Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade. -- P. J. Bailey

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Scam?

SubjectAuthor
* Scam?Tim Lamb
+* Re: Scam?Joe
|`* Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
| +* Re: Scam?Jeff Layman
| |`* Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
| | +* Re: Scam?Brian Gaff
| | |`- Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
| | `* Re: Scam?Martin Brown
| |  `- Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
| +- Re: Scam?Brian Gaff
| `* Re: Scam?Joe
|  +- Re: Scam?Robert
|  `* Re: Scam?The Natural Philosopher
|   `- Re: Scam?Fredxx
+* Re: Scam?Theo
|+* Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
||+* Re: Scam?Rob Morley
|||`* Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
||| `- Re: Scam?Joe
||+* Re: Scam?Chris J Dixon
|||`- Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
||+* Re: Scam?Chris Green
|||`- Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
||`* Re: Scam?Theo
|| +- Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
|| `- Re: Scam?Rod Speed
|+- Re: Scam?jkn
|`* Re: Scam?Robert
| `* Re: Scam?Theo
|  `* Re: Scam?jkn
|   `- Re: Scam?Robert
+- Re: Scam?Brian Gaff
+* Re: Scam?Brian
|`- Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
`* Re: Scam?John Rumm
 +* Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
 |`* Re: Scam?John Rumm
 | `* Re: Scam?Tim Lamb
 |  `* Re: Scam?John Rumm
 |   `- Re: Scam?John Rumm
 `- Re: Scam?SteveW

Pages:12
Scam?

<Hj7KYZpm7bSjFw1L@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73401&group=uk.d-i-y#73401

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Scam?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 20:56:22 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 19:56 UTC

2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon. (World
of books)
2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting to
be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
delivery charge.
Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the mail
address seems to be for a property rental company based in London.

If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something from
Amazon?
--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<20221014211030.1e92cf1e@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73404&group=uk.d-i-y#73404

From: joe...@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Scam?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 21:10:30 +0100
 by: Joe - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 20:10 UTC

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 20:56:22 +0100
Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon.
> (World of books)

The vast majority of paperbacks ever published are not available new
today. Most were never issued as hardbacks.

> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting
> to be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
> delivery charge.
> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the
> mail address seems to be for a property rental company based in
> London.
>
> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something
> from Amazon?

Don't know if they did. I've had several of these (as text messages
rather than emails) and I don't recall that they correlated to
anything. But if there was a leak, I'd have said it was more likely
from WoB than Amazon.

A quick Google suggests that the only link between Royal Mail and
Amazon is that they are both likely to be named in scam delivery
messages.

--
Joe

Re: Scam?

<ZBw*SoN0y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73409&group=uk.d-i-y#73409

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 14 Oct 2022 22:03:47 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 21:03 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon. (World
> of books)

World of Books is a scam. They describe many of their books as 'very good'
even when they aren't (eg damage, annotations inside), and rely on customers
being too lazy to complain. I've stopped buying from them.

> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting to
> be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
> delivery charge.
> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the mail
> address seems to be for a property rental company based in London.
>
> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something from
> Amazon?

Because people order things from Amazon all the time, and eventually the
scammer strikes lucky?

An Amazon seller doesn't get your email address, so if the mails aren't
coming from Amazon's server then it's just regular phishing/etc.

(when you confirm something as posted on the seller dashboard, Amazon ask
for the tracking number. So any tracking updates are from Amazon, without
the courier getting your email address)

Theo

Re: Scam?

<KWrZVdqlHeSjFwnZ@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73419&group=uk.d-i-y#73419

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:25:41 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 22:25 UTC

In message <20221014211030.1e92cf1e@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe
<joe@jretrading.com> writes
>On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 20:56:22 +0100
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon.
>> (World of books)
>
>The vast majority of paperbacks ever published are not available new
>today. Most were never issued as hardbacks.
>
>> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting
>> to be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
>> delivery charge.
>> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the
>> mail address seems to be for a property rental company based in
>> London.
>>
>> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something
>> from Amazon?
>
>Don't know if they did. I've had several of these (as text messages
>rather than emails) and I don't recall that they correlated to
>anything. But if there was a leak, I'd have said it was more likely
>from WoB than Amazon.
>
>A quick Google suggests that the only link between Royal Mail and
>Amazon is that they are both likely to be named in scam delivery
>messages.
I should be able to post the message header if anyone is interested.
Biggest concern is how they got my mail address!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<0WEWl2pZDeSjFwhd@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73420&group=uk.d-i-y#73420

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:21:13 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 22:21 UTC

In message <ZBw*SoN0y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon. (World
>> of books)
>
>World of Books is a scam. They describe many of their books as 'very good'
>even when they aren't (eg damage, annotations inside), and rely on customers
>being too lazy to complain. I've stopped buying from them.
Hmm. I only want to read them.

>> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting to
>> be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
>> delivery charge.
>> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the mail
>> address seems to be for a property rental company based in London.
>>
>> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something from
>> Amazon?
>
>Because people order things from Amazon all the time, and eventually the
>scammer strikes lucky?
>
>An Amazon seller doesn't get your email address, so if the mails aren't
>coming from Amazon's server then it's just regular phishing/etc.
>
>(when you confirm something as posted on the seller dashboard, Amazon ask
>for the tracking number. So any tracking updates are from Amazon, without
>the courier getting your email address)
So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<20221015005257.243caca8@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73431&group=uk.d-i-y#73431

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 00:52:57 +0100
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:52 UTC

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:21:13 +0100
Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(

Where's the problem?

Re: Scam?

<tidkt1$2isrp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73447&group=uk.d-i-y#73447

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 07:44:49 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 06:44 UTC

On 14/10/2022 23:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <20221014211030.1e92cf1e@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe
> <joe@jretrading.com> writes
>> On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 20:56:22 +0100
>> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon.
>>> (World of books)
>>
>> The vast majority of paperbacks ever published are not available new
>> today. Most were never issued as hardbacks.
>>
>>> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting
>>> to be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
>>> delivery charge.
>>> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the
>>> mail address seems to be for a property rental company based in
>>> London.
>>>
>>> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something
>>> from Amazon?
>>
>> Don't know if they did. I've had several of these (as text messages
>> rather than emails) and I don't recall that they correlated to
>> anything. But if there was a leak, I'd have said it was more likely
>>from WoB than Amazon.
>>
>> A quick Google suggests that the only link between Royal Mail and
>> Amazon is that they are both likely to be named in scam delivery
>> messages.
> I should be able to post the message header if anyone is interested.
> Biggest concern is how they got my mail address!

Are you on the "open" electoral register? Or are you talking about an
email address (assumed different from the one with which you post here)?

--

Jeff

Re: Scam?

<5cqkkhl9ba3dd31oo72n63n4nj24j5af98@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73459&group=uk.d-i-y#73459

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:06:39 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:06 UTC

Tim Lamb wrote:

>So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(

Well, a moment with Google and so have I, if you are in
Wheathampstead.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Scam?

<vO0QjSsbBnSjFwya@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73468&group=uk.d-i-y#73468

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:33:31 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:33 UTC

In message <tidkt1$2isrp$1@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
<Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 14/10/2022 23:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <20221014211030.1e92cf1e@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe
>> <joe@jretrading.com> writes

>>> The vast majority of paperbacks ever published are not available new
>>> today. Most were never issued as hardbacks.

>>> Don't know if they did. I've had several of these (as text messages
>>> rather than emails) and I don't recall that they correlated to
>>> anything. But if there was a leak, I'd have said it was more likely
>>>from WoB than Amazon.
>>>
>>> A quick Google suggests that the only link between Royal Mail and
>>> Amazon is that they are both likely to be named in scam delivery
>>> messages.
>> I should be able to post the message header if anyone is interested.
>> Biggest concern is how they got my mail address!
>
>Are you on the "open" electoral register? Or are you talking about an
>email address (assumed different from the one with which you post here)?

No and yes:-) Demon died years ago:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<iOiTD7sDGnSjFwTV@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73469&group=uk.d-i-y#73469

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:38:27 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:38 UTC

In message <20221015005257.243caca8@Mars>, Rob Morley
<nospam@ntlworld.com> writes
>On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:21:13 +0100
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(
>>
>Where's the problem?

My main route for communication. I don't use any of the current
offerings other than land line, Mobile + SMS

Just consider how many contacts you have to notify if it is changed:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<1uVW7itdHnSjFwyd@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73470&group=uk.d-i-y#73470

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:39:57 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:39 UTC

In message <5cqkkhl9ba3dd31oo72n63n4nj24j5af98@4ax.com>, Chris J Dixon
<chris@cdixon.me.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb wrote:
>
>>So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(
>
>Well, a moment with Google and so have I, if you are in
>Wheathampstead.

1st. prize!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<3p8q1j-p7p91.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73479&group=uk.d-i-y#73479

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:49:07 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:49 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >(when you confirm something as posted on the seller dashboard, Amazon ask
> >for the tracking number. So any tracking updates are from Amazon, without
> >the courier getting your email address)
>
> So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(

Half the world has one of my E-Mail addresses (I basically have two),
so what?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Scam?

