The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

SubjectAuthor
* Advice on a backup solution, pleaseGB
+* Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseRobin
|+* Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseRobin
||+- Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseGB
||`* Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseGlowingBlueMist
|| +- Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleasenewshound
|| `- Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseGordon
|`* Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseF
| `* Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseAndy
|  `- Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseF
`* Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseJaimie Vandenbergh
 `* Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseRobin
  `- Re: Advice on a backup solution, pleaseDavid

1
Advice on a backup solution, please

<s4mtf3$1n0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=675&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#675

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Advice on a backup solution, please
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 13:37:56 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 12:37 UTC

A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
backup.

I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.

What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using USB,
copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her daughter
to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs, and that will
limit the amount she loses when there's the next catastrophe.

Can anyone suggest some suitable software, please? She runs windows 10.
She just needs straight file copying, without any frills. No
compression. No incremental backup, etc. It needs to report when it's
finished and report how much has been backed up.

Is USB 3.1 going to be practical for backing up that amount of data?
Theoretical speed is 10Gb/s, ie around 60GB/min. That implies it can
backup 8TB in two hours. In practice, if she has a SATA 3 drive, that
will be the bottleneck. She can just plug it in and leave the backup
running overnight.

Any help gratefully received.

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<cb0b8f4f-2f40-3da3-619c-fd70759a87d2@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=676&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#676

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Advice on a backup solution, please
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 14:13:51 +0100
 by: Robin - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 13:13 UTC

On 08/04/2021 13:37, GB wrote:
> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
> backup.
>
> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>
> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using USB,
> copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her daughter
> to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs, and that will
> limit the amount she loses when there's the next catastrophe.
>
> Can anyone suggest some suitable software, please? She runs windows 10.
> She just needs straight file copying, without any frills. No
> compression. No incremental backup, etc. It needs to report when it's
> finished and report how much has been backed up.
>
> Is USB 3.1 going to be practical for backing up that amount of data?
> Theoretical speed is 10Gb/s, ie around 60GB/min. That implies it can
> backup 8TB in two hours. In practice, if she has a SATA 3 drive, that
> will be the bottleneck. She can just plug it in and leave the backup
> running overnight.
>
> Any help gratefully received.

If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
Syncback.

https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html

Main reasons:

a. it's free

b. the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or reverse
those changes.

--
Robin

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<1210287e-5a3a-403a-e92c-5fc140031e17@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=677&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#677

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 16:50:05 +0100
 by: Robin - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 15:50 UTC

On 08/04/2021 14:13, Robin wrote:
> On 08/04/2021 13:37, GB wrote:
>> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
>> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
>> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
>> backup.
>>
>> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
>> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>>
>> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using USB,
>> copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her
>> daughter to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs, and
>> that will limit the amount she loses when there's the next catastrophe.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest some suitable software, please? She runs windows
>> 10. She just needs straight file copying, without any frills. No
>> compression. No incremental backup, etc. It needs to report when it's
>> finished and report how much has been backed up.
>>
>> Is USB 3.1 going to be practical for backing up that amount of data?
>> Theoretical speed is 10Gb/s, ie around 60GB/min. That implies it can
>> backup 8TB in two hours. In practice, if she has a SATA 3 drive, that
>> will be the bottleneck. She can just plug it in and leave the backup
>> running overnight.
>>
>> Any help gratefully received.
>>

> If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
> Syncback.
>

> https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
>
> Main reasons:
>
> a.    it's free
>
> b.    the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
> deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or reverse
> those changes.

PS
I should have added that I've not looked at other options since 2015 and
stopped then after I tried Syncback so there are v possibly better options.
--
Robin

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<s4nanh$2pt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=678&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#678

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 17:24:18 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 16:24 UTC

On 08/04/2021 16:50, Robin wrote:
> On 08/04/2021 14:13, Robin wrote:
>> On 08/04/2021 13:37, GB wrote:
>>> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
>>> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
>>> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
>>> backup.
>>>
>>> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
>>> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>>>
>>> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using
>>> USB, copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her
>>> daughter to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs,
>>> and that will limit the amount she loses when there's the next
>>> catastrophe.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest some suitable software, please? She runs windows
>>> 10. She just needs straight file copying, without any frills. No
>>> compression. No incremental backup, etc. It needs to report when it's
>>> finished and report how much has been backed up.
>>>
>>> Is USB 3.1 going to be practical for backing up that amount of data?
>>> Theoretical speed is 10Gb/s, ie around 60GB/min. That implies it can
>>> backup 8TB in two hours. In practice, if she has a SATA 3 drive, that
>>> will be the bottleneck. She can just plug it in and leave the backup
>>> running overnight.
>>>
>>> Any help gratefully received.
>>>

>> If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
>> Syncback.
>>

>> https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
>>
>> Main reasons:
>>
>> a.    it's free
>>
>> b.    the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
>> deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or
>> reverse those changes.
>>

> PS
> I should have added that I've not looked at other options since 2015 and
> stopped then after I tried Syncback so there are v possibly better options.

