Subtlety is the art of saying what you think and getting out of the way before it is understood.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

SubjectAuthor
* Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearJNugent
+* Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearSpike
| `* Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearJNugent
|  `* Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearSpike
|   `* Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearJNugent
|    `- Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearSpike
`* Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearMike Collins
 +- Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearJNugent
 `* Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearswldx...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes nearMike Collins

1
Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<cea2a6d5-dfb1-44c9-b6e1-33507e9f9524n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7364&group=uk.rec.cycling#7364

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 05:23:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near
airports causing mayhem
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:23 UTC

Scum.

Residents of a street near Liverpool Airport have resorted to parking across driveways and central reservations due holidaymakers causing chaos.

Parts of Speke in the city have become popular drop off points for families travelling to and from Liverpool John Lennon Airport who wish to avoid the airport's car parking charges.

The problem has got so bad that people have resorted to parking on double yellow lines, on the central reservation and across driveways, the Liverpool Echo reports.

Some residents having witnessed people urinating in private gardens.

Anthony Brown, 73, who has lived in the area for the last 31 years, said: "It's very frustrating.

"They park in between ours and next door's car and you can't get your car out.
"It varies each day - it's early morning and late at night.

"You get nothing and then there's a typhoon [of cars], it seems to be happening when you're sitting down watching something or reading."

Anthony has moved his bedroom into the back room of his house due to the noise of people parking outside his house to catch flights in the early hours and late at night.

He said: "The noise - I've had to move into the back bedroom. It's going to affect the house prices, they're not high anyway in Speke.

"I go out for 20 minutes, come back and can't park outside my house, I have to go and park down the road.

"It's not just dropping people off, they go in [the airport] with them and they might stay there until the flight's gone. They go and someone else comes in."

Under the airport's current car parking charges it costs £4 for someone to park directly opposite the terminal for up to ten minutes, with the price rising to £10 for 20 minutes and £25 for up to an hour.

Liverpool Airport said there is also a free drop-off point which is around the same distance away by foot from the airport terminal as Hale Road, and is free for up to 40 minutes, increasing to £8 for an hour.

Anthony said some drivers are also dumping rubbish, from McDonald's and KFC wrappers to beer bottles, in the area after dropping people off.

He has also witnessed a woman urinating on the central reservation and a man urinating in a front garden.

"They leave trollies where cars normally park - anything like that we push over the road into the airport boundary where the buses come in," Anthony added.

"Sometimes you come out and there's three or four trollies, they might be there for a day or two."

Anthony said he has contacted Liverpool City Council a number of times over the last six years but the problems with parking still remain.

He would like the council to impose parking permits for residents and have more traffic wardens patrolling the area.

Michael Cox, 52, said he decided to move out of his home on Hale Road four years ago due to the amount of people parking in the area to access the airport and the noise this was creating.

Michael said: "They were parking across your driveway. I said to them 'you're parking across my driveway' and they said 'I'll only be 10 minutes.'
Residents want more traffic enforcement in the area.

"You're inundated with 60/70 cars a day. They're sitting there for two hours sometimes."

An Airport spokesperson said: “We share resident’s frustration over the behaviour of some drivers who choose to park on public roads close to the airport when picking up or dropping off passengers, when we have on site car parks specifically designated for this use.

"This includes a free drop-off car park for those who do not want to pay for the convenience of being close to the terminal, with parking available for up to 40 mins free of charge.

"This is just a short walk from the terminal but a similar distance away compared to where cars parking on the local public roads are, plus our car park has a shelter for passengers waiting to be picked in poor weather.

"Unfortunately because some cars choose to park on public roads outside of the airport, we have no control on parking in these areas or on measures to deter drivers from parking here.

"We have had discussions with residents, local councillors and the City Council in the past to look at ways to tackle this problem and to deter such parking but sadly this continues to be a problem.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fury-erupts-happy-holidaymakers-dump-26551390?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main&fbclid=IwAR052M-EeCMcDToNDyDzkKrnUazt0rj1f4DVk41BnyJDXVNdw8qGPb4BrMo

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<ja5trbFhb3pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7365&group=uk.rec.cycling#7365

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
airports causing mayhem
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:19:39 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:19 UTC

"Airports"?

How many airports *are* there in Speke?

> Scum.

Just because Mason can't afford to fly anywhere...

