Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than illumination.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

SubjectAuthor
* Ask EU: SolicitorsSid Nuncius
+- Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsJohn Ashby
+* Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsMike McMillan
|`- Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsMike McMillan
+* Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsClive Arthur
|`- Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsSid Nuncius
`* Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsNick Odell
 `* Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsSid Nuncius
  `* Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsAxlegrease
   +- Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsSid Nuncius
   `* Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsChris
    `- Re: Ask EU: SolicitorsAxlegrease

1
Ask EU: Solicitors

<javhbpFeth8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7325&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7325

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Ask EU: Solicitors
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 07:26:00 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 06:26 UTC

Can anyrat recommend a reliable, efficient and preferably reasonably
priced solicitor to advise on and deal with a conveyancing matter?
They'd need to be in England, but other than that I don't think it
matters where they are.

Thanks, MOPsMOBs.

--
Sid

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<t2e5ec$9fb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7327&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7327

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Ask EU: Solicitors
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:06:52 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 07:06 UTC

On 04/04/2022 07:26, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> Can anyrat recommend a reliable, efficient and preferably reasonably
> priced solicitor to advise on and deal with a conveyancing matter?
> They'd need to be in England, but other than that I don't think it
> matters where they are.
>
> Thanks, MOPsMOBs.

I can't, but it seems to me that your requirements (reliable, efficient
and reasonably priced) are like the software specification process:
fast, accurate, cheap - choose any two.

john

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<t2e94g$42g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7328&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7328

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:09:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OyzlQpsebaOyyhqfm4mcKeOLWi8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:09 UTC

Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Can anyrat recommend a reliable, efficient and preferably reasonably
> priced solicitor to advise on and deal with a conveyancing matter?
> They'd need to be in England, but other than that I don't think it
> matters where they are.
>
> Thanks, MOPsMOBs.

IME even firms like Sue, Grabbitt and Runn don’t come cheap, one can feel
the cash register or card reader warming up as you dial their telephone
number or go to grab the door handle!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<t2eap9$fhv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7329&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7329

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:37:59 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:37 UTC

On 04/04/2022 07:26, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> Can anyrat recommend a reliable, efficient and preferably reasonably
> priced solicitor to advise on and deal with a conveyancing matter?
> They'd need to be in England, but other than that I don't think it
> matters where they are.
>
> Thanks, MOPsMOBs.

We used Nalders for a purchase in Cornwall recently and were very
satisfied. They were far less expensive than the solicitors in Reading
recommended by the estate agents there.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<javrs9Fgue7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7331&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7331

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:25:28 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:25 UTC

On 04/04/2022 09:37, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 04/04/2022 07:26, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> Can anyrat recommend a reliable, efficient and preferably reasonably
>> priced solicitor to advise on and deal with a conveyancing matter?
>> They'd need to be in England, but other than that I don't think it
>> matters where they are.
>>
>> Thanks, MOPsMOBs.
>>
> We used Nalders for a purchase in Cornwall recently and were very
> satisfied.  They were far less expensive than the solicitors in Reading
> recommended by the estate agents there.

Many thanks, Clive. Found their Truro office and details noted.

--
Sid

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<7lgl4hd0122bae4kvnc9lfbd1m3obguuss@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7338&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7338

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 11:41:02 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:41 UTC

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 07:26:00 +0100, Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:

>Can anyrat recommend a reliable, efficient and preferably reasonably
>priced solicitor to advise on and deal with a conveyancing matter?
>They'd need to be in England, but other than that I don't think it
>matters where they are.
>
>Thanks, MOPsMOBs.

If I'm over-reacting to the way you asked the question then just skip
to the best wishes and good luck signoff.

If you've already consulted experienced, knowledgeable generalists
then skip to the end from here as well. Otherwise, since I'm presuming
it's not a straightforward matter, have you asked for other opinions
elsewhere? Apart from the local council help services and the CAB, our
local university law school has a regular clinic for residents and I
dare say there might be something similar in your area too. They might
also be in a position to recommend a specific practitioner.

There's also uk.legal.moderated. Apart from the no-nothing busybodies
with a compulsion to reply to and disagree with everything, a lot of
thoughtful and intelligent minds gather there. Also barristers,
solicitors, paralegals and government advisors. I think I've spotted
the odd judge once or twice.

Whenever I have asked a question that has been personally sensitive
I've used a pseudonym and a throwaway email address. There was
probably no need to go that far but I felt more comfortable opening up
honestly about my personal legal matters behind a little anonymity.

