Gratitude, like love, is never a dependable international emotion. -- Joseph Alsop

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / password managers

SubjectAuthor
* password managersTimH
+* password managersDavid Kennedy
|`* password managersTimH
| +- password managersDavid Kennedy
| +- password managersnospam
| `* password managersChris Ridd
|  `* password managersTimH
|   `- password managersTimH
+- password managersChris
`* password managersTimH
 +- password managersMark
 `* password managersTheo
  `- password managersTimH

1
password managers

<ja0ef8FfhdqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7322&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7322

From: thn...@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: password managers
Date: 23 Mar 2022 11:26:32 GMT
 by: TimH - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:26 UTC

I've been surviving on a non-subscription licence for 1Password 6 until now,
but having just upgraded to Monterey, feel like I'm living on borrowed time.

It seems as though most of the competition is similarly priced to 1Password
now, with the exception of Bitkeeper. Much cheaper ($10 a year for the
'Premium' version) and based on open source.

The only problem is that it apparently has an unresolved problem/bug with
failing, on some sites, to recognise that you've updated your password. Anyone
with experience of Bitkeeper who can comment?

If it comes to it, I won't be too upset to pay out for 1Password, but am
increasingly aware of the number of subscriptions piling up....
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: password managers

<6JadnZqu1Jdalqb_nZ2dnUU7-f_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7325&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7325

Subject: Re: password managers
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:00:07 +0000
 by: David Kennedy - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:00 UTC

On 23/03/2022 11:26, TimH wrote:
> I've been surviving on a non-subscription licence for 1Password 6 until now,
> but having just upgraded to Monterey, feel like I'm living on borrowed time.
>
> It seems as though most of the competition is similarly priced to 1Password
> now, with the exception of Bitkeeper. Much cheaper ($10 a year for the
> 'Premium' version) and based on open source.
>
> The only problem is that it apparently has an unresolved problem/bug with
> failing, on some sites, to recognise that you've updated your password. Anyone
> with experience of Bitkeeper who can comment?
>
> If it comes to it, I won't be too upset to pay out for 1Password, but am
> increasingly aware of the number of subscriptions piling up....

Any particular reason why you don't like keychain?

It just does the job and syncs well.

I've used onePass and lastpass but abandoned them because of the subscriptions
etc.

Re: password managers

<ja0i6aFg7mdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7328&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7328

From: thn...@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Mar 2022 12:30:02 GMT
 by: TimH - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:30 UTC

On 23 Mar 2022 at 12:00:07 pm GMT, "David Kennedy" <davidkennedygm@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Any particular reason why you don't like keychain?
>
> It just does the job and syncs well.

AFAIK it doesn't work with Firefox, does it? Also I've got used to 1Password's
password generation options - length, number of digits/symbols, etc.

--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: password managers

<t1f9sa$3of$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7329&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7329

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:12:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1OR0PGBNFVTC4VG1/19BHG2wzjk=
 by: Chris - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:12 UTC

TimH <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:
> I've been surviving on a non-subscription licence for 1Password 6 until now,
> but having just upgraded to Monterey, feel like I'm living on borrowed time.
>
> It seems as though most of the competition is similarly priced to 1Password
> now, with the exception of Bitkeeper. Much cheaper ($10 a year for the
> 'Premium' version) and based on open source.
>
> The only problem is that it apparently has an unresolved problem/bug with
> failing, on some sites, to recognise that you've updated your password. Anyone
> with experience of Bitkeeper who can comment?
>
> If it comes to it, I won't be too upset to pay out for 1Password, but am
> increasingly aware of the number of subscriptions piling up....

I use enpass which I bought a lifetime subscription, but it's possible
their pricing model has changed.

There's always the free keepass options, but they're not that polished.

Re: password managers

<D5SdnccdOMnJtqb_nZ2dnUU7-RnNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7330&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7330

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:14:43 +0000
 by: David Kennedy - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:14 UTC

On 23/03/2022 12:30, TimH wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2022 at 12:00:07 pm GMT, "David Kennedy" <davidkennedygm@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Any particular reason why you don't like keychain?
>>
>> It just does the job and syncs well.
>
> AFAIK it doesn't work with Firefox, does it? Also I've got used to 1Password's
> password generation options - length, number of digits/symbols, etc.

