Bus error -- driver executed.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsChris Hogg
+* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsTheo
|`* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsBrian Gaff
| `- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsHarry Bloomfield Esq
+- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsMartin Brown
|+* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsChris Green
||`* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionswrights...@f2s.com
|| `* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsChris Hogg
||  +* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsJohn Rumm
||  |`* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsajh
||  | `- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsJohn Rumm
||  `- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsBrian Gaff
| +- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsfred
| +* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsTim+
| |+* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsajh
| ||`* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsTim+
| || `- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsajh
| |`- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsChris Green
| +- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsRod Speed
| +- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsAnimal
| `* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsJohn Rumm
|  `* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsRJH
|   `* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsJohn Rumm
|    +- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsTim+
|    `* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsRJH
|     `* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsTim+
|      `- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsRJH
+* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsSpike
|`- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsVir Campestris
+- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsPaul
`* Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsrick
 `- Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissionsJohn Rumm

Pages:12
OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<7orqkh5j0psnkopm92e7v8jbfriibdp400@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73865&group=uk.d-i-y#73865

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:09:33 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:09 UTC

A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
result in less CO2 being generated.

I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?

--
Chris

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<YBw*KY10y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73868&group=uk.d-i-y#73868

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Oct 2022 16:19:46 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:19 UTC

Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
> electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
> result in less CO2 being generated.
>
> I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
> me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?

I'm not sure of the CO2 balance, but surely a battery one is nicer to use in
that there's no heavy and loud engine, no fumes and no winterisation needed?

I can't see a reason to buy a petrol unless you need to run it for hours,
which not many domestic situations call for.

(If you're already invested in a tool battery system, you might be able to
use pre-existing batteries so their cost doesn't come into it. At that
point I'd expect it to win on the CO2 stakes)

Theo

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tijseh$3fk9t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73873&group=uk.d-i-y#73873

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:30:25 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:30 UTC

On 17/10/2022 16:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
> A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
> electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
> result in less CO2 being generated.
>
> I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
> me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?

It probably is marginally better. 2 strokes are not the most efficient
brutes .a gas power station is.

In practice, there is.
-- Yogi Berra

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tijsj5$cat$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73875&group=uk.d-i-y#73875

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:32:51 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:32 UTC

On 17/10/2022 16:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
> A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
> electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
> result in less CO2 being generated.

He may find the battery one a bit limiting if he expects to run it for
hours on end like a petrol one. OTOH you don't get gassed with two
stroke engine smoke so there is a positive side to an electric strimmer.

I'd probably go for a mains powered one if I had to replace mine. By far
the most annoying thing about strimmers is how often the autofeed on the
strim line fails to feed properly and results in a jam.

> I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
> me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?

Unless it has two battery packs he will spend most of his time waiting
for it to recharge.

I think the main benefit mostly avoiding engine fumes rather than CO2.
Basically all the other nasty smelly rubbish in its exhaust gasses.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<jr5bhqF3tsoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73879&group=uk.d-i-y#73879

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Oct 2022 15:43:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:43 UTC

Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
> electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
> result in less CO2 being generated.

> I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
> me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?

The local authority sent a couple of chaps along on their diesel council
lorry to strim an area about 10m by 20m.

The council, being greenish, had issued them with battery strimmers and
four batteries each.

Two hours of strimming and they had run out of battery power.

So it was diesel lorry back to the depot, where there was a 2 hour queue
for the four chargers, intended for the 80 batteries supplied.

Then it was lunch time.

Back in the afternoon in the diesel lorry to finish the job.

One chap is reported to have said that had they had their old petrol
strimmers (which are more powerful than the battery ones) they could have
done a second job that day, instead of the one job they got done.

Somewhere in the local authority a box has been ticked…

--
Spike

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<kdc02j-re4m1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73903&group=uk.d-i-y#73903

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 17:28:04 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:28 UTC

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
> On 17/10/2022 16:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
> > A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
> > electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
> > result in less CO2 being generated.
>
> He may find the battery one a bit limiting if he expects to run it for
> hours on end like a petrol one. OTOH you don't get gassed with two
> stroke engine smoke so there is a positive side to an electric strimmer.