I've just been looking at it, and I think I'll start using it. When I've
tried it out, I'll decide whether to recommend it to this lady.

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<s4nci9$gdo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=679&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#679

From: GlowingB...@blackhole.io (GlowingBlueMist)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 11:55:35 -0500
 by: GlowingBlueMist - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 16:55 UTC

On 4/8/2021 10:50 AM, Robin wrote:
> On 08/04/2021 14:13, Robin wrote:
>> On 08/04/2021 13:37, GB wrote:
>>> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
>>> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
>>> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
>>> backup.
>>>
>>> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
>>> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>>>
>>> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using
>>> USB, copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her
>>> daughter to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs,
>>> and that will limit the amount she loses when there's the next
>>> catastrophe.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest some suitable software, please? She runs windows
>>> 10. She just needs straight file copying, without any frills. No
>>> compression. No incremental backup, etc. It needs to report when it's
>>> finished and report how much has been backed up.
>>>
>>> Is USB 3.1 going to be practical for backing up that amount of data?
>>> Theoretical speed is 10Gb/s, ie around 60GB/min. That implies it can
>>> backup 8TB in two hours. In practice, if she has a SATA 3 drive, that
>>> will be the bottleneck. She can just plug it in and leave the backup
>>> running overnight.
>>>
>>> Any help gratefully received.
>>>

>> If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
>> Syncback.
>>

>> https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
>>
>> Main reasons:
>>
>> a.    it's free
>>
>> b.    the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
>> deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or
>> reverse those changes.
>>

> PS
> I should have added that I've not looked at other options since 2015 and
> stopped then after I tried Syncback so there are v possibly better options.

I use SyncBack as well to backup my critical data.

The initial backup time can be quite lengthy depending on the amount of
data you are backing up. The good thing is that subsequent backups are
incremental along with any new stuff so they tend to go relatively fast.

Having multiple hard drives available in my tower PC I have created four
automatic schedules (Profiles). A daily backup to one drive, weekly
backups (copy of the latest daily) to another, and even/odd monthly
backups (copies of the weekly). Overkill, possibly but I can routinely

I also keep a couple of 128GB flash drives with copies of the monthly
backups as a last resort, but I do have to insert those drives into the
system prior to manually starting that particular SyncBack profile. The
flash backups are kept unplugged until needed in case some ransomware
sneaks into the system and corrupts all the physically attached hard
drive backups.

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<id95v5Fkgq9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=682&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#682

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 8 Apr 2021 20:04:53 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:04 UTC

On 8 Apr 2021 at 13:37:56 BST, "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
> backup.
>
> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>
> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using USB,
> copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her daughter
> to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs, and that will
> limit the amount she loses when there's the next catastrophe.

I'd suggest using an online service, and specifically Backblaze. With
zero effort after installation (and paying $60 a year) everything will
be backed up.

That's a lot of years for the cost of those hard drives, and is more
likely to actually back stuff up.

She should really also look into learning how her RAID works, to avoid
losing everything at the local end again.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the
product being sold.

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<nLGdnVZVyPEj_vL9nZ2dnUU78dvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=683&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#683

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 21:12:45 +0100
 by: newshound - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:12 UTC

On 08/04/2021 17:55, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
> On 4/8/2021 10:50 AM, Robin wrote:

>>> If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
>>> Syncback.
>>>

>>> https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
>>>
>>> Main reasons:
>>>
>>> a.    it's free
>>>
>>> b.    the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
>>> deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or
>>> reverse those changes.
>>>

>> PS
>> I should have added that I've not looked at other options since 2015
>> and stopped then after I tried Syncback so there are v possibly better
>> options.
>
> I use SyncBack as well to backup my critical data.
>
> The initial backup time can be quite lengthy depending on the amount of
> data you are backing up.  The good thing is that subsequent backups are
> incremental along with any new stuff so they tend to go relatively fast.
>
> Having multiple hard drives available in my tower PC I have created four
> automatic schedules (Profiles).  A daily backup to one drive, weekly
> backups (copy of the latest daily) to another, and even/odd monthly
> backups (copies of the weekly).  Overkill, possibly but I can routinely
>
> I also keep a couple of 128GB flash drives with copies of the monthly
> backups as a last resort, but I do have to insert those drives into the
> system prior to manually starting that particular SyncBack profile.  The
> flash backups are kept unplugged until needed in case some ransomware
> sneaks into the system and corrupts all the physically attached hard
> drive backups.

