-- I have seen the FUN --

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding drivers

SubjectAuthor
* New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding driversswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speedingSpike
|`* Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speedingJNugent
| `- Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speedingSpike
`- Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding driversswldx...@gmail.com

1
New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding drivers

<adcd2307-d30f-4c8f-b25f-83f79ef9d712n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7575&group=uk.rec.cycling#7575

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 13:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding drivers
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 20:10 UTC

BRILLIANT NEWS!

A new smartphone app will allow members of the public to submit evidence of speeding drivers to police forces.

The app, called Speedcam Anywhere, can also be used on tablets and is currently being trialled by volunteers from the 20’s Plenty For Us charity, which campaigns for lower speed limits.

Currently available on the Google Play Store (link is external) (some users in the reviews report problems logging in, an issue which apparently has been fixed in an update), an iOS version is also said to be on the way. According to its developers, who also have a comprehensive FAQ on their website (link is external),

Speedcam Anywhere turns your smartphone or tablet into a portable speed camera. Simply install the app, stand in a safe place at the side of the road and point your camera at a passing vehicle and tap to capture a short video, which will be analysed to accurately calculate its speed.

Your videos will be uploaded to our servers and analysed using AI to create a full and accurate report that will be emailed to you. Your report will include where and when the video was taken, the speed of the vehicle and the speed limit of the road it was driving on. It will also include details of the effect of the speed on air quality, stopping distances and pedestrian fatalities.

20’s Plenty For Us says that the through enabling anyone with a suitable device to obtain evidence of speeding and send it to the police for processing, it can lead to wider enforcement of and compliance with speed limits.

Rod King, Founder and Campaign Director for 20's Plenty for Us said : “By allowing communities and local authorities to submit clear and unambiguous evidence of careless and inconsiderate driving this technology will be a game-changer in speed limit enforcement.

“It allows police forces to align with community needs for compliance without imposing an increased load on the police. We expect it to be welcomed by all those interested in making our communities safer,” he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/new-app-allow-public-submit-evidence-speeding-291501

Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding drivers

<t213g2$81m$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7584&group=uk.rec.cycling#7584

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding
drivers
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 08:13:57 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 08:13 UTC

On 29/03/2022 20:10, swldx...@gmail.com wrote

> BRILLIANT NEWS!

> A new smartphone app will allow members of the public to submit evidence of speeding drivers to police forces.

> https://road.cc/content/news/new-app-allow-public-submit-evidence-speeding-291501

Slight snag....it hasn't been tested in court....

--
Spike

Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding drivers

<jaiqhjF1am8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7590&group=uk.rec.cycling#7590

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
drivers
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:43:00 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:43 UTC

On 30/03/2022 09:13 am, Spike wrote:

> On 29/03/2022 20:10, swldx...@gmail.com wrote
>
>> BRILLIANT NEWS!
>
>> A new smartphone app will allow members of the public to submit evidence of speeding drivers to police forces.
>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/new-app-allow-public-submit-evidence-speeding-291501
>
> Slight snag....it hasn't been tested in court....

Will it calculate the speed of loony fairy-cyclists deliberately and
maliciously hurtling past schools - often on the footway - in 20mph
limits at letting-out time?

Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding drivers

<t21e1v$1ecq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7593&group=uk.rec.cycling#7593

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
drivers
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:14:10 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:14 UTC

On 30/03/2022 10:43, JNugent wrote:
> On 30/03/2022 09:13 am, Spike wrote:
>> On 29/03/2022 20:10, swldx...@gmail.com wrote

>>> BRILLIANT NEWS!

>>> A new smartphone app will allow members of the public to submit evidence of speeding drivers to police forces.

>>> https://road.cc/content/news/new-app-allow-public-submit-evidence-speeding-291501

>> Slight snag....it hasn't been tested in court....

> Will it calculate the speed of loony fairy-cyclists deliberately and
> maliciously hurtling past schools - often on the footway - in 20mph
> limits at letting-out time?

YES!

--
Spike

Re: New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding drivers

<07243a8c-8e88-4dd1-a458-3d8e8f50a581n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7599&group=uk.rec.cycling#7599

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 04:29:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:29 UTC

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 9:10:28 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> BRILLIANT NEWS!

brogs | 8 posts | 3 hours ago
0 likes

I think this could be useful to gather general evidence of inappropriate speed in problem locations but it is not going to be an approved device for speed enforcement. Even when approved devices are used by the community speed watch brigade, it cannot result in prosecution. It may result in targeted enforcement for repeat offenders.

However, it's important to understand that speeding (exceeding a posted limit) is one small component in the complicated science of road safety. Personally, I'd rather be passed at 40 with plenty of room than run over at 30. I've yet to meet someone who wouldn't. Skills and attitudes are the main components involved in safer roads. Those attributes lead to drivers being able to set a safe speed which may be below or (controversial for some) above the posted limit which is often arbitrarily set. The roads won't get safer until we build a proper system of training and assessment for drivers (or human drivers are retired in favour of self-driving vehicles). The best thing community speed watch individuals can do to improve local road safety is enroll themselves in a driver development course.

reply quote

exilegareth replied to brogs | 182 posts | 2 hours ago
4 likes

This is the worst exposition opf the 'safe drivers like me should be allowed to speed' argument I've seen in quite a while. I'd love to see your evidence for your last sentence - or is that also another 'I know best' assertion?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / New smartphone app to allow public to submit evidence of speeding drivers