<xOXXTmvXinSjFwQB@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73483&group=uk.d-i-y#73483

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:08:39 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:08 UTC

In message <3p8q1j-p7p91.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net>
writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >(when you confirm something as posted on the seller dashboard, Amazon ask
>> >for the tracking number. So any tracking updates are from Amazon, without
>> >the courier getting your email address)
>>
>> So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(
>
>Half the world has one of my E-Mail addresses (I basically have two),
>so what?
Hmm. I suppose it comes down to which half. The half you have given it
to or the half who might make detrimental financial use.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<tidtms$2l2tc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73484&group=uk.d-i-y#73484

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:15:03 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:15 UTC

I've just had a similar weird one from supposedly, Asda rewards I've never
dealt with them, and really all they show me is that they know my email name
and address. I carefully went and looked at the web site in the email and
it has the right name and looks genuine, however on clicking any link on
that page the clicking, at least 20 click through before it gets to a page
is frightening.
NOw looked afterwards for any malwre, and found nothing but replaced the
registry from that morning just in case.
Obviously I sent them no personal data, but to go to such trouble to get
data, seems rather amazing to me or is there some hidden hacking of asdas
site going on.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tim Lamb" <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon. (World of
>books)
> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting to
> be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm �1.50 or so delivery
> charge.
> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the mail
> address seems to be for a property rental company based in London.
>
> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something from
> Amazon?
> --
> Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<tidtu8$2l4b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73485&group=uk.d-i-y#73485

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:19:00 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:19 UTC

Are you on the voters list?
Its by combining several bits of info that they can de annonamise their
data. I'm sure huge routines are running doing just this for everyone as we
speak.
Brian

--

--:
> In message <20221014211030.1e92cf1e@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe
> <joe@jretrading.com> writes
>>On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 20:56:22 +0100
>>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon.
>>> (World of books)
>>
>>The vast majority of paperbacks ever published are not available new
>>today. Most were never issued as hardbacks.
>>
>>> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting
>>> to be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm �1.50 or so
>>> delivery charge.
>>> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the
>>> mail address seems to be for a property rental company based in
>>> London.
>>>
>>> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something
>>> from Amazon?
>>
>>Don't know if they did. I've had several of these (as text messages
>>rather than emails) and I don't recall that they correlated to
>>anything. But if there was a leak, I'd have said it was more likely
>>from WoB than Amazon.
>>
>>A quick Google suggests that the only link between Royal Mail and
>>Amazon is that they are both likely to be named in scam delivery
>>messages.
> I should be able to post the message header if anyone is interested.
> Biggest concern is how they got my mail address!
>>

> --
> Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<tiduc9$2l7rn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73488&group=uk.d-i-y#73488

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:26:28 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:26 UTC

That depends of course whether you are still involved with marfordfarm Since
it appears to be something to do with fishing. no not phishing, though it
could be.
Brian

--

--:
> In message <tidkt1$2isrp$1@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
> <Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes
>>On 14/10/2022 23:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <20221014211030.1e92cf1e@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe
>>> <joe@jretrading.com> writes

>>> I should be able to post the message header if anyone is interested.
>>> Biggest concern is how they got my mail address!
>>
>>Are you on the "open" electoral register? Or are you talking about an
>>email address (assumed different from the one with which you post here)?
>
> No and yes:-) Demon died years ago:-(
>>

> --
> Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<sGHQRywXKoSjFwjY@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73494&group=uk.d-i-y#73494

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:51:19 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:51 UTC

In message <tiduc9$2l7rn$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>That depends of course whether you are still involved with marfordfarm Since
>it appears to be something to do with fishing. no not phishing, though it
>could be.
Indeed. I still own the land and the fishery. That mail address was
generated long before secrecy became useful.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<tie0e5$2ln3v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73496&group=uk.d-i-y#73496

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:01:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Zek5nmU/ITF5j7jM/zze6WGnfWo=
 by: Brian - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:01 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon. (World
> of books)
> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting to
> be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
> delivery charge.
> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the mail
> address seems to be for a property rental company based in London.
>
> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something from
> Amazon?

I’ve used World of Books to buy books out of print etc.

They’ve never needed me to pay a charge ON delivery.

Timing could just be a coincidence.

Re: Scam?

<WBw*-JQ0y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73504&group=uk.d-i-y#73504

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 15 Oct 2022 13:13:48 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:13 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(

Go here, and type in your email:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

It'll tell you if it's been leaked in any data breaches, and in which case
where it came from and what other details might have been leaked.

You can also register an email and it'll mail you later if it shows up in a
new breach.

Theo

Re: Scam?

<tie8cu$k2s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73506&group=uk.d-i-y#73506

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 13:17:33 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:17 UTC

On 15/10/2022 09:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <tidkt1$2isrp$1@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
> <Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 14/10/2022 23:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <20221014211030.1e92cf1e@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe
>>> <joe@jretrading.com> writes

They didn't. You get scams of this sort from time to time. Mine mostly
arrive to the wrong email address which makes sorting the wheat from the
chaff much easier.

The ones that worry me the most are fake courier could not deliver scams
which look at first glance identical to real notifications. One day I
will be in a hurry expecting something from that courier and fall for it.

