From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Improving loft insulation
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 13:47:24 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:47 UTC

"A" framed type loft, so I can walk front to back just about standing
up. The whole centre section has been boarded which is nice but messy
to change.

The roof line slopes so that it is near impossible to get to the edge,
beyond the main beams, at least not without lying down. These areas
are not boarded and there is some of the old style rockwood/fibre type
insulation, but not everywhere.

I certainly can add more to the edges, what is the most effective to
get? Something like

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-superquilt-multi-layer-reflective-foil-insulation-5-x-1-5m/80967#BVQAWidgetID
but I have to say that seems expensive.

I do store stuff, currently on planks. Are loft storage stilts a good
buy? Again seem expensive (oh, 12 pack, that's better :) )
https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-loft-storage-stilts-210mm-12-pack/243gf

A roofer noted that there was no provision for roof ventilation and
there was some interstitial condensation so I agreed to roof tile air
vents, 3 on either side, which appear to have sorted the issue at the
expense of the attic being cooler.

Suggestions welcome for cost effective methods to help keep the bills
down.

PS what is the minimum temperature you run your property at. I'm
finding 18degC a bit cool and 16degC definitely cold unless wrapped up
for outside.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Improving loft insulation

<YBw*hwm0y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72633&group=uk.d-i-y#72633

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Improving loft insulation
Date: 09 Oct 2022 19:42:38 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:42 UTC

AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:
> The roof line slopes so that it is near impossible to get to the edge,
> beyond the main beams, at least not without lying down. These areas
> are not boarded and there is some of the old style rockwood/fibre type
> insulation, but not everywhere.
>
> I certainly can add more to the edges, what is the most effective to
> get? Something like
>
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-superquilt-multi-layer-reflective-foil-insulation-5-x-1-5m/80967#BVQAWidgetID
> but I have to say that seems expensive.

Can you get regular rockwool in there? Eg roll it from the centre, or push
it with a broom? Presumably you don't have soffit vents in that space so
can push it right up to the edge.

Rockwool will be cheaper than other kinds of insulation, unless you have a
good reason for needing to use something fancier.

> I do store stuff, currently on planks. Are loft storage stilts a good
> buy? Again seem expensive (oh, 12 pack, that's better :) )
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-loft-storage-stilts-210mm-12-pack/243gf

They do nothing you can't do with timber, but they're quicker to fit. Up to
you really.

If you have the headroom, a raised platform with 270mm rockwool underneath
is cheaper than keeping the boarding in place and fitting fancier insulation
underneath.

> A roofer noted that there was no provision for roof ventilation and
> there was some interstitial condensation so I agreed to roof tile air
> vents, 3 on either side, which appear to have sorted the issue at the
> expense of the attic being cooler.

Ventilation is important as you add more insulation. As you add it, the
loft will get cooler as you leak less heat into it. If you have a humid
unventilated loft it may start getting condensation as the temperature drops
because you insulated it more.

Theo

Re: Improving loft insulation

<520a7da8-a932-4e6b-89ec-b6e2c8c454d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72666&group=uk.d-i-y#72666

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 00:48 UTC

On Sunday, 9 October 2022 at 14:47:27 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
> "A" framed type loft, so I can walk front to back just about standing
> up. The whole centre section has been boarded which is nice but messy
> to change.
>
> The roof line slopes so that it is near impossible to get to the edge,
> beyond the main beams, at least not without lying down. These areas
> are not boarded and there is some of the old style rockwood/fibre type
> insulation, but not everywhere.
>
> I certainly can add more to the edges, what is the most effective to
> get? Something like
>
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-superquilt-multi-layer-reflective-foil-insulation-5-x-1-5m/80967#BVQAWidgetID
> but I have to say that seems expensive.
>
> I do store stuff, currently on planks. Are loft storage stilts a good
> buy? Again seem expensive (oh, 12 pack, that's better :) )
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-loft-storage-stilts-210mm-12-pack/243gf
>
> A roofer noted that there was no provision for roof ventilation and
> there was some interstitial condensation so I agreed to roof tile air
> vents, 3 on either side, which appear to have sorted the issue at the
> expense of the attic being cooler.
>
> Suggestions welcome for cost effective methods to help keep the bills
> down.
>
> PS what is the minimum temperature you run your property at. I'm
> finding 18degC a bit cool and 16degC definitely cold unless wrapped up
> for outside.

Multifoil is junk. Stick to fivreglass/rockwool
Stilts are money wasted, use wood offcuts

Re: Improving loft insulation

<tifber$dlj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73613&group=uk.d-i-y#73613

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 23:15:55 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 22:15 UTC

On 10/10/2022 01:48, Animal wrote:

> Multifoil is junk.

As a cold insulation it is rather poor. It is more
effective in southern med countries where keeping the
heat (and long wave radiation) out is it's primary
purpose.

Re: Improving loft insulation

<34ace2b8-479e-414c-8f55-c51b4c2c8847n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73708&group=uk.d-i-y#73708

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 10:12:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:12 UTC

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 23:15:59 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
> On 10/10/2022 01:48, Animal wrote:
>
> > Multifoil is junk.
>
> As a cold insulation it is rather poor. It is more
> effective in southern med countries where keeping the
> heat (and long wave radiation) out is it's primary
> purpose.
Does it work for Medium Wave?
Bill

Re: Improving loft insulation

<jr37mtFocu0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73730&group=uk.d-i-y#73730

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:26:03 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:26 UTC

On 16/10/2022 18:12, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 23:15:59 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
>> On 10/10/2022 01:48, Animal wrote:
>>
>>> Multifoil is junk.
>>
>> As a cold insulation it is rather poor. It is more
>> effective in southern med countries where keeping the
>> heat (and long wave radiation) out is it's primary
>> purpose.
> Does it work for Medium Wave?
> Bill

No, and definitely not for FM and DAB!