Best wishes and good luck,

Nick

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<t2ej1p$ctn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7339&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7339

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:59:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:DVzBia6ndHer0XmxUJ8GBN+6e2A=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:59 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Can anyrat recommend a reliable, efficient and preferably reasonably
>> priced solicitor to advise on and deal with a conveyancing matter?
>> They'd need to be in England, but other than that I don't think it
>> matters where they are.
>>
>> Thanks, MOPsMOBs.
>>

> IME even firms like Sue, Grabbitt and Runn don’t come cheap, one can feel
> the cash register or card reader warming up as you dial their telephone
> number or go to grab the door handle!

Oh, and if ‘efficient’ implies timely, forget it and abandon hope - I am an
executor for Mother-in-law’s last will and testament - she died 23 months+
ago, still not completed.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<jb0oboFme98U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7344&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7344

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 18:31:35 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 17:31 UTC

On 04/04/2022 11:41, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 07:26:00 +0100, Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Can anyrat recommend a reliable, efficient and preferably reasonably
>> priced solicitor to advise on and deal with a conveyancing matter?
>> They'd need to be in England, but other than that I don't think it
>> matters where they are.
>>
>> Thanks, MOPsMOBs.
>
> If I'm over-reacting to the way you asked the question then just skip
> to the best wishes and good luck signoff.
>
> If you've already consulted experienced, knowledgeable generalists
> then skip to the end from here as well. Otherwise, since I'm presuming
> it's not a straightforward matter, have you asked for other opinions
> elsewhere? Apart from the local council help services and the CAB, our
> local university law school has a regular clinic for residents and I
> dare say there might be something similar in your area too. They might
> also be in a position to recommend a specific practitioner.
>
> There's also uk.legal.moderated. Apart from the no-nothing busybodies
> with a compulsion to reply to and disagree with everything, a lot of
> thoughtful and intelligent minds gather there. Also barristers,
> solicitors, paralegals and government advisors. I think I've spotted
> the odd judge once or twice.
>
> Whenever I have asked a question that has been personally sensitive
> I've used a pseudonym and a throwaway email address. There was
> probably no need to go that far but I felt more comfortable opening up
> honestly about my personal legal matters behind a little anonymity.

Thanks, MOPMOB. It's an actual solicitor who is needed, but it's very
good of you to take all this trouble - which I've noted in case of
future need. (And then probably won't be able to find/will have
forgotten about and will have to ask again. <sigh>)

--
Sid

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<2ae396a4-433f-4bde-803f-d0587c307be4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7347&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7347

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 12:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: scribble...@gmail.com (Axlegrease)
 by: Axlegrease - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:04 UTC

"I am an executor for Mother-in-law’s last will and testament - she died 23 months+
ago, still not completed."

Sadly, I can cap that. OH died in January 2020. His affairs were in good order and his will straightforward but the estate is still not settled.

The solicitor I engaged to deal with all the probate and legal business has been back in his office full time for months but, unfortunately, insurers, stockbrokers and pension providers are still in far too many cases, shirking from home.

Re Sid's question, about 3 years ago, a company called Beaumont Legal, trading as Legal Zoom, handled a property sale for us with commendable speed and efficiency. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again for conveyancing work.
Beaumont Legal, Beaumont House, 1 Paragon Avenue, Wakefield WF1 2UF
Phone 0345 122 8100

HTH

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<jb22p0FtvveU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7348&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7348

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 06:35:25 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 05:35 UTC

On 04/04/2022 20:04, Axlegrease wrote:
> "I am an executor for Mother-in-law’s last will and testament - she died 23 months+
> ago, still not completed."
>
> Sadly, I can cap that. OH died in January 2020. His affairs were in good order and his will straightforward but the estate is still not settled.
>
> The solicitor I engaged to deal with all the probate and legal business has been back in his office full time for months but, unfortunately, insurers, stockbrokers and pension providers are still in far too many cases, shirking from home.
>
> Re Sid's question, about 3 years ago, a company called Beaumont Legal, trading as Legal Zoom, handled a property sale for us with commendable speed and efficiency. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again for conveyancing work.
> Beaumont Legal, Beaumont House, 1 Paragon Avenue, Wakefield WF1 2UF
> Phone 0345 122 8100
>
> HTH

Thanks, AG. Noted. And sorry to hear about your probate woes; it
sounds grim.

And thanks again to otherrats who made recommendations. I have a good
range to choose from now, and I appreciate it.

--
Sid

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<t2ho7c$hcm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7358&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7358

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 15:45:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aonh+rqQOnoiQaBaMdUoquqZIx4=
 by: Chris - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 15:45 UTC

Axlegrease <scribbles.lincs@gmail.com> wrote:
> "I am an executor for Mother-in-law’s last will and testament - she died 23 months+
> ago, still not completed."
>
> Sadly, I can cap that. OH died in January 2020. His affairs were in good
> order and his will straightforward but the estate is still not settled.
>
> The solicitor I engaged to deal with all the probate and legal business
> has been back in his office full time for months but, unfortunately,
> insurers, stockbrokers and pension providers are still in far too many
> cases, shirking from home.