Ahhh

Firefox has it's own password dohicky which seems to work but I couldn't say
how secure it may or may not be.

Re: password managers

<230320221028575157%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7331&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7331

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:28:57 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:28 UTC

In article <ja0i6aFg7mdU1@mid.individual.net>, TimH
<thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:

> > Any particular reason why you don't like keychain?
> >
> > It just does the job and syncs well.
>
> AFAIK it doesn't work with Firefox, does it? Also I've got used to 1Password's
> password generation options - length, number of digits/symbols, etc.

keychain is also not cross-platform and doesn't have anywhere near the
feature set that 1password has, including totp and the ability to store
files, which is useful for storing keys, qr codes, etc.

Re: password managers

<t1fsvu$7n8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7332&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7332

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 19:38:37 +0000
 by: Chris Ridd - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 19:38 UTC

On 23/03/2022 12:30, TimH wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2022 at 12:00:07 pm GMT, "David Kennedy" <davidkennedygm@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Any particular reason why you don't like keychain?
>>
>> It just does the job and syncs well.
>
> AFAIK it doesn't work with Firefox, does it? Also I've got used to 1Password's
> password generation options - length, number of digits/symbols, etc.

1P (and bitwarden) can generate those secure one time passcodes (999
999) as well, which is rather handy. Yes, it'd be more secure to
generate those on a yubikey or similar, but whatever.

I store loads of other things safely in 1P, like NHS numbers, passport
numbers, and so on.

I'm waiting for 1P 8 to appear, as it means I can get a cheap 1P family
subscription (*) and finally transition my wife off of a notebook and
various cat-related passwords. I'm not subscribing while my 1P 7 license
still works.

* Agilebits offer quite long periods of very reduced subscriptions to
existing users. Basically raise a support ticket and ask.

--
Chris

Re: password managers

<ja1mutFn3t2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7333&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7333

From: thn...@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Mar 2022 22:57:35 GMT
 by: TimH - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:57 UTC

On 23 Mar 2022 at 7:38:37 pm GMT, "Chris Ridd" <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:

> On 23/03/2022 12:30, TimH wrote:
>> On 23 Mar 2022 at 12:00:07 pm GMT, "David Kennedy" <davidkennedygm@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Any particular reason why you don't like keychain?
>>>
>>> It just does the job and syncs well.
>>
>> AFAIK it doesn't work with Firefox, does it? Also I've got used to 1Password's
>> password generation options - length, number of digits/symbols, etc.
>
> 1P (and bitwarden) can generate those secure one time passcodes (999
> 999) as well, which is rather handy. Yes, it'd be more secure to
> generate those on a yubikey or similar, but whatever.

Ah yes - for 'Bitkeeper' in my original post, read Bitwarden. Brainfart.

> * Agilebits offer quite long periods of very reduced subscriptions to
> existing users. Basically raise a support ticket and ask.

Definitely something to bear in mind - thanks.
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: password managers

<ja1nhjFn7aoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7334&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7334

From: thn...@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Mar 2022 23:07:31 GMT
 by: TimH - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:07 UTC

On 23 Mar 2022 at 10:57:35 pm GMT, "TimH" <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid>
wrote:

>> * Agilebits offer quite long periods of very reduced subscriptions to
>> existing users. Basically raise a support ticket and ask.
>
> Definitely something to bear in mind - thanks.

In fact I just looked on their forum and found:

"Simply email our dedicated migration team at support+tradein@1password.com
your license, and enjoy 50% off your first 3 years. After emailing in, you'll
receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly support assistant, with a support ID
that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able
to connect the dots and ensure your message has made it to the right place.
Thanks again!"