There are 4-stroke strimmers around, I have one.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<c931aef4-6424-4b00-88cb-04d491c3e871n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73937&group=uk.d-i-y#73937

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:54:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 18:54 UTC

On Monday, 17 October 2022 at 17:33:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
trimmer.

> There are 4-stroke strimmers around, I have one.
>
> --
> Chris Green
> ·
Yes, I've got a nice Honda.

Bill

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<16erkh104d18td7bgcjkh392hmppq1q8jp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73944&group=uk.d-i-y#73944

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 21:20:32 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 20:20 UTC

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:54:56 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
<wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:

>On Monday, 17 October 2022 at 17:33:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
>trimmer.
>> >
>> There are 4-stroke strimmers around, I have one.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Green
>> ·
>Yes, I've got a nice Honda.
>
>Bill

I used to have a 4-stroke hedge-trimmer; damned heavy it was!

--
Chris

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tileu9$3m86p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73973&group=uk.d-i-y#73973

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 06:52:09 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 05:52 UTC

On 17/10/2022 21:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:54:56 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
> <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 17 October 2022 at 17:33:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
>> trimmer.
>>>>
>>> There are 4-stroke strimmers around, I have one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Green
>>> ·
>> Yes, I've got a nice Honda.
>>
>> Bill
>
> I used to have a 4-stroke hedge-trimmer; damned heavy it was!

I made the mistake of buying a 4 stroke Ryobi power head once...
loathsome thing got lobbed in a skip in the end!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tilld1$3mlga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73975&group=uk.d-i-y#73975

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:42:25 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 07:42 UTC

On 17/10/2022 21:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:54:56 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
> <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 17 October 2022 at 17:33:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
>> trimmer.
>>>>
>>> There are 4-stroke strimmers around, I have one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Green
>>> ·
>> Yes, I've got a nice Honda.
>>
>> Bill
>
> I used to have a 4-stroke hedge-trimmer; damned heavy it was!

horespeower for horsepower a 4 stroke tends to be about 80% heavier

--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tilmvm$3mpgr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73983&group=uk.d-i-y#73983

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 09:09:25 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:09 UTC

Locally yes, but what about power generation to charge it vs how much the
oil refining costs, and what about the life expectancy of batteries and
their costs?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
>> electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
>> result in less CO2 being generated.
>>
>> I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
>> me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?
>
> I'm not sure of the CO2 balance, but surely a battery one is nicer to use
> in
> that there's no heavy and loud engine, no fumes and no winterisation
> needed?
>
> I can't see a reason to buy a petrol unless you need to run it for hours,
> which not many domestic situations call for.
>
> (If you're already invested in a tool battery system, you might be able to
> use pre-existing batteries so their cost doesn't come into it. At that
> point I'd expect it to win on the CO2 stakes)
>
> Theo

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tilnqb$3mrcf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73988&group=uk.d-i-y#73988

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 09:23:38 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:23 UTC

Some people are almost addicted to the smell of a 2 stroke, but is there any
valid reason why they make them 2 stroke?, I would have thought a small
diesel or four stroke might be both less noisy, more efficient and cleaner.

As for the feed, well yes this does seem to be an issue with all strimmers
when I could see to use one. You definitely needed several batteries when
first came out, much like vacuum cleaners, but these were either ni cad or
dryfit lead acid in those days, unless you count the toy Black and Decker
ones which were ok for ten minute tidy ups. Also I was surprised by how much
more power petrol ones had over electric. Even if the so called horse power
was the same, it seems there is a certain more beneficial stall performance
with petrol over the electric motor. Maybe they have improved this now, by
the motor control or ability to draw more current from the cells.
Brian

