You will lose an important tape file.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Ivan/Abdul

SubjectAuthor
* Ivan/AbdulMike Ruddock
+* Re: Ivan/AbdulSid Nuncius
|+- Re: Ivan/AbdulPenny
|`* Re: Ivan/AbdulMike McMillan
| `* Re: Ivan/AbdulSid Nuncius
|  `* Re: Ivan/AbdulSerena Blanchflower
|   `- Re: Ivan/AbdulMike McMillan
+- Re: Ivan/AbdulVicky
+- Re: Ivan/AbdulClive Arthur
+- Re: Ivan/AbdulChris
`- Re: Ivan/AbdulSam Plusnet

1
Ivan/Abdul

<jb4uimFgaq6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7367&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7367

From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Ivan/Abdul
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:42:25 +0100
 by: Mike Ruddock - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 07:42 UTC

My wife is currently in a nursing home (we hope to spring her shortly).
The charge nurse is called Abdul and every time I see him there springs
into my mind a song relating a rivalry between two characters called
Abdul The Bulbul Emir and Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, accompanied by a tune.
To help me lay this mind/earworm can someone point me at a video of the
song, including the words?

Thanks

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<jb4vulFgilcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7369&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7369

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Ivan/Abdul
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:05:40 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:05 UTC

On 06/04/2022 08:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> My wife is currently in a nursing home (we hope to spring her shortly).
> The charge nurse is called Abdul and every time I see him there springs
> into my mind a song relating a rivalry between two characters called
> Abdul The Bulbul Emir and Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, accompanied by a tune.
> To help me lay this mind/earworm can someone point me at a video of the
> song, including the words?
>
> Thanks

It's called Abdul Abulbul Amir. Here's the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6vyZ_q-TjA

and here are the lyrics:

The sons of the Prophet were brave men and bold
And quite unaccustomed to fear.
But the bravest by far in the ranks of the Shah
Was Abdul Abulbul Amir.

Now the heroes were plenty and well known to fame
In the troops that were led by the Tsar.
And the bravest of these was a man by the name
Of Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.

One day this bold Russian had shouldered his gun
And donned his most truculent sneer.
Downtown he did go, where he trod on the toe
Of Abdul Abulbul Amir.

"Young man", quoth Abdul, "Has life grown so dull,
That you wish to end your career?
Vile infidel, know you have trod on the toe
Of Abdul Abulbul Amir."

Said Ivan, "My friend, your remarks, in the end,
Will avail you but little, I fear.
For you ne'er will survive to repeat them alive,
Mr. Abdul Abulbul Amir."

"So take your last look at sunshine and brook.
And send your regrets to the Tsar.
For by this I imply, you are going to die,
Count Ivan Skavinsky Skavar."

Then this bold Mameluke drew his trusty skibouk.
With a cry of "Allah-Akbar!"
And with murderous intent, he ferociously went
For Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.

They fought all that night 'neath the pale yellow moon
The din, it was heard from afar.
And huge multitudes came, so great was the fame,
Of Abdul and Ivan Skavar.

As Abdul's long knife was extracting the life
In fact, he was shouting "Huzzah!"
He felt himself struck by that wily Kalmyk,
Count Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.

The Sultan drove by in his red-breasted fly,
Expecting the victor to cheer.
But he only drew nigh to hear the last sigh
Of Abdul Abulbul Amir.

Tsar Petrovich, too, in his spectacles blue,
Rode up in his new crested car.
He arrived just in time to exchange a last line
With Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.

There's a tomb rises up, where the blue Danube flows,
Engraved there in characters clear:
"Ah, stranger when passing, oh pray for the soul
Of Abdul Abulbul Amir."

A Muscovite maiden her lone vigil keeps
'Neath the light of the pale polar star
And the name that she murmurs so oft as she weeps
Is Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.

