DeVries' Dilemma: If you hit two keys on the typewriter, the one you don't want hits the paper.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / FOAK: Transcribing a radio programme

SubjectAuthor
* FOAK: Transcribing a radio programmeNick Odell
+* FOAK: Transcribing a radio programmeTim+
|`- FOAK: Transcribing a radio programmeNick Odell
+* Transcribing a radio programmeBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`- Transcribing a radio programmeNick Odell
`* FOAK: Transcribing a radio programmeBernard Peek
 `- FOAK: Transcribing a radio programmeNick Odell

1
FOAK: Transcribing a radio programme

<ohfnvghel9piuup240nndjhmr73rm0fqk0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7287&group=uk.rec.sheds#7287

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: FOAK: Transcribing a radio programme
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 11:53:44 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 11:53 UTC

I'd like to transcribe a radio programme. I figure that it would be
quicker and easier to correct an auto-transcription than to start with
a blank sheet of paper, so to speak. So where to start? Would YouTube
automatically CloseCaption it for me if I uploaded it there? The
scripts are not for sale AFAIK (I saw a Tweet from the writer while I
was researching) and I don't think anybody else has transcribed it
yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nick
PS This is part of my continuing battle for subtitles on the radio.
EQDSO finds it much easier to listen in English if the spoken words
can be displayed at the same time and we've had lots of fun already
with found transcriptions of Cabin Pressure and Clare in the Community
and I'd like to add more. TBH I too find it easier to listen these
days if I read as I listen.
PPS Conversations from a Long Marriage by Jan Etherington, since you
ask.

Re: FOAK: Transcribing a radio programme

<1887314275.665595554.879719.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7289&group=uk.rec.sheds#7289

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: FOAK: Transcribing a radio programme
Date: 3 Feb 2022 15:42:18 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 15:42 UTC

Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> I'd like to transcribe a radio programme. I figure that it would be
> quicker and easier to correct an auto-transcription than to start with
> a blank sheet of paper, so to speak. So where to start? Would YouTube
> automatically CloseCaption it for me if I uploaded it there? The
> scripts are not for sale AFAIK (I saw a Tweet from the writer while I
> was researching) and I don't think anybody else has transcribed it
> yet.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nick
> PS This is part of my continuing battle for subtitles on the radio.
> EQDSO finds it much easier to listen in English if the spoken words
> can be displayed at the same time and we've had lots of fun already
> with found transcriptions of Cabin Pressure and Clare in the Community
> and I'd like to add more. TBH I too find it easier to listen these
> days if I read as I listen.
> PPS Conversations from a Long Marriage by Jan Etherington, since you
> ask.

I’m sure there must be plenty of voice to text transcription services
available.

Eg. https://get.otter.ai/interview-transcription/

https://cloud.google.com/speech-to-text/

https://dictation.io

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: FOAK: Transcribing a radio programme

<gtcovg9v5cmh8pd366jlbaubldckfotja1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7291&group=uk.rec.sheds#7291

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 19:58:38 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 19:58 UTC

On 3 Feb 2022 15:42:18 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

>Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to transcribe a radio programme. I figure that it would be
>> quicker and easier to correct an auto-transcription than to start with
>> a blank sheet of paper, so to speak. So where to start? Would YouTube
>> automatically CloseCaption it for me if I uploaded it there? The
>> scripts are not for sale AFAIK (I saw a Tweet from the writer while I
>> was researching) and I don't think anybody else has transcribed it
>> yet.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Nick
>> PS This is part of my continuing battle for subtitles on the radio.
>> EQDSO finds it much easier to listen in English if the spoken words
>> can be displayed at the same time and we've had lots of fun already
>> with found transcriptions of Cabin Pressure and Clare in the Community
>> and I'd like to add more. TBH I too find it easier to listen these
>> days if I read as I listen.
>> PPS Conversations from a Long Marriage by Jan Etherington, since you
>> ask.
>>

>I’m sure there must be plenty of voice to text transcription services
>available.
>
>Eg. https://get.otter.ai/interview-transcription/
>
>https://cloud.google.com/speech-to-text/
>
>https://dictation.io

Thanks, Tim

I shall have a play around with them: the first one looks particularly
apt.

Nick

Re: Transcribing a radio programme

<stj10c$4km$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7301&group=uk.rec.sheds#7301

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Transcribing a radio programme
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:00:24 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:00 UTC

Just press record on the Iphone? Though it does not cope with people talking
over each other or a lot of background noise. Its not free but is
reasonable. It seems to make stereo recordings and transcribe at the same
time with variable results. Work better if directly connected to the output
via the appropriate dongle as we all know Iphone has just the one lightning
connector.
I guess any so called voice recognition app might do it, there are some fee
ones for windoze, but not up to date with them. I rather wondered if there
might not be a gap in the market here, as android phones seem to have a more
accurate voice to recognition engine.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to transcribe a radio programme. I figure that it would be
> quicker and easier to correct an auto-transcription than to start with
> a blank sheet of paper, so to speak. So where to start? Would YouTube
> automatically CloseCaption it for me if I uploaded it there? The
> scripts are not for sale AFAIK (I saw a Tweet from the writer while I
> was researching) and I don't think anybody else has transcribed it
> yet.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nick
> PS This is part of my continuing battle for subtitles on the radio.
> EQDSO finds it much easier to listen in English if the spoken words
> can be displayed at the same time and we've had lots of fun already
> with found transcriptions of Cabin Pressure and Clare in the Community
> and I'd like to add more. TBH I too find it easier to listen these
> days if I read as I listen.
> PPS Conversations from a Long Marriage by Jan Etherington, since you
> ask.

Re: FOAK: Transcribing a radio programme

<slrnsvq229.e1o.bap@gamma.gizmodynamics.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7303&group=uk.rec.sheds#7303

From: bap...@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 4 Feb 2022 11:04:41 GMT
 by: Bernard Peek - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:04 UTC

On 2022-02-03, Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> I'd like to transcribe a radio programme. I figure that it would be
> quicker and easier to correct an auto-transcription than to start with
> a blank sheet of paper, so to speak. So where to start? Would YouTube
> automatically CloseCaption it for me if I uploaded it there? The
> scripts are not for sale AFAIK (I saw a Tweet from the writer while I
> was researching) and I don't think anybody else has transcribed it
> yet.

It sounds like something that RNID might be involved in. It's not directly
related to their work but they may well know the right people to talk to.
Once upon a time if you had phoned them to ask about it the call would have
come to me.

That nice Mr Google suggested looking at:

https://www.folio3.ai/blog/best-free-speech-to-text-software/

Feel free to email me if there is anything I can do.

--
Bernard Peek
bap@shrdlu.com

Re: Transcribing a radio programme

<7g6qvg9j3un6b15elutppmtivjvchci6bs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7304&group=uk.rec.sheds#7304

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 12:22:15 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 12:22 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:00:24 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Just press record on the Iphone? Though it does not cope with people talking
>over each other or a lot of background noise. Its not free but is
>reasonable. It seems to make stereo recordings and transcribe at the same
>time with variable results. Work better if directly connected to the output
>via the appropriate dongle as we all know Iphone has just the one lightning
>connector.
> I guess any so called voice recognition app might do it, there are some fee
>ones for windoze, but not up to date with them. I rather wondered if there
>might not be a gap in the market here, as android phones seem to have a more
>accurate voice to recognition engine.

Who are these Ei Phone and Anne Droid of whom you speak?

Nick

Re: FOAK: Transcribing a radio programme

<tj6qvg9lbjjd0tsv5qbrsudrhcqfacq7md@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7305&group=uk.rec.sheds#7305

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 12:23:35 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 12:23 UTC

On 4 Feb 2022 11:04:41 GMT, Bernard Peek <bap@shrdlu.com> wrote:

>On 2022-02-03, Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to transcribe a radio programme. I figure that it would be
>> quicker and easier to correct an auto-transcription than to start with
>> a blank sheet of paper, so to speak. So where to start? Would YouTube
>> automatically CloseCaption it for me if I uploaded it there? The
>> scripts are not for sale AFAIK (I saw a Tweet from the writer while I
>> was researching) and I don't think anybody else has transcribed it
>> yet.
>
>It sounds like something that RNID might be involved in. It's not directly
>related to their work but they may well know the right people to talk to.
>Once upon a time if you had phoned them to ask about it the call would have
>come to me.
>
>That nice Mr Google suggested looking at:
>
>https://www.folio3.ai/blog/best-free-speech-to-text-software/

That's an interesting list. There's even an overlap with Tim's
suggestion in there so I think that's where I'll start.