Thanks (also to Robin), that looks very good. I have a little set of
batch files using RoboCopy that I run manually. (I do keep offline and
offsite copies of important stuff). But I am planning to beef up my
network and I ought to update my system.

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<idadhdFraotU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=685&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#685

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 9 Apr 2021 07:20:13 GMT
 by: Gordon - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 07:20 UTC

On 2021-04-08, GlowingBlueMist <GlowingBlueMist@blackhole.io> wrote:
> On 4/8/2021 10:50 AM, Robin wrote:

>>> If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
>>> Syncback.
>>>

>>> https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
>>>
>>> Main reasons:
>>>
>>> a.    it's free
>>>
>>> b.    the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
>>> deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or
>>> reverse those changes.
>>>

>> PS
>> I should have added that I've not looked at other options since 2015 and
>> stopped then after I tried Syncback so there are v possibly better options.
>
> I use SyncBack as well to backup my critical data.
>
> The initial backup time can be quite lengthy depending on the amount of
> data you are backing up. The good thing is that subsequent backups are
> incremental along with any new stuff so they tend to go relatively fast.
>
> Having multiple hard drives available in my tower PC I have created four
> automatic schedules (Profiles). A daily backup to one drive, weekly
> backups (copy of the latest daily) to another, and even/odd monthly
> backups (copies of the weekly). Overkill, possibly but I can routinely

There are somethings one can never have too many of, backups is one. Valves
on a watermain is another.

You might like to think about disk size. They do fail and 12TB is alot of
data

Rule for backups is to have at least 3 copies of the files.

Also might like to consider when the files are generated and how often they
cahnge. Photos tend to fall into the storgae/archive end of things so just
make sure you have 3 copies and worry about the fast changing ones.

Finally RAID is *not* a backup.

> I also keep a couple of 128GB flash drives with copies of the monthly
> backups as a last resort, but I do have to insert those drives into the
> system prior to manually starting that particular SyncBack profile. The
> flash backups are kept unplugged until needed in case some ransomware
> sneaks into the system and corrupts all the physically attached hard
> drive backups.

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<bdd77b46-cf1d-8c80-ce7e-5712f0b3cc1d@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=688&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#688

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 10:47:28 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 09:47 UTC

On 08/04/2021 21:04, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2021 at 13:37:56 BST, "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
>> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
>> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
>> backup.
>>
>> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
>> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>>
>> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using USB,
>> copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her daughter
>> to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs, and that will
>> limit the amount she loses when there's the next catastrophe.
>
> I'd suggest using an online service, and specifically Backblaze. With
> zero effort after installation (and paying $60 a year) everything will
> be backed up.

that's an astonishing price - though she might need to factor in an
upgrade to her broadband package: 8TB would take me over 70 days to
upload with no other traffic with 10 Mbps upload, and if she's on a
basic TalkTalk package at 1 Mbps...

--
Robin

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<idanghFis22U7@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=690&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#690

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 9 Apr 2021 10:10:25 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 10:10 UTC

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 10:47:28 +0100, Robin wrote:

> On 08/04/2021 21:04, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On 8 Apr 2021 at 13:37:56 BST, "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
>>> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
>>> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
>>> backup.
>>>
>>> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
>>> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>>>
>>> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using USB,
>>> copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her
>>> daughter to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs, and
>>> that will limit the amount she loses when there's the next
>>> catastrophe.
>>
>> I'd suggest using an online service, and specifically Backblaze. With
>> zero effort after installation (and paying $60 a year) everything will
>> be backed up.
>>

> that's an astonishing price - though she might need to factor in an
> upgrade to her broadband package: 8TB would take me over 70 days to
> upload with no other traffic with 10 Mbps upload, and if she's on a
> basic TalkTalk package at 1 Mbps...

The test restore to prove out the backup might take a while as well.