--
Sid

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<vrjq4h56n13ictipmcdr8ha2lddreonrv3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7371&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7371

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 09:31:51 +0100
 by: Penny - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:31 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:05:40 +0100, Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>On 06/04/2022 08:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
>> My wife is currently in a nursing home (we hope to spring her shortly).
>> The charge nurse is called Abdul and every time I see him there springs
>> into my mind a song relating a rivalry between two characters called
>> Abdul The Bulbul Emir and Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, accompanied by a tune.
>> To help me lay this mind/earworm can someone point me at a video of the
>> song, including the words?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>It's called Abdul Abulbul Amir. Here's the song:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6vyZ_q-TjA
>
>and here are the lyrics:

Definitely on the list of 'songs my father sung me', often while riding on
his shoulders as he marched us all up yet another hill.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<t2jjbu$rm3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7372&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7372

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:35:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xjU1MJ2mFthCsILloktPxRSHIIg=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:35 UTC

Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/04/2022 08:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
>> My wife is currently in a nursing home (we hope to spring her shortly).
>> The charge nurse is called Abdul and every time I see him there springs
>> into my mind a song relating a rivalry between two characters called
>> Abdul The Bulbul Emir and Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, accompanied by a tune.
>> To help me lay this mind/earworm can someone point me at a video of the
>> song, including the words?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> It's called Abdul Abulbul Amir. Here's the song:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6vyZ_q-TjA
>
> and here are the lyrics:
>
> The sons of the Prophet were brave men and bold
> And quite unaccustomed to fear.
> But the bravest by far in the ranks of the Shah
> Was Abdul Abulbul Amir.
>
> Now the heroes were plenty and well known to fame
> In the troops that were led by the Tsar.
> And the bravest of these was a man by the name
> Of Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.
>
> One day this bold Russian had shouldered his gun
> And donned his most truculent sneer.
> Downtown he did go, where he trod on the toe
> Of Abdul Abulbul Amir.
>
> "Young man", quoth Abdul, "Has life grown so dull,
> That you wish to end your career?
> Vile infidel, know you have trod on the toe
> Of Abdul Abulbul Amir."
>
> Said Ivan, "My friend, your remarks, in the end,
> Will avail you but little, I fear.
> For you ne'er will survive to repeat them alive,
> Mr. Abdul Abulbul Amir."
>
> "So take your last look at sunshine and brook.
> And send your regrets to the Tsar.
> For by this I imply, you are going to die,
> Count Ivan Skavinsky Skavar."
>
> Then this bold Mameluke drew his trusty skibouk.
> With a cry of "Allah-Akbar!"
> And with murderous intent, he ferociously went
> For Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.
>
> They fought all that night 'neath the pale yellow moon
> The din, it was heard from afar.
> And huge multitudes came, so great was the fame,
> Of Abdul and Ivan Skavar.
>
> As Abdul's long knife was extracting the life
> In fact, he was shouting "Huzzah!"
> He felt himself struck by that wily Kalmyk,
> Count Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.
>
> The Sultan drove by in his red-breasted fly,
> Expecting the victor to cheer.
> But he only drew nigh to hear the last sigh
> Of Abdul Abulbul Amir.
>
> Tsar Petrovich, too, in his spectacles blue,
> Rode up in his new crested car.
> He arrived just in time to exchange a last line
> With Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.
>
> There's a tomb rises up, where the blue Danube flows,
> Engraved there in characters clear:
> "Ah, stranger when passing, oh pray for the soul
> Of Abdul Abulbul Amir."
>
> A Muscovite maiden her lone vigil keeps
> 'Neath the light of the pale polar star
> And the name that she murmurs so oft as she weeps
> Is Ivan Skavinsky Skavar.

