Things are more like they used to be than they are now.

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Re: rsnapshot problem

SubjectAuthor
* rsnapshot problemMartin Gregorie
+* Re: rsnapshot problemVincent Coen
|`* Re: rsnapshot problemTheo
| `* Re: rsnapshot problemMartin Gregorie
|  +* Re: rsnapshot problemTheo
|  |`* Re: rsnapshot problemMartin Gregorie
|  | `* Re: rsnapshot problemAlan J. Wylie
|  |  `* Re: rsnapshot problemMartin Gregorie
|  |   `- [SOLVED] Re: rsnapshot problemAlan J. Wylie
|  `* Re: rsnapshot problemGordon
|   `- Re: rsnapshot problemMartin Gregorie
`* Re: rsnapshot problemAndy Burns
 `- Re: rsnapshot problemMartin Gregorie

1
rsnapshot problem

<thhohq$2l39p$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=752&group=uk.comp.os.linux#752

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: rsnapshot problem
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:55:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:55 UTC

Following an upgrade from Fedora 35 to 36 it appears that rsnapshot, which
I have configured to take a nightly backup (more for fat finger protection
or sudden hard drive failure than for fire/theft/etc: for the latter I
make a weekly backup immediately before doing a software update and keep
the latter in a fire-safe.

Here's what the overnight cron backup job should do:

- mount a USB drive (always connected to my house server)
- do an rsnapshot backup run
- unmount the usb drive

However, since the F36 upgrade last week the overnight backup drive is no
longer being mounted and so the backup isn't happening. I'd been
'manually' mounting the backup drive (i.e. via a LABEL=xxxxx entry in /
etc/fstab):

LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT /media/snapshot ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0 0

as specified in the rsnapshot manual rather than having the drive mount at
boot time. And, as required by the rsnapshot manual at:

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Rsnapshot#Mounting_an_External_USB_Drive

it is the last non-blank line in /etc/fstab. It looks like this:

LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT /media/snapshot ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0 0

The /media/snapshot directory exists. However, any attempt to mount the
USB drive always gets this response:

# mount -L USB_SNAPSHOT mount: /media/snapshot: can't find
LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT.
.... so I've obviously missed something important, but what?

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: rsnapshot problem

<1664906445@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=753&group=uk.comp.os.linux#753

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: rsnapshot problem
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 19:00:45 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:00 UTC

Hello Martin!

Tuesday October 04 2022 17:55, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:

Stupid response - Check the case of the label on file matches command -
exactly - JIC.

Vince

> Following an upgrade from Fedora 35 to 36 it appears that rsnapshot,
> which I have configured to take a nightly backup (more for fat finger
> protection or sudden hard drive failure than for fire/theft/etc: for
> the latter I make a weekly backup immediately before doing a software
> update and keep the latter in a fire-safe.

> Here's what the overnight cron backup job should do:

> - mount a USB drive (always connected to my house server)
> - do an rsnapshot backup run
> - unmount the usb drive

> However, since the F36 upgrade last week the overnight backup drive is
> no longer being mounted and so the backup isn't happening. I'd been
> 'manually' mounting the backup drive (i.e. via a LABEL=xxxxx entry in
> / etc/fstab):

> LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT /media/snapshot ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0
> 0

> as specified in the rsnapshot manual rather than having the drive
> mount at boot time. And, as required by the rsnapshot manual at:

> https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Rsnapshot#Mounting_an_External_USB_Dr
> ive

> it is the last non-blank line in /etc/fstab. It looks like this:

> LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT /media/snapshot ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0
> 0

> The /media/snapshot directory exists. However, any attempt to mount
> the USB drive always gets this response:

> # mount -L USB_SNAPSHOT mount: /media/snapshot: can't find
> LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT.

> .... so I've obviously missed something important, but what?

> --

> Martin | martin at
> Gregorie | gregorie dot org

> --

> Martin | martin at
> Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Vincent

Re: rsnapshot problem

<WBw*dDYZy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=754&group=uk.comp.os.linux#754

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 04 Oct 2022 21:52:28 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 20:52 UTC

Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Martin!
>
> Tuesday October 04 2022 17:55, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:
>
> Stupid response - Check the case of the label on file matches command -
> exactly - JIC.

Yes, and check it mounts as /media/$USER/USB_SNAPSHOT
if you mount it from the GUI?

(or wherever Fedora mounts it if not in /media/$USER)

Theo

Re: rsnapshot problem

<thi9hg$2o964$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=755&group=uk.comp.os.linux#755

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 21:45:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 21:45 UTC

On 04 Oct 2022 21:52:28 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:

> Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Martin!
>>
>> Tuesday October 04 2022 17:55, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:
>>
>> Stupid response - Check the case of the label on file matches command -
>> exactly - JIC.
>
> Yes, and check it mounts as /media/$USER/USB_SNAPSHOT if you mount it
> from the GUI?
>
> (or wherever Fedora mounts it if not in /media/$USER)

I took the error to mean that rsnapshot can't find the LABEL line in /etc/
fstab, not that the directory name specified by that line doesn't match
the /media/snapshot directory.

However, I've since found what appears to be rsnapshot home:
https://github.com/rsnapshot

which should, hopefully, help but there's a problem in that it claims
fsnapshot is currently v1.1, which seems decidedly low for something
that's been around for at least a decade. Not that thats all that
relevant, because the version I installed as part of the Fedora 36 upgrade
doesn't have a version number: there's no --version command line option,
the manpage doesn't give a version number either. The command line
arguments seem to have changed too but its hard to know just what too,
because '-?' isn't supported and '--help' merely returns 'rsnapshot'.

Will just have to dig harder tomorrow: at least there's a contact address,
though thats at

rather than at github. I have a feeling my best approach may be to raise a
bug on the Fedora Bugzilla, see where answers come from and ash more
questions there.

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: rsnapshot problem

<jq4v7sF9ol1U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=756&group=uk.comp.os.linux#756

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 09:57:30 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 08:57 UTC

Martin Gregorie wrote:

> # mount -L USB_SNAPSHOT mount: /media/snapshot: can't find
> LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT.

do a quick "cat -v /etc/fstab" to make sure some weird character hasn't got into
the file while editing it?

Re: rsnapshot problem

<thjsoj$2vlob$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=757&group=uk.comp.os.linux#757

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:19:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:19 UTC

On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 09:57:30 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> # mount -L USB_SNAPSHOT mount: /media/snapshot: can't find
>> LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT.
>
> do a quick "cat -v /etc/fstab" to make sure some weird character hasn't
> got into the file while editing it?

Excellent idea - thanks - but it doesn't show anything unusual.

I think I'll have to hack through the rsnapshot documentation and config
file. Makes the lack of a version number rather irritating, the more so as
I notice that some default config files give their content a version
number (!).

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: rsnapshot problem

<XBw*Ou2Zy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=758&group=uk.comp.os.linux#758

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 05 Oct 2022 15:28:49 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 14:28 UTC

Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
> On 04 Oct 2022 21:52:28 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:
>
> > Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello Martin!
> >>
> >> Tuesday October 04 2022 17:55, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:
> >>
> >> Stupid response - Check the case of the label on file matches command -
> >> exactly - JIC.
> >
> > Yes, and check it mounts as /media/$USER/USB_SNAPSHOT if you mount it
> > from the GUI?
> >
> > (or wherever Fedora mounts it if not in /media/$USER)
> >
> I took the error to mean that rsnapshot can't find the LABEL line in /etc/
> fstab, not that the directory name specified by that line doesn't match
> the /media/snapshot directory.

Surely your failed attempt to do:

# mount -L USB_SNAPSHOT

suggests the drive can't be mounted, not reflecting any problem to do with
rsnapshot?

> However, I've since found what appears to be rsnapshot home:
> https://github.com/rsnapshot
>
> which should, hopefully, help but there's a problem in that it claims
> fsnapshot is currently v1.1, which seems decidedly low for something
> that's been around for at least a decade.

Not really, version numbers are entirely at the whim of the developers.
PuTTY is on 0.77 for example, and that's been around about 25 years.

> Not that thats all that
> relevant, because the version I installed as part of the Fedora 36 upgrade
> doesn't have a version number: there's no --version command line option,
> the manpage doesn't give a version number either. The command line
> arguments seem to have changed too but its hard to know just what too,
> because '-?' isn't supported and '--help' merely returns 'rsnapshot'.

