Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Mayor Sadiq Khan urges Londoners to cycle as high air pollution
warning issued
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:51 UTC

Sadiq Khan has urged Londoners to "please look after each other by walking, cycling, avoiding unnecessary car trips" as a high air pollution warning has been issued for the capital for the first time since August 2020.

The Mayor warned London is "importing pollution from the continent" alongside a build-up of local emissions, with forecasts showing the capital could see sustained import of particles on Wednesday.

The alert will be in place until Thursday at the earliest. Khan has warned of a crisis of "filthy air and gridlocked roads" unless London's car usage is reduced.

Zack Polanski, chair of the London Assembly environment committee, said: "We now have high pollution alerts and warnings, but we cannot just wring our hands and say to vulnerable people avoid going outside.

"It is unacceptable for anyone to fear going outside.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-23-march-2022-291295#live-blog-item-32711

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Mayor Sadiq Khan urges Londoners to cycle as high air pollution warning issued