The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

SubjectAuthor
* Moonlighting - Robert SnellNick Odell
`* Moonlighting - Robert SnellMike McMillan
 `* Moonlighting - Robert SnellSam Plusnet
  `* Moonlighting - Robert SnellNick Odell
   +* Moonlighting - Robert SnellJenny M Benson
   |`* Moonlighting - Robert SnellSam Plusnet
   | `* Moonlighting - Robert SnellNick Odell
   |  `* Moonlighting - Robert SnellSid Nuncius
   |   `- Moonlighting - Robert SnellVicky
   `* Moonlighting - Robert SnellPenny
    +- Moonlighting - Robert SnellKate B
    `- Moonlighting - Robert SnellChris

1
Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<vgms4htqp5uotrho5n9te8ktku1o9igb08@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7386&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7386

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Moonlighting - Robert Snell
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 04:41:53 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 03:41 UTC

Michael Cochrane is a featured actor in Raffles - currently being
broadcast over on BBC Radio 4 Extra - but I was surprised to discover
Graham Blockey way down in the same cast list and playing a different
character in each episode.

I had thought that Graham Blockey only did the Robert Snell gig - at
least that was the impression I got from various "GP is an actor in
The Archers" articles in the press[1] - but IMDb suggests that he has
been on television too. IMDb mentions his part in The Archers but says
nothing about Raffles which has me wondering if he has done any other
radio work. Has anyrat heard him perform in anything else?

Nick
[1]Although the most recent article I have seen was more along the
lines of "Retired GP is an actor in The Archers"

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<t2m40j$t48$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7388&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7388

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:31:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iTpRe5srqoaTViH6FNngklzStLM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:31 UTC

Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> Michael Cochrane is a featured actor in Raffles - currently being
> broadcast over on BBC Radio 4 Extra - but I was surprised to discover
> Graham Blockey way down in the same cast list and playing a different
> character in each episode.
>
> I had thought that Graham Blockey only did the Robert Snell gig - at
> least that was the impression I got from various "GP is an actor in
> The Archers" articles in the press[1] - but IMDb suggests that he has
> been on television too. IMDb mentions his part in The Archers but says
> nothing about Raffles which has me wondering if he has done any other
> radio work. Has anyrat heard him perform in anything else?
>
> Nick
> [1]Although the most recent article I have seen was more along the
> lines of "Retired GP is an actor in The Archers"

Perhaps he will become a submariner - you know - hung up his stethoscope to
pick up his periscope.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<7cI3K.45288$Xa1.39490@fx10.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7401&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7401

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:54:26 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:54 UTC

On 07-Apr-22 8:31, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
>> Michael Cochrane is a featured actor in Raffles - currently being
>> broadcast over on BBC Radio 4 Extra - but I was surprised to discover
>> Graham Blockey way down in the same cast list and playing a different
>> character in each episode.
>>
>> I had thought that Graham Blockey only did the Robert Snell gig - at
>> least that was the impression I got from various "GP is an actor in
>> The Archers" articles in the press[1] - but IMDb suggests that he has
>> been on television too. IMDb mentions his part in The Archers but says
>> nothing about Raffles which has me wondering if he has done any other
>> radio work. Has anyrat heard him perform in anything else?
>>
>> Nick
>> [1]Although the most recent article I have seen was more along the
>> lines of "Retired GP is an actor in The Archers"
>>

> Perhaps he will become a submariner - you know - hung up his stethoscope to
> pick up his periscope.

You have reminded me of a photograph, on the BBC news website, of our
own dear queen - in her younger days - aboard one of her submarines and
peering through a periscope - whilst wearing a quite fetching hat.

P.S. Why fetching?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<u3pu4hpc892sbtpp3hohuooof50fqsnr3p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7402&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7402

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 23:27:50 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:27 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:54:26 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 07-Apr-22 8:31, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
>>> Michael Cochrane is a featured actor in Raffles - currently being
>>> broadcast over on BBC Radio 4 Extra - but I was surprised to discover
>>> Graham Blockey way down in the same cast list and playing a different
>>> character in each episode.
>>>
>>> I had thought that Graham Blockey only did the Robert Snell gig - at
>>> least that was the impression I got from various "GP is an actor in
>>> The Archers" articles in the press[1] - but IMDb suggests that he has
>>> been on television too. IMDb mentions his part in The Archers but says
>>> nothing about Raffles which has me wondering if he has done any other
>>> radio work. Has anyrat heard him perform in anything else?
>>>
>>> Nick
>>> [1]Although the most recent article I have seen was more along the
>>> lines of "Retired GP is an actor in The Archers"
>>>

>> Perhaps he will become a submariner - you know - hung up his stethoscope to
>> pick up his periscope.
>>
>You have reminded me of a photograph, on the BBC news website, of our
>own dear queen - in her younger days - aboard one of her submarines and
>peering through a periscope - whilst wearing a quite fetching hat.
>
>P.S. Why fetching?

I think it's one of those words (were we talking about "sophisticated"
in umra recently?) which has come to mean something quite different
from what it originally meant. I think something fetching used to mean
underhand and cunning - but then it changed.

Nick

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<jbabj9FhktpU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7406&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7406

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 09:55:07 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:55 UTC

On 07/04/2022 23:27, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:54:26 +0100, Sam Plusnet<not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Perhaps he will become a submariner - you know - hung up his stethoscope to
>>> pick up his periscope.
>>>
>> You have reminded me of a photograph, on the BBC news website, of our
>> own dear queen - in her younger days - aboard one of her submarines and
>> peering through a periscope - whilst wearing a quite fetching hat.
>>
>> P.S. Why fetching?
> I think it's one of those words (were we talking about "sophisticated"
> in umra recently?) which has come to mean something quite different
> from what it originally meant. I think something fetching used to mean
> underhand and cunning - but then it changed.

.... to "overhead and stunning" in the case of our dear Queen.

--
Jenny M Benson

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<r4n05hldt5i1fd4jjd7pjbfdkojjt8af75@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7412&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7412

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 17:35:25 +0100
 by: Penny - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:35 UTC

On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 23:27:50 +0100, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...

>On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:54:26 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>You have reminded me of a photograph, on the BBC news website, of our
>>own dear queen - in her younger days - aboard one of her submarines and
>>peering through a periscope - whilst wearing a quite fetching hat.
>>
>>P.S. Why fetching?
>
>I think it's one of those words (were we talking about "sophisticated"
>in umra recently?) which has come to mean something quite different
>from what it originally meant. I think something fetching used to mean
>underhand and cunning - but then it changed.

I don't recall discussing sophisticated here recently, but I think it's a
bit like glamorous, which I believe basically means fake.
Pratchett (and others - who wrote those radio plays about fairies below
London?) made much of that meaning.

Brewers says the noun 'fetch' is a wraith - the disembodied ghost of a
living person - which may appear to distant friends at the moment of the
person's death. It cites Dickens 'The very fetch and ghost of Mrs Gamp'
Also used in the sense of a stratagem, artifice, or trick by Shakespear.

The verb fetch generally means get. In terms of stylish hats, I imagine
what they will get for you is attention. I certainly found that when I,
aged 15, bought myself a grown-up hat and wore it while wandering around
Bishop's Stortford on a Saturday morning. I didn't much like the attention,
even from the severs in the cafe who were strangely reverential, and never
wore it again looking the way it did when I bought it.

The dictionary gives many definitions for fetch, including what Brewers
says, but for 'fetching' it says 'fascinating'. Which definitely puts it in
the same bucket as glamorous and sophisticated.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<jbb8pgFn73gU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7413&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7413

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:13:21 +0100
 by: Kate B - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:13 UTC

On 08/04/2022 17:35, Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 23:27:50 +0100, Nick Odell
> <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:54:26 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>>> You have reminded me of a photograph, on the BBC news website, of our
>>> own dear queen - in her younger days - aboard one of her submarines and
>>> peering through a periscope - whilst wearing a quite fetching hat.
>>>
>>> P.S. Why fetching?
>>
>> I think it's one of those words (were we talking about "sophisticated"
>> in umra recently?) which has come to mean something quite different
>>from what it originally meant. I think something fetching used to mean
>> underhand and cunning - but then it changed.
>
> I don't recall discussing sophisticated here recently, but I think it's a
> bit like glamorous, which I believe basically means fake.
> Pratchett (and others - who wrote those radio plays about fairies below
> London?) made much of that meaning.

Glamorous doesn't really mean fake, though it's part of it. The word has
a fabulous history. Essentially it's the same word as 'Grammar', which
originally meant scholarship in Latin or Greek. This word became
attached to books containing this scholarship, gradually being used in
particular for books dealing with arcane and occult matters, hence also
Grimoire in French as well as Gramarye in Scots. This word morphed into
Glamorie meaning enchantment (ie under a spell, which word has a similar
sort of development) and it's probably due to Walter Scott that it
acquired currency in English as well. So it does mean false/fake, but
it's an illusion rather than pretence.

--
Kate B

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<Ys14K.26711$sMg.9974@fx06.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7414&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7414

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:06:00 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:06 UTC

On 08-Apr-22 9:55, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 07/04/2022 23:27, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> You have reminded me of a photograph, on the BBC news website, of our
>>> own dear queen - in her younger days - aboard one of her submarines and
>>> peering through a periscope - whilst wearing a quite fetching hat.
>>>
>>> P.S.  Why fetching?
>> I think it's one of those words (were we talking about "sophisticated"
>> in umra recently?) which has come to mean something quite different
>> from what it originally meant. I think something fetching used to mean
>> underhand and cunning - but then it changed.
>
> ... to "overhead and stunning" in the case of our dear Queen.

On reflection, I do wish the photograph on a young HMQ was a full length
portrait.
I cannot imagine HMQ, in the 1950s or 60s, wearing trousers, but there
is no decorous way to get into (or leave) a submarine whilst wearing a
dress or skirt.
Did they ban all naval personnel from the compartment whilst she
navigated the ladder?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<bbc15hhsgo3gk9sic158t8pffv32ibaovc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7416&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7416

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 23:08:51 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:08 UTC

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:06:00 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 08-Apr-22 9:55, Jenny M Benson wrote:

>>> I think it's one of those words (were we talking about "sophisticated"
>>> in umra recently?) which has come to mean something quite different
>>> from what it originally meant. I think something fetching used to mean
>>> underhand and cunning - but then it changed.
>>
>> ... to "overhead and stunning" in the case of our dear Queen.
>>
>On reflection, I do wish the photograph on a young HMQ was a full length
>portrait.
>I cannot imagine HMQ, in the 1950s or 60s, wearing trousers, but there
>is no decorous way to get into (or leave) a submarine whilst wearing a
>dress or skirt.
>Did they ban all naval personnel from the compartment whilst she
>navigated the ladder?

I'd bet that Joanna Lumley could do it. I'm listening, years late but
for the first time, to "What's So Funny About...?" and I heard the
Absolutely Fabulous episode the other day. Ms Lumley, they said, had
been explaining to the cast how, in the absolutely fabulous swinging
sixties, she used to be able to climb out of a Mini in front of press
photographers and not show -erme- anything.

Nick

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<jbcjvaFf9rU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7418&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7418

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 06:30:16 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 05:30 UTC

On 08/04/2022 23:08, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:06:00 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>> On reflection, I do wish the photograph on a young HMQ was a full length
>> portrait.
>> I cannot imagine HMQ, in the 1950s or 60s, wearing trousers, but there
>> is no decorous way to get into (or leave) a submarine whilst wearing a
>> dress or skirt.
>> Did they ban all naval personnel from the compartment whilst she
>> navigated the ladder?
>
> I'd bet that Joanna Lumley could do it. I'm listening, years late but
> for the first time, to "What's So Funny About...?" and I heard the
> Absolutely Fabulous episode the other day. Ms Lumley, they said, had
> been explaining to the cast how, in the absolutely fabulous swinging
> sixties, she used to be able to climb out of a Mini in front of press
> photographers and not show -erme- anything.

I didn't hear that one, but I remember at least one TV programme at the
time explaining the technique of getting out of a Mini while wearing a
mini. I think it involved keeping the legs together, pivoting on the
seat so that both legs came out of the door and touched the ground at
the same time and then standing up as gracefully as possible[1], using
hands on the seat to help if necessary.

I'm not sure that this technique would work for boarding a submarine.

[1]In Ms Lumley's case, I'm sure that was very gracefully indeed.
--
Sid

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<ovg25h1b7lag1hpo8tbjrtpfnhfmv2it79@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7420&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7420

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 09:31:00 +0100
 by: Vicky - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:31 UTC

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 06:30:16 +0100, Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:

>I didn't hear that one, but I remember at least one TV programme at the
>time explaining the technique of getting out of a Mini while wearing a
>mini. I think it involved keeping the legs together, pivoting on the
>seat so that both legs came out of the door and touched the ground at
>the same time and then standing up as gracefully as possible[1], using
>hands on the seat to help if necessary.
>
>I'm not sure that this technique would work for boarding a submarine.
>

>[1]In Ms Lumley's case, I'm sure that was very gracefully indeed.
>--
>Sid

That swivel and swing legs round works for any car for arthritic old
women too. Getting out and reverse for getting in. Not hands free
though.

Re: Moonlighting - Robert Snell

<t2rgoo$s7r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7422&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7422

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:39:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jLxVn+4PRSV2wjxijWWYoKCJb0Y=
 by: Chris - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:39 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 23:27:50 +0100, Nick Odell
> <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:54:26 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>>> You have reminded me of a photograph, on the BBC news website, of our
>>> own dear queen - in her younger days - aboard one of her submarines and
>>> peering through a periscope - whilst wearing a quite fetching hat.
>>>
>>> P.S. Why fetching?
>>
>> I think it's one of those words (were we talking about "sophisticated"
>> in umra recently?) which has come to mean something quite different
>> from what it originally meant. I think something fetching used to mean
>> underhand and cunning - but then it changed.
>
> I don't recall discussing sophisticated here recently, but I think it's a
> bit like glamorous, which I believe basically means fake.
> Pratchett (and others - who wrote those radio plays about fairies below
> London?) made much of that meaning.
>
> Brewers says the noun 'fetch' is a wraith - the disembodied ghost of a
> living person - which may appear to distant friends at the moment of the
> person's death. It cites Dickens 'The very fetch and ghost of Mrs Gamp'
> Also used in the sense of a stratagem, artifice, or trick by Shakespear.
>
> The verb fetch generally means get. In terms of stylish hats, I imagine
> what they will get for you is attention. I certainly found that when I,
> aged 15, bought myself a grown-up hat and wore it while wandering around
> Bishop's Stortford on a Saturday morning. I didn't much like the attention,
> even from the severs in the cafe who were strangely reverential, and never
> wore it again looking the way it did when I bought it.
>
> The dictionary gives many definitions for fetch, including what Brewers
> says, but for 'fetching' it says 'fascinating'. Which definitely puts it in
> the same bucket as glamorous and sophisticated.

As in ‘fascinator’ as in hats

Sincerely Chris