From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: OT: Race Cars
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 14:23:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 14:23 UTC

Going to a tech session this AM as a guest of a member of the
local chapter of the Porsche Club, AKA Nord Stern, at the shop of a
competitive endurance racing team (Daytona, Sebring, Petit LeMans,
Lime Rock, Road America, Watkins Glen, etc.). Should be fun to see
how the other half lives.

https://twitter.com/jdcmotorsports

https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: OT: Race Cars

<srcnve$5jk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7315&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7315

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: OT: Race Cars
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:17:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:17 UTC

Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
> Going to a tech session this AM as a guest of a member of the
> local chapter of the Porsche Club, AKA Nord Stern, at the shop of a
> competitive endurance racing team (Daytona, Sebring, Petit LeMans,
> Lime Rock, Road America, Watkins Glen, etc.). Should be fun to see
> how the other half lives.
>
> https://twitter.com/jdcmotorsports
>
> https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/

Holy Mother of God.

Wheelbarrows full of money (to my eyes at least) and this isn't even
an absolute top tier team in this league.

The single item that impressed me the most was the dry multiplate
clutch, that appeared to be something you might find on a motorcycle.
And the low-mass flywheel it attaches to couldn't be more than 8-9
inches in diameter. Should have laid a dollar bill next to them
for scale.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMbhNx1oqr7r51wo6

Not a hobby organization by any means.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: OT: Race Cars

<srcojo$4ej$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7316&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7316

From: me...@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:27:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:27 UTC

CIHAGMOn 08/01/2022 20:17, Mark Olson wrote:
>Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>> Going to a tech session this AM as a guest of a member of the
>> local chapter of the Porsche Club, AKA Nord Stern, at the shop of a
>> competitive endurance racing team (Daytona, Sebring, Petit LeMans,
>> Lime Rock, Road America, Watkins Glen, etc.). Should be fun to see
>> how the other half lives.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/jdcmotorsports
>>
>> https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/
>
>Holy Mother of God.
>
>Wheelbarrows full of money (to my eyes at least) and this isn't even
>an absolute top tier team in this league.
>
>The single item that impressed me the most was the dry multiplate
>clutch, that appeared to be something you might find on a motorcycle.
>And the low-mass flywheel it attaches to couldn't be more than 8-9
>inches in diameter. Should have laid a dollar bill next to them
>for scale.
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMbhNx1oqr7r51wo6
>
>Not a hobby organization by any means.

CIHAGM ?
--
Geoff

Re: OT: Race Cars

<srcpk2$5jk$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7317&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7317

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:45:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:45 UTC

geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote:
> CIHAGMOn 08/01/2022 20:17, Mark Olson wrote:
>>Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>>> Going to a tech session this AM as a guest of a member of the
>>> local chapter of the Porsche Club, AKA Nord Stern, at the shop of a
>>> competitive endurance racing team (Daytona, Sebring, Petit LeMans,
>>> Lime Rock, Road America, Watkins Glen, etc.). Should be fun to see
>>> how the other half lives.
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/jdcmotorsports
>>>
>>> https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/
>>
>>Holy Mother of God.
>>
>>Wheelbarrows full of money (to my eyes at least) and this isn't even
>>an absolute top tier team in this league.
>>
>>The single item that impressed me the most was the dry multiplate
>>clutch, that appeared to be something you might find on a motorcycle.
>>And the low-mass flywheel it attaches to couldn't be more than 8-9
>>inches in diameter. Should have laid a dollar bill next to them
>>for scale.
>>
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMbhNx1oqr7r51wo6
>>
>>Not a hobby organization by any means.
>
> CIHAGM ?

One of the principals (John Church) was there- had I known of your
interest, I might have enquired on your behalf.

https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/teamJDC.htm

I doubt I could fit (size and bulk, and flexibility issues) into any
of their cars. Maybe the one based on an Audi 4 door sedan.

They also had what appeared to be a Formula Ford off in the corner of
the shop. Compared to the pur sang cars it looked like a child's toy.
Amusingly, the exhaust manifold gasket appears to be a length of duct
tape. Added 3 photos of this car to the Google Photos album.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: OT: Race Cars

<srf8j5$2dm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7335&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7335

From: me...@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:12:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:12 UTC

Mark Olson wrote:

> geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote:
> > CIHAGMOn 08/01/2022 20:17, Mark Olson wrote:
> a >>> competitive endurance racing team (Daytona, Sebring, Petit
> LeMans, >>> Lime Rock, Road America, Watkins Glen, etc.). Should be
> fun to see >>> how the other half lives.

> > > Holy Mother of God.
> > >
> > > Wheelbarrows full of money (to my eyes at least) and this isn't
> > > even an absolute top tier team in this league.
> > >
> > > The single item that impressed me the most was the dry multiplate
> > > clutch, that appeared to be something you might find on a
> > > motorcycle. And the low-mass flywheel it attaches to couldn't be
> > > more than 8-9 inches in diameter. Should have laid a dollar bill
> > > next to them for scale.
> > >
> > > https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMbhNx1oqr7r51wo6
> > >
> > > Not a hobby organization by any means.
> >
> > CIHAGM ?
>
> One of the principals (John Church) was there- had I known of your
> interest, I might have enquired on your behalf.
>
> https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/teamJDC.htm
>
> I doubt I could fit (size and bulk, and flexibility issues) into any
> of their cars. Maybe the one based on an Audi 4 door sedan.
>
> They also had what appeared to be a Formula Ford off in the corner of
> the shop. Compared to the pur sang cars it looked like a child's toy.
> Amusingly, the exhaust manifold gasket appears to be a length of duct
> tape. Added 3 photos of this car to the Google Photos album.

I doubt if I would be able to get into any of them for similar reasons,
or maybe in but definitely not out. I also doubt if I would be able to
get one of them around a circuit without spinning/crashing/stalling,
from what I've seen of various motoring programs, carbon brakes and
slicks need to be properly warm before they work.
I'd give that Formula Ford a go if offered though, more my era.
Nice photos btw, I'm sure one of those suspension arms would cost more
than my car and bike combined.

--
Geoff

Re: OT: Race Cars

<du9mtg1hlkvehfgobl2il6mj2rkbvvcqec@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7337&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7337

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 18:22:51 +0000
 by: Champ - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:22 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:17:03 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMbhNx1oqr7r51wo6
>
>Not a hobby organization by any means.

Wow - impressive stuff
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: OT: Race Cars

<9adcb8c6-ae53-4ec5-86ae-b80978ace142n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7376&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#7376

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 06:49:25 -0800 (PST)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 14:49 UTC

On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 2:23:28 PM UTC, Mark Olson wrote:
> Going to a tech session this AM as a guest of a member of the
> local chapter of the Porsche Club, AKA Nord Stern, at the shop of a
> competitive endurance racing team (Daytona, Sebring, Petit LeMans,
> Lime Rock, Road America, Watkins Glen, etc.). Should be fun to see
> how the other half lives.
>
> https://twitter.com/jdcmotorsports
>
> https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/

Sounds like some of the CF3/HF2 and Aurora cars that race with us in HSCC, there's some money there, the Lyons family seem to take a dozen cars to the Classic F1 in Monaco each year.
https://hscc.org.uk/championships/aurora-trophy-series/ https://hscc.org.uk/championships/historic-formula-2/
We rough it a bit in FF2000 - but always try and nab the posh garage at Silverstone - https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnjzgtxkzyebwo1/2021-10-17%2009.19.27.jpg?dl=0