There are no data that cannot be plotted on a straight line if the axis are chosen correctly.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

SubjectAuthor
* Automatic central heating repressuriserTweed
+* Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserMax Demian
|+* Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserTweed
||+- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserTim+
||+* Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserTim Lamb
|||`* Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserTweed
||| +- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserTim+
||| +- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriseralan_m
||| +- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserTim Lamb
||| `- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserMax Demian
||`- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserTimW
|+* Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserRJH
||+- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserTim+
||`- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserMax Demian
|`- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserBrian Gaff
+- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserFredxx
`- Re: Automatic central heating repressuriserJohn Rumm

1
Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tihe75$36d0i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73709&group=uk.d-i-y#73709

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Automatic central heating repressuriser
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:15:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:m0MP/5XbLdSDtaG5bWEEcMlyOU0=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:15 UTC

Hi,

New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can automatically
re-pressurise a central heating system? I have a gas boiler that feeds both
a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of months,
the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler. It has a manual
filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
failure?

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tihegq$36d1t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73711&group=uk.d-i-y#73711

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:20:26 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:20 UTC

On 16/10/2022 18:15, Tweed wrote:

> New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can automatically
> re-pressurise a central heating system? I have a gas boiler that feeds both
> a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of months,
> the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler. It has a manual
> filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
> there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
> failure?

You must have a bit of a leak somewhere. Might be soaking the carpet
somewhere or causing mould or rot.

If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.

--
Max Demian

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tihfaf$36fl2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73717&group=uk.d-i-y#73717

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:34:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EZ13mk2zAHgaEfNtpNmvFmV46NE=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:34 UTC

Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On 16/10/2022 18:15, Tweed wrote:
>
>> New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can automatically
>> re-pressurise a central heating system? I have a gas boiler that feeds both
>> a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of months,
>> the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler. It has a manual
>> filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
>> there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
>> failure?
>
> You must have a bit of a leak somewhere. Might be soaking the carpet
> somewhere or causing mould or rot.
>
> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
> a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.

I’ve spent 12 years looking for the leak without luck.

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<894721707.687636934.527501.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73718&group=uk.d-i-y#73718

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 Oct 2022 18:17:08 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:17 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On 16/10/2022 18:15, Tweed wrote:
>>
>>> New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can automatically
>>> re-pressurise a central heating system? I have a gas boiler that feeds both
>>> a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of months,
>>> the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler. It has a manual
>>> filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
>>> there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
>>> failure?
>>
>> You must have a bit of a leak somewhere. Might be soaking the carpet
>> somewhere or causing mould or rot.
>>
>> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
>> a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.
>>

> I’ve spent 12 years looking for the leak without luck.

After years of being sceptical of the stuff, I chucked a couple of litres
of leak-sealer in my system which slowly lost pressure. Seems to have
worked.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tihivl$36plo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73720&group=uk.d-i-y#73720

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:36:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:36 UTC

On 16 Oct 2022 at 18:20:26 BST, Max Demian wrote:

> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
> a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.

Why is/was it considered a bad idea to leave the loop in place?

It's actually a plumbed in pipe on my latest boiler, but I remember it being a
removable braided hose in the past.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<735423085.687638413.747470.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73721&group=uk.d-i-y#73721

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 Oct 2022 18:41:51 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:41 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2022 at 18:20:26 BST, Max Demian wrote:
>
>> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
>> a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.
>
> Why is/was it considered a bad idea to leave the loop in place?
>
> It's actually a plumbed in pipe on my latest boiler, but I remember it being a
> removable braided hose in the past.

I suspect either the regs have changed or the addition of non-return valves
makes it okay. Certainly my daughter’s boiler’s filling loop is “hard
plumbed”.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tihpc2$37h89$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73729&group=uk.d-i-y#73729

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:25:40 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:25 UTC

On 16/10/2022 18:15, Tweed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can automatically
> re-pressurise a central heating system? I have a gas boiler that feeds both
> a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of months,
> the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler. It has a manual
> filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
> there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
> failure?

