From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Techy Help Needed
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:21:48 +0100
 by: Mike Ruddock - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:21 UTC

This morning I received an email from one of my daughters which had an
attachment with details of possible help for my wife.

I clicked on it, expecting the usual window asking what I would like to
use to open the attachment, but instead got a pane from Ultra File
Opener asking me if I wished to upgrade to the full version or perhaps
taking the free option, which is to open the file in hex.

Now i don't actually read hex with any great fluency and want to know
how to get rid of this unwanted intruder.

Any ideas?

Mike Ruddock

Re: Techy Help Needed

<g4b05h1l9jq5246oqut3iju5b12398v355@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7409&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7409

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Techy Help Needed
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:02:43 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:02 UTC

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:21:48 +0100, Mike Ruddock
<ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:

>This morning I received an email from one of my daughters which had an
>attachment with details of possible help for my wife.
>
>I clicked on it, expecting the usual window asking what I would like to
>use to open the attachment, but instead got a pane from Ultra File
>Opener asking me if I wished to upgrade to the full version or perhaps
>taking the free option, which is to open the file in hex.
>
>Now i don't actually read hex with any great fluency and want to know
>how to get rid of this unwanted intruder.
>
>Any ideas?

TL:DR Try clicking the Right mouse button over the file and
selecting a more familiar program to open it with from the "Open
with..." menu that appears.

I Googled for Ultra File Opener and got the impression that it was
something that is often bundled with a new computer when you get it.
Is it an HP computer by any chance? They seem to be enthusiastic
bundlers - though it's not been bundled on mine.

<https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/ultra-file-opener-35420-program.aspx>
(which I also found from my Google search) has a lot more information
about the program including, about half way down the page,
instructions for removal.

As for reading the attachment without using Ultra File Opener, can you
place your mouse over the file in question and then click the RIGHT
button? That should give you a menu which includes "Open with..." and
a list of programs for you to choose from. I presume that the file
format itself is showing as .txt or .pdf or may have been sent zipped
up with a .zip extension. If it is a .zip then an ordinary file
utility such as WinZip or 7-zip (either of which may well be installed
already on your machine) will unpack it as a readable file. If it is
already a .txt or .pdf then that "Open with..." list will probably
include familiar-looking names like Adobe Reader or Text Editor etc
which should be fine. These days even browsers such as Firefox, Chrome
and Edge are capable of opening pdfs and other files and so may be
included in the list. It should be absolutely fine to open your file
in any of those.

I'm guessing that Ultra File Opener has wheedled its way into being
the default program for opening certain types of file. If you don't
want to use it that way but you don't want to delete it then you ought
to be able to change the defaults from Control Panel. But that's
something for another time (which is a cunning way of saying that I
haven't looked that bit up yet!)

Hope this is of some help.

Nick

Re: Techy Help Needed

<n6$JJVmCzEUiFw06@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7410&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7410

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:54:58 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:54 UTC

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 at 14:02:43, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:21:48 +0100, Mike Ruddock
><ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>This morning I received an email from one of my daughters which had an
>>attachment with details of possible help for my wife.
>>
>>I clicked on it, expecting the usual window asking what I would like to
>>use to open the attachment, but instead got a pane from Ultra File
>>Opener asking me if I wished to upgrade to the full version or perhaps
>>taking the free option, which is to open the file in hex.

That does sound like a PUP (potentially unwanted prog.) that has found
its way onto whatever you're reading your mail with. (Anything that
keeps asking "do you want to buy the full version" is a PUP as far as
I'm concerned.)

>>Now i don't actually read hex with any great fluency and want to know
>>how to get rid of this unwanted intruder.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>

>TL:DR Try clicking the Right mouse button over the file and
>selecting a more familiar program to open it with from the "Open
>with..." menu that appears.

Yes. That menu in some Windows versions has the option to set what the
default opener for the filetype in question is (usually at the bottom of
the list it offers).

>I Googled for Ultra File Opener and got the impression that it was
>something that is often bundled with a new computer when you get it.
>Is it an HP computer by any chance? They seem to be enthusiastic
>bundlers - though it's not been bundled on mine.

Mike hasn't said he's using a new computer, so I'd suspect it's
something that's attached itself due to something else being installed -
even more likely a PUP.

><https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/ultra-file-opener-35420-program.aspx>
>(which I also found from my Google search) has a lot more information
>about the program including, about half way down the page,
>instructions for removal.

Sounds like something worth looking at (I haven't) - if that page gives
special instructions, sounds like UFO (!) doesn't have the normal remove
option (or it doesn't work properly). Even more rogueware.