--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: password managers

<jbgt6nFpkovU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7676&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7676

From: thn...@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 10 Apr 2022 20:32:23 GMT
 by: TimH - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:32 UTC

On 23 Mar 2022 at 12:26:32 pm GMT, "TimH" <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid>
wrote:

> I've been surviving on a non-subscription licence for 1Password 6 until now,
> but having just upgraded to Monterey, feel like I'm living on borrowed time.
>
> It seems as though most of the competition is similarly priced to 1Password
> now, with the exception of Bitkeeper. Much cheaper ($10 a year for the
> 'Premium' version) and based on open source.
>
> The only problem is that it apparently has an unresolved problem/bug with
> failing, on some sites, to recognise that you've updated your password. Anyone
> with experience of Bitkeeper who can comment?
>
> If it comes to it, I won't be too upset to pay out for 1Password, but am
> increasingly aware of the number of subscriptions piling up....

Just to update, in case anyone's interested: I decided to give BitWarden
(which is what I meant when I wrote Bitkeeper) a go, and so far am very happy
with it. Haven't hit the updating problem so far, the export from 1Password
and import went very smoothly (BitWarden choked on one entry but I just
removed it and manually re-entered it).

The only hitch I've hit so far is that Apple rules don't permit the direct
download version to have the Safari extension; you have to download the App
Store version for that.

Otherwise, a good move I think...
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: password managers

<t2vjte$dk5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7678&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7678

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 22:58:06 +0100
 by: Mark - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:58 UTC

On 2022-04-10 20:32:23 +0000, TimH <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> said:

> On 23 Mar 2022 at 12:26:32 pm GMT, "TimH" <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I've been surviving on a non-subscription licence for 1Password 6 until now,
>> but having just upgraded to Monterey, feel like I'm living on borrowed time.
>>
>> It seems as though most of the competition is similarly priced to 1Password
>> now, with the exception of Bitkeeper. Much cheaper ($10 a year for the
>> 'Premium' version) and based on open source.
>>
>> The only problem is that it apparently has an unresolved problem/bug with
>> failing, on some sites, to recognise that you've updated your password. Anyone
>> with experience of Bitkeeper who can comment?
>>
>> If it comes to it, I won't be too upset to pay out for 1Password, but am
>> increasingly aware of the number of subscriptions piling up....
>
> Just to update, in case anyone's interested: I decided to give BitWarden
> (which is what I meant when I wrote Bitkeeper) a go, and so far am very happy
> with it. Haven't hit the updating problem so far, the export from 1Password
> and import went very smoothly (BitWarden choked on one entry but I just
> removed it and manually re-entered it).
>
> The only hitch I've hit so far is that Apple rules don't permit the direct
> download version to have the Safari extension; you have to download the App
> Store version for that.
>
> Otherwise, a good move I think...

You can run them side-by-side to try out?
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: password managers

<QJg*sqqLy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7686&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7686

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 11 Apr 2022 12:26:02 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:26 UTC

TimH <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:
> Just to update, in case anyone's interested: I decided to give BitWarden
> (which is what I meant when I wrote Bitkeeper) a go, and so far am very
> happy with it. Haven't hit the updating problem so far, the export from
> 1Password and import went very smoothly (BitWarden choked on one entry but
> I just removed it and manually re-entered it).

It's worth mentioning that BitWarden's server is open source and can be run
locally, but is massively oversized for most people's uses. However there's
a reimplementation that will run in a single lightweight Docker container:
https://github.com/dani-garcia/vaultwarden

So if you want to host your repo locally (eg on a NAS or something) you can.

Theo

Re: password managers

<jbj1h0F7iorU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7704&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7704

From: thn...@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 11 Apr 2022 15:58:24 GMT
 by: TimH - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:58 UTC

On 11 Apr 2022 at 12:26:02 pm BST, "Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> It's worth mentioning that BitWarden's server is open source and can be run
> locally, but is massively oversized for most people's uses. However there's
> a reimplementation that will run in a single lightweight Docker container:
> https://github.com/dani-garcia/vaultwarden
>
> So if you want to host your repo locally (eg on a NAS or something) you can.

Thanks - useful to know.
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email