Never give an inch!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets driving ban for speeding

SubjectAuthor
* ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets driving banswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster getJNugent
+* Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets drivingMike Collins
|`- Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster getJNugent
`- Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster getsSpike

1
‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets driving ban for speeding

<b5f1d750-8f84-4c4c-bca1-8839a8c19bd7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7458&group=uk.rec.cycling#7458

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 05:16:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ‘Cycling_goalkeeper’_Ben_Foster_gets_driving_ban
_for_speeding
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:16 UTC

Watford footballer and former England international Ben Foster, who is well known for his love of cycling, has been banned from driving for six months and slapped with a £2,250 fine for speeding.

The ex-Manchester United goalkeeper was recorded driving his Tesla (link is external) at 99mph on the M40 at Beaconsfield between Wooburn Green Lane and Junction 2 in April last year.

Foster was convicted on 14 December after pleading not guilty. He failed to appear for his sentencing earlier this week at Wycombe Magistrates’ Court, where he was fined a total of £2,250 and given six points on his license.

According to a court official, those six points mean Foster has now accumulated at least 12 points on his license (SIC), resulting in a six-month driving ban.

He also has been ordered to pay a £190 surcharge and £620 in costs.

The 38-year-old has been capped eight times for England and has made over 500 senior appearances for Premier League clubs such as current side Watford, West Bromwich Albion and Manchester United, where he picked up two League Cup winner’s medals.

In September 2020 Foster set up his own YouTube channel, ‘The Cycling GK’, which currently has over a million subscribers and combines video diaries of his football career and his experiences on two wheels.

He has spoken frequently about his passion for cycling, and revealed to road.cc last year that he convinced a few of his Watford teammates, such as Troy Deeney and Tom Cleverley, to start riding bikes during the initial Covid lockdowns.

Foster also said that he hopes to pursue bike packing and gravel riding when he hangs up his football boots, with the Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees – along with the Dirty Kanza gravel event – on his post-career to-do list.

Earlier this month, Quick Step-Alpha Vinyl star Remco Evenepoel was banned from driving for 21 days after the Belgian rider was caught driving at 125kph in a 70kph zone, a misdemeanour his lawyer attributed to a ‘youthful error’.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-goalkeeper-ben-foster-gets-driving-ban-speeding-291435

Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets driving ban for speeding

<jab9djFi54pU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7467&group=uk.rec.cycling#7467

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_‘Cycling_goalkeeper’_Ben_Foster_get
s_driving_ban_for_speeding
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 15:07:48 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 14:07 UTC

> Watford footballer and former England international Ben Foster, who is well known for his love of cycling, has been banned from driving for six months and slapped with a £2,250 fine for speeding.

£2,250? [Plus £810 - see below]

That's almost a morning's wages for a Premier League player!

> The ex-Manchester United goalkeeper was recorded driving his Tesla (link is external) at 99mph on the M40 at Beaconsfield between Wooburn Green Lane and Junction 2 in April last year.
>
> Foster was convicted on 14 December after pleading not guilty. He failed to appear for his sentencing earlier this week at Wycombe Magistrates’ Court, where he was fined a total of £2,250 and given six points on his license.
>
> According to a court official, those six points mean Foster has now accumulated at least 12 points on his license (SIC), resulting in a six-month driving ban.

But at least in six months, the points will be gone, instead of staying
there for up to four years.

> He also has been ordered to pay a £190 surcharge and £620 in costs.
>
> The 38-year-old has been capped eight times for England and has made over 500 senior appearances for Premier League clubs such as current side Watford, West Bromwich Albion and Manchester United, where he picked up two League Cup winner’s medals.
>
> In September 2020 Foster set up his own YouTube channel, ‘The Cycling GK’, which currently has over a million subscribers and combines video diaries of his football career and his experiences on two wheels.
>
> He has spoken frequently about his passion for cycling, and revealed to road.cc last year that he convinced a few of his Watford teammates, such as Troy Deeney and Tom Cleverley, to start riding bikes during the initial Covid lockdowns.
>
> Foster also said that he hopes to pursue bike packing and gravel riding when he hangs up his football boots, with the Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees – along with the Dirty Kanza gravel event – on his post-career to-do list.
>
> Earlier this month, Quick Step-Alpha Vinyl star Remco Evenepoel was banned from driving for 21 days after the Belgian rider was caught driving at 125kph in a 70kph zone, a misdemeanour his lawyer attributed to a ‘youthful error’.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-goalkeeper-ben-foster-gets-driving-ban-speeding-291435

Fairy-cyclists, eh? ;-)

Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets driving ban for speeding

<33b72956-944a-4e2d-b0b6-2984157a2b04n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7482&group=uk.rec.cycling#7482

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 10:39:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_‘Cycling_goalkeeper’_Ben_Foster_gets_driving
_ban_for_speeding
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:39 UTC

On Sunday, 27 March 2022 at 13:16:32 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Watford footballer and former England international Ben Foster, who is well known for his love of cycling, has been banned from driving for six months and slapped with a £2,250 fine for speeding.
>
> The ex-Manchester United goalkeeper was recorded driving his Tesla (link is external) at 99mph on the M40 at Beaconsfield between Wooburn Green Lane and Junction 2 in April last year.
>
> Foster was convicted on 14 December after pleading not guilty. He failed to appear for his sentencing earlier this week at Wycombe Magistrates’ Court, where he was fined a total of £2,250 and given six points on his license.
>
> According to a court official, those six points mean Foster has now accumulated at least 12 points on his license (SIC), resulting in a six-month driving ban.
>
> He also has been ordered to pay a £190 surcharge and £620 in costs.
>
> The 38-year-old has been capped eight times for England and has made over 500 senior appearances for Premier League clubs such as current side Watford, West Bromwich Albion and Manchester United, where he picked up two League Cup winner’s medals.
>
> In September 2020 Foster set up his own YouTube channel, ‘The Cycling GK’, which currently has over a million subscribers and combines video diaries of his football career and his experiences on two wheels.
>
> He has spoken frequently about his passion for cycling, and revealed to road.cc last year that he convinced a few of his Watford teammates, such as Troy Deeney and Tom Cleverley, to start riding bikes during the initial Covid lockdowns.
>
> Foster also said that he hopes to pursue bike packing and gravel riding when he hangs up his football boots, with the Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees – along with the Dirty Kanza gravel event – on his post-career to-do list.
>
> Earlier this month, Quick Step-Alpha Vinyl star Remco Evenepoel was banned from driving for 21 days after the Belgian rider was caught driving at 125kph in a 70kph zone, a misdemeanour his lawyer attributed to a ‘youthful error’.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-goalkeeper-ben-foster-gets-driving-ban-speeding-291435

It was clearly not his fault, he was forced to speed to avoid an unlit cyclist.

Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets driving ban for speeding

<jacggmFpb8lU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7488&group=uk.rec.cycling#7488

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
s_driving_ban_for_speeding
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 02:15:02 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 01:15 UTC

> On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 6:39:33 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
>> It was clearly not his fault, he was forced to speed to avoid an unlit cyclist.
>
> Reminds me of the time that David Beckham claimed that he had to speed in his Ferrari as he was being tailgated by a photographer in a Ford Fiesta. :-)

Both cars are easily capable of exceeding any UK road speed limit. So
can a Fiat 500.

But perhaps you "think" (ha!) that they aren't.

Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets driving ban for speeding

<t1rpa5$ne$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7490&group=uk.rec.cycling#7490

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_‘Cycling_goalkeeper’_Ben_Foster_gets_
driving_ban_for_speeding
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 07:49:26 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 07:49 UTC

On 27/03/2022 15:56, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 1:16:32 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> According to a court official, those six points mean Foster has now accumulated at least 12 points on his license (SIC), resulting in a six-month driving ban.

> He will able to afford a driver - like ex Hull City chairman who got a year's ban.

Time to close that pesky 'wealth' loophole! What does road.cc propose to
do about it?

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: ‘Cycling goalkeeper’ Ben Foster gets driving ban for speeding