Given that a backup isn't until you have successfully restored.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<CNWdnVXiLqn3SO_9nZ2dnUU78eednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=710&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#710

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: new...@nowhere (F)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:54:35 +0100
 by: F - Sun, 11 Apr 2021 10:54 UTC

On 08/04/2021 14:13, Robin wrote:
> On 08/04/2021 13:37, GB wrote:
>> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
>> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
>> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
>> backup.
>>
>> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
>> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>>
>> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using USB,
>> copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her daughter
>> to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs, and that will
>> limit the amount she loses when there's the next catastrophe.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest some suitable software, please? She runs windows 10.
>> She just needs straight file copying, without any frills. No
>> compression. No incremental backup, etc. It needs to report when it's
>> finished and report how much has been backed up.
>>
>> Is USB 3.1 going to be practical for backing up that amount of data?
>> Theoretical speed is 10Gb/s, ie around 60GB/min. That implies it can
>> backup 8TB in two hours. In practice, if she has a SATA 3 drive, that
>> will be the bottleneck. She can just plug it in and leave the backup
>> running overnight.
>>
>> Any help gratefully received.
>>

> If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
> Syncback.
>

> https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
>
> Main reasons:
>
> a. it's free
>
> b. the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
> deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or reverse
> those changes.

I've been using Syncback for several years now without any issues.

I backup:

- selected files 'on change'

- selected folders to internal drives on alternate days

- selected folders to two Cat 6-connected NASs weekly and alternating.
One NAS lives in the garage and the other in a room away from my desktop
machine.

--
Frank

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<PfGdnRRpwOVNe-_9nZ2dnUU78W-dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=711&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#711

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 13:08:48 +0100
 by: Andy - Sun, 11 Apr 2021 12:08 UTC

On 11/04/2021 11:54, F wrote:
> On 08/04/2021 14:13, Robin wrote:
>> On 08/04/2021 13:37, GB wrote:
>>> A friend of mine always has problems with her computer. I asked her
>>> about backup, and she says she has "a RAID" which has gone wrong and
>>> lost her data. That sounds like her primary disk array, rather than a
>>> backup.
>>>
>>> I'll add that she has about 8TB of photos to backup, plus some other
>>> files. That amount is growing fairly rapidly.
>>>
>>> What I think she needs is 3 12TB discs. She can plug one in using
>>> USB, copy across the files, then disconnect and take it round to her
>>> daughter to keep. She can do that every month, rotating the discs,
>>> and that will limit the amount she loses when there's the next
>>> catastrophe.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest some suitable software, please? She runs windows
>>> 10. She just needs straight file copying, without any frills. No
>>> compression. No incremental backup, etc. It needs to report when it's
>>> finished and report how much has been backed up.
>>>
>>> Is USB 3.1 going to be practical for backing up that amount of data?
>>> Theoretical speed is 10Gb/s, ie around 60GB/min. That implies it can
>>> backup 8TB in two hours. In practice, if she has a SATA 3 drive, that
>>> will be the bottleneck. She can just plug it in and leave the backup
>>> running overnight.
>>>
>>> Any help gratefully received.
>>>

>> If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
>> Syncback.
>>

>> https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
>>
>> Main reasons:
>>
>> a.    it's free
>>
>> b.    the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
>> deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or reverse
>> those changes.
>>
> I've been using Syncback for several years now without any issues.
>
> I backup:
>
> - selected files 'on change'
>
> - selected folders to internal drives on alternate days
>
> - selected folders to two Cat 6-connected NASs weekly and alternating.
> One NAS lives in the garage and the other in a room away from my desktop
> machine.

There's a good tutorial of how you get it down to 3 clicks on youtube
here. Using mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVBL0cjuD9k

Re: Advice on a backup solution, please

<P9ydnTQdJN9Nd-j9nZ2dnUU78TudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=729&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#729

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: new...@nowhere (F)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 20:02:40 +0100
 by: F - Tue, 13 Apr 2021 19:02 UTC

On 11/04/2021 13:08, Andy wrote:
> On 11/04/2021 11:54, F wrote:

>>> If she is modestly capable/biddable I recommend the free version of
>>> Syncback.
>>>

>>> https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
>>>
>>> Main reasons:
>>>
>>> a.    it's free
>>>
>>> b.    the "synchronise" option lets her see what she has
>>> deleted/moved/renamed etc and can decide whether to replicate or reverse
>>> those changes.
>>>
>> I've been using Syncback for several years now without any issues.
>>
>> I backup:
>>
>> - selected files 'on change'
>>
>> - selected folders to internal drives on alternate days
>>
>> - selected folders to two Cat 6-connected NASs weekly and alternating.
>> One NAS lives in the garage and the other in a room away from my desktop
>> machine.
>>
> There's a good tutorial of how you get it down to 3 clicks on youtube
> here. Using mirror
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVBL0cjuD9k

No clicks needed: it all happens automagically.

--
Frank