--

--:
"Martin Brown" <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 17/10/2022 16:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
>> electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
>> result in less CO2 being generated.
>
> He may find the battery one a bit limiting if he expects to run it for
> hours on end like a petrol one. OTOH you don't get gassed with two stroke
> engine smoke so there is a positive side to an electric strimmer.
>
> I'd probably go for a mains powered one if I had to replace mine. By far
> the most annoying thing about strimmers is how often the autofeed on the
> strim line fails to feed properly and results in a jam.
>>
>> I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
>> me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?
>
> Unless it has two battery packs he will spend most of his time waiting for
> it to recharge.
>
> I think the main benefit mostly avoiding engine fumes rather than CO2.
> Basically all the other nasty smelly rubbish in its exhaust gasses.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<ea90cf92-c6aa-4f9d-842b-70b7fd28885en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73993&group=uk.d-i-y#73993

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 01:48:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:48 UTC

On Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 9:23:44 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Some people are almost addicted to the smell of a 2 stroke, but is there any
> valid reason why they make them 2 stroke?, I would have thought a small
> diesel or four stroke might be both less noisy, more efficient and cleaner.
>

> As for the feed, well yes this does seem to be an issue with all strimmers
> when I could see to use one. You definitely needed several batteries when
> first came out, much like vacuum cleaners, but these were either ni cad or
> dryfit lead acid in those days, unless you count the toy Black and Decker
> ones which were ok for ten minute tidy ups. Also I was surprised by how much
> more power petrol ones had over electric. Even if the so called horse power
> was the same, it seems there is a certain more beneficial stall performance
> with petrol over the electric motor. Maybe they have improved this now, by
> the motor control or ability to draw more current from the cells.
> Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
> Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.!
> "Martin Brown" <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On 17/10/2022 16:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
> >> A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
> >> electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
> >> result in less CO2 being generated.
> >
> > He may find the battery one a bit limiting if he expects to run it for
> > hours on end like a petrol one. OTOH you don't get gassed with two stroke
> > engine smoke so there is a positive side to an electric strimmer.
> >
> > I'd probably go for a mains powered one if I had to replace mine. By far
> > the most annoying thing about strimmers is how often the autofeed on the
> > strim line fails to feed properly and results in a jam.
> >>
> >> I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
> >> me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?
> >
> > Unless it has two battery packs he will spend most of his time waiting for
> > it to recharge.
> >
> > I think the main benefit mostly avoiding engine fumes rather than CO2.
> > Basically all the other nasty smelly rubbish in its exhaust gasses.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Martin Brown

We have two battery strimmers plus a 2 stroke . One of the strimmers is an 18v Bosch the other is a Husqvarna. We already had Bosch batteries and chargers for the 18v and same for the Husqvarna strimmer which my son bought. The Stihl 2 stroke hasn't been used since the arrival of the battery jobs. For small jobs the Bosch is used. No frustrating attaching the strimmer head.. No starting procedure and it automatically advances the line each time it starts. Fair beats pulling out the Stihl split boom job, and starting it up, and its much lighter and easier handled. No it doesn't have the power of the Stihl
The Husqvana is in a different league to the Bosch. More substamtial and runs for ever
We have spare batteries for both Bosch and Husqvarna but don't find it necessary to swop them out very often.
The garden is 1 .5 acres in size and has plenty of beds and paths so the strimmers get a good workout.

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<809495382.687775789.979755.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73994&group=uk.d-i-y#73994

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 18 Oct 2022 08:58:09 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:58 UTC

Diesel, much heavier, noisier, smellier. Low power to weight ratio.
Expensive to make.

4 stroke, lighter, quieter but not as powerful as 2 stroke. Expensive to
make, but cheaper than a diesel.

2 stroke, light, powerful, noisy and smelly. Cheaper to make than either of
the above.

For any motorised tool that you have to carry, a 2 stroke usually always
wins on cost and power to weight ratio.

I’ve used two stroke and four stroke strimmers and whilst the Honda engined
ones are nice and quiet, they definitely lack the “oomph” of a similar
weight 2 stroke.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tilt27$rbd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74001&group=uk.d-i-y#74001

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 05:53:06 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 09:53 UTC

On 10/17/2022 11:09 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:
> A green friend (yes, I do have a few) is about to buy a battery
> electric strimmer to replace his petrol one, on the basis that it will
> result in less CO2 being generated.
>
> I am sceptical, but has anyone already explored the arguments, to save
> me the time and trouble of trying to work it out?

You're studying the wrong gas, when it comes to small petrol engines.

Two stroke engines, pollute more than large block modern cars.
They emit NOx much higher than the family car.
There is no three-way cat on the output.
A three-way cat requires stochiometric operation
of the engine.

A three way cat removes:

VOC (waste petrol, large qty is a problem)
NOx (remove oxides of nitrogen)
CO (converts carbon monoxide to CO2, avoid poisoning)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#Three-way

When a modern car is warmed up properly (the cat must be
as hot as blazes), the only effluent on the output of the
cat, is CO2. The CO and NOx are gone.

A petrol strimmer is a pig. An absolute petrol pig.
Your car is a champ, by comparison. At least it's only
a GHG emitter, and not filling London with smog like
a petrol strimmer would.

A four stroke engine, is cleaner than a two stroke.
(Oil in separate compartment ? Not mixed into petrol 50:1 ?)
Some lawn mowers are four stroke, and that's
a step in the right direction. It's the two stroke
engines (oil fumes and all), that have to go.
Your riding lawn mower could be a four stroke.

Petrol strimmers would have a place, if the designers
cared enough to clean them up. But, they don't. That's
why they have to go. It's not some CO2 issue. The issue
with strimmers was there, before we got into a tizzy
about CO2.

The tank on a petrol strimmer is weenie in size. You
can strim half the day, on that little tank. Squeezing
the trigger and filling the air with oil fumes, every
time you goose the trigger. The CO2 contribution from
that weenie tank, is weenie (compared to the petrol your
Escalade just used). Your Escalade is 300 HP. What's
the weenie strimmer in terms of HP ?

Professional trimmers should carry the battery pack on
their back, in a rucksack. This improves the mass of the
strimmer and reduces arm strain. I saw some devices at the
store, where the battery you were expected to use, throws
off the balance. I don't know how long this battery would
last, but I bet it's a while.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/batteries-chargers/batteries/ar3000/#specifications

*******

My strimmer runs off mains... but I'm just a hillbilly.

One thing you should know about mains strimmers, is they
can overheat. My mains voltage is at the top end of the
band, and I actually need the resistance of a "flimsy"
mains cord, to prevent the strimmer from overheating.
Conventional advice is to "always use a heavy cord", but
this ignores the fact that some electric companies don't
know how to run a grid. If you know your voltage is
high, use a resistive mains cord to drop it a bit.
(Nobody can afford an autotransformer to fix this.)

I was not expecting that to happen, but when I stopped
strimming and picked up the unit while using the new cord,
I could feel the extra heat coming from the vents on it. Not good.
Normally, there is no heat to speak of. No smell that
something is melting. I'm back to a thinner cord now,
and it's fine again.

Paul

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<jr7e3pFdmckU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74013&group=uk.d-i-y#74013

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (ajh)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 11:39:53 +0100
 by: ajh - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 10:39 UTC

On 18/10/2022 06:52, John Rumm wrote:
> On 17/10/2022 21:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:54:56 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
>> <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Monday, 17 October 2022 at 17:33:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
>>> trimmer.

>>> Yes, I've got a nice Honda.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> I used to have a 4-stroke hedge-trimmer; damned heavy it was!
>
> I made the mistake of buying a 4 stroke Ryobi power head once...
> loathsome thing got lobbed in a skip in the end!

Me too but a mate melted the plastic cam.

Only consolation is the attachemts seem to fit my stihl hl75.

