Avoid strange women and temporary variables.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

SubjectAuthor
* Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installationPhil
+* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiScott
> [...]
| `* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiScott
|  +* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiChris Green
|  |`* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiScott
|  | `* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiNY
|  |  `* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiScott
|  |   `* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasherzall
|  |    `- Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiScott
|  `- Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasherJohn Rumm
+- Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasherJohn Rumm
`* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiBrian Gaff
 +* Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installatiScott
 |`- Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasherMark Carver
 +- Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasherJohn Rumm
 `- Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasherJohn Rumm

Pages:12
Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<rvmtjht4ltf03oqiaehc76hc65258c22ea@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72120&group=uk.d-i-y#72120

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 14:45:56 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:45 UTC

On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:38:59 +0100, "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Are we talking directly under, or the next cupboard along?
> I think it would be asking for trouble to have a dishwasher and its socket
>under a sink.
> You can of course get waterproof housings with lids, but I'd not trust one
>myself.
> How long is the dishwasher mains lead, as it obviously has to be legal to
>put the socket within reach of the device.
> Brian

This would be my commonsense approach also.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thmo96$6fi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72126&group=uk.d-i-y#72126

From: ucebl...@milibyte.co.uk (Mike Clarke)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher
installation
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:21:26 +0000
 by: Mike Clarke - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:21 UTC

On 06/10/2022 07:18, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 05/10/2022 18:47, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>
>> Or hold something capable of spraying water a considerable distance.
>>
> I've got something that does that, though it's not pure water

... and you use it in the kitchen?

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<7aptjhdl2au8eae6tom534u1g11buqbju6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72131&group=uk.d-i-y#72131

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 15:33:22 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:33 UTC

On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:09:53 +0100, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <thmb22$1vq0$2@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew
><Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> writes

>>> I've got something that does that, though it's not pure water
>>>

>>That will change considerably with age :-)
>
>Lucky to get beyond your feet:-(

I remember at my primary school there were four sets of toilets: the
big boys' and wee boys' toilets in one block and the big girls' and
wee girls' toilets in the other.

At one stage work was needed in the girls' block and the boys were
told to use the big boys' toilets and the girls the wee boys' toilet.
The wall between the two sections was only partial and did not reach
the ceiling. Someone worked out it was possible to piss over the wall
on to the girls' heads. Of course they could never find out who the
culprit was!

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thmqco$3d5g7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72136&group=uk.d-i-y#72136

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:57:28 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:57 UTC

On 06/10/2022 09:40, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:00:57 +0100, ARW
> <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 05/10/2022 16:52, Scott wrote:

>>> I would say whatever the regulations permit, it would clearly be safer
>>> to relocate the socket away from water. I would ask for it to be
>>> removed anyway for peace of mind.
>>
>> And whilst you are at it you might as well remove the kitchen lights
>> that are under the bathroom;-)
>>
>> A socket under the sink is absolutely fine.
>
> Nothing can be 'absolutely fine'. The risk is low but why create an
> unnecessary risk at all?

So long as you apply a little common sense (like not fitting the socket
directly under pipework), there no risk that you would not have with a
socket anywhere. One could argue you are less likely to splash water in
a cupboard in a kitchen than you are somewhere else in a kitchen that
might be near a socket on a wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<fa2c6c67-7ede-fd4b-a4bc-ce128980a116@nowhere.null>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72137&group=uk.d-i-y#72137

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:04:04 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:04 UTC

On 06/10/2022 10:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Are we talking directly under, or the next cupboard along?
> I think it would be asking for trouble to have a dishwasher and its socket
> under a sink.
> You can of course get waterproof housings with lids, but I'd not trust one
> myself.
> How long is the dishwasher mains lead, as it obviously has to be legal to
> put the socket within reach of the device.
> Brian

Socket on the wall behind the dishwasher[1], with a separate isolation
switch above worktop level is one way, or a socket in an adjacent
cupboard (that may have a sink over it!) is also common. You don't
necessarily need the idolater if the socket is easy to reach.