I believe it's called a vented system, with automatic replenishment of
water if the level drops! :-)

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<v0xw9PCKmGTjFwJo@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73731&group=uk.d-i-y#73731

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:28:58 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:28 UTC

In message <tihfaf$36fl2$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed
<usenet.tweed@gmail.com> writes
>Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On 16/10/2022 18:15, Tweed wrote:
>>
>>> New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can automatically
>>> re-pressurise a central heating system? I have a gas boiler that feeds both
>>> a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of months,
>>> the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler. It has a manual
>>> filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
>>> there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
>>> failure?
>>
>> You must have a bit of a leak somewhere. Might be soaking the carpet
>> somewhere or causing mould or rot.
>>
>> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
>> a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.
>>

>I’ve spent 12 years looking for the leak without luck.

Any chance your system is going over pressure leading to the boiler
relief valve opening?

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tihrl2$37qur$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73733&group=uk.d-i-y#73733

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:04:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:N9Sgf1LO37vqRjng3uywr8HJ7qM=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:04 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <tihfaf$36fl2$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed
> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> writes
>> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>>> You must have a bit of a leak somewhere. Might be soaking the carpet
>>> somewhere or causing mould or rot.
>>>
>>> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
>>> a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.
>>>

>> I’ve spent 12 years looking for the leak without luck.
>
> Any chance your system is going over pressure leading to the boiler
> relief valve opening?

Possibly. I’ve seen the pressure indicator go high. But how does that
eventually lead to zero pressure?

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<2040804690.687647518.415731.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73734&group=uk.d-i-y#73734

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 Oct 2022 21:15:16 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:15 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <tihfaf$36fl2$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed
>> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> writes

>>> I’ve spent 12 years looking for the leak without luck.
>>
>> Any chance your system is going over pressure leading to the boiler
>> relief valve opening?
>>>

> Possibly. I’ve seen the pressure indicator go high. But how does that
> eventually lead to zero pressure?

Pressure relief valve only opens when the system is hot and over pressure.
Once cold, the pressure can drop to zero. Usual cause is loss of expansion
vessel capacity due to either failed diaphragm or other loss of air
pressure in the expansion vessel.

Stick a bag or bottle on the overflow to see if water is coming out this
way.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tii4at$38epa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73736&group=uk.d-i-y#73736

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 00:32:46 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 23:32 UTC

On 16/10/2022 18:15, Tweed wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can automatically
> re-pressurise a central heating system?

I suppose one could lash up something with a pressure reduction valve
and a double check valve.

However it kind of negates some of the advantages of the sealed system;
in that you can get an uncontrolled flood, and you won't be continually
injecting fresh oxygenated water into the system which dilutes the
inhibitor and cause more corrosion.

> I have a gas boiler that feeds both
> a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of months,
> the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler.

Checking that it is not going overpressure is worth doing. However very
small leaks in pipes or radiators might not show up as a leak since the
water may evaporate before it gets a chance to chow up.

Are you also getting lots of air collecting in the system? (leaks can
also let air in)

One final case to consider with modern condensing boilers, is one that
affected my system; and is one that it can be very hard to find. Namely
a leak inside the boilers main heat exchanger, since the water will be
directed straight to the condensate drain and never show up anywhere in
the pipework.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Vaillant_Ecotec_plus_624_repair

> It has a manual
> filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
> there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
> failure?

Again it might be possible, but it is getting more complicated.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<jr4l0rF6u0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73769&group=uk.d-i-y#73769

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 10:19:24 +0100
 by: alan_m - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 09:19 UTC

On 16/10/2022 22:04, Tweed wrote:

> Possibly. I’ve seen the pressure indicator go high. But how does that
> eventually lead to zero pressure?

There will be a safety pressure release value to dump a small amount of
water when the pressure is too high. When the system cools down again
the pressure drops but it will be lower than previously because some
water has been removed. It doesn't take much loss of water to reduce the
pressure and it may only be small amounts every time the boiler is run.

It may only happen, say, when thermostatic valves start closing down in
your system.

How high does the pressure in you system rise to when everything has
reached its final operating temperature?

As others have indicated, there may be a small leak or an expansion
vessel is not working correctly.