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<jr7ejmFdpg7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74015&group=uk.d-i-y#74015

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (ajh)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 11:48:22 +0100
 by: ajh - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 10:48 UTC

On 18/10/2022 09:58, Tim+ wrote:

> I’ve used two stroke and four stroke strimmers and whilst the Honda engined
> ones are nice and quiet, they definitely lack the “oomph” of a similar
> weight 2 stroke.

There is a hybrid that is supposed to avoid exhausting un-burned
hydrocarbons, though it still needs lubricating oil in the fuel, the
Stihl 4mix. This is a 4 stroke that with valves uses the crankcase as a
scavenger/supercharger. It has a distinctive exhaust note.

A problem with operators holding them on full throttle against the
electronic ignition cut off seems to negate the pollution advantage.

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<qdj22j-kueq1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74023&group=uk.d-i-y#74023

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 13:39:54 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 12:39 UTC

Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Diesel, much heavier, noisier, smellier. Low power to weight ratio.
> Expensive to make.
>
> 4 stroke, lighter, quieter but not as powerful as 2 stroke. Expensive to
> make, but cheaper than a diesel.
>
> 2 stroke, light, powerful, noisy and smelly. Cheaper to make than either of
> the above.

Plus a big advantage of 2-stroke for things like strimmers, they work
any way up.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<op.1t8i7tfkbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74024&group=uk.d-i-y#74024

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 23:48:55 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 12:48 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote

> Some people are almost addicted to the smell of a 2 stroke,

Only you poms.

> but is there any
> valid reason why they make them 2 stroke?,

Yep, much simpler and lighter.

> I would have thought a small
> diesel or four stroke might be both less noisy, more efficient and
> cleaner.

But much heavier and more complicated.

> As for the feed, well yes this does seem to be an issue with all
> strimmers
> when I could see to use one. You definitely needed several batteries when
> first came out, much like vacuum cleaners, but these were either ni cad
> or
> dryfit lead acid in those days, unless you count the toy Black and Decker
> ones which were ok for ten minute tidy ups. Also I was surprised by how
> much
> more power petrol ones had over electric. Even if the so called horse
> power
> was the same, it seems there is a certain more beneficial stall
> performance
> with petrol over the electric motor. Maybe they have improved this now,
> by
> the motor control or ability to draw more current from the cells.

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tim9e4$3o7dn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74027&group=uk.d-i-y#74027

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 14:24:20 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 13:24 UTC

On 18/10/2022 11:39, ajh wrote:
> On 18/10/2022 06:52, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 17/10/2022 21:20, Chris Hogg wrote:

>>> I used to have a 4-stroke hedge-trimmer; damned heavy it was!
>>
>> I made the mistake of buying a 4 stroke Ryobi power head once...
>> loathsome thing got lobbed in a skip in the end!
>>
> Me too but a mate melted the plastic cam.

I think the plastic components are one of its major flaws - it seems to
be impossible to tune the thing to work reliably or even stay in tune. I
found after a few moths use it would not run well, and conk out
frequently - usually just changing the angle or position was enough.

> Only consolation is the attachemts seem to fit my stihl hl75.

Yup, I got a Stihl Kombi power unit to replace it. One can fettle most
accessories to run on that.

(I did replace the trimmer head with a real Stihl one in the end after
the Ryobi one disintegrated in use, flew off at speed, went through a
gap in slightly open the patio doors, and narrowly missed hitting my son
on the head!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<129681014.687804452.772257.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74075&group=uk.d-i-y#74075

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 18 Oct 2022 16:52:18 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 16:52 UTC

ajh <news@loampitsfarm.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18/10/2022 09:58, Tim+ wrote:
>

>> I’ve used two stroke and four stroke strimmers and whilst the Honda engined
>> ones are nice and quiet, they definitely lack the “oomph” of a similar
>> weight 2 stroke.
>
> There is a hybrid that is supposed to avoid exhausting un-burned
> hydrocarbons, though it still needs lubricating oil in the fuel, the
> Stihl 4mix. This is a 4 stroke that with valves uses the crankcase as a
> scavenger/supercharger. It has a distinctive exhaust note.
>

> A problem with operators holding them on full throttle against the
> electronic ignition cut off seems to negate the pollution advantage.