[1] I wired a neighbours cooker like that when I rewired their house.
She managed to trip the RCD by spraying copious amounts of flash on the
tiles above the cooker, such that it ran down the wall, and eventually
soaked into the plug connected to the socket.

With hindsight, socket in the adjacent cupboard would have probably been
better!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thmqq7$3d5g7$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72138&group=uk.d-i-y#72138

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:04:40 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:04 UTC

On 06/10/2022 10:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Are we talking directly under, or the next cupboard along?
> I think it would be asking for trouble to have a dishwasher and its socket
> under a sink.
> You can of course get waterproof housings with lids, but I'd not trust one
> myself.
> How long is the dishwasher mains lead, as it obviously has to be legal to
> put the socket within reach of the device.
> Brian

Socket on the wall behind the dishwasher[1], with a separate isolation
switch above worktop level is one way, or a socket in an adjacent
cupboard (that may have a sink over it!) is also common. You don't
necessarily need the idolater if the socket is easy to reach.

[1] I wired a neighbours cooker like that when I rewired their house.
She managed to trip the RCD by spraying copious amounts of flash on the
tiles above the cooker, such that it ran down the wall, and eventually
soaked into the plug connected to the socket.

With hindsight, socket in the adjacent cupboard would have probably been
better!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thmtd1$3dhvd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72143&group=uk.d-i-y#72143

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:48:49 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:48 UTC

On 06/10/2022 15:21, Mike Clarke wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 07:18, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On 05/10/2022 18:47, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>>
>>> Or hold something capable of spraying water a considerable distance.
>>>
>> I've got something that does that, though it's not pure water
>
> .. and you use it in the kitchen?

Whenever he goes to piss in the sink it's full of his wife's dirty dishes.

--
Max Demian

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<op.1tmltoilffmuo7@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72151&group=uk.d-i-y#72151

From: zall...@gmail.com (zall)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 03:38:02 +1100
 by: zall - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:38 UTC

On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 22:49:52 +1100, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 11:32:31 +0100, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Don't joke!

> I did not write this.

He didn't say you did. Count the >s

> Please attribute to the correct poster.

He did.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<6g1ujhlo15n83prt7lecokpur1qol9i9g0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72153&group=uk.d-i-y#72153

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 17:45:10 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:45 UTC

On Fri, 07 Oct 2022 03:38:02 +1100, zall <zall7dr@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 22:49:52 +1100, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 11:32:31 +0100, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> "Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Don't joke!
>
>> I did not write this.
>
>He didn't say you did. Count the >s
>
>> Please attribute to the correct poster.
>
>He did.

And that was???

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thn4om$3e6ms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72166&group=uk.d-i-y#72166

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 18:54:57 +0100
 by: ARW - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 17:54 UTC

On 06/10/2022 15:33, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:09:53 +0100, Tim Lamb
> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <thmb22$1vq0$2@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew
>> <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> writes

>>> That will change considerably with age :-)
>>
>> Lucky to get beyond your feet:-(
>
> I remember at my primary school there were four sets of toilets: the
> big boys' and wee boys' toilets in one block and the big girls' and
> wee girls' toilets in the other.
>
> At one stage work was needed in the girls' block and the boys were
> told to use the big boys' toilets and the girls the wee boys' toilet.
> The wall between the two sections was only partial and did not reach
> the ceiling. Someone worked out it was possible to piss over the wall
> on to the girls' heads. Of course they could never find out who the
> culprit was!

You would not believe some of the electrical criminal damage we used to
do when I was at school.

It's a good job they did not have CCTV in schools in my day.

One of the favourites was holding the lightswitch that powered the
fluorescents in the half on half off position so that it made a buzzing
sound and eventually started to smoke.