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<2xjmc3FDBSTjFwqx@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73778&group=uk.d-i-y#73778

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 10:28:35 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 09:28 UTC

In message <tihrl2$37qur$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed
<usenet.tweed@gmail.com> writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <tihfaf$36fl2$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed
>> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> writes

>>> I’ve spent 12 years looking for the leak without luck.
>>
>> Any chance your system is going over pressure leading to the boiler
>> relief valve opening?
>>>

>Possibly. I’ve seen the pressure indicator go high. But how does that
>eventually lead to zero pressure?
I am not a plumber!

Modern boilers are fitted with an over pressure valve usually arranged
to discharge to a safe area (can be a pipe through your outside wall
terminated with a T outlet to avoid hot water being squirted at passing
Cats).

Other posters have suggested tying a plastic bag over this to trap
discharges.

Boilers also have a condensate drain which should run to a suitable
waste outlet. Sadly, my plumbers linked the two together:-(

Your installation should include a *pressure vessel*. Basically a
container with gas trapped by a flexible diaphragm. Might be built in to
the boiler housing or installed separately.

The d-i-y Wiki will give chapter and verse on problems of this nature.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Main_Page

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tij9ht$3dr3g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73784&group=uk.d-i-y#73784

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:07:57 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 10:07 UTC

Yes a now dead relative of mine found a small steam vent under the floor in
his airing cupboard where a joint was sor of dangling between two clips and
over time had started to leak. I'd suspect this is the sort of slow leak
that can cause this. In his case it was a short tighten and adding a
support. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On 16/10/2022 18:15, Tweed wrote:
>
>> New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can
>> automatically
>> re-pressurise a central heating system? I have a gas boiler that feeds
>> both
>> a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of
>> months,
>> the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler. It has a manual
>> filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
>> there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
>> failure?
>
> You must have a bit of a leak somewhere. Might be soaking the carpet
> somewhere or causing mould or rot.
>
> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just a
> matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tijaef$3dsii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73790&group=uk.d-i-y#73790

From: tim...@nothanks.com (TimW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:23:11 +0100
 by: TimW - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 10:23 UTC

On 16/10/2022 18:34, Tweed wrote:
> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On 16/10/2022 18:15, Tweed wrote:
>>
>>> New to this group. Is there such a thing as a device that can automatically
>>> re-pressurise a central heating system? I have a gas boiler that feeds both
>>> a hot water cylinder and a radiator circuit. Over time, a couple of months,
>>> the system loses enough pressure to stop the boiler. It has a manual
>>> filling loop. Is there a device that can just do this automatically? If
>>> there is, is there any protection against flood if, say, there is a pipe
>>> failure?
>>
>> You must have a bit of a leak somewhere. Might be soaking the carpet
>> somewhere or causing mould or rot.
>>
>> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
>> a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.
>>

> I’ve spent 12 years looking for the leak without luck.

So did I, until I realised there was no leak of water in the CH system,
only a weeping joint in the boiler itself which was always hot and
always evaporated leaving just a chalky salt residue where it couldn't
be seen.
TW

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tijdb3$3e2gp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73805&group=uk.d-i-y#73805

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 12:12:36 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:12 UTC

On 16/10/2022 22:04, Tweed wrote:
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <tihfaf$36fl2$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed
>> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> writes

>>> I’ve spent 12 years looking for the leak without luck.
>>
>> Any chance your system is going over pressure leading to the boiler
>> relief valve opening?

> Possibly. I’ve seen the pressure indicator go high. But how does that
> eventually lead to zero pressure?

If the pressure gauge is faulty you won't know what it is. I had one
that had to be replaced as it read 1 bar after it had been disconnected.

--
Max Demian

Re: Automatic central heating repressuriser

<tijdif$3e2gp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73806&group=uk.d-i-y#73806

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 12:16:32 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:16 UTC

On 16/10/2022 19:36, RJH wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2022 at 18:20:26 BST, Max Demian wrote:
>
>> If you leave the filling loop in place (which they deprecate) it's just
>> a matter of opening a couple of valves to repressurise.
>
> Why is/was it considered a bad idea to leave the loop in place?

It is/was thought that a faulty valve, or a valve not properly closed,
could lead to a leak of dirty radiator water into the drinking water.

(Mine is left in place since the Gas Man used it a couple of years ago.)

I wonder how long it will be before we can stop turning out bathroom
lights with a bit of string like most other countries?)

--
Max Demian