You could inspect the source code:

$ less `which rsnapshot`
It's just a perl script so you can compare it with the one from github.

(it is possible there is a different tool going by the same name)

The 'version' option was added at least 8 years ago according to 'git blame'
of the github.

> Will just have to dig harder tomorrow: at least there's a contact address,
> though thats at

> rather than at github. I have a feeling my best approach may be to raise a
> bug on the Fedora Bugzilla, see where answers come from and ash more
> questions there.

I would establish whether it's an rsnapshot problem or a general problem
unrelated to rsnapshot first.

Theo

Re: rsnapshot problem

<thkgd9$2vokb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=759&group=uk.comp.os.linux#759

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:54:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:54 UTC

On 05 Oct 2022 15:28:49 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:

> Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

>> > Yes, and check it mounts as /media/$USER/USB_SNAPSHOT if you mount it
>> > from the GUI?
>> >
>> > (or wherever Fedora mounts it if not in /media/$USER)
>> >
>> I took the error to mean that rsnapshot can't find the LABEL line in
>> /etc/
>> fstab, not that the directory name specified by that line doesn't match
>> the /media/snapshot directory.
>
> Surely your failed attempt to do:
>
> # mount -L USB_SNAPSHOT
>
> suggests the drive can't be mounted, not reflecting any problem to do
> with rsnapshot?
>
>> However, I've since found what appears to be rsnapshot home:
>> https://github.com/rsnapshot
>>
>> which should, hopefully, help but there's a problem in that it claims
>> fsnapshot is currently v1.1, which seems decidedly low for something
>> that's been around for at least a decade.
>
> Not really, version numbers are entirely at the whim of the developers.
> PuTTY is on 0.77 for example, and that's been around about 25 years.
>
>> Not that thats all that relevant, because the version I installed as
>> part of the Fedora 36 upgrade doesn't have a version number: there's no
>> --version command line option, the manpage doesn't give a version
>> number either. The command line arguments seem to have changed too but
>> its hard to know just what too, because '-?' isn't supported and
>> '--help' merely returns 'rsnapshot'.
>
> You could inspect the source code:
>
> $ less `which rsnapshot`
>
> It's just a perl script so you can compare it with the one from github.
>
> (it is possible there is a different tool going by the same name)
>
> The 'version' option was added at least 8 years ago according to 'git
> blame'
> of the github.
>
>> Will just have to dig harder tomorrow: at least there's a contact
>> address,
>> though thats at

>> rather than at github. I have a feeling my best approach may be to
>> raise a bug on the Fedora Bugzilla, see where answers come from and ash
>> more questions there.
>
> I would establish whether it's an rsnapshot problem or a general problem
> unrelated to rsnapshot first.
>
> Theo

Here's what I'm currently working with.
/etc/fstab's last non-blank line is:

LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT /media/snapshot ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0 0

and that is exactly what the documentation on

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Rsnapshot

says the LABEL line should look like to keep rsnapshot happy. However,
when I run 'mount' as root, here's what I get:

# mount --fake --verbose --all LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT
/ : ignored
/boot : successfully mounted
/home : successfully mounted
/sensitive : already mounted
swap : ignored
/media/snapshot : ignored
#

IOW, the problem is that I can't mount the USB drive that rsnapshot should
write to. This was working OK before I upgraded the house server from
Fedora 35 to Fedora 36. Just now I plugged the USB drive into the laptop
I'm writing this on, which is also running Fedora 36, and it mounted OK
and was readable.

So, ATM I've commented out the fstab LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT line on the house
server bevcause it screwed up a reboot with the USB drive plugged in (this
should be the norm: the USB drive is only for overnight backups and should
be unmounted when not in use as semi-fraudulent protection from intruders
etc. This reboot was a test to see if the LABEL line in /etc/fstab was
harmful with the USB drive plugged in during a reboot: that didn't used to
be a problem.

However, that LABEL line in /etc/fstab turned out to force a reboot
attempt from the USB disk drive if it is connected at boot time. IOW its
treated as having the same priority at boot time as a memory stick or CD
drive with a bootable CD in it: not what was wanted!

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: rsnapshot problem

<87h70idqg9.fsf@wylie.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=760&group=uk.comp.os.linux#760

From: ala...@wylie.me.uk (Alan J. Wylie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 20:24:06 +0100
sha1:1TDpxD8cQHwavXBRiyNOtzAWJXg=
 by: Alan J. Wylie - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:24 UTC

Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> writes:

> /etc/fstab's last non-blank line is:
>
> LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT /media/snapshot ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0 0
^
Shouldn't that be "user"?

$ man 8 mount
user
Allow an ordinary user to mount the filesystem.

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Re: rsnapshot problem

<thko76$2vokb$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=761&group=uk.comp.os.linux#761

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 20:08:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 20:08 UTC

On Wed, 05 Oct 2022 20:24:06 +0100, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

> Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> writes:
>
>> /etc/fstab's last non-blank line is:
>>
>> LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT /media/snapshot ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0
>> 0
> ^
> Shouldn't that be "user"?
>
> $ man 8 mount
> user Allow an ordinary user to mount the filesystem.

You're right. I copied a typo from this online rsnapshot documentation:

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Rsnapshot#Mounting_an_External_USB_Drive

I just checked: the typo is shown as I copied it on that page. However,
fixing it doesn't seem to have had any effect on my problem.

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: rsnapshot problem

<jq6po9Fi1sfU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=762&group=uk.comp.os.linux#762

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 6 Oct 2022 01:36:09 GMT
 by: Gordon - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 01:36 UTC

On 2022-10-04, Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:
> On 04 Oct 2022 21:52:28 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:
>
>> Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello Martin!
>>>
>>> Tuesday October 04 2022 17:55, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:
>>>
>>> Stupid response - Check the case of the label on file matches command -
>>> exactly - JIC.
>>
>> Yes, and check it mounts as /media/$USER/USB_SNAPSHOT if you mount it
>> from the GUI?
>>
>> (or wherever Fedora mounts it if not in /media/$USER)
>>
> I took the error to mean that rsnapshot can't find the LABEL line in /etc/
> fstab, not that the directory name specified by that line doesn't match
> the /media/snapshot directory.

My unstanding is that it can not find the backup (drive). As it is not
mounted. Which is what Vincet is saying above.

> However, I've since found what appears to be rsnapshot home:
> https://github.com/rsnapshot
>
> which should, hopefully, help but there's a problem in that it claims
> fsnapshot is currently v1.1, which seems decidedly low for something
> that's been around for at least a decade.

Version numbers mean little as there is no standard as to how they progress,
except increasing.

> Not that thats all that
> relevant, because the version I installed as part of the Fedora 36 upgrade
> doesn't have a version number: there's no --version command line option,
> the manpage doesn't give a version number either. The command line
> arguments seem to have changed too but its hard to know just what too,
> because '-?' isn't supported and '--help' merely returns 'rsnapshot'.
>
> Will just have to dig harder tomorrow: at least there's a contact address,
> though thats at

> rather than at github. I have a feeling my best approach may be to raise a
> bug on the Fedora Bugzilla, see where answers come from and ash more
> questions there.

Re: rsnapshot problem

<thmavb$3a2db$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=763&group=uk.comp.os.linux#763

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:34:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:34 UTC

On 6 Oct 2022 01:36:09 GMT, Gordon wrote:

> Version numbers mean little as there is no standard as to how they
> progress, except increasing.

Indeed, though three part version numbers, aka Semantic Versioning, if
used as intended, are quite useful - there's a good description here:
https://semver.org/

However, what I'm seeing here is an executable that has no version number,
but there IS a version number in the example configuration file included
in the release package.

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

[SOLVED] Re: rsnapshot problem

<87mta96ucf.fsf_-_@wylie.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=764&group=uk.comp.os.linux#764

From: ala...@wylie.me.uk (Alan J. Wylie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: rsnapshot problem
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 12:54:08 +0100
sha1:DwXLN5tASDSqhjvbku1YWSoUiG4=
 by: Alan J. Wylie - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 11:54 UTC

Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> writes:

>>> LABEL=USB_SNAPSHOT /media/snapshot ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0 0

I don't know why that used to work, but I have the answer: The "LABEL="
part *replaces*" the "first field".

Just use

LABEL=USBSNAPSHOT ext4 rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime 0 0

# mount --fstab=foo --all --fake --verbose
mount: ext4: can't find LABEL=USBSNAPSHOT.