>As for reading the attachment without using Ultra File Opener, can you
>place your mouse over the file in question and then click the RIGHT
>button? That should give you a menu which includes "Open with..." and
>a list of programs for you to choose from. I presume that the file
>format itself is showing as .txt or .pdf or may have been sent zipped
>up with a .zip extension. If it is a .zip then an ordinary file
>utility such as WinZip or 7-zip (either of which may well be installed
>already on your machine) will unpack it as a readable file. If it is

Though, depending perhaps on what application Mike is using to read
mail, it might have to be saved (exported, whatever) as a file first.
(If that is done, and it then examined - wherever it has been saved -
with ordinary file explorer, that itself - file explorer - usually opens
..zip files at least, as if they were a sub-folder - from Windows XP
onwards, IIRR (certainly 7).

>already a .txt or .pdf then that "Open with..." list will probably
>include familiar-looking names like Adobe Reader or Text Editor etc
>which should be fine. These days even browsers such as Firefox, Chrome
>and Edge are capable of opening pdfs and other files and so may be
>included in the list. It should be absolutely fine to open your file
>in any of those.

If it's a .txt or .pdf, that is. Or most common picture files. Anything
executable, including anything that can do macros such as some document
and spreadsheet formats, is potentially dodgy, though if it's from
Mike's daughter (and the rest of the email looks as if it really is from
her), it should be fine.

>I'm guessing that Ultra File Opener has wheedled its way into being
>the default program for opening certain types of file. If you don't

Or, given the sort of thing its name implies it is, into being the
default for _all_ filetypes.

>want to use it that way but you don't want to delete it then you ought
>to be able to change the defaults from Control Panel. But that's
>something for another time (which is a cunning way of saying that I
>haven't looked that bit up yet!)

Sounds like the sort of "UFO sighting" I would dismiss with extreme
prejudice - unless Mike actually _chose_ to install it. (-:

>Hope this is of some help.
>
>Nick

Ditto
--
John

But remember, in a permissive society, it is also permissible to stay at home
and have a nice cup of tea instead. Andrew Collins, RT 2015/2/14-20

Re: Techy Help Needed

<jbb0u7Fln1kU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7411&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7411

From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:59:19 +0100
 by: Mike Ruddock - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:59 UTC

On 08/04/2022 14:02, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:21:48 +0100, Mike Ruddock
> <ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> This morning I received an email from one of my daughters which had an
>> attachment with details of possible help for my wife.
>>
>> I clicked on it, expecting the usual window asking what I would like to
>> use to open the attachment, but instead got a pane from Ultra File
>> Opener asking me if I wished to upgrade to the full version or perhaps
>> taking the free option, which is to open the file in hex.
>>
>> Now i don't actually read hex with any great fluency and want to know
>> how to get rid of this unwanted intruder.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> TL:DR Try clicking the Right mouse button over the file and
> selecting a more familiar program to open it with from the "Open
> with..." menu that appears.
>

> I Googled for Ultra File Opener and got the impression that it was
> something that is often bundled with a new computer when you get it.
> Is it an HP computer by any chance? They seem to be enthusiastic
> bundlers - though it's not been bundled on mine.
>
> <https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/ultra-file-opener-35420-program.aspx>
> (which I also found from my Google search) has a lot more information
> about the program including, about half way down the page,
> instructions for removal.
>
> As for reading the attachment without using Ultra File Opener, can you
> place your mouse over the file in question and then click the RIGHT
> button? That should give you a menu which includes "Open with..." and
> a list of programs for you to choose from. I presume that the file
> format itself is showing as .txt or .pdf or may have been sent zipped
> up with a .zip extension. If it is a .zip then an ordinary file
> utility such as WinZip or 7-zip (either of which may well be installed
> already on your machine) will unpack it as a readable file. If it is
> already a .txt or .pdf then that "Open with..." list will probably
> include familiar-looking names like Adobe Reader or Text Editor etc
> which should be fine. These days even browsers such as Firefox, Chrome
> and Edge are capable of opening pdfs and other files and so may be
> included in the list. It should be absolutely fine to open your file
> in any of those.
>
> I'm guessing that Ultra File Opener has wheedled its way into being
> the default program for opening certain types of file. If you don't
> want to use it that way but you don't want to delete it then you ought
> to be able to change the defaults from Control Panel. But that's
> something for another time (which is a cunning way of saying that I
> haven't looked that bit up yet!)
>
> Hope this is of some help.
>
> Nick

Thanks for that long post, Nick. I tried but right clicking didn't offer
the menu you suggested. It belatedly occurred to me to remove the
offending item, which I did and now normal service has resumed. Oddly
the thing appears to have been on my machimne since october so why it
has only now decided to be a nuisance I don't know.

Mike Ruddock