Space is to place as eternity is to time. -- Joseph Joubert

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Boiler fan noise.

SubjectAuthor
* Boiler fan noise.Dave Plowman (News)
+- Re: Boiler fan noise.Fredxx
+- Re: Boiler fan noise.Brian Gaff
+* Re: Boiler fan noise.Roger Mills
|`- Re: Boiler fan noise.Dave Plowman (News)
+- Re: Boiler fan noise.Brian
+- Re: Boiler fan noise.Max Demian
`* Re: Boiler fan noise.Chris Hogg
 `- Re: Boiler fan noise.Dave Plowman (News)

1
Boiler fan noise.

<5a36406721dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73163&group=uk.d-i-y#73163

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Boiler fan noise.
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:07:50 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:07 UTC

Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).

Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only really
noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it started up.

New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full speed
near enough middle A in pitch.

When the boiler is firing, only just audible. But when firing up, the fan
runs up to full speed before ignition, then ramps down. And the boiler
does shut down totally once the call for heat is satisfied, so goes
through this cycle frequently when not running flat out.

At speed, it's very audible in the rooms alongside where it is.

The new fan looked identical to the old, from the outside. Just wondering
if I should complain or not?

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Boiler fan noise.

<ti6i1a$1gvcl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73166&group=uk.d-i-y#73166

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Boiler fan noise.
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:12:59 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:12 UTC

> Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
> from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).
>
> Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only really
> noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it started up.
>
> New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full speed
> near enough middle A in pitch.
>
> When the boiler is firing, only just audible. But when firing up, the fan
> runs up to full speed before ignition, then ramps down. And the boiler
> does shut down totally once the call for heat is satisfied, so goes
> through this cycle frequently when not running flat out.
>
> At speed, it's very audible in the rooms alongside where it is.
>
> The new fan looked identical to the old, from the outside. Just wondering
> if I should complain or not?

Are the fan blades identical? Is it the motor or the fan making this whine?

Are the bearings of a ball race type? Some are. A faulty race can
certainly make a whine, in which case I might expect imminent failure?

Re: Boiler fan noise.

<ti6t2g$1humq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73213&group=uk.d-i-y#73213

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 18:21:17 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 17:21 UTC

Could be out of balance or crap bearings. Is it a brushed motor? Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
> Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
> from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).
>
> Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only really
> noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it started up.
>
> New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full speed
> near enough middle A in pitch.
>
> When the boiler is firing, only just audible. But when firing up, the fan
> runs up to full speed before ignition, then ramps down. And the boiler
> does shut down totally once the call for heat is satisfied, so goes
> through this cycle frequently when not running flat out.
>
> At speed, it's very audible in the rooms alongside where it is.
>
> The new fan looked identical to the old, from the outside. Just wondering
> if I should complain or not?
>
> --
> *If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?
>
> Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Boiler fan noise.

<jqogrbF35saU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73225&group=uk.d-i-y#73225

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:54:32 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 18:54 UTC

> Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
> from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).
>
> Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only really
> noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it started up.
>
> New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full speed
> near enough middle A in pitch.
>
> When the boiler is firing, only just audible. But when firing up, the fan
> runs up to full speed before ignition, then ramps down. And the boiler
> does shut down totally once the call for heat is satisfied, so goes
> through this cycle frequently when not running flat out.
>
> At speed, it's very audible in the rooms alongside where it is.
>
> The new fan looked identical to the old, from the outside. Just wondering
> if I should complain or not?

Could something be bridging one of the rubber feet, and transmitting the
motor noise to the casing?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Boiler fan noise.

<ti8et0$1og0u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73252&group=uk.d-i-y#73252

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 07:31:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:h78A7/NYPLM3VS2a5d16zWCk8X0=
 by: Brian - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 07:31 UTC

Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
> from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).
>
> Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only really
> noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it started up.
>
> New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full speed
> near enough middle A in pitch.
>
> When the boiler is firing, only just audible. But when firing up, the fan
> runs up to full speed before ignition, then ramps down. And the boiler
> does shut down totally once the call for heat is satisfied, so goes
> through this cycle frequently when not running flat out.
>
> At speed, it's very audible in the rooms alongside where it is.
>
> The new fan looked identical to the old, from the outside. Just wondering
> if I should complain or not?

