If you didn't get caught, did you really do it?

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

SubjectAuthor
* Shed Door Sings ShutNick Odell
`* Shed Door Sings ShutTone
 `* Shed Door Sings ShutNick Odell
  `* Shed Door Sings ShutTone
   `* Shed Door Sings ShutNick Odell
    +* Shed Door Sings ShutTone
    |`* Shed Door Sings ShutNick Odell
    | `- Shed Door Sings ShutTone
    `* Shed Door Sings ShutChris Elvidge
     `* Shed Door Sings ShutNick Odell
      `* Shed Door Sings ShutChris Elvidge
       `- Shed Door Sings ShutNick Odell

1
Shed Door Sings Shut

<rhqgvgt7jp8a95111mhspcs2varm9o9n43@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7183&group=uk.rec.sheds#7183

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Shed Door Sings Shut
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 23:06:51 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 23:06 UTC

It's been announced that folk royalty, Norma Waterson has shut her
shed door.

Tone, as a long time friend of hers, my condolences to you and of
course my thoughts and prayers are with Martin and the family.

Time for a retrospective, I suppose: though I'd far rather that she
were alive and kicking than that we were looking back on her triumphs.

Go well, Norma.

Nick

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<st9t8g$86f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7189&group=uk.rec.sheds#7189

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Shed Door Sings Shut
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 00:01:22 +0000
 by: Tone - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 00:01 UTC

On 31/01/2022 23:06, Nick Odell wrote:
> It's been announced that folk royalty, Norma Waterson has shut her
> shed door.
>
> Tone, as a long time friend of hers, my condolences to you and of
> course my thoughts and prayers are with Martin and the family.
>
> Time for a retrospective, I suppose: though I'd far rather that she
> were alive and kicking than that we were looking back on her triumphs.
>
> Go well, Norma.
>
> Nick

She hadn't been well for a long while so it wasn't exactly unexpected.
She had been admitted to horse spittle with pneumonia. Martin and Eliza
both tested positive to covid.

It is a very sad loss to an extraordinarily talented family and to the
folk world. The contribution she made is immeasurable. Martin will
obviously be gutted. Apart from his music Norma was his whole life.

Because of covid the family has had no income for a couple of years. A
support find has been set up by Eliza who moved back into the family
home with her two youngsters to care for her parents.

https://ko-fi.com/elizacarthy

Tone

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<0t3d0hdandu1na6e5ed38bigsnafcvoj42@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7473&group=uk.rec.sheds#7473

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 16:41:58 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 16:41 UTC

On Tue, 1 Feb 2022 00:01:22 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>On 31/01/2022 23:06, Nick Odell wrote:
>> It's been announced that folk royalty, Norma Waterson has shut her
>> shed door.
>>
>> Tone, as a long time friend of hers, my condolences to you and of
>> course my thoughts and prayers are with Martin and the family.
>>
>> Time for a retrospective, I suppose: though I'd far rather that she
>> were alive and kicking than that we were looking back on her triumphs.
>>
>> Go well, Norma.
>>
>> Nick
>
>She hadn't been well for a long while so it wasn't exactly unexpected.
>She had been admitted to horse spittle with pneumonia. Martin and Eliza
>both tested positive to covid.
>
>It is a very sad loss to an extraordinarily talented family and to the
>folk world. The contribution she made is immeasurable. Martin will
>obviously be gutted. Apart from his music Norma was his whole life.
>
>Because of covid the family has had no income for a couple of years. A
>support find has been set up by Eliza who moved back into the family
>home with her two youngsters to care for her parents.
>
>https://ko-fi.com/elizacarthy

Last Word, BBC Radio 4's obituary programme gave a nice send-off to
Norma Waterson this afternoon.

