4389-4ee5-b546-bdab0fdf90a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7223&group=uk.rec.cycling#7223

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:27:54 -0700 (PDT)
bike lane
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 20:27 UTC

O1 hr ago
QUOTE:
Ground hog day didn’t this happen before on leith walk in 2020 or 2021.
ENDS

Yes it did - I remember that!
In Edinburgh Live too!

Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of bike lane

<j9tjdmFt5rnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7232&group=uk.rec.cycling#7232

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
bike lane
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:32:39 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:32 UTC

On 21/03/2022 19:34, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Baffled Edinburgh cyclists say they have been left mystified by a giant metal pole in the centre of a new route near the city’s tram extension project.

Nearly 70 years ago we moved to a remote estate of private bungalows,
the children of which were served by a little primary school about half
a mile away. There was a narrow but usable pavement by the minor road
that passed the two.

In the winter months the unlit road raised concerns among the mothers
who took their children along this pavement, so the LA put in street
lighting - with the lamp-posts in the dead centre of the narrow
pavement. No pram or pushchair could make it past....

"We put the lamp-posts in according to the regulations" said the LA.

Children, instead of having a nice healthy walk in the country air, were
then taken to school by car...

Google Streetview shows that the school is still there, and the
lamp-posts have since been moved to the side of the pavement.

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh fairy-cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of fairy-bike lane

<j9tjhvFt5rnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7234&group=uk.rec.cycling#7234

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
middle of fairy-bike lane
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:34:55 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:34 UTC

On 21/03/2022 20:12, JNugent wrote:
> On 21/03/2022 07:34 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Ian Maxwell, from fairy-cycling advocacy group Spokes, added: “We are disappointed with the way that the design seems to be making some very obvious blunders, it’s just not sensible.

> So there's no-one at fairy-cycling advocacy group "Spokes" who can read
> signs.

> It never does to assume that one's target audience can read.
..
>> “The fairy-cycle lane is *not* *yet* *open* as the scheme is still under construction, and there is *clear* *signage* to notify the public of this.”

> But it never does to assume that one's target audience can read as is
> clearly illustrated by this story.

There are notices that Snake Pass is closed, but it appears the cyclists
can't read that either.

>> https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-cyclists-left-perplexed-giant-23457770#comments-wrapper

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of bike lane

<j9tmfsFtko1U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7243&group=uk.rec.cycling#7243

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
bike lane
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:25:00 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:25 UTC

On 22/03/2022 09:32 am, Spike wrote:
> On 21/03/2022 19:34, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Baffled Edinburgh cyclists say they have been left mystified by a giant metal pole in the centre of a new route near the city’s tram extension project.
>
> Nearly 70 years ago we moved to a remote estate of private bungalows,
> the children of which were served by a little primary school about half
> a mile away. There was a narrow but usable pavement by the minor road
> that passed the two.
>
> In the winter months the unlit road raised concerns among the mothers
> who took their children along this pavement, so the LA put in street
> lighting - with the lamp-posts in the dead centre of the narrow
> pavement. No pram or pushchair could make it past....
>
> "We put the lamp-posts in according to the regulations" said the LA.
>
> Children, instead of having a nice healthy walk in the country air, were
> then taken to school by car...
>
> Google Streetview shows that the school is still there, and the
> lamp-posts have since been moved to the side of the pavement.

Jobsworth and back-scratching.

Often observed within local authorities.

Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of bike lane

<a8f7fef9-6e4b-4211-b3fa-0b1eb226811en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7250&group=uk.rec.cycling#7250

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 04:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
bike lane
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 11:06 UTC

1 hr ago

"Soon it's going to be blocked by cars and vans parked on it, what's one pole?"

TOP COMMENT!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Edinburgh cyclists left baffled at giant street lamp in middle of bike lane