From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Intermittently losing sound Xubuntu
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:02:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MO1RfSfqWT2+o6R6WqrWO17yVKQ=
 by: Chris - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:02 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

[correcting x-post]

> Weird one here. My FIL has a relatively new Dell which I set up Xubuntu on
> and the sound only works intermittently. When it works it works everywhere,
> when it doesn't nothing works. Whether it's local files or internet videos
> the pattern is consistent. The only exception is CDs. A physical CD will
> always play.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any pattern in when it will/won't work other than
> the CDs.
>
> It only has one audio device: the motherboard intel chip using the
> "snd_hda_intel" driver. The only output is a set of desktop speakers.
>
> My only hint at a problem is that inxi reports three sound servers:
>
>> inxi -SMA
> system:
> Host: Vostro Kernel: 5.15.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Deskto
> Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
> Machine:
> Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Vostro 3710 V: N/A
> serial: <superuser required>
> Mobo: Dell model: OKID6X v: A00 serial: <superuser required>
> V: 1.1.66 date: 06/22/2022
> Audio:
> Device-1: Intel driver: snd hda intel
> Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-48-generic running: yes
> Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
> Sound Server-3: Pipewire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
>
> My suspicion is that the servers are conflicting and the applications are
> picking the wrong one randomly, but that's just a guess.
>
> Anyone able to help or point me in the right direction to diagnose the
> problem?
>
> Where would I switch off the two servers and keep only one? Which one is
> the preferred one of the three?

Re: Intermittently losing sound Xubuntu

<thckbn$1p0e4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=750&group=uk.comp.os.linux#750

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 14:13:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:13 UTC

On 10/2/2022 12:02 PM, Chris wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [correcting x-post]
>

>> Weird one here. My FIL has a relatively new Dell which I set up Xubuntu on
>> and the sound only works intermittently. When it works it works everywhere,
>> when it doesn't nothing works. Whether it's local files or internet videos
>> the pattern is consistent. The only exception is CDs. A physical CD will
>> always play.
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be any pattern in when it will/won't work other than
>> the CDs.
>>
>> It only has one audio device: the motherboard intel chip using the
>> "snd_hda_intel" driver. The only output is a set of desktop speakers.
>>
>> My only hint at a problem is that inxi reports three sound servers:
>>
>>> inxi -SMA
>> system:
>> Host: Vostro Kernel: 5.15.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Deskto
>> Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
>> Machine:
>> Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Vostro 3710 V: N/A
>> serial: <superuser required>
>> Mobo: Dell model: OKID6X v: A00 serial: <superuser required>
>> V: 1.1.66 date: 06/22/2022
>> Audio:
>> Device-1: Intel driver: snd hda intel
>> Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-48-generic running: yes
>> Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
>> Sound Server-3: Pipewire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
>>
>> My suspicion is that the servers are conflicting and the applications are
>> picking the wrong one randomly, but that's just a guess.
>>
>> Anyone able to help or point me in the right direction to diagnose the
>> problem?
>>
>> Where would I switch off the two servers and keep only one? Which one is
>> the preferred one of the three?

Music playback

CD Analog output 4 pin (stereo) to mobo header (my IDE DVD has this)
DVD SPDIF 2 pin interface (stereo), impedance unknown, to mobo header ?
(Some optical drives have removed direct audio output entirely)

Playback via the data cable.

I would think all of these, still have an opportunity to go through
the OS mixer and be adjusted by DSP equalization.

*******

I have all three sound servers, and no sign of this problem.
My kernel is a bit behind your kernel.

You can edit /etc/default/grub and enable the grub menu to appear
at startup, update grub, reboot, select "Advanced" option below
the "regular" boot option for that OS, then select a slightly older kernel.
This will work as long as the software updater has not trashed
all the old kernels.

With the older kernel in play, then check whether the problem is
resolved or not.

My grub menu is already enabled, as the disk Ubuntu is on is a multiboot
(has Mint on it).

Paul

Re: Intermittently losing sound Xubuntu

<thcqe3$1qek6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=751&group=uk.comp.os.linux#751

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 19:56:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BwNUKbZeOoHYJkfMtcrZ98v5KSY=
 by: Chris - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 19:56 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/2/2022 12:02 PM, Chris wrote:
>> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [correcting x-post]
>>

>>> Weird one here. My FIL has a relatively new Dell which I set up Xubuntu on
>>> and the sound only works intermittently. When it works it works everywhere,
>>> when it doesn't nothing works. Whether it's local files or internet videos
>>> the pattern is consistent. The only exception is CDs. A physical CD will
>>> always play.
>>>
>>> There doesn't seem to be any pattern in when it will/won't work other than
>>> the CDs.
>>>
>>> It only has one audio device: the motherboard intel chip using the
>>> "snd_hda_intel" driver. The only output is a set of desktop speakers.
>>>
>>> My only hint at a problem is that inxi reports three sound servers:

>>> system:
>>> Host: Vostro Kernel: 5.15.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Deskto
>>> Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
>>> Machine:
>>> Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Vostro 3710 V: N/A
>>> serial: <superuser required>
>>> Mobo: Dell model: OKID6X v: A00 serial: <superuser required>
>>> V: 1.1.66 date: 06/22/2022
>>> Audio:
>>> Device-1: Intel driver: snd hda intel
>>> Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-48-generic running: yes
>>> Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
>>> Sound Server-3: Pipewire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
>>>
>>> My suspicion is that the servers are conflicting and the applications are
>>> picking the wrong one randomly, but that's just a guess.
>>>
>>> Anyone able to help or point me in the right direction to diagnose the
>>> problem?
>>>
>>> Where would I switch off the two servers and keep only one? Which one is
>>> the preferred one of the three?
>>>

> Music playback
>
> CD Analog output 4 pin (stereo) to mobo header (my IDE DVD has this)
> DVD SPDIF 2 pin interface (stereo), impedance unknown, to mobo header ?
> (Some optical drives have removed direct audio output entirely)
>
> Playback via the data cable.

I'd be surprised. Even 15 years ago manufacturers didn't include a data
cable. CDs are almost always played through software nowadays.

> I would think all of these, still have an opportunity to go through
> the OS mixer and be adjusted by DSP equalization.

That's another weird thing, I forgot to mention, the volume UI shows the
sound levels responding to the music or video playing. So the sound is
working, just not being output to the speakers.

> *******
>
> I have all three sound servers, and no sign of this problem.
> My kernel is a bit behind your kernel.
>
> You can edit /etc/default/grub and enable the grub menu to appear
> at startup, update grub, reboot, select "Advanced" option below
> the "regular" boot option for that OS, then select a slightly older kernel.
> This will work as long as the software updater has not trashed
> all the old kernels.
>
> With the older kernel in play, then check whether the problem is
> resolved or not.
>
> My grub menu is already enabled, as the disk Ubuntu is on is a multiboot
> (has Mint on it).

Thanks for the response, Paul. I'm away now from my FILs so I'll try next
time.