From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Restore old photo
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 13:13:34 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 12:13 UTC

I have an old backup of my Hardy Heron setup, of some years ago. I am
looking for one particular image, and I have found its thumbnail in a
folder:
xxx/Hardy_heron-backup/home/david/thumbnails/normal/*.png
How do I locate the full-size image? What is it called?

Any help most welcome. I can find lots of ways to create thumbnails,
but not to work with those already created.

--
Davey.

Re: Restore old photo

<tfa7ce$831f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=726&group=uk.comp.os.linux#726

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Restore old photo
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:46:54 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 13:46 UTC

Am Mittwoch, 07. September 2022, um 13:13:34 Uhr schrieb Davey:

> I have an old backup of my Hardy Heron setup, of some years ago. I am
> looking for one particular image, and I have found its thumbnail in a
> folder:
> xxx/Hardy_heron-backup/home/david/thumbnails/normal/*.png
> How do I locate the full-size image? What is it called?
>
> Any help most welcome. I can find lots of ways to create thumbnails,
> but not to work with those already created.

You can't create the original picture from a thumbnail.

You can use find to locate all pictures on that folder.
This is the only way I know how to find it. I don't know a way to guess
the file name from them thumbnail, but that doesn't mean, that such a
way doesn't exist.

Re: Restore old photo

<4hmmui-8t2b2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=727&group=uk.comp.os.linux#727

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:30:28 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 14:30 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> I have an old backup of my Hardy Heron setup, of some years ago. I am
> looking for one particular image, and I have found its thumbnail in a
> folder:
> xxx/Hardy_heron-backup/home/david/thumbnails/normal/*.png
> How do I locate the full-size image? What is it called?
>
> Any help most welcome. I can find lots of ways to create thumbnails,
> but not to work with those already created.

I'd guess the full-size image will have the same (or at least similar)
name as the thumbnail but be in a different directory.

So, if the thumbnail is img123456.jpg then do a find something like:-

find xxx/Hardy_heron-backup/home/david -name '*123456*'

Put the real directory names in of course and tune the '*123456*' as
required.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: Restore old photo

<tfagia$94hp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=729&group=uk.comp.os.linux#729

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:23:37 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 16:23 UTC

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:30:28 +0100
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > I have an old backup of my Hardy Heron setup, of some years ago. I
> > am looking for one particular image, and I have found its thumbnail
> > in a folder:
> > xxx/Hardy_heron-backup/home/david/thumbnails/normal/*.png
> > How do I locate the full-size image? What is it called?
> >
> > Any help most welcome. I can find lots of ways to create thumbnails,
> > but not to work with those already created.
> >
> I'd guess the full-size image will have the same (or at least similar)
> name as the thumbnail but be in a different directory.
>
> So, if the thumbnail is img123456.jpg then do a find something like:-
>
> find xxx/Hardy_heron-backup/home/david -name '*123456*'
>
> Put the real directory names in of course and tune the '*123456*' as
> required.

Hmm, that sounds likely. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Thanks.
--
Davey.

Re: Restore old photo

<tfagln$94hp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=730&group=uk.comp.os.linux#730

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:25:26 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 16:25 UTC

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:46:54 +0200
Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 07. September 2022, um 13:13:34 Uhr schrieb Davey:
>
> > I have an old backup of my Hardy Heron setup, of some years ago. I
> > am looking for one particular image, and I have found its thumbnail
> > in a folder:
> > xxx/Hardy_heron-backup/home/david/thumbnails/normal/*.png
> > How do I locate the full-size image? What is it called?
> >
> > Any help most welcome. I can find lots of ways to create thumbnails,
> > but not to work with those already created.
>
> You can't create the original picture from a thumbnail.

I know, that's why I'm trying to find the full-size image.

> You can use find to locate all pictures on that folder.
> This is the only way I know how to find it. I don't know a way to
> guess the file name from them thumbnail, but that doesn't mean, that
> such a way doesn't exist.

And that matches Chris Green's advice, so it must be the way to go.
Thanks.
--
Davey.

Re: Restore old photo

<20220907185307.0aaf778e@devuan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=731&group=uk.comp.os.linux#731

From: gene...@musically.me.uk (Folderol)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:53:07 +0100
 by: Folderol - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:53 UTC

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:25:26 +0100
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:46:54 +0200
>Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Mittwoch, 07. September 2022, um 13:13:34 Uhr schrieb Davey:
>>
>> > I have an old backup of my Hardy Heron setup, of some years ago. I
>> > am looking for one particular image, and I have found its thumbnail
>> > in a folder:
>> > xxx/Hardy_heron-backup/home/david/thumbnails/normal/*.png
>> > How do I locate the full-size image? What is it called?
>> >
>> > Any help most welcome. I can find lots of ways to create thumbnails,
>> > but not to work with those already created.
>>
>> You can't create the original picture from a thumbnail.
>
>I know, that's why I'm trying to find the full-size image.
>

>> You can use find to locate all pictures on that folder.
>> This is the only way I know how to find it. I don't know a way to
>> guess the file name from them thumbnail, but that doesn't mean, that
>> such a way doesn't exist.
>>

>And that matches Chris Green's advice, so it must be the way to go.
>Thanks.

One thing to try is locate. If you haven't got it installed grab it off your
distro, then as root:
updatedb

Once done as a normal user you can just enter:
locate {some partial name} and it will list all occurrences across your entire
system.

--
Basic

Re: Restore old photo

<tfam2h$94hp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=732&group=uk.comp.os.linux#732

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:57:37 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:57 UTC

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:53:07 +0100
Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:25:26 +0100
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:46:54 +0200
> >Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

> >> You can't create the original picture from a thumbnail.
> >
> >I know, that's why I'm trying to find the full-size image.
> >

> >> You can use find to locate all pictures on that folder.
> >> This is the only way I know how to find it. I don't know a way to
> >> guess the file name from them thumbnail, but that doesn't mean,
> >> that such a way doesn't exist.
> >>

> >And that matches Chris Green's advice, so it must be the way to go.
> >Thanks.
>

> One thing to try is locate. If you haven't got it installed grab it
> off your distro, then as root:
> updatedb
>
> Once done as a normal user you can just enter:
> locate {some partial name} and it will list all occurrences across
> your entire system.

That sounds interesting, thanks.
--
Davey.