grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

SubjectAuthor
* New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place –swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in placeMike Collins
|+- Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in placeJNugent
|`* Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in placeswldx...@gmail.com
| +* Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in placeSpike
| |`- Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in placeJNugent
| `- Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in placeswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in placeJNugent

1
New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

<0ea7d930-8b5a-4ecf-80f1-061b49d64a50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7534&group=uk.rec.cycling#7534

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 02:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New,_tougher_phone_driver_laws_are_now_in_place_–_
but_are_they_working?
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:52 UTC

Last Friday saw the long-awaited introduction of tougher laws on drivers using their mobile phone behind the wheel.

It is now illegal for motorists to use a phone under virtually any circumstance while driving, including taking photos or videos, scrolling through their Spotify playlist, playing games, or even checking the time.

The new law closes a loophole often exploited by phone-using drivers. Before Friday, it was only illegal if a motorist was using their phone behind the wheel for “interactive communication” (in other words, texting or calling), with the rise of smartphones – and the myriad of non-communication-based distractions that they feature – quickly rendering that piece of 2003 legislation outdated.

The out-dated nature of the new law was recently highlighted by the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision to drop their case against Everton manager Frank Lampard, after he was filmed by Mike van Erp (better known as CyclingMikey) apparently using a mobile phone and holding a coffee cup behind the week – presumably because the ex-Chelsea footballer’s phone use wasn’t for communication purposes.

Under the new law, phone use will still be permitted in emergency situations, or as a contactless payment device (2022, eh?) if the car is stationary. Hands-free mobile use is still permitted, as well as using the device for satellite navigation purposes, provided it is kept in a cradle.

Anyone caught using their handheld device while driving could face a fine of up to £1,000 as well as six points on their licence or a full driving ban.

The government’s THINK! team has also launched an £800,000 awareness campaign, explaining the new law to motorists and the potential penalties for ignoring it.

So, how are motorists coping with the new laws?

Jim seemed cautiously optimistic that the message was getting through:

But he was swiftly brought back down to earth by the expert himself, CyclingMikey:

And a few others:

Speaking of using your phone behind the wheel, active travel campaigner Adam Bronkhorst was sent these snaps of a gang of bike riding youths up to no good, which may or may not have been taken from the driver’s side of the car…

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-28-march-2022-291475#live-blog-item-32857

Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

<596d8311-00e9-4571-94cf-19ea0ee473e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7536&group=uk.rec.cycling#7536

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 03:02:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_New,_tougher_phone_driver_laws_are_now_in_place_
–_but_are_they_working?
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:02 UTC

On Tuesday, 29 March 2022 at 10:52:53 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Last Friday saw the long-awaited introduction of tougher laws on drivers using their mobile phone behind the wheel.
>
> It is now illegal for motorists to use a phone under virtually any circumstance while driving, including taking photos or videos, scrolling through their Spotify playlist, playing games, or even checking the time.
>
> The new law closes a loophole often exploited by phone-using drivers. Before Friday, it was only illegal if a motorist was using their phone behind the wheel for “interactive communication” (in other words, texting or calling), with the rise of smartphones – and the myriad of non-communication-based distractions that they feature – quickly rendering that piece of 2003 legislation outdated.
>
> The out-dated nature of the new law was recently highlighted by the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision to drop their case against Everton manager Frank Lampard, after he was filmed by Mike van Erp (better known as CyclingMikey) apparently using a mobile phone and holding a coffee cup behind the week – presumably because the ex-Chelsea footballer’s phone use wasn’t for communication purposes.
>
> Under the new law, phone use will still be permitted in emergency situations, or as a contactless payment device (2022, eh?) if the car is stationary. Hands-free mobile use is still permitted, as well as using the device for satellite navigation purposes, provided it is kept in a cradle.
>
> Anyone caught using their handheld device while driving could face a fine of up to £1,000 as well as six points on their licence or a full driving ban.
>
> The government’s THINK! team has also launched an £800,000 awareness campaign, explaining the new law to motorists and the potential penalties for ignoring it.
>
> So, how are motorists coping with the new laws?
>
> Jim seemed cautiously optimistic that the message was getting through:
>
> But he was swiftly brought back down to earth by the expert himself, CyclingMikey:
>
> And a few others:
>
> Speaking of using your phone behind the wheel, active travel campaigner Adam Bronkhorst was sent these snaps of a gang of bike riding youths up to no good, which may or may not have been taken from the driver’s side of the car…
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-28-march-2022-291475#live-blog-item-32857

We have been told many, many times on this group that motorists never break the law. Apart from speeding, red light jumping, driving on footways, drink driving, passing too close to cyclists etc, but they don't count because motorists pay Rude Tax.

Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

<jag86kFgmvnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7545&group=uk.rec.cycling#7545

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
–_but_are_they_working?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:17:42 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:17 UTC

On 29/03/2022 10:52 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Last Friday saw the long-awaited introduction of tougher laws on drivers using their mobile phone behind the wheel.
>
> It is now illegal for motorists to use a phone under virtually any circumstance while driving, including taking photos or videos, scrolling through their Spotify playlist, playing games, or even checking the time.
>
> The new law closes a loophole often exploited by phone-using drivers. Before Friday, it was only illegal if a motorist was using their phone behind the wheel for “interactive communication” (in other words, texting or calling), with the rise of smartphones – and the myriad of non-communication-based distractions that they feature – quickly rendering that piece of 2003 legislation outdated.
>
> The out-dated nature of the new law was recently highlighted by the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision to drop their case against Everton manager Frank Lampard, after he was filmed by Mike van Erp (better known as CyclingMikey) apparently using a mobile phone and holding a coffee cup behind the week – presumably because the ex-Chelsea footballer’s phone use wasn’t for communication purposes.
>
> Under the new law, phone use will still be permitted in emergency situations, or as a contactless payment device (2022, eh?) if the car is stationary. Hands-free mobile use is still permitted, as well as using the device for satellite navigation purposes, provided it is kept in a cradle.
>
> Anyone caught using their handheld device while driving could face a fine of up to £1,000 as well as six points on their licence or a full driving ban.
>
> The government’s THINK! team has also launched an £800,000 awareness campaign, explaining the new law to motorists and the potential penalties for ignoring it.
>
> So, how are motorists coping with the new laws?
>
> Jim seemed cautiously optimistic that the message was getting through:
>
> But he was swiftly brought back down to earth by the expert himself, CyclingMikey:
>
> And a few others:
>
> Speaking of using your phone behind the wheel, active travel campaigner Adam Bronkhorst was sent these snaps of a gang of bike riding youths up to no good, which may or may not have been taken from the driver’s side of the car…

What if it was?

> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-28-march-2022-291475#live-blog-item-32857

Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

<jag87uFgmvnU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7546&group=uk.rec.cycling#7546

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
–_but_are_they_working?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:18:23 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:18 UTC

On 29/03/2022 11:02 am, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 March 2022 at 10:52:53 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Last Friday saw the long-awaited introduction of tougher laws on drivers using their mobile phone behind the wheel.
>>
>> It is now illegal for motorists to use a phone under virtually any circumstance while driving, including taking photos or videos, scrolling through their Spotify playlist, playing games, or even checking the time.
>>
>> The new law closes a loophole often exploited by phone-using drivers. Before Friday, it was only illegal if a motorist was using their phone behind the wheel for “interactive communication” (in other words, texting or calling), with the rise of smartphones – and the myriad of non-communication-based distractions that they feature – quickly rendering that piece of 2003 legislation outdated.
>>
>> The out-dated nature of the new law was recently highlighted by the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision to drop their case against Everton manager Frank Lampard, after he was filmed by Mike van Erp (better known as CyclingMikey) apparently using a mobile phone and holding a coffee cup behind the week – presumably because the ex-Chelsea footballer’s phone use wasn’t for communication purposes.
>>
>> Under the new law, phone use will still be permitted in emergency situations, or as a contactless payment device (2022, eh?) if the car is stationary. Hands-free mobile use is still permitted, as well as using the device for satellite navigation purposes, provided it is kept in a cradle.
>>
>> Anyone caught using their handheld device while driving could face a fine of up to £1,000 as well as six points on their licence or a full driving ban.
>>
>> The government’s THINK! team has also launched an £800,000 awareness campaign, explaining the new law to motorists and the potential penalties for ignoring it.
>>
>> So, how are motorists coping with the new laws?
>>
>> Jim seemed cautiously optimistic that the message was getting through:
>>
>> But he was swiftly brought back down to earth by the expert himself, CyclingMikey:
>>
>> And a few others:
>>
>> Speaking of using your phone behind the wheel, active travel campaigner Adam Bronkhorst was sent these snaps of a gang of bike riding youths up to no good, which may or may not have been taken from the driver’s side of the car…
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-28-march-2022-291475#live-blog-item-32857
>
> We have been told many, many times on this group that motorists never break the law. Apart from speeding, red light jumping, driving on footways, drink driving, passing too close to cyclists etc, but they don't count because motorists pay Rude Tax.

When was it made an offence for a passenger in a car to use a mobile
phone or camera?

Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

<82d91988-666d-4b0c-98e4-0b0e61b4ec13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7550&group=uk.rec.cycling#7550

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 05:49:24 -0700 (PDT)
–_but_are_they_working?
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:49 UTC

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 11:02:05 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> We have been told many, many times on this group that motorists never break the law. Apart from speeding, red light jumping, driving on footways, drink driving, passing too close to cyclists etc, but they don't count because motorists pay Rude Tax.

Don't forget these!

Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night, no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban, without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra etc - ran out of space

Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

<t1vad1$196p$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7559&group=uk.rec.cycling#7559

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
–_but_are_they_working?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:59:31 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:59 UTC

On 29/03/2022 12:49, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 11:02:05 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>> We have been told many, many times on this group that motorists never break the law. Apart from speeding, red light jumping, driving on footways, drink driving, passing too close to cyclists etc, but they don't count because motorists pay Rude Tax.
> Don't forget these!
> Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night, no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban, without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra etc - ran out of space
Much of which applies to cyclists.
--
Spike

Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

<jagoujFjukiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7560&group=uk.rec.cycling#7560

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
–_but_are_they_working?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:03:31 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:03 UTC

On 29/03/2022 04:59 pm, Spike wrote:
> On 29/03/2022 12:49, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 11:02:05 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
>>> We have been told many, many times on this group that motorists never break the law. Apart from speeding, red light jumping, driving on footways, drink driving, passing too close to cyclists etc, but they don't count because motorists pay Rude Tax.
>
>> Don't forget these!
>
>> Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night, no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban, without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra etc - ran out of space
>
> Much of which applies to cyclists.
Faulty (ie, non-existent) brakes and lights in particular,

Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?

<be2ede46-2dd2-4750-9f45-9dd644f9dcc6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7564&group=uk.rec.cycling#7564

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
–_but_are_they_working?
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:08 UTC

New Highway Code rules mean you could face fines for using your mobile phone in a moving car, even if you’re not the one behind the wheel.

Drivers across the UK were warned they face fines of up to £200 amid a change to Highway Code rules introduced earlier this year.

As of January 29, drivers can be hit with a £200 fine and six points on their driving licence if they use their mobile phones while driving.

Anybody caught scrolling through their phone when in control of a vehicle face being hit with the three-figure fine.

Last Friday, it became illegal to even touch your phone whilst driving – including when stationary in traffic. Those caught breaking this new rule could face up to a £200 fine and six penalty points.

New Highway Code rule could see car passengers hit with £1,000 fine

The Mirror also reports that amid new rules brought into force on Friday, a person is supervising a driver who is learning could be hit with £1,000 fine - as well as having six points added to their licence.
Highway Code: One exception to using mobile phone in car

Just one exception has been listed as an excuse to be using your phone while driving as part of the rule change.

The only exception to the rule is using your phone to pay for something such as toll roads or drive-throughs when the car is stationary.

https://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/news/national/uk-today/20028678.highway-code-new-rule-see-car-passengers-hit-1-000-fine/

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: New, tougher phone driver laws are now in place – but are they working?