I’ve never come across a strimmer with a rev limiter. Two strokes are
generally designed to have the bollocks revved out of them. Relatively
easy to construct a small two stroke survive high revs.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<jr84keFh4gfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74079&group=uk.d-i-y#74079

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (ajh)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 18:04:13 +0100
 by: ajh - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 17:04 UTC

On 18/10/2022 17:52, Tim+ wrote:
> ajh <news@loampitsfarm.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 18/10/2022 09:58, Tim+ wrote:
>>

>>> I’ve used two stroke and four stroke strimmers and whilst the Honda engined
>>> ones are nice and quiet, they definitely lack the “oomph” of a similar
>>> weight 2 stroke.
>>
>> There is a hybrid that is supposed to avoid exhausting un-burned
>> hydrocarbons, though it still needs lubricating oil in the fuel, the
>> Stihl 4mix. This is a 4 stroke that with valves uses the crankcase as a
>> scavenger/supercharger. It has a distinctive exhaust note.
>>

>> A problem with operators holding them on full throttle against the
>> electronic ignition cut off seems to negate the pollution advantage.
>>

> I’ve never come across a strimmer with a rev limiter. Two strokes are
> generally designed to have the bollocks revved out of them. Relatively
> easy to construct a small two stroke survive high revs.
>
> Tim

That's right, on chainsaws and strimmers the revs are mostly limited by
four stroking a few thousand revs above the maximum power point.

Hedge cutters, drills and long reach pole saws are often rev limited by
an ignition cut out. This effectively dumps a bit of unburned fuel out
the exhaust on top of that which normally happens.

The modern stratified charge engines reduce this considerably but I
haven't seen published comparisons.

Two strokes are very bad particulate polluters and it's the price paid
for light weight portable power tools. In most cases cordless technology
is taking over, 'cept I can fix most two strokes...

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<52888dc5-ff6f-4ed8-b342-8ee69175086dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74316&group=uk.d-i-y#74316

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 10:45:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 17:45 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 October 2022 at 09:23:44 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Some people are almost addicted to the smell of a 2 stroke, but is there any
> valid reason why they make them 2 stroke?,

Smaller, lighter, cheaper

> I would have thought a small
> diesel or four stroke might be both less noisy, more efficient and cleaner.

yes on all points. Lot more reliable too.

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tis906$d9go$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74343&group=uk.d-i-y#74343

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 20:53:41 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 19:53 UTC

On 18/10/2022 09:23, Brian Gaff wrote:

> Some people are almost addicted to the smell of a 2 stroke, but is there any
> valid reason why they make them 2 stroke?, I would have thought a small
> diesel or four stroke might be both less noisy, more efficient and cleaner.

It may well, but power to weight ratio is more important to users.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT: Petrol vs battery electric strimmers - CO2 emissions

<tispde$emo1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74371&group=uk.d-i-y#74371

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 00:33:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 00:33 UTC

On 20 Oct 2022 at 20:53:41 BST, John Rumm wrote:

> On 18/10/2022 09:23, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Some people are almost addicted to the smell of a 2 stroke, but is there any
>> valid reason why they make them 2 stroke?, I would have thought a small
>> diesel or four stroke might be both less noisy, more efficient and cleaner.
>
> It may well, but power to weight ratio is more important to users.

Having hired a 4 stroke strimmer (£300 Honda something - I mentioned it in a
thread here), I'd say the weight wasn't a problem. The thing was near
perfectly balanced and the harness certainly helped.

And very roughly, i'd say it weighed about the same as a similar cheap 2
stroke a friend had lent me. Didn't use that as it wouldn't take the brush
cutter blade.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK