"I DO want your money, because god wants your money!" -- The Reverend Jimmy, from _Repo_Man_

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Domain name registration

SubjectAuthor
* Domain name registrationleen...@yahoo.co.uk
+* Re: Domain name registrationRobert
|+- Re: Domain name registrationTheo
|+- Re: Domain name registrationRobert
|`* Re: Domain name registrationBrian Gaff
| `- Re: Domain name registrationTheo
+- Re: Domain name registrationThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Domain name registrationRobert
+* Re: Domain name registrationAndy Burns
|`- Re: Domain name registrationThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Domain name registrationjkn
|`* Re: Domain name registrationBob Eager
| `* Re: Domain name registrationjkn
|  `- Re: Domain name registrationBob Eager
`* Re: Domain name registrationleen...@yahoo.co.uk
 +- Re: Domain name registrationThe Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: Domain name registrationDave W
  `- Re: Domain name registrationBob Eager

1
Domain name registration

<28af6d09-5b04-4f18-aa57-ff4d7b84f036n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75031&group=uk.d-i-y#75031

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 09:32:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Domain name registration
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:32 UTC

Hi All,

10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier to supplier?

thanks in advance

Lee.

Re: Domain name registration

<jrqk83FcfhtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75036&group=uk.d-i-y#75036

From: rob...@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Domain name registration
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:21:07 +0100
 by: Robert - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 17:21 UTC

On 25/10/2022 17:32, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier to supplier?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Lee.
The price for domain registration has increased significantly over the
last few years , mostly I suspect from increased charges by the Domain
Registry Nominet (for .uk domains).
You can shop around and see what other people beside GoDaddy charge
transfer to a cheaper one.

Re: Domain name registration

<tj97mo$242na$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75039&group=uk.d-i-y#75039

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:51:20 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 17:51 UTC

On 25/10/2022 17:32, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier to supplier?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Lee.
Dunno. Try 123REG

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Re: Domain name registration

<jrqngcFcfhtU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75042&group=uk.d-i-y#75042

From: rob...@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 19:16:44 +0100
 by: Robert - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:16 UTC

On 25/10/2022 17:32, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier to supplier?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Lee.
The price for domain registration has increased significantly over the
last few years , mostly I suspect from increased charges by the Domain
Registry Nominet (for .uk domains).
You can shop around and see what other people beside GoDaddy charge
transfer to a cheaper one.

Re: Domain name registration

<YBw*52G1y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75044&group=uk.d-i-y#75044

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Oct 2022 20:20:06 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 19:20 UTC

Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 25/10/2022 17:32, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around
> > £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to
> > charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was
> > wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems
> > a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything
> > etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume
> > it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier to
> > supplier?
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > Lee.
> The price for domain registration has increased significantly over the
> last few years , mostly I suspect from increased charges by the Domain
> Registry Nominet (for .uk domains).

ICANN have had a big monopolistic moneygrab too - affects .com and many
other domains.

> You can shop around and see what other people beside GoDaddy charge
> transfer to a cheaper one.

You'll likely find not a huge difference between volume registrars, although
one-time offers can be useful.

Theo

Re: Domain name registration

<jrqrrbFdnfgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75045&group=uk.d-i-y#75045

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:30:48 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 19:30 UTC

Lee Nowell wrote:

> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around £40 for
> 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me $44 for
> 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering if anyone
> knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it is not
> like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to host
> the email and default web page)? I assume it is possible to move the domain
> registration from supplier to supplier?

That's petty expensive for domain registration alone (assuming a .co.uk)

I used to use 123-reg, but have transferred several domains to amazon, use
route53 to register domain $9+vat per year and DNS hosting ¢40 per million
queries, then it's easy to use S3 for static site hosting if you need that too,
if your site is small it could fit in the free tier (5GB storage, 20,000 GETs
and 100GB transfer a month, it's a pittance if you need higher)

Re: Domain name registration

<tj9f36$2614g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75047&group=uk.d-i-y#75047

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:57:26 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 19:57 UTC

On 25/10/2022 20:30, Andy Burns wrote:

> Lee Nowell wrote:
>
>> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around
>> £40 for
>> 10 years.  It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me
>> $44 for
>> 2 years.  I only really use it for family email so was wondering if
>> anyone
>> knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it
>> is not
>> like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to
>> host
>> the email and default web page)?  I assume it is possible to move the
>> domain
>> registration from supplier to supplier?
>
> That's petty expensive for domain registration alone (assuming a .co.uk)
>
> I used to use 123-reg, but have transferred several domains to amazon,
> use route53 to register domain $9+vat per year and DNS hosting ¢40 per
> million queries, then it's easy to use S3 for static site hosting if you
> need that too,
> if your site is small it could fit in the free tier (5GB storage, 20,000
> GETs and 100GB transfer a month, it's a pittance if you need higher)

These are 123 prices
domain annual 1st year
co.uk* £11.99 79p
info £17.99 79p
email £21.99 79p
ltd £21.99 79p
online £29.99 79p
store £49.99 79p
uk* £11.99 79p
wales £14.99 99p
agency £21.99 £2.99
me £17.99 £5.99
photography
£21.99 £5.99
net £16.99 £7.99
club £12.99 £7.99
com** £16.99 £7.99
co £29.99 £9.99
org £16.99 £9.99

Hope that helps
--
“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy

Re: Domain name registration

<2f290e42-c84c-47bf-9acb-f83b1e8aa70an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75048&group=uk.d-i-y#75048

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 13:22:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:22 UTC

On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 5:32:16 PM UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier to supplier?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Lee.

Mythic Beasts pricing here: https://www.mythic-beasts.com/domains

I have moved domain registrars around quite a bit over the years. It's not a difficult job, although some places try to make it look harder than it is..

Re: Domain name registration

<jrr0qrFai5oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75050&group=uk.d-i-y#75050

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Oct 2022 20:55:55 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:55 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 13:22:28 -0700, jkn wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 5:32:16 PM UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk
> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around
>> £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to
>> charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was
>> wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it
>> seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing
>> anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)?
>> I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier
>> to supplier?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Lee.
>
> Mythic Beasts pricing here: https://www.mythic-beasts.com/domains
>
> I have moved domain registrars around quite a bit over the years. It's
> not a difficult job, although some places try to make it look harder
> than it is.

The worst one I had was Zetnet. They charged me eother £75 or £100 to
release the tag on a domain. I was not happy.

Re: Domain name registration

<jrsbe9Fki47U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75066&group=uk.d-i-y#75066

From: rob...@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 10:03:05 +0100
 by: Robert - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:03 UTC

On 25/10/2022 18:21, Robert wrote:
> On 25/10/2022 17:32, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around
>> £40 for 10 years.  It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to
>> charge me $44 for 2 years.  I only really use it for family email so
>> was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it
>> seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing
>> anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web
>> page)?  I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from
>> supplier to supplier?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Lee.
> The price for domain registration has increased significantly over the
> last few years , mostly I suspect from increased charges by the Domain
> Registry Nominet (for .uk domains).
> You can shop around and see what other people beside GoDaddy charge
> transfer to a cheaper one.
I use Tsohosts for domain registration AND hosting.
The registration is about £9 per year (.co.uk) no discount for longer
periods but an introductory option for first year.

Re: Domain name registration

<tjatie$2efu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75069&group=uk.d-i-y#75069

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 10:10:35 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:10 UTC

I see so many new suffixes. ie .compare .info to name but two, with all
these extra choices, it makes me wonder how come they cost more.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Robert" <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 25/10/2022 17:32, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around �40
>> for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me
>> $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering
>> if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to
>> me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I
>> use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume it is
>> possible to move the domain registration from supplier to supplier?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Lee.
> The price for domain registration has increased significantly over the
> last few years , mostly I suspect from increased charges by the Domain
> Registry Nominet (for .uk domains).
> You can shop around and see what other people beside GoDaddy charge
> transfer to a cheaper one.

Re: Domain name registration

<YBw*-pK1y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75079&group=uk.d-i-y#75079

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 26 Oct 2022 11:46:22 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 10:46 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see so many new suffixes. ie .compare .info to name but two, with all
> these extra choices, it makes me wonder how come they cost more.

Because domains are a monopoly resource: registries are charging what they
think they can get away with, and customers can't move to a different
registry without changing their domain. The new names are primarily to
'expand the market' and are pushed by the same people who own .com, etc -
not to offer competition. 'Expanding the market' means company.com now has
to buy company.xyz, company.app and whatever to protect their brand from
squatters - ie it's just a shakedown.

(registries = the owners of .com, .uk, etc. registrars = the people you
register your domain example.com with. Registrar fees are a tiny overhead
on top of the registry fees).

Theo

Re: Domain name registration

<978c39da-c5c4-45f7-8a9f-3e7bcf0be426n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75083&group=uk.d-i-y#75083

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 04:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:02 UTC

On Tuesday, 25 October 2022 at 17:32:16 UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier to supplier?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Lee.

Thanks very much all for the info. It does seem like money for old rope. I can see a domain name being worth something (the whole supply and demand thing) so buying one at the start and initial registration fee makes sense. Unless you want hosting;/ email services etc. I struggle to see what you are paying for to keep your domain registered as once it is done surely there is nothing else needed. The amounts they are charging seem ridiculous to me and why the ongoing fee varies by type of domain makes no sense either. I have a .co.uk and a .me one and the .me one seems a lot more expensive.

Re: Domain name registration

<tjb71o$2f475$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75089&group=uk.d-i-y#75089

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 12:52:23 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:52 UTC

On 26/10/2022 12:02, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I struggle to see what you are paying for to keep your domain
> registered as once it is done surely there is nothing else needed.
> The amounts they are charging seem ridiculous to me and why the
> ongoing fee varies by type of domain makes no sense either. I have a
> .co.uk and a .me one and the .me one seems a lot more

Indeed there is in general sod all to a registration and even less if it
is set to point to your own DNS server

The registration agencies are there to sort out disputes - like people
who register things like Amazan.com and micros0ft.com

Actual registrations are handled by a machine level interface. I,e if I
want to register "crutchrot.co.uk" I go to e.g. 123 reg, who will take
my request, check it doesn't already exist, charge me money, and send a
message to NOMINET to create that domain and point it to 123s DNS servers.

