The devil finds work for idle glands.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Getting on with the job

SubjectAuthor
* Getting on with the jobSam Plusnet
+* Getting on with the jobSid Nuncius
|+* Getting on with the jobJohn Ashby
||`* Getting on with the jobAxlegrease
|| +- Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
|| `- Getting on with the jobSid Nuncius
|+* Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
||`- Getting on with the jobChris
|+* Getting on with the jobChris
||`* Getting on with the jobkrw
|| +* Getting on with the jobsteve hague
|| |`* Getting on with the jobPenny
|| | `* Getting on with the jobJohn Ashby
|| |  `- Getting on with the jobsteve hague
|| `- Getting on with the jobChris
|`* Getting on with the jobsteve hague
| +* Getting on with the jobKate B
| |+- Getting on with the jobClive Arthur
| |`- Getting on with the jobsteve hague
| `* Getting on with the jobJim Easterbrook
|  `- Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
+* Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
|+- Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
|`- Getting on with the jobSam Plusnet
+* Getting on with the jobNick Odell
|+- Getting on with the jobClive Arthur
|`* Getting on with the jobJ. P. Gilliver (John)
| `- Getting on with the jobVicky
`* Getting on with the jobClive Arthur
 `- Getting on with the jobSid Nuncius

Pages:12
Re: Getting on with the job

<jbq4b7Fiqq3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7493&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7493

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Getting on with the job
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:29:29 +0100
 by: Kate B - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:29 UTC

On 13/04/2022 12:02, steve hague wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 07:05, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this
>>> trifling pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to
>>> interfere with "Getting on with The Job".
>>>
>>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at
>>> all surprised.
>>
>> I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it.  It's just so
>> profoundly depressing.  Is there absolutely no sense of honour or
>> shame left anywhere in politics now?  If breaking the law and then
>> lying about it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any
>> more, then it seems to me that we're simply screwed.  Those in
>> positions of power and privilege can just do as they like without
>> consequence, which is not, to put it mildly, as it should be in a
>> democratic country with the rule of law.
>>
>> I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
>> interesting time.  Or maybe not; people may just have reached the
>> point of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just
>> a waste of time and energy: no-one cares.
>>
>> Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this.  I hope
>> at least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's
>> Wallpaper.[1]
>>

>> [1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.
>>
> The most depressing part as far as I'm concerned is that this sort of
> behaviour doesn't seem to bother many people. It's just Boris, but at
> least he got Brexit done. Come the next general election, the turkeys
> will still be voting for Christmas dinner. The other depressing thing
> for me is looking at the alternatives if Boris should by some terrible
> accident fall on his sword. Prime Minister Michael Gove? They all seem
> to be rich people from highly priveleged backgrounds. Should we elect
> Labour, led by Sir Kier Starmer? Meet the new boss, same as the old
> boss.Even his name doesn't ring true. It makes me nostalgic for PMQs,
> when it was Tony Blair vs William Hague, both erudite and intelligent
> men who knew how to construct an argument.
> Steve

Not that I have or would ever vote for any of them, but I believe
Michael Gove hasn't started with quite the same privileges as many of
his colleagues - he was put into care as soon as he was born, and
adopted by a fish factory manager and a teacher. He did get to Oxford
under his own steam but as far as I know had nothing to do with the
Bullinger bullies. He's a maniac but not a corrupt one, I think.

As for Keir, perhaps his name would work for you if you (and many
others) didn't spell it Kier? I agree, he's a bit of a disappointment,
but Magic Grandpa he ain't. I think he's intelligent, decent and a good
lawyer, none of which attributes are the slightest help these days.

--
Kate B

Re: Getting on with the job

<t38q1j$mg8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7495&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7495

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 10:37:54 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:37 UTC

On 14/04/2022 09:29, Kate B wrote:

<snip>

> As for Keir, perhaps his name would work for you if you (and many
> others) didn't spell it Kier? I agree, he's a bit of a disappointment,
> but Magic Grandpa he ain't. I think he's intelligent, decent and a good
> lawyer, none of which attributes are the slightest help these days.

I'd like to see Starmer and Raynor somehow merged.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Getting on with the job

<t3ebf6$nh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7529&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7529

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:05:57 +0100
 by: steve hague - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:05 UTC

On 14/04/2022 09:29, Kate B wrote:
> As for Keir, perhaps his name would work for you if you (and many
> others) didn't spell it Kier? I agree, he's a bit of a disappointment,
> but Magic Grandpa he ain't. I think he's intelligent, decent and a good
> lawyer, none of which attributes are the slightest help these days.

If he wants his name spelled correctly, maybe he should change it to
Kieth. We all know how to spell that. I would certainly prefer him to
BoJo, even if he is a knight of the realm.

Re: Getting on with the job

<jbvqqhFjachU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7530&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7530

From: new...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 16 Apr 2022 12:23:45 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:23 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:02:31 +0100, steve hague wrote:

> They all seem
> to be rich people from highly priveleged backgrounds. Should we elect
> Labour, led by Sir Kier Starmer? Meet the new boss, same as the old
> boss.

I may have misunderstood, but you seem to be saying that Starmer is from
a privileged background. His mother was a nurse and his father a
toolmaker, he went to a state school (which became independent later)
then on to Leeds university.

Funnily enough, the Corbynistas never mention that he went to prep school
and then to a fee paying grammar school.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Getting on with the job

<t3edo5$lji$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7531&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7531

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:44:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Y40nZWlz7HL9rSaWafqtfe+VnLI=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:44 UTC

Jim Easterbrook <news@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:02:31 +0100, steve hague wrote:
>
>> They all seem
>> to be rich people from highly priveleged backgrounds. Should we elect
>> Labour, led by Sir Kier Starmer? Meet the new boss, same as the old
>> boss.
>
> I may have misunderstood, but you seem to be saying that Starmer is from
> a privileged background. His mother was a nurse and his father a
> toolmaker, he went to a state school (which became independent later)
> then on to Leeds university.
>
> Funnily enough, the Corbynistas never mention that he went to prep school
> and then to a fee paying grammar school.

But then, facts are there to be interpreted as one might wish, according to
one’s own tastes.;-)))

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan