All is fear in love and war.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Fingerprint recognition and DIY

SubjectAuthor
* Fingerprint recognition and DIYalan_m
+* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYJeff Gaines
||+* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYThe Natural Philosopher
|||`- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYBrian Gaff
||`- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYGB
|+* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYFredxx
||`- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYRod Speed
|+* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYwhisky-dave
||+- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYTim+
||+- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYBob Eager
||`- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYRod Speed
|`- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYBrian Gaff
+* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYBrian
|`- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYTricky Dicky
+* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYRod Speed
|`* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYJohn J
| `- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYMax Demian
+* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYAdrian Caspersz
|`* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYalan_m
| `- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYBob Eager
`* Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYBrian Gaff
 `- Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIYRod Speed

1
Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<jrf5dgFj8isU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74401&group=uk.d-i-y#74401

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Fingerprint recognition and DIY
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 10:00:33 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 09:00 UTC

I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
recognition.

Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the
fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.

Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<titpo1$jpp0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74412&group=uk.d-i-y#74412

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 10:45:37 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 09:45 UTC

On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:

> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
> recognition.
>
> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
> washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
> of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
> rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
> devices since :(  I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the
> fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>
> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.

yes. What you should do is grease your fingers, douse them in superglue
and peel off some moulds and make silicone rubber fingers. And attach
them to the phone or other device.
Or simply don't use useless fingerprint security in the first place.
Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<xn0nodcysbfes8w00g@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74413&group=uk.d-i-y#74413

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Oct 2022 09:55:08 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 09:55 UTC

On 21/10/2022 in message <titpo1$jpp0$1@dont-email.me> The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

>Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.

Other way round I think?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<titrhm$jtd3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74420&group=uk.d-i-y#74420

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:16:22 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 10:16 UTC

> On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:
>>
>> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
>> recognition.
>>
>> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some
>> dish washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for
>> period of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4
>> sides of a rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has
>> failed on both devices since :(  I presume that I've flattened the
>> ridges on the fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>>
>> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
>>
> yes. What you should do is grease your fingers, douse them in superglue
> and peel off some moulds and make silicone rubber fingers. And attach
> them to the phone or other device.
> Or simply don't use useless fingerprint security in the first place.

Agreed.

> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.

You were doing well up to this point.

I'm sure if you were in your current state of life 30 years ago, you
would be the sort of Luddite to avoid PCs and computer equipment too?

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<tits06$jvpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74422&group=uk.d-i-y#74422

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 10:24:06 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tVB20Bd1uQ9fdy5INu6zP3asD44=
 by: Brian - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 10:24 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
> recognition.
>
> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
> washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
> of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
> rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
> devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the
> fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>
> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.

In 2006 ( I recall the year for other reasons) we took a family trip to the
USA. The US take a couple of finger prints front people entering over a
certain age- my wife and I were eligible and,as I recall, our eldest, but
not our twins.

Shortly before, I’d ‘burnt’ my fingers with some chemicals - I have some
dexterity issues and loss of feeling in my right hand due to a stroke a few
months earlier and spilled them. They were healing but the tips were still
smooth. No problem said the operator, and took the ‘print’.

I assume they don’t compare the prints with those taken on later trips as
my patterns have returned, I assume to what they were before.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<titvss$k9o1$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74432&group=uk.d-i-y#74432

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 12:30:36 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:30 UTC

On 21/10/2022 10:55, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 21/10/2022 in message <titpo1$jpp0$1@dont-email.me> The Natural
> Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.
>
> Other way round I think?

As long as the desired end result is achieved. And you get a life back.

--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Mary Wollstonecraft

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<tiu0h4$k9o1$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74434&group=uk.d-i-y#74434

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 12:41:24 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:41 UTC

On 21/10/2022 11:24, Brian wrote:
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
>> recognition.
>>
>> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
>> washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
>> of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
>> rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
>> devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the
>> fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>>
>> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
>>

> In 2006 ( I recall the year for other reasons) we took a family trip to the
> USA. The US take a couple of finger prints front people entering over a
> certain age- my wife and I were eligible and,as I recall, our eldest, but
> not our twins.
>
> Shortly before, I’d ‘burnt’ my fingers with some chemicals - I have some
> dexterity issues and loss of feeling in my right hand due to a stroke a few
> months earlier and spilled them. They were healing but the tips were still
> smooth. No problem said the operator, and took the ‘print’.
>
> I assume they don’t compare the prints with those taken on later trips as
> my patterns have returned, I assume to what they were before.

Bureaucracy is like that. I think I had my fingerprints taken last time
in S Africa.
But I lived there, under embargo. Doing electronics. I never forget the
day I took a call - my boss was out - from the crunchiest Afrikaner in
the import department (Thick Afrikaners all got public sector jobs. Now
its the presidents tribe instead. No different)
"I have these are CAPACIDERs here, and I need to do the papervork ja?"
"Okay, what for?"
"Ja man it's for the impord duty, ni? I need to know what sort of
"CAPCIDERS" they are. "
"Well what sort of 'Capaciders' have you got listed?"
"I got Capaciders, power electrical, I got capaciders, automotive, I got
capaciders, electronic manufacturing, and I got capaciders, radio spare
parts"...
"Which has the least duty?"
"Radio spare parts".
"I think that's what they are then"
"Ok man, that's what they are, have a good day minjheer"

Bureaucracy. Jobs for the boys innit?

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<tiu0p5$kcv8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74435&group=uk.d-i-y#74435

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:45:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:B0lUZDrLKEOnc6C395twWXI9e8o=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:45 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
> recognition.
>
> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
> washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
> of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
> rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
> devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the
> fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>
> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.

Happened to me after getting glue on my finger tips but at least I had the
foresight to do several fingers when instigating fingerprint recognition so
had no problem in the end.

Richard

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<7d4d31d0-15ad-422c-ae76-4c7a70e3bcb8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74444&group=uk.d-i-y#74444

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 05:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 12:48 UTC

On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 10:45:41 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:
> >
> > I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
> > recognition.
> >
> > Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
> > washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
> > of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
> > rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
> > devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the
> > fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
> >
> > Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
> >
> yes. What you should do is grease your fingers, douse them in superglue
> and peel off some moulds and make silicone rubber fingers. And attach
> them to the phone or other device.

Has anyone actually tried that themselves I've only seen this done on low tech crimes and comedy sketches.
Same thing with cctv where they can enhance almost anything up to perfect clarity.

> Or simply don't use useless fingerprint security in the first place.

It works OK for me , I prefer it to face ID.

> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.

Yeah doubt you'd get so many useless selfies , if we had to go back to highering painters
for portraits back when you were a lad in the 18th century ;-)

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<1830314284.688050041.853700.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74447&group=uk.d-i-y#74447

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Oct 2022 13:02:30 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 13:02 UTC

whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 10:45:41 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:
>>>
>>> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
>>> recognition.
>>>
>>> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
>>> washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
>>> of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
>>> rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
>>> devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the
>>> fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>>>
>>> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
>>>
>> yes. What you should do is grease your fingers, douse them in superglue
>> and peel off some moulds and make silicone rubber fingers. And attach
>> them to the phone or other device.
>
> Has anyone actually tried that themselves I've only seen this done on low
> tech crimes and comedy sketches.
> Same thing with cctv where they can enhance almost anything up to perfect clarity.
>

>> Or simply don't use useless fingerprint security in the first place.
>
> It works OK for me , I prefer it to face ID.
>
>> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.
>
> Yeah doubt you'd get so many useless selfies , if we had to go back to highering painters
> for portraits back when you were a lad in the 18th century ;-)

No doubt TNP can recall smashing up weaving frames too. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<tiu5je$kopl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74450&group=uk.d-i-y#74450

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 14:07:58 +0100
 by: GB - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 13:07 UTC

On 21/10/2022 10:55, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 21/10/2022 in message <titpo1$jpp0$1@dont-email.me> The Natural
> Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.
>
> Other way round I think?

Ummmm? Throw the stamp in the bin, and phone it?

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<jrflomFdjflU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74453&group=uk.d-i-y#74453

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Oct 2022 13:39:34 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 13:39 UTC

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 05:48:04 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

>> yes. What you should do is grease your fingers, douse them in superglue
>> and peel off some moulds and make silicone rubber fingers. And attach
>> them to the phone or other device.
>
> Has anyone actually tried that themselves I've only seen this done on
> low tech crimes and comedy sketches.
> Same thing with cctv where they can enhance almost anything up to
> perfect clarity.

I recommend the book "The Hand Of Mary Constable" by Paul Gallico.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<op.1ud92gtkbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74467&group=uk.d-i-y#74467

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 02:16:54 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 15:16 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
> recognition.

Me too.

> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower

Never get that.

> or been doing some dish washing shortly before.

Never wash dishes by hand.

I have very very rarely, say once ever couple of years,
end up with wet hands which causes the fingerprint
sensing to fail but trying the hand fixes that immediately.

That's with iphones 6S and now SE3 and a Lenovo laptop.

> Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period of less than 30
> minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a rectangular foam
> block).

Havent done that for more than half a century now.

> The fingerprint recognition has failed on both devices since :( I
> presume that I've flattened the ridges on the fingers of my hand by
> holding on to a sandpaper surface.

You could try relearning the fingerprint.

> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<op.1uebnklgbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74474&group=uk.d-i-y#74474

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 02:51:10 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 15:51 UTC

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 21:16:22 +1100, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

> On 21/10/2022 10:45, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:
>>>
>>> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
>>> recognition.
>>>
>>> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some
>>> dish washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for
>>> period of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4
>>> sides of a rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has
>>> failed on both devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the
>>> ridges on the fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>>>
>>> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
>>>
>> yes. What you should do is grease your fingers, douse them in superglue
>> and peel off some moulds and make silicone rubber fingers. And attach
>> them to the phone or other device.

>> Or simply don't use useless fingerprint security in the first place.

> Agreed.

More fool you.

>> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.

> You were doing well up to this point.

> I'm sure if you were in your current state of life 30 years ago, you
> would be the sort of Luddite to avoid PCs and computer equipment too?

His problem is that touch screens don't like his fingers.

Not a problem with a laptop or PC running Linux.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<op.1uecq8wrbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74480&group=uk.d-i-y#74480

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 03:14:58 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 16:14 UTC

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 23:48:04 +1100, whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 10:45:41 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
> wrote:
>> On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:
>> >
>> > I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
>> > recognition.
>> >
>> > Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some
>> dish
>> > washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for
>> period
>> > of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
>> > rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on
>> both
>> > devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the
>> > fingers of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>> >
>> > Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
>> >
>> yes. What you should do is grease your fingers, douse them in superglue
>> and peel off some moulds and make silicone rubber fingers. And attach
>> them to the phone or other device.

> Has anyone actually tried that themselves

Yep, it doesn't work with the best fingerprint sensors
which check the temperature and pulse in the finger.

> I've only seen this done on low tech crimes and comedy sketches.

Someone did do it with the fucked Samsung sensor.

> Same thing with cctv where they can enhance almost anything up to
> perfect clarity.

Facial recognition is much harder to fake but is a problem with masks.

>> Or simply don't use useless fingerprint security in the first place.
>
> It works OK for me , I prefer it to face ID.

Me too. More convenient to record the right finger,
just take the phone out of your pocket and wave it
at the terminal when paying for something.

But facial recognition works better with the stupid
iphone insistence on unlocking the phone when
driving when a new message comes in and you
want it played to you while you continue to drive.

Apple is currently too stupid to use a voice print for that.

>> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.

> Yeah doubt you'd get so many useless selfies , if we had to go back to
> highering painters
> for portraits back when you were a lad in the 18th century ;-)

And we wouldnt see the phone curl up and die with those as ugly as the
turnip.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<jrg2qoFo32oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74488&group=uk.d-i-y#74488

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 18:22:32 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 17:22 UTC

On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:

> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
> recognition.
>
> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
> washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
> of less than 30 minutes.

Try rubbing your fingers through your hair, and have another go.

Worked for Mum when a US Immigration official at an airport almost
convinced himself that I'd been adopted by an alien for the last 50+ years.

--
Adrian C

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<jrg3anFo43tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74491&group=uk.d-i-y#74491

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 18:31:03 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 17:31 UTC

On 21/10/2022 18:22, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:
>>
>> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
>> recognition.
>>
>> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some
>> dish washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for
>> period of less than 30 minutes.
>
> Try rubbing your fingers through your hair, and have another go.

What hair? These days a (self) haircut is running over with the clippers
set to the shortest setting.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<jrgjluFdjflU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74519&group=uk.d-i-y#74519

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Oct 2022 22:10:06 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 22:10 UTC

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 18:31:03 +0100, alan_m wrote:

> On 21/10/2022 18:22, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>> On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:
>>>
>>> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
>>> recognition.
>>>
>>> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some
>>> dish washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for
>>> period of less than 30 minutes.
>>
>> Try rubbing your fingers through your hair, and have another go.
>
> What hair? These days a (self) haircut is running over with the clippers
> set to the shortest setting.

Visions of someone sticking their hands down their trousers at this
point...

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<tj0a5f$sl8n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74539&group=uk.d-i-y#74539

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:38:03 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 08:38 UTC

This I suspect is why my phone has face recognition. The apple system is not
fooled by a photo, since it has a depth scanning mode from a laser
apparently.

A friend of mine was born with no fingerprints and she has never been able
to use this identification mode.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
> recognition.
>
> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
> washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
> of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
> rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
> devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the fingers
> of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>
> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
>
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<tj0a97$slkg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74540&group=uk.d-i-y#74540

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:40:03 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 08:40 UTC

Come on tell us what you really think!

Unfortunately everything these days assumes you have a smart phone. Booked a
ticket recently?
Brian

--

--:
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 21/10/2022 10:00, alan_m wrote:
>>
>> I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
>> recognition.
>>
>> Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower or been doing some dish
>> washing shortly before. Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period
>> of less than 30 minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a
>> rectangular foam block). The fingerprint recognition has failed on both
>> devices since :( I presume that I've flattened the ridges on the fingers
>> of my hand by holding on to a sandpaper surface.
>>
>> Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
>>
> yes. What you should do is grease your fingers, douse them in superglue
> and peel off some moulds and make silicone rubber fingers. And attach them
> to the phone or other device.
> Or simply don't use useless fingerprint security in the first place.
> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.
>
> --
> "I guess a rattlesnake ain't risponsible fer bein' a rattlesnake, but ah
> puts mah heel on um jess the same if'n I catches him around mah chillun".

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<tj0ae4$sls6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74541&group=uk.d-i-y#74541

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:42:40 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 08:42 UTC

But you can turn them off you know. Its not like anyone forces you to check
them every few minutes.
I put mine into mute and turn airplane mode on and then you can use it as
an expensive clock.
Brian

--

--:
> On 21/10/2022 10:55, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> On 21/10/2022 in message <titpo1$jpp0$1@dont-email.me> The Natural
>> Philosopher wrote:
>>
>>> Best of all, throw the smart phone in the bin and stamp on it.
>>
>> Other way round I think?
>>
> As long as the desired end result is achieved. And you get a life back.
>

> --
> "But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
> hypothesis!"
>
> Mary Wollstonecraft

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<op.1ufnqvswbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74548&group=uk.d-i-y#74548

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 20:09:57 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:09 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote

> This I suspect is why my phone has face recognition.

Nope. Apple just claims that facial recognition is much more reliable.

> The apple system is not
> fooled by a photo,

Correct.

> since it has a depth scanning mode

Correct,

> from a laser apparently.

Nope, lots of leds.

> A friend of mine was born with no fingerprints

Fark, never heard of that. Born to be a criminal.

Fark, 5 extended familys world wide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adermatoglyphia

> and she has never been able
> to use this identification mode.

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<343ebc5f-0000-4842-8db6-10261cd442e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74556&group=uk.d-i-y#74556

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 02:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:52 UTC

On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 16:17:02 UTC+1, rod.sp...@gmail.com wrote:
> alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
> > I have both my phone and laptop set up to unlock via fingerprint
> > recognition.
> Me too.
> > Sometimes this will fail if I have had a shower
> Never get that.
> > or been doing some dish washing shortly before.
> Never wash dishes by hand.
>
> I have very very rarely, say once ever couple of years,
> end up with wet hands which causes the fingerprint
> sensing to fail but trying the hand fixes that immediately.
>
> That's with iphones 6S and now SE3 and a Lenovo laptop.
> > Yesterday I was using a sanding block for period of less than 30
> > minutes. (wet and dry sandpaper bonded to 4 sides of a rectangular foam
> > block).
> Havent done that for more than half a century now.
> > The fingerprint recognition has failed on both devices since :( I
> > presume that I've flattened the ridges on the fingers of my hand by
> > holding on to a sandpaper surface.
> You could try relearning the fingerprint.
> > Both devices have a secondary entry mode to allow unlocking.
I recall the old advert for Fairy liquid - "hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face"

Re: Fingerprint recognition and DIY

<tj0ik3$t7uh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74561&group=uk.d-i-y#74561

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 12:02:28 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 11:02 UTC

On 22/10/2022 10:52, John J wrote:

> I recall the old advert for Fairy liquid - "hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face"

"Mummy! Why are your hanth tho thoft?"
"'Cos I'm 14. Now shut up and eat your chips!"

--
Max Demian