> Residents of a street near Liverpool Airport have resorted to parking across driveways and central reservations due holidaymakers causing chaos.
> Parts of Speke in the city have become popular drop off points for families travelling to and from Liverpool John Lennon Airport who wish to avoid the airport's car parking charges.
> The problem has got so bad that people have resorted to parking on double yellow lines, on the central reservation and across driveways, the Liverpool Echo reports.
> Some residents having witnessed people urinating in private gardens.

They'll be fairy-cyclists, of course.

That's already been established.

> Anthony Brown, 73, who has lived in the area for the last 31 years, said: "It's very frustrating.
> "They park in between ours and next door's car and you can't get your car out.
> "It varies each day - it's early morning and late at night.
> "You get nothing and then there's a typhoon [of cars], it seems to be happening when you're sitting down watching something or reading."
> Anthony has moved his bedroom into the back room of his house due to the noise of people parking outside his house to catch flights in the early hours and late at night.
> He said: "The noise - I've had to move into the back bedroom. It's going to affect the house prices, they're not high anyway in Speke.
> "I go out for 20 minutes, come back and can't park outside my house, I have to go and park down the road.
> "It's not just dropping people off, they go in [the airport] with them and they might stay there until the flight's gone. They go and someone else comes in."
>
> Under the airport's current car parking charges it costs £4 for someone to park directly opposite the terminal for up to ten minutes, with the price rising to £10 for 20 minutes and £25 for up to an hour.

There's your problem right there: Khan-style kleptomania.

> Liverpool Airport said there is also a free drop-off point which is around the same distance away by foot from the airport terminal as Hale Road, and is free for up to 40 minutes, increasing to £8 for an hour.
> Anthony said some drivers are also dumping rubbish, from McDonald's and KFC wrappers to beer bottles, in the area after dropping people off.

> He has also witnessed a woman urinating on the central reservation and a man urinating in a front garden.

"Central reservation", in a street in Speke?

> "They leave trollies where cars normally park - anything like that we push over the road into the airport boundary where the buses come in," Anthony added.
> "Sometimes you come out and there's three or four trollies, they might be there for a day or two."
> Anthony said he has contacted Liverpool City Council a number of times over the last six years but the problems with parking still remain.
> He would like the council to impose parking permits for residents and have more traffic wardens patrolling the area.

Be careful of what you wish for, Speke people. Go and make some
enquiries either end of Stanley Park before you decide on what demands
to make. [See below.]

> Michael Cox, 52, said he decided to move out of his home on Hale Road four years ago due to the amount of people parking in the area to access the airport and the noise this was creating.
> Michael said: "They were parking across your driveway. I said to them 'you're parking across my driveway' and they said 'I'll only be 10 minutes.'
> Residents want more traffic enforcement in the area.

That's the answer.

> "You're inundated with 60/70 cars a day. They're sitting there for two hours sometimes."
> An Airport spokesperson said: “We share resident’s frustration over the behaviour of some drivers who choose to park on public roads close to the airport when picking up or dropping off passengers, when we have on site car parks specifically designated for this use.
> "This includes a free drop-off car park for those who do not want to pay for the convenience of being close to the terminal, with parking available for up to 40 mins free of charge.
> "This is just a short walk from the terminal but a similar distance away compared to where cars parking on the local public roads are, plus our car park has a shelter for passengers waiting to be picked in poor weather.
> "Unfortunately because some cars choose to park on public roads outside of the airport, we have no control on parking in these areas or on measures to deter drivers from parking here.
> "We have had discussions with residents, local councillors and the City Council in the past to look at ways to tackle this problem and to deter such parking but sadly this continues to be a problem.”
>
> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fury-erupts-happy-holidaymakers-dump-26551390?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main&fbclid=IwAR052M-EeCMcDToNDyDzkKrnUazt0rj1f4DVk41BnyJDXVNdw8qGPb4BrMo

This is not the first or only such problem faced by Liverpool residents.

Fifty years ago, on match days (or evenings), there were massive
car-parking problems in the areas around the Anfield and Walton
("Goodison Park") football stadia, with it being common to see whole
terraced streets with incomer's cars double-parked along one side or
both sides (depending on the width of the street). Residents were
resigned to being unable either to leave or come home by car during a
period of between 150 minutes and 180 minutes on such days.

Then around 1972 (IIRC) the City Council stepped in, and lavishly
provided the area(s) with double-yellow line corner protection,
"residents'parking zones" and the attention of traffic wardens
throughout the period of football matches. This sort of solved the
problem, but at the cost of reducing the amount of on-street garaging
space in locations almost exclusively characterised by terraces street
and houses with no possibility of 0n-plot garaging. So there were still
many complaints.

Of course, Mason is now going to tell us which of the complainants is
the fairy-bike rider.

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<39ae4468-89c1-4b76-9a62-dd987adedb5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7368&group=uk.rec.cycling#7368

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 06:22:45 -0700 (PDT)
airports causing mayhem
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:22 UTC

47 min ago

Expect is the same bunch moaning about utility bill etc. Solution - I once hired a skip to block off an Audi parked on my drive for ten days. Worth every penny

I LIKE HIS STYLE. :-)

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<bba5d366-bd58-49a4-81e7-7d4854de900an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7377&group=uk.rec.cycling#7377

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 07:51:36 -0700 (PDT)
airports causing mayhem
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:51 UTC

On Friday, 25 March 2022 at 12:23:39 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> "This is just a short walk from the terminal but a similar distance away compared to where cars parking on the local public roads are, plus our car park has a shelter for passengers waiting to be picked in poor weather.
>
> "Unfortunately because some cars choose to park on public roads outside of the airport, we have no control on parking in these areas or on measures to deter drivers from parking here.
>
> "We have had discussions with residents, local councillors and the City Council in the past to look at ways to tackle this problem and to deter such parking but sadly this continues to be a problem.”
>
> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fury-erupts-happy-holidaymakers-dump-26551390?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main&fbclid=IwAR052M-EeCMcDToNDyDzkKrnUazt0rj1f4DVk41BnyJDXVNdw8qGPb4BrMo

It's a public road not a residents road. I assume the residents never park anywhere other than their property or public car parks.
Having said that there is no way I would leave my car in Speke. I am surprised they are able to drive what is left of their cars when they return.

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<ja64r0Filh5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7378&group=uk.rec.cycling#7378

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
airports causing mayhem
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:18:56 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:18 UTC

On 25/03/2022 02:51 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> [...]

>> "We have had discussions with residents, local councillors and the City Council in the past to look at ways to tackle this problem and to deter such parking but sadly this continues to be a problem.”
>> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fury-erupts-happy-holidaymakers-dump-26551390?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main&fbclid=IwAR052M-EeCMcDToNDyDzkKrnUazt0rj1f4DVk41BnyJDXVNdw8qGPb4BrMo

> It's a public road not a residents road. I assume the residents never park anywhere other than their property or public car parks.
> Having said that there is no way I would leave my car in Speke. I am surprised they are able to drive what is left of their cars when they return.

It's a long time since I've been there (as opposed to the airport), but
I don't expect that Speke is all that it used to be.

Many of the properties at the NE end will have been bought under the
RTB, of course (which is obliquely referred to in the line "It's going
to affect the house prices, they're not high anyway in Speke").

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<t1knjb$12qi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7379&group=uk.rec.cycling#7379

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
airports causing mayhem
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:37:17 +0000
 by: Spike - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:37 UTC

On 25/03/2022 13:22, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> 47 min ago

> Expect is the same bunch moaning about utility bill etc. Solution - I once hired a skip to block off an Audi parked on my drive for ten days. Worth every penny

> I LIKE HIS STYLE. :-)

Support criminal activity do you?

That type of behaviour counts as false imprisonment. If the Audi owner
had called the police, the skip-hirer would have been in trouble.

--
Spike

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<ja67h0Fj4t6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7380&group=uk.rec.cycling#7380

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
airports causing mayhem
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:04:48 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:04 UTC

On 25/03/2022 03:37 pm, Spike wrote:

> On 25/03/2022 13:22, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> 47 min ago

>> Expect is the same bunch moaning about utility bill etc. Solution - I once hired a skip to block off an Audi parked on my drive for ten days. Worth every penny

>> I LIKE HIS STYLE. :-)

> Support criminal activity do you?

> That type of behaviour counts as false imprisonment. If the Audi owner
> had called the police, the skip-hirer would have been in trouble.

Hmmm... false imprisonment is something that can only be done to a
person. It can't be done to chattels.

The whole situation is far from ideal but householders are surely
entitled to protect themselves and to make a point - if a hard-won point
- to trespassers?

I don't know how people can do what is described (though I've had people
park across my driveway a fair few times over the years).

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<ja69kpFjjf2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7382&group=uk.rec.cycling#7382

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
airports causing mayhem
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:40:59 +0000
 by: Spike - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:40 UTC

On 25/03/2022 16:04, JNugent wrote:
> On 25/03/2022 03:37 pm, Spike wrote:

>> On 25/03/2022 13:22, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> 47 min ago

>>> Expect is the same bunch moaning about utility bill etc. Solution - I once hired a skip to block off an Audi parked on my drive for ten days. Worth every penny

>>> I LIKE HIS STYLE. :-)

>> Support criminal activity do you?

>> That type of behaviour counts as false imprisonment. If the Audi owner
>> had called the police, the skip-hirer would have been in trouble.

> Hmmm... false imprisonment is something that can only be done to a
> person. It can't be done to chattels.

> The whole situation is far from ideal but householders are surely
> entitled to protect themselves and to make a point - if a hard-won point
> - to trespassers?

> I don't know how people can do what is described (though I've had people
> park across my driveway a fair few times over the years).

ISTR some discussion about this quite some while back, on the legal
usergroup.

The thrust seemed to be that someone could be blocked from access to
their drive, but it was a no-no to block them in.

--
Spike

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<256b576f-f1f9-47fd-878a-9f3df25b7a02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7384&group=uk.rec.cycling#7384

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
airports causing mayhem
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:00 UTC

..
> Having said that there is no way I would leave my car in Speke. I am surprised they are able to drive what is left of their cars when they return.

The vast majority of comments under that story involved acts such as slashing tyres, towing them away and clamping them.
Nice people.

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<ja755nFokveU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7392&group=uk.rec.cycling#7392

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
airports causing mayhem
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 00:30:47 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 00:30 UTC

On 25/03/2022 04:40 pm, Spike wrote:
> On 25/03/2022 16:04, JNugent wrote:

>>> Support criminal activity do you?
>
>>> That type of behaviour counts as false imprisonment. If the Audi owner
>>> had called the police, the skip-hirer would have been in trouble.
>
>> Hmmm... false imprisonment is something that can only be done to a
>> person. It can't be done to chattels.
>
>> The whole situation is far from ideal but householders are surely
>> entitled to protect themselves and to make a point - if a hard-won point
>> - to trespassers?
>
>> I don't know how people can do what is described (though I've had people
>> park across my driveway a fair few times over the years).
>
> ISTR some discussion about this quite some while back, on the legal
> usergroup.
>
> The thrust seemed to be that someone could be blocked from access to
> their drive, but it was a no-no to block them in.

Old wives' tale.

One of the oldest.

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<ja83apFu01iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7395&group=uk.rec.cycling#7395

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
airports causing mayhem
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 09:05:32 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 09:05 UTC

On 26/03/2022 00:30, JNugent wrote:
> On 25/03/2022 04:40 pm, Spike wrote:

>>> Hmmm... false imprisonment is something that can only be done to a
>>> person. It can't be done to chattels.

>>> The whole situation is far from ideal but householders are surely
>>> entitled to protect themselves and to make a point - if a hard-won point
>>> - to trespassers?

>>> I don't know how people can do what is described (though I've had people
>>> park across my driveway a fair few times over the years).

>> ISTR some discussion about this quite some while back, on the legal
>> usergroup.

>> The thrust seemed to be that someone could be blocked from access to
>> their drive, but it was a no-no to block them in.

> Old wives' tale.

> One of the oldest.

Fairy nuff!

--
Spike

Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem

<e033bfe7-1c27-41c8-a990-6a2d0f81abb4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7398&group=uk.rec.cycling#7398

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 03:19:50 -0700 (PDT)
airports causing mayhem
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:19 UTC

On Friday, 25 March 2022 at 17:00:43 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> .
> > Having said that there is no way I would leave my car in Speke. I am surprised they are able to drive what is left of their cars when they return.
> The vast majority of comments under that story involved acts such as slashing tyres, towing them away and clamping them.
> Nice people.

Laws only apply to motorists when it is convenient for them.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Fury erupts as happy holidaymakers dump cars outside homes near airports causing mayhem