The vast majority of domains wont get much traffic, so servers can be
very very light indeed.

NOMINET scrape up half the dosh and 123 the rest. Neither should have to
do anything involving a human being.

OTOH owning a mail domain that you can take with you when you dump BT
internet, is very very valuable.

Many people use gmail or yahoo, but they are not exactly private.

Having your own domain is way better

Re: Domain name registration

<cc1jlhdubj7c6efm9s2705534bjsmhskqr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75158&group=uk.d-i-y#75158

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 20:11:15 +0100
 by: Dave W - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 19:11 UTC

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 04:02:23 -0700 (PDT), "leen...@yahoo.co.uk"
<leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>On Tuesday, 25 October 2022 at 17:32:16 UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)? I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier to supplier?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Lee.
>
>Thanks very much all for the info. It does seem like money for old rope. I can see a domain name being worth something (the whole supply and demand thing) so buying one at the start and initial registration fee makes sense. Unless you want hosting;/ email services etc. I struggle to see what you are paying for to keep your domain registered as once it is done surely there is nothing else needed. The amounts they are charging seem ridiculous to me and why the ongoing fee varies by type of domain makes no sense either. I have a .co.uk and a .me one and the .me one seems a lot more expensive.
To register the name midsurreyramblers.co.uk: UK-cheapest last payment
was £10.79 on 01/10/2021. I've been kicked off the committee and don't
know the current cost.
--
Dave W

Re: Domain name registration

<jrtlmoF4709U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75171&group=uk.d-i-y#75171

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 26 Oct 2022 21:04:24 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 21:04 UTC

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 20:11:15 +0100, Dave W wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 04:02:23 -0700 (PDT), "leen...@yahoo.co.uk"
> <leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, 25 October 2022 at 17:32:16 UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk
>>wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around
>>> £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to
>>> charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so
>>> was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it
>>> seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing
>>> anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)?
>>> I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier
>>> to supplier?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Lee.
>>
>>Thanks very much all for the info. It does seem like money for old
>>rope. I can see a domain name being worth something (the whole supply
>>and demand thing) so buying one at the start and initial registration
>>fee makes sense. Unless you want hosting;/ email services etc. I
>>struggle to see what you are paying for to keep your domain registered
>>as once it is done surely there is nothing else needed. The amounts
>>they are charging seem ridiculous to me and why the ongoing fee varies
>>by type of domain makes no sense either. I have a .co.uk and a .me one
>>and the .me one seems a lot more expensive.
>
> To register the name midsurreyramblers.co.uk: UK-cheapest last payment
> was £10.79 on 01/10/2021. I've been kicked off the committee and don't
> know the current cost.

I pay (directly to my ISP) a pound a month plus VAT. Cancel when I like.
Another pound gets me a GB of web space, although I don't do that much.

Re: Domain name registration

<e2c5fecb-f1a1-40a1-aa4d-bef751f53eb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75216&group=uk.d-i-y#75216

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 01:50:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 08:50 UTC

On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 9:55:59 PM UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 13:22:28 -0700, jkn wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 5:32:16 PM UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk
> > wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> 10 years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy and it cost me around
> >> £40 for 10 years. It is now nearing expiry and they are looking to
> >> charge me $44 for 2 years. I only really use it for family email so was
> >> wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper option (for what they do it
> >> seems a lot to me - it is not like they are even hosting / storing
> >> anything etc. as I use Google to host the email and default web page)?
> >> I assume it is possible to move the domain registration from supplier
> >> to supplier?
> >>
> >> thanks in advance
> >>
> >> Lee.
> >
> > Mythic Beasts pricing here: https://www.mythic-beasts.com/domains
> >
> > I have moved domain registrars around quite a bit over the years. It's
> > not a difficult job, although some places try to make it look harder
> > than it is.
> The worst one I had was Zetnet. They charged me eother £75 or £100 to
> release the tag on a domain. I was not happy.

Was this recently? I have a feeling there was legislation, quite some time ago,
to 'level the field' re charges on this sort of thing. Prior to that there were
certainly companies involved in all sorts of dis-information and chicanery
to lock you in and prevent an (ahem) free market

J^n

Re: Domain name registration

<jrv2g7F4709U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75227&group=uk.d-i-y#75227

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Oct 2022 09:48:55 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 09:48 UTC

On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 01:50:14 -0700, jkn wrote:

>> The worst one I had was Zetnet. They charged me eother £75 or £100 to
>> release the tag on a domain. I was not happy.
>>

> Was this recently? I have a feeling there was legislation, quite some
> time ago,
> to 'level the field' re charges on this sort of thing. Prior to that
> there were certainly companies involved in all sorts of dis-information
> and chicanery to lock you in and prevent an (ahem) free market

It was a long time ago. It was worth even more then!