Have you checked for ‘whistle effects’ - small holes that shouldn’t be
there, ditto edges etc the air blows over, …. These can cause a whistle /
whine as the air passes by.

A bit of silicone or epoxy does the trick.

Re: Boiler fan noise.

<ti8r5h$1pd0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73263&group=uk.d-i-y#73263

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 12:01:04 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 11:01 UTC

> Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
> from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).
>
> Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only really
> noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it started up.
>
> New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full speed
> near enough middle A in pitch.

I had a bathroom fan that became noisy after it was on for five minutes
or so. Turned out the timer that cut it out a few minutes after turning
the light out kept cutting it out when it shouldn't

--
Max Demian

Re: Boiler fan noise.

<bbsfkhlons1uiaervmmlgfojtepu1uc848@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73264&group=uk.d-i-y#73264

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 12:12:04 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 11:12 UTC

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:07:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
>from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).
>
>Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only really
>noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it started up.
>
>New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full speed
>near enough middle A in pitch.
>
>When the boiler is firing, only just audible. But when firing up, the fan
>runs up to full speed before ignition, then ramps down. And the boiler
>does shut down totally once the call for heat is satisfied, so goes
>through this cycle frequently when not running flat out.
>
>At speed, it's very audible in the rooms alongside where it is.
>
>The new fan looked identical to the old, from the outside. Just wondering
>if I should complain or not?

My first shot at fixing anything like that is a drop of 3-in-1 on the
bearings. Does the fan spin freely when not under power if you spin it
by hand?

--
Chris

Re: Boiler fan noise.

<5a374ce52edave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73369&group=uk.d-i-y#73369

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 16:00:31 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:00 UTC

In article <jqogrbF35saU1@mid.individual.net>,
Roger Mills <mills37.fslife@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/10/2022 15:07, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
> > from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).
> >
> > Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only
> > really noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it
> > started up.
> >
> > New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full
> > speed near enough middle A in pitch.
> >
> > When the boiler is firing, only just audible. But when firing up, the
> > fan runs up to full speed before ignition, then ramps down. And the
> > boiler does shut down totally once the call for heat is satisfied, so
> > goes through this cycle frequently when not running flat out.
> >
> > At speed, it's very audible in the rooms alongside where it is.
> >
> > The new fan looked identical to the old, from the outside. Just
> > wondering if I should complain or not?
> >

> Could something be bridging one of the rubber feet, and transmitting the
> motor noise to the casing?

Don't think so. Given it a tap when running (it is on flexible mountings)
and the noise doesn't alter.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Boiler fan noise.

<5a374f04e2dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73377&group=uk.d-i-y#73377

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 16:23:41 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:23 UTC

In article <bbsfkhlons1uiaervmmlgfojtepu1uc848@4ax.com>,
Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:07:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> >Recently fitted a new fan to my Viessmann 200w wb2b system boiler. Came
> >from what I assume is the maker's spares place (Viessmann Direct).
> >
> >Only noise the old made was the sound of air going through it. Only really
> >noticeable if close to the boiler, and only then when it started up.
> >
> >New one makes a whine. Which varies in pitch with its speed. At full speed
> >near enough middle A in pitch.
> >
> >When the boiler is firing, only just audible. But when firing up, the fan
> >runs up to full speed before ignition, then ramps down. And the boiler
> >does shut down totally once the call for heat is satisfied, so goes
> >through this cycle frequently when not running flat out.
> >
> >At speed, it's very audible in the rooms alongside where it is.
> >
> >The new fan looked identical to the old, from the outside. Just wondering
> >if I should complain or not?

> My first shot at fixing anything like that is a drop of 3-in-1 on the
> bearings. Does the fan spin freely when not under power if you spin it
> by hand?

It doesn't sound like dry bearings to me. The noise being entirely
dependant on speed - and varying pretty uniformly. Dry bearings tend to
screech and then go quiet - depending on speed.

It would require dismantling the unit to see if the fan spins freely. And
I'd rather just get it exchanged for another. But the control side of the
boiler seems to check it is at the right speed, and if not shows a fault.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *