From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: People move their cars for the bin men - but rubbished by 'SM' as
SELFISH
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 08:14:51 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 08:14 UTC

Rowland Ekwulugo, 83, added: "I do not use a car because I am a
pensioner, but do have visitors who have a car. It is a relatively
narrow road so when it is busy it can be difficult.

"People are sensible though. When the rubbish men come, they move their
cars onto the pavement." - SELFISH GITS - SM.

<https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/18049843/parking-street-bad-given-up-driving-fight/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunmotorsfacebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1648131217>

--
Spike

Re: People move their cars for the bin men - but rubbished by 'SM' as SELFISH

<jadpj4F2bdoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7499&group=uk.rec.cycling#7499

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
SELFISH
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:56:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:56 UTC

On 28/03/2022 09:14 am, Spike wrote:

> Rowland Ekwulugo, 83, added: "I do not use a car because I am a
> pensioner,

What is the connection?

Every pensioner I know who is not too infirm to do so drives a car.

> but do have visitors who have a car. It is a relatively
> narrow road so when it is busy it can be difficult.

In that case, it wasn't designed for parking as well as passage.

The outcome would be the same if he lived in a flat in London's Oxford
Street, Liverpool's Tithebarn Street, Birmingham's Hurst Street, Bath's
Lower Borough Walls or Newcastle's Neville Street. None of them allow
parking of private vehicles, not never, not nohow.

> "People are sensible though. When the rubbish men come, they move their
> cars onto the pavement." - SELFISH GITS - SM.

Mason "think" it would be better if the residents of that street never
had their waste collected or recycled.

> <https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/18049843/parking-street-bad-given-up-driving-fight/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunmotorsfacebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1648131217>

It depends on the width of such a street, but there is a legal process
for designating a thoroughfare - usually a cul-de-sac - as a shared
surface street. This involves removing the distinction between footway
and carriageway, with the consequent enabling of parking immediately
adjacent to the buildings, with all passage (of pedestrians, motor
vehicles *and* freeloaders) essentially on the passage down the middle
(sometimes there's still a yellow line down one side in very narrow
streets).

It's effectively the same arrangement as the one we wouldn't think twice
about - and would accept as absolutely normal - in a rural village. But
as an urban solution, it probably isn't all that good for through-streets.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / People move their cars for the bin men - but rubbished by 'SM' as SELFISH