There you are Mike; you ask a question in UMRA and you get your answer in
full and in verse! Well done Sid - are you feeling less pi**ed off now?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<v7kq4h996t5klqk85det8fe28rnbtic9qe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7373&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7373

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 09:36:52 +0100
 by: Vicky - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:36 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:42:25 +0100, Mike Ruddock
<ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:

>My wife is currently in a nursing home (we hope to spring her shortly).
>The charge nurse is called Abdul and every time I see him there springs
>into my mind a song relating a rivalry between two characters called
>Abdul The Bulbul Emir and Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, accompanied by a tune.
>To help me lay this mind/earworm can someone point me at a video of the
>song, including the words?
>
>Thanks
Best wishes for Mrs Ruddock, Mike. I hope you manage the escape son
and she is able to be comfortable.

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<t2jjl4$1qp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7374&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7374

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:40:01 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:40 UTC

On 06/04/2022 08:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> My wife is currently in a nursing home (we hope to spring her shortly).
> The charge nurse is called Abdul and every time I see him there springs
> into my mind a song relating a rivalry between two characters called
> Abdul The Bulbul Emir and Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, accompanied by a tune.
> To help me lay this mind/earworm can someone point me at a video of the
> song, including the words?
>
> Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxnnXysOrhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvckXYMBEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyRtk92gPdU

HTH
--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<jb5590FhiqnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7376&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7376

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 10:36:31 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:36 UTC

On 06/04/2022 09:35, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> There you are Mike; you ask a question in UMRA and you get your answer in
> full and in verse! Well done Sid - are you feeling less pi**ed off now?

A bit, thanks, Mike. I've not had a 3am blue-light dash to A&E for over
a week now, which is an improvement. Off the antibiotics for a couple
of days, too.

More assessment on Friday. Legs^W Fingers crossed.

--
Sid

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<t2jrjb$pip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7377&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7377

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 11:55:38 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 10:55 UTC

On 06/04/2022 10:36, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 06/04/2022 09:35, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> There you are Mike; you ask a question in UMRA and you get your answer in
>> full and in verse! Well done Sid - are you feeling less pi**ed off now?
>
> A bit, thanks, Mike.  I've not had a 3am blue-light dash to A&E for over
> a week now, which is an improvement.  Off the antibiotics for a couple
> of days, too.
>
> More assessment on Friday.  Legs^W Fingers crossed.

Keeping everything crossed that that continues and that Friday goes
well. Keeping everything crossed for you.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist,

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<t2js17$5q0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7378&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7378

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 11:03:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mV9Cw8CBBBlvWgVwLaH/6qDlRL8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 11:03 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 06/04/2022 10:36, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> On 06/04/2022 09:35, Mike McMillan wrote:
>>> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> There you are Mike; you ask a question in UMRA and you get your answer in
>>> full and in verse! Well done Sid - are you feeling less pi**ed off now?
>>
>> A bit, thanks, Mike.  I've not had a 3am blue-light dash to A&E for over
>> a week now, which is an improvement.  Off the antibiotics for a couple
>> of days, too.
>>
>> More assessment on Friday.  Legs^W Fingers crossed.
>>

> Keeping everything crossed that that continues and that Friday goes
> well. Keeping everything crossed for you.

And I hope they de-bag you too!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<t2kh3e$if1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7383&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7383

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:02:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BMaTFn5JcMX3rqPGtr3EgoFi0kQ=
 by: Chris - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:02 UTC

Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
> My wife is currently in a nursing home (we hope to spring her shortly).

Get well soon, Mrs R!!

Mrs McT

Re: Ivan/Abdul

<8Bm3K.45284$Xa1.3323@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7385&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7385

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:19:15 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:19 UTC

On 06-Apr-22 8:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> My wife is currently in a nursing home (we hope to spring her shortly).
> The charge nurse is called Abdul and every time I see him there springs
> into my mind a song relating a rivalry between two characters called
> Abdul The Bulbul Emir and Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, accompanied by a tune.
> To help me lay this mind/earworm can someone point me at a video of the
> song, including the words?

Thank you Mike. That's a new earworm to (hopefully) drive out the
current one.

Best wishes both to and for Wofe, and the hopes of Easing the Spring.

--
Sam Plusnet