The podcast hasn't been uploaded yet, AFAICT, but when it is you will
find it here....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpmv/episodes/downloads

In the meantime there is an extended interview with Martin and Eliza
here....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bngk05

Nick

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<su66p0$8nq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7474&group=uk.rec.sheds#7474

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:35:33 +0000
 by: Tone - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:35 UTC

On 11/02/2022 16:41, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2022 00:01:22 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:
>
>> On 31/01/2022 23:06, Nick Odell wrote:
>>> It's been announced that folk royalty, Norma Waterson has shut her
>>> shed door.
>>>
>>> Tone, as a long time friend of hers, my condolences to you and of
>>> course my thoughts and prayers are with Martin and the family.
>>>
>>> Time for a retrospective, I suppose: though I'd far rather that she
>>> were alive and kicking than that we were looking back on her triumphs.
>>>
>>> Go well, Norma.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> She hadn't been well for a long while so it wasn't exactly unexpected.
>> She had been admitted to horse spittle with pneumonia. Martin and Eliza
>> both tested positive to covid.
>>
>> It is a very sad loss to an extraordinarily talented family and to the
>> folk world. The contribution she made is immeasurable. Martin will
>> obviously be gutted. Apart from his music Norma was his whole life.
>>
>> Because of covid the family has had no income for a couple of years. A
>> support find has been set up by Eliza who moved back into the family
>> home with her two youngsters to care for her parents.
>>
>> https://ko-fi.com/elizacarthy
>>
> Last Word, BBC Radio 4's obituary programme gave a nice send-off to
> Norma Waterson this afternoon.
>
> The podcast hasn't been uploaded yet, AFAICT, but when it is you will
> find it here....
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpmv/episodes/downloads
>
> In the meantime there is an extended interview with Martin and Eliza
> here....
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bngk05
>

> Nick

I recorded a chat with Martin on his 80th at their home. Norma chipped
in too, but she wasn't well then.

The prog is at

https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-and-blues-28th-may-2021/

Tone

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<98md0hlbrkj1shrfr45vocrjdnd503mn8l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7479&group=uk.rec.sheds#7479

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:50:23 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:50 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:35:33 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>On 11/02/2022 16:41, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> She hadn't been well for a long while so it wasn't exactly unexpected.
>>> She had been admitted to horse spittle with pneumonia. Martin and Eliza
>>> both tested positive to covid.
>>>
>>> It is a very sad loss to an extraordinarily talented family and to the
>>> folk world. The contribution she made is immeasurable. Martin will
>>> obviously be gutted. Apart from his music Norma was his whole life.
>>>
>>> Because of covid the family has had no income for a couple of years. A
>>> support find has been set up by Eliza who moved back into the family
>>> home with her two youngsters to care for her parents.
>>>
>>> https://ko-fi.com/elizacarthy
>>>
>> Last Word, BBC Radio 4's obituary programme gave a nice send-off to
>> Norma Waterson this afternoon.
>>
>> The podcast hasn't been uploaded yet, AFAICT, but when it is you will
>> find it here....
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpmv/episodes/downloads
>>
>> In the meantime there is an extended interview with Martin and Eliza
>> here....
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bngk05
>>

>> Nick
>
>I recorded a chat with Martin on his 80th at their home. Norma chipped
>in too, but she wasn't well then.
>
>The prog is at
>
>https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-and-blues-28th-may-2021/

Yes, I remember listening to it at the time. That was a good one,
wasn't it?

I have a little gizmo that will download any BBC Radio programmes that
I want to save. As more and more programmes are coming out as podcasts
I don't seem to need to use it so often. What I'm working up to is
asking whether there's any gizmo for downloading your programmes or do
they have to be listened to on line? In which case are they kept on
mixcloud in perpetuity or is there a use-by date?

Nick

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<su6mso$vi8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7480&group=uk.rec.sheds#7480

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:10:38 +0000
 by: Tone - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:10 UTC

On 11/02/2022 21:50, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:35:33 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>>> Last Word, BBC Radio 4's obituary programme gave a nice send-off to
>>> Norma Waterson this afternoon.
>>>
>>> The podcast hasn't been uploaded yet, AFAICT, but when it is you will
>>> find it here....
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpmv/episodes/downloads
>>>
>>> In the meantime there is an extended interview with Martin and Eliza
>>> here....
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bngk05
>>>

>>> Nick
>>
>> I recorded a chat with Martin on his 80th at their home. Norma chipped
>> in too, but she wasn't well then.
>>
>> The prog is at
>>
>> https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-and-blues-28th-may-2021/
>>
> Yes, I remember listening to it at the time. That was a good one,
> wasn't it?
>
> I have a little gizmo that will download any BBC Radio programmes that
> I want to save. As more and more programmes are coming out as podcasts
> I don't seem to need to use it so often. What I'm working up to is
> asking whether there's any gizmo for downloading your programmes or do
> they have to be listened to on line? In which case are they kept on
> mixcloud in perpetuity or is there a use-by date?
>
> Nick

All the shows since 2014 are at https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/

They can't be downloaded but I could forward the MP3 of the show to you
via wetransfer.com if you like. I would need a live email addy though.

cheers

Tone

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<hkod0hp2bd7q6hp90krslv72ij4ufsqjv3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7482&group=uk.rec.sheds#7482

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:28:29 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:28 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:10:38 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>On 11/02/2022 21:50, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> I recorded a chat with Martin on his 80th at their home. Norma chipped
>>> in too, but she wasn't well then.
>>>
>>> The prog is at
>>>
>>> https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-and-blues-28th-may-2021/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-and-blues-28th-may-2021/
>>>
>> Yes, I remember listening to it at the time. That was a good one,
>> wasn't it?
>>
>> I have a little gizmo that will download any BBC Radio programmes that
>> I want to save. As more and more programmes are coming out as podcasts
>> I don't seem to need to use it so often. What I'm working up to is
>> asking whether there's any gizmo for downloading your programmes or do
>> they have to be listened to on line? In which case are they kept on
>> mixcloud in perpetuity or is there a use-by date?
>>
>> Nick
>
>All the shows since 2014 are at https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/
>
>They can't be downloaded but I could forward the MP3 of the show to you
>via wetransfer.com if you like. I would need a live email addy though.
>
>cheers

I reckon that "since 2014" is as close to "in perpetuity" as it gets
these days. No need to send an mp3 - if I can still reach them on-line
to dip into now and again, that's great!

Thanks, Tone.

Nick

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<su6qh1$pvi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7483&group=uk.rec.sheds#7483

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:12:17 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:12 UTC

On 11/02/2022 21:50, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:35:33 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>>> Last Word, BBC Radio 4's obituary programme gave a nice send-off to
>>> Norma Waterson this afternoon.
>>>
>>> The podcast hasn't been uploaded yet, AFAICT, but when it is you will
>>> find it here....
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpmv/episodes/downloads
>>>
>>> In the meantime there is an extended interview with Martin and Eliza
>>> here....
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bngk05
>>>

>>> Nick
>>
>> I recorded a chat with Martin on his 80th at their home. Norma chipped
>> in too, but she wasn't well then.
>>
>> The prog is at
>>
>> https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-and-blues-28th-may-2021/
>>
> Yes, I remember listening to it at the time. That was a good one,
> wasn't it?
>
> I have a little gizmo that will download any BBC Radio programmes that
> I want to save. As more and more programmes are coming out as podcasts
> I don't seem to need to use it so often. What I'm working up to is
> asking whether there's any gizmo for downloading your programmes or do
> they have to be listened to on line? In which case are they kept on
> mixcloud in perpetuity or is there a use-by date?
>
> Nick

yt-dlp (a child of youtube-dl) will download from mixcloud

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<su6r0p$s3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7484&group=uk.rec.sheds#7484

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:21:02 +0000
 by: Tone - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:21 UTC

On 11/02/2022 22:28, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:10:38 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I remember listening to it at the time. That was a good one,
>>> wasn't it?
>>>
>>> I have a little gizmo that will download any BBC Radio programmes that
>>> I want to save. As more and more programmes are coming out as podcasts
>>> I don't seem to need to use it so often. What I'm working up to is
>>> asking whether there's any gizmo for downloading your programmes or do
>>> they have to be listened to on line? In which case are they kept on
>>> mixcloud in perpetuity or is there a use-by date?
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> All the shows since 2014 are at https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/
>>
>> They can't be downloaded but I could forward the MP3 of the show to you
>> via wetransfer.com if you like. I would need a live email addy though.
>>
>> cheers
>>
> I reckon that "since 2014" is as close to "in perpetuity" as it gets
> these days. No need to send an mp3 - if I can still reach them on-line
> to dip into now and again, that's great!
>
> Thanks, Tone.
>
> Nick

I do love a bit of positive feed-back (not positive feed-back) Nick.

The cheque is in the past.

Tone

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<8j7f0htp91s2udeski5e9pods38clf3nah@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7492&group=uk.rec.sheds#7492

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:48:57 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:48 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:12:17 +0000, Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net>
wrote:

>On 11/02/2022 21:50, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> I recorded a chat with Martin on his 80th at their home. Norma chipped
>>> in too, but she wasn't well then.
>>>
>>> The prog is at
>>>
>>> https://www.mixcloud.com/tonyhaynes52/fab-folk-and-blues-28th-may-2021/
>>>
>> Yes, I remember listening to it at the time. That was a good one,
>> wasn't it?
>>
>> I have a little gizmo that will download any BBC Radio programmes that
>> I want to save. As more and more programmes are coming out as podcasts
>> I don't seem to need to use it so often. What I'm working up to is
>> asking whether there's any gizmo for downloading your programmes or do
>> they have to be listened to on line? In which case are they kept on
>> mixcloud in perpetuity or is there a use-by date?
>>
>> Nick
>>

>yt-dlp (a child of youtube-dl) will download from mixcloud

Oh, that looks excellent Chris, thank you.

I've been reading the GIT-HUB notes this morning.

Nick

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<su899p$7p5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7497&group=uk.rec.sheds#7497

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 12:30:33 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 12:30 UTC

On 12/02/2022 11:48, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:12:17 +0000, Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net>
> wrote:

>>> Yes, I remember listening to it at the time. That was a good one,
>>> wasn't it?
>>>
>>> I have a little gizmo that will download any BBC Radio programmes that
>>> I want to save. As more and more programmes are coming out as podcasts
>>> I don't seem to need to use it so often. What I'm working up to is
>>> asking whether there's any gizmo for downloading your programmes or do
>>> they have to be listened to on line? In which case are they kept on
>>> mixcloud in perpetuity or is there a use-by date?
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>

>> yt-dlp (a child of youtube-dl) will download from mixcloud
>
> Oh, that looks excellent Chris, thank you.
>
> I've been reading the GIT-HUB notes this morning.
>
> Nick

Do you use get_iplayer for BBC? If not, it's worth a look. I use a list
of programmes that I check for updates every day.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Shed Door Sings Shut

<58df0h15gktft4ne2ve9l84sd83j9djseu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7499&group=uk.rec.sheds#7499

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:37:26 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:37 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 12:30:33 +0000, Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net>
wrote:

>On 12/02/2022 11:48, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:12:17 +0000, Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net>
>> wrote:

>>> yt-dlp (a child of youtube-dl) will download from mixcloud
>>
>> Oh, that looks excellent Chris, thank you.
>>
>> I've been reading the GIT-HUB notes this morning.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>Do you use get_iplayer for BBC? If not, it's worth a look. I use a list
>of programmes that I check for updates every day.

Yes, I do. I use it for radio because the BBC and I have an agreement
that, in return for them not billing me £159 per year, I won't watch
their programmes. As it happens I'd willing pay them £159 just to
listen but I know that if I were to pay for a TV licence, hardly any
of that money would go to the radio.

Before the requirement to have a licence for (almost) any type of
viewing, I used to watch the occasional TV programme on iPlayer but I
don't miss not being able to do that any more. Besides, if there were
ever anything on BBC TV that I really, really, really wanted to see it
would almost certainly turn up on Dailymotion. And that's a
civil/copyright issue beyond the scope of TVL.

Nick