Inserting 13A plugs with a LN short across them was another favourite.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thn5eb$1ci5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72171&group=uk.d-i-y#72171

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:06:03 +0100
 by: Andrew - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 18:06 UTC

On 06/10/2022 18:54, ARW wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 15:33, Scott wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:09:53 +0100, Tim Lamb
>> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <thmb22$1vq0$2@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew
>>> <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> writes

>>> Lucky to get beyond your feet:-(
>>
>> I remember at my primary school there were four sets of toilets: the
>> big boys' and wee boys' toilets in one block and the big girls' and
>> wee girls' toilets in the other.
>>
>> At one stage work was needed in the girls' block and the boys were
>> told to use the big boys' toilets and the girls the wee boys' toilet.
>> The wall between the two sections was only partial and did not reach
>> the ceiling.  Someone worked out it was possible to piss over the wall
>> on to the girls' heads.  Of course they could never find out who the
>> culprit was!
>

> You would not believe some of the electrical criminal damage we used to
> do when I was at school.
>
> It's a good job they did not have CCTV in schools in my day.
>
> One of the favourites was holding the lightswitch that powered the
> fluorescents in the half on half off position so that it made a buzzing
> sound and eventually started to smoke.
>
> Inserting 13A plugs with a LN short across them was another favourite.

One 'interesting' kid stole lots of light bulbs from around the school
and filled up the toilet cistern with them (the type that is above head
height and periodically flushed the boys urinals).

One day another athletic lad decided to climb up the flush pipe
to see how many were up there and the whole lot crashed down onto the
floor and smashed to pieces. This was a heavy ceramic cistern too.

mains water pissing out everywhere

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<jq8o0qFrdmdU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72187&group=uk.d-i-y#72187

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 20:18:49 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:18 UTC

On 06/10/2022 16:48, Max Demian wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 15:21, Mike Clarke wrote:

>>> I've got something that does that, though it's not pure water
>>
>> .. and you use it in the kitchen?
>
> Whenever he goes to piss in the sink it's full of his wife's dirty
> dishes.

Don't be silly, we've got a dishwasher, and I've just measured, its 13A
socket is indeed 300mm horizontally away from the tap column.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<kfd51jx85o.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72304&group=uk.d-i-y#72304

From: a240...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen
dishwasher installation
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 12:00:36 +0100
 by: Adam Funk - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 11:00 UTC

On 2022-10-06, ARW wrote:

> On 06/10/2022 15:33, Scott wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:09:53 +0100, Tim Lamb
>> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <thmb22$1vq0$2@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew
>>> <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> writes

>>> Lucky to get beyond your feet:-(
>>
>> I remember at my primary school there were four sets of toilets: the
>> big boys' and wee boys' toilets in one block and the big girls' and
>> wee girls' toilets in the other.
>>
>> At one stage work was needed in the girls' block and the boys were
>> told to use the big boys' toilets and the girls the wee boys' toilet.
>> The wall between the two sections was only partial and did not reach
>> the ceiling. Someone worked out it was possible to piss over the wall
>> on to the girls' heads. Of course they could never find out who the
>> culprit was!
>

> You would not believe some of the electrical criminal damage we used to
> do when I was at school.
>
> It's a good job they did not have CCTV in schools in my day.
>
> One of the favourites was holding the lightswitch that powered the
> fluorescents in the half on half off position so that it made a buzzing
> sound and eventually started to smoke.
>
> Inserting 13A plugs with a LN short across them was another favourite.

Did this influence your career choice?

;-)

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<dbedd446-3e5b-0f4e-5a7f-87de6e311ae5@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72320&group=uk.d-i-y#72320

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 13:31:41 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 12:31 UTC

On 07/10/2022 12:00, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-10-06, ARW wrote:
>
>> On 06/10/2022 15:33, Scott wrote:

>>> I remember at my primary school there were four sets of toilets: the
>>> big boys' and wee boys' toilets in one block and the big girls' and
>>> wee girls' toilets in the other.
>>>
>>> At one stage work was needed in the girls' block and the boys were
>>> told to use the big boys' toilets and the girls the wee boys' toilet.
>>> The wall between the two sections was only partial and did not reach
>>> the ceiling. Someone worked out it was possible to piss over the wall
>>> on to the girls' heads. Of course they could never find out who the
>>> culprit was!
>>