>>> I should be able to post the message header if anyone is interested.
>>> Biggest concern is how they got my mail address!
>>
>> Are you on the "open" electoral register? Or are you talking about an
>> email address (assumed different from the one with which you post here)?
>
> No and yes:-)  Demon died years ago:-(

ISTR you may have posted with your new email address in the clear at
some point. Googling your own email address or a key identifying part of
it may allow you to see where it exists online.

I have generally found WoB and Abe reliable for obtaining rare books
that are cheaper or actually available in the USA. The last one I was
looking for Abe showed that Blackwells had a new copy lurking in a
cellar somewhere - and they really did so I got it from them instead.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Scam?

<393ec58c-c97b-4643-a21b-969bbffdd7aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73507&group=uk.d-i-y#73507

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 05:22:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:22 UTC

On Friday, October 14, 2022 at 10:03:53 PM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
> Tim Lamb <t...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon. (World
> > of books)
> World of Books is a scam. They describe many of their books as 'very good'
> even when they aren't (eg damage, annotations inside), and rely on customers
> being too lazy to complain. I've stopped buying from them.

I wouldn't say it is a scam exactly, but they do certainly get up to the practices you describe.
They factor in complaints and having to make refunds etc without checking ...
it is part of their business model.

I've just had something similar with another eBay supplier - book paid for and didn't arrive.
From looking at their feedback you can see this happens a lot. They just refund without a
quibble.

A 'friend of a friend' used to work at World of Books in Worthing. I understand that
(as you might expect) conditions and pay are pretty poor there...

Re: Scam?

<o1PhdYy0krSjFwQw@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73518&group=uk.d-i-y#73518

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:44:20 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 13:44 UTC

In message <WBw*-JQ0y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> So someone has my mail address. Not a comforting thought:-(
>
>Go here, and type in your email:
>https://haveibeenpwned.com/

No. I tried that.

>It'll tell you if it's been leaked in any data breaches, and in which case
>where it came from and what other details might have been leaked.
>
>You can also register an email and it'll mail you later if it shows up in a
>new breach.

Ok. Ta.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<XFzuR7xHjrSjFw1a@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73519&group=uk.d-i-y#73519

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:42:31 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 13:42 UTC

In message <tie8cu$k2s$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> writes
>On 15/10/2022 09:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <tidkt1$2isrp$1@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
>><Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes

>They didn't. You get scams of this sort from time to time. Mine mostly
>arrive to the wrong email address which makes sorting the wheat from
>the chaff much easier.
>
>The ones that worry me the most are fake courier could not deliver
>scams which look at first glance identical to real notifications. One
>day I will be in a hurry expecting something from that courier and fall
>for it.

>>> Are you on the "open" electoral register? Or are you talking about
>>>an email address (assumed different from the one with which you post
>>>here)?
>> No and yes:-)  Demon died years ago:-(
>
>ISTR you may have posted with your new email address in the clear at
>some point. Googling your own email address or a key identifying part
>of it may allow you to see where it exists online.

I don't think so. Googling turns up reems of Tim Harford!

>I have generally found WoB and Abe reliable for obtaining rare books
>that are cheaper or actually available in the USA. The last one I was
>looking for Abe showed that Blackwells had a new copy lurking in a
>cellar somewhere - and they really did so I got it from them instead.

Books arrived today in excellent order.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<hlRj53yNmrSjFwQ0@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73520&group=uk.d-i-y#73520

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:45:49 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 13:45 UTC

In message <tie0e5$2ln3v$1@dont-email.me>, Brian <noinv@lid.org> writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon. (World
>> of books)
>> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting to
>> be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
>> delivery charge.
>> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the mail
>> address seems to be for a property rental company based in London.
>>
>> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something from
>> Amazon?
>
>I’ve used World of Books to buy books out of print etc.
>
>They’ve never needed me to pay a charge ON delivery.
>
>Timing could just be a coincidence.

Indeed. Very coincidental! The books arrived this morning.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Scam?

<tieduk$2opuh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73522&group=uk.d-i-y#73522

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:52:19 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 13:52 UTC

On 14/10/2022 20:56, Tim Lamb wrote:
> 2 second hand paperbacks (yes I am tight!) ordered from Amazon. (World
> of books)
> 2 very suspicious looking mails loaded with an active site purporting to
> be Royal Mail arrived today each asking me to confirm £1.50 or so
> delivery charge.
> Royal Mail tracking has not recognised the tracking number and the mail
> address seems to be for a property rental company based in London.

Paste the URL in here:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/url

it will check if the site is a known scam or phishing page, and scan for
malicious content if it is not known.

> If this is a scam, how did they know I had just ordered something from
> Amazon?

Sometimes you luck out. It is the way that many phishing exercises
succeed - they just happen to land at a time where the circumstances
make their pretext plausible.

--
Cheers,

John.