My solicitor worked from his office certainly from July 2020, as we went to
sign paperwork.

I am also told this in polite terms the other day. I suspect DWP are top
if this pile with whom I would like to crack a few skulls. But its not
just this lot, its ‘monumental’ masons. They’re past masters of
mis-communication, and as they don’t deal direct with the bereaved, but via
the funeral coy, I can’t blow my top at them. I have never been quoted a
‘lead time’ for a few words in an existing headstone so telling the funeral
director there’s no date yet for engraving which covid prevented me
authorising last *Oct*, but the lead time was as given is a load of muck.

Unlike most people, I’m not needing to get closure: its an 80 year old
headstone, the ashes are there, and I wouldn’t be bothering to put anything
there from now on as it’s largely inaccessible to my feet without a
steadying hand.

I haven’t chosen this chap as a solicitor: he was the parents choice back
I’ve no idea when, and when the company was wound up and taken over by a
very reputable, long standing coy in town, I was very pleased with this.
Unfortunately, in these cases, unfinished business has to presented to the
solicitor doing it to say ‘yay or nay’ when they’ve moved on. This chap is
of the sort who wanted to see it through. He’s definitely the oldest I’ve
seen in there, I hope the rest are quicker than he is!!

He’s the same age as me within a few days: and he looks as scruffy as any
“mad professor”, and his filing system has to be seen to be believed. His
secretary is a saint in very shining armour!!

Mrs McT

Re: Ask EU: Solicitors

<6eebee91-5352-468c-83b0-ec50612ff716n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7360&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7360

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:20:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: scribble...@gmail.com (Axlegrease)
 by: Axlegrease - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:20 UTC

On Tuesday, April 5, 2022 at 4:45:49 PM UTC+1, Chris wrote:
> Axlegrease <scribbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "I am an executor for Mother-in-law’s last will and testament - she died 23 months+
> > ago, still not completed."
> >
> > Sadly, I can cap that. OH died in January 2020. His affairs were in good
> > order and his will straightforward but the estate is still not settled.
> >
> > The solicitor I engaged to deal with all the probate and legal business
> > has been back in his office full time for months but, unfortunately,
> > insurers, stockbrokers and pension providers are still in far too many
> > cases, shirking from home.
> >
> My solicitor worked from his office certainly from July 2020, as we went to
> sign paperwork.
>
> I am also told this in polite terms the other day. I suspect DWP are top
> if this pile with whom I would like to crack a few skulls. But its not
> just this lot, its ‘monumental’ masons. They’re past masters of
> mis-communication, and as they don’t deal direct with the bereaved, but via
> the funeral coy, I can’t blow my top at them. I have never been quoted a
> ‘lead time’ for a few words in an existing headstone so telling the funeral
> director there’s no date yet for engraving which covid prevented me
> authorising last *Oct*, but the lead time was as given is a load of muck.
>
> Unlike most people, I’m not needing to get closure: its an 80 year old
> headstone, the ashes are there, and I wouldn’t be bothering to put anything
> there from now on as it’s largely inaccessible to my feet without a
> steadying hand.
>
> I haven’t chosen this chap as a solicitor: he was the parents choice back
> I’ve no idea when, and when the company was wound up and taken over by a
> very reputable, long standing coy in town, I was very pleased with this.
> Unfortunately, in these cases, unfinished business has to presented to the
> solicitor doing it to say ‘yay or nay’ when they’ve moved on. This chap is
> of the sort who wanted to see it through. He’s definitely the oldest I’ve
> seen in there, I hope the rest are quicker than he is!!
>
> He’s the same age as me within a few days: and he looks as scruffy as any
> “mad professor”, and his filing system has to be seen to be believed. His
> secretary is a saint in very shining armour!!
>
> Mrs McT

Good Lord. That sounds terrible. Fortunately, OH's ashes had a woodland burial so I haven't had the complication of headstone and monumental masons. We were very fortunate to have his internment and wake on the very day the lockdown was decreed. The local pub did him proud and we were busy toasting his memory when the news came that the pubs must close that night.

My solicitor is brilliant but fed up with fighting an apparently unwinnable war. I'm beginning to accept "uncertainty" as the normal state of affairs. One day, I might actually know for certain what assets I have. For now, I'm just paying the bills and hoping for the best. Oddly, DWP were one of the very few organisations who moved with commendable speed and helpfulness to sort things out. The other, even more oddly in view of other people's recent experiences, was DVLA who could not have been more helpful when we transferred ownership of OH's car to our daughter.