>> You would not believe some of the electrical criminal damage we used to
>> do when I was at school.
>>
>> It's a good job they did not have CCTV in schools in my day.
>>
>> One of the favourites was holding the lightswitch that powered the
>> fluorescents in the half on half off position so that it made a buzzing
>> sound and eventually started to smoke.
>>
>> Inserting 13A plugs with a LN short across them was another favourite.
>
> Did this influence your career choice?
>
> ;-)

I don't think judges had the discretion to offer a choice between prison
and an apprenticeship :)

--
Robin

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<7634ab46-789a-4098-bec8-5568edad158bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72330&group=uk.d-i-y#72330

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 06:24:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan)
 by: Jonathan - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 13:24 UTC

On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 10:42:51 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

> Sockets ought to be fitted to the fabric of the building and not
> installed on "furniture". However it is arguable that a fitted kitchen
> cabinet can be considered part of the fabric of the building.

That's what my insurers say with regard to structural damage from flooding.

Jonathan

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<jqaotoF5r2lU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72333&group=uk.d-i-y#72333

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 14:46:32 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 13:46 UTC

On 06/10/2022 14:45, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:38:59 +0100, "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Are we talking directly under, or the next cupboard along?
>> I think it would be asking for trouble to have a dishwasher and its socket
>> under a sink.
>> You can of course get waterproof housings with lids, but I'd not trust one
>> myself.
>> How long is the dishwasher mains lead, as it obviously has to be legal to
>> put the socket within reach of the device.
>> Brian
> This would be my commonsense approach also.
My socket is in an under sink cupboard, that's next to the dishwasher.

Actually, if there was ever a leak, and the socket got wet, the RCD
tripping would be a useful alarm for notification there was a leak in
there !

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thqok1$3fqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72379&group=uk.d-i-y#72379

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 03:52:14 +0100
 by: ARW - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 02:52 UTC

On 07/10/2022 12:00, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-10-06, ARW wrote:
>
>> On 06/10/2022 15:33, Scott wrote:

>>> I remember at my primary school there were four sets of toilets: the
>>> big boys' and wee boys' toilets in one block and the big girls' and
>>> wee girls' toilets in the other.
>>>
>>> At one stage work was needed in the girls' block and the boys were
>>> told to use the big boys' toilets and the girls the wee boys' toilet.
>>> The wall between the two sections was only partial and did not reach
>>> the ceiling. Someone worked out it was possible to piss over the wall
>>> on to the girls' heads. Of course they could never find out who the
>>> culprit was!
>>

>> You would not believe some of the electrical criminal damage we used to
>> do when I was at school.
>>
>> It's a good job they did not have CCTV in schools in my day.
>>
>> One of the favourites was holding the lightswitch that powered the
>> fluorescents in the half on half off position so that it made a buzzing
>> sound and eventually started to smoke.
>>
>> Inserting 13A plugs with a LN short across them was another favourite.
>
> Did this influence your career choice?
>
> ;-)

Now this is one of the things that annoys me about the new starters.

They have no idea at all about electrical circuits, the names of tools
or how to use them.

Basic electrical circuits were part of physics when I did O levels,
tools were part of metalwork or woodwork and the rest was taught by your
Dad.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thqp5m$3fqi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72381&group=uk.d-i-y#72381

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 04:01:39 +0100
 by: ARW - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 03:01 UTC

On 07/10/2022 13:31, Robin wrote:
> On 07/10/2022 12:00, Adam Funk wrote:

>>> You would not believe some of the electrical criminal damage we used to
>>> do when I was at school.
>>>
>>> It's a good job they did not have CCTV in schools in my day.
>>>
>>> One of the favourites was holding the lightswitch that powered the
>>> fluorescents in the half on half off position so that it made a buzzing
>>> sound and eventually started to smoke.
>>>
>>> Inserting 13A plugs with a LN short across them was another favourite.
>>
>> Did this influence your career choice?
>>
>> ;-)
>

> I don't think judges had the discretion to offer a choice between prison
> and an apprenticeship :)

Maybe they might have made me become an arborist.

It's still under investigation and I have a meeting "under caution" next
month with the council so I expect a private prosecution.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thqqnj$430j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72382&group=uk.d-i-y#72382

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 04:28:16 +0100
 by: ARW - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 03:28 UTC

On 06/10/2022 20:18, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 16:48, Max Demian wrote:

>>> .. and you use it in the kitchen?
>>
>> Whenever he goes to piss in the sink it's full of his wife's dirty
>> dishes.
>>
> Don't be silly, we've got a dishwasher, and I've just measured, its 13A
> socket is indeed 300mm horizontally away from the tap column.

I have a dishwasher. And she complains when I have a piss on the back
door step.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thsj7d$od9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72467&group=uk.d-i-y#72467

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 20:31:57 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 19:31 UTC

On 08/10/2022 04:01, ARW wrote:

> Maybe they might have made me become an arborist.
>
> It's still under investigation and I have a meeting "under caution" next
> month with the council so I expect a private prosecution.

Did you trim a lesbian council-oficials bush ?

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<tht3fa$9hf9$16@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72494&group=uk.d-i-y#72494

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 01:09:15 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 00:09 UTC

On 08/10/2022 03:52, ARW wrote:
> On 07/10/2022 12:00, Adam Funk wrote:

>>> You would not believe some of the electrical criminal damage we used to
>>> do when I was at school.
>>>
>>> It's a good job they did not have CCTV in schools in my day.
>>>
>>> One of the favourites was holding the lightswitch that powered the
>>> fluorescents in the half on half off position so that it made a buzzing
>>> sound and eventually started to smoke.
>>>
>>> Inserting 13A plugs with a LN short across them was another favourite.
>>
>> Did this influence your career choice?
>>
>> ;-)
>

> Now this is one of the things that annoys me about the new starters.
>
> They have no idea at all about electrical circuits, the names of tools
> or how to use them.
>
> Basic electrical circuits were part of physics when I did O levels,
> tools were part of metalwork or woodwork and the rest was taught by your
> Dad.

One year CSE Physics had a test where you have to assign colours to the
terminals in a plug. I think 1/2 got it wrong.

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<i3fa1j-m0h9.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72510&group=uk.d-i-y#72510

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 09:58:58 +0100
References: <214bd6aa-b02a-41b0-a8bf-ea5c8b542b4dn@googlegroups.com> <thk9mv$30tk4$2@dont-email.me> <thka85$13kn$2@gioia.aioe.org> <9do01j-tikm.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> <qbnBWyUhMcPjFwLD@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> <jq7dq0Fl8jlU1@mid.individual.net> <thmb22$1vq0$2@gioia.aioe.org> <9oX0amdhOtPjFwb8@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> <7aptjhdl2au8eae6tom534u1g11buqbju6@4ax.com> <thn4om$3e6ms$1@dont-email.me> <kfd51jx85o.ln2@news.ducksburg.com> <thqok1$3fqi$1@dont-email.me> <tht3fa$9hf9$16@dont-email.me>
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 08:58 UTC

Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

> > Basic electrical circuits were part of physics when I did O levels,
> > tools were part of metalwork or woodwork and the rest was taught by your
> > Dad.
>
> One year CSE Physics had a test where you have to assign colours to the
> terminals in a plug. I think 1/2 got it wrong.

That's absolutely not physics! It's possibly engineeriing.

A physicist who doesn't how to wire a plug won't be any worse as a
physicist.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation

<thuebg$g5ng$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72541&group=uk.d-i-y#72541

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
installation
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:21:04 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 12:21 UTC

On 09/10/2022 09:58, Chris Green wrote:
> Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Basic electrical circuits were part of physics when I did O levels,
>>> tools were part of metalwork or woodwork and the rest was taught by your
>>> Dad.
>>
>> One year CSE Physics had a test where you have to assign colours to the
>> terminals in a plug. I think 1/2 got it wrong.
>>
> That's absolutely not physics! It's possibly engineeriing.
>
> A physicist who doesn't how to wire a plug won't be any worse as a
> physicist.

Might not be so hot on quantum chromodynamics though :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Electrical socket installed under sink for new kitchen dishwasher installation