Building translators is good clean fun. -- T. Cheatham

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

SubjectAuthor
* swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKRustyHinge
+- swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKPeter
|`- swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKTease'n'Seize
|+* swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKKerr-Mudd, John
||`* swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKRustyHinge
|| `- swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|+* swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKAhem A Rivet's Shot
||`- swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|+* swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKSam Plusnet
||`* swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKTease'n'Seize
|| `- swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKNick Odell
|`- swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`- swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSKBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

1
swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<sub4m6$429$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7539&group=uk.rec.sheds#7539

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 14:30:30 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 14:30 UTC

My washing-chamine has gone itts-up and may arrq an arj PCB if one can
be got it's an ancient chamine (don't ask me just now wot make) and an
Indesit one has turned-up at a local charidee siop.

What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?

Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<20220213151723.88e09432406ebb52d8ce15a1@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7540&group=uk.rec.sheds#7540

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:17:23 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:17 UTC

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 14:30:30 +0000
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?
>
> Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but

These days Indesit, Hotpoint, Whirlpool and probably several others
are essentially the same and share many parts (one of my Hotpoint fridge
freezers has an Indesit branded thermistor in it now) - you should be fine
with it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<XnsAE3DA030A9761Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7543&group=uk.rec.sheds#7543

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:44:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:44 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:sub4m6$429$1
@dont-email.me:

> My washing-chamine has gone itts-up and may arrq an arj PCB if one can
> be got it's an ancient chamine (don't ask me just now wot make) and an
> Indesit one has turned-up at a local charidee siop.
>
> What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?
>
> Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but

We had an Indesit for a great many years. When it finally expired we got
another Indesit which expired a few days after the guarantee[1]. We
replaced that with a Bosch, which has been running well for a few years
now[A], and is much quieter, more energy-efficicent and easier to use.

[1]I reckon that the lifetime of white goods is too variable to take
individual examples as a guide - best get a best-value guide from
somewhere.

[A]...but will, no doubt, explode in a shower of purple sparks tomorrow,
now that I have extoled its virtues[i]

[i]Superstitious, moi?
--
Peter
-----

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<kcidnUNslPxjtpT_nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7544&group=uk.rec.sheds#7544

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:04:13 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:04 UTC

RustyHinge wrote:

> My washing-chamine has gone itts-up and may arrq an arj PCB if one can be got
> it's an ancient chamine (don't ask me just now wot make) and an Indesit one has
> turned-up at a local charidee siop.
>
> What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?
>
> Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but

I thought Miele were supposed to be the best?

Anyway indesit/ariston are now owned by hotpoint, and ultimately by whirlpool.

I preferred the old hotpoints, I have a "new" hotpoint (not that new, 2006 I
think, starting to make ungood noises) which seems to mainly use indesit parts,
but you can get the bits 'em.

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<20220213162808.4dede7a606e3d602e35ff759@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7546&group=uk.rec.sheds#7546

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:28:08 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:28 UTC

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:04:13 +0000
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:

> RustyHinge wrote:
>
> > My washing-chamine has gone itts-up and may arrq an arj PCB if one can be got
> > it's an ancient chamine (don't ask me just now wot make) and an Indesit one has
> > turned-up at a local charidee siop.
> >
> > What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?
> >
> > Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but
>
> I thought Miele were supposed to be the best?
>
> Anyway indesit/ariston are now owned by hotpoint, and ultimately by whirlpool.
>
> I preferred the old hotpoints, I have a "new" hotpoint (not that new, 2006 I
> think, starting to make ungood noises) which seems to mainly use indesit parts,
> but you can get the bits 'em.

Probably the bearings need replacing; not too expensive but an awful lot of hammering reqd. - Mine is now in need)
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<subdj6$4cu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7547&group=uk.rec.sheds#7547

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:02:30 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:02 UTC

On 13/02/2022 16:28, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:04:13 +0000
> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>
>> RustyHinge wrote:
>>
>>> My washing-chamine has gone itts-up and may arrq an arj PCB if one can be got
>>> it's an ancient chamine (don't ask me just now wot make) and an Indesit one has
>>> turned-up at a local charidee siop.
>>>
>>> What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?
>>>
>>> Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but
>>
>> I thought Miele were supposed to be the best?
>>
>> Anyway indesit/ariston are now owned by hotpoint, and ultimately by whirlpool.
>>
>> I preferred the old hotpoints, I have a "new" hotpoint (not that new, 2006 I
>> think, starting to make ungood noises) which seems to mainly use indesit parts,
>> but you can get the bits 'em.
>
> Probably the bearings need replacing; not too expensive but an awful lot of hammering reqd. - Mine is now in need)

It generally has one light wash a week nd using the rumblegrinder is not
on the itinerererary.

Thanks for all who responded - trying to arrange a purchase through a
third party when one xabjf nuffink about modern-ish chaminery is fraught
with pitfalls and springlenooses innit.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<20220213175757.85b1ebdb2d1c6aa0dbf5a792@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7549&group=uk.rec.sheds#7549

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:57:57 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:57 UTC

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:04:13 +0000
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:

> I thought Miele were supposed to be the best?

I thought they just competed with Fzrt for being the most
zbarlous.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<OzdOJ.370014$9Y33.360632@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7553&group=uk.rec.sheds#7553

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:09:19 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:09 UTC

On 13-Feb-22 16:04, Tease'n'Seize wrote:

> I thought Miele were supposed to be the best?

Miele stuff _is_ very good, but you pay nasally for one of they.

Incidently, if you buy a Miele fridge or freezer - it was made by Liebherr.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<sud8v6$e4o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7572&group=uk.rec.sheds#7572

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 09:55:49 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 09:55 UTC

Not much to choose between them really, since many are made by the same
people with different names on the front. Why are they selling it? What is
the warranty? Does the drum bearing make bad noises, like its going rusty
inside, is it a direct drive where half the machine has to be changed to
fix it, is it one which was in the recall list of anyone?

I think,in the end its either a second hand one or one of those Turkish ones
Curries sells.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> My washing-chamine has gone itts-up and may arrq an arj PCB if one can be
> got it's an ancient chamine (don't ask me just now wot make) and an
> Indesit one has turned-up at a local charidee siop.
>
> What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?
>
> Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<sud94a$f0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7574&group=uk.rec.sheds#7574

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 09:58:33 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 09:58 UTC

I have to say that Bosch devices do seem to be pretty good, its a shame
though that their vacuum cleaners use plastic clips so much since I'm now
having to fit self tapping screws all over the place when the plastic
springs go brittle and break off.

"Peter" <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote in message
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:sub4m6$429$1
> @dont-email.me:
>
>> My washing-chamine has gone itts-up and may arrq an arj PCB if one can
>> be got it's an ancient chamine (don't ask me just now wot make) and an
>> Indesit one has turned-up at a local charidee siop.
>>
>> What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?
>>
>> Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but
>>

> We had an Indesit for a great many years. When it finally expired we got
> another Indesit which expired a few days after the guarantee[1]. We
> replaced that with a Bosch, which has been running well for a few years
> now[A], and is much quieter, more energy-efficicent and easier to use.
>
> [1]I reckon that the lifetime of white goods is too variable to take
> individual examples as a guide - best get a best-value guide from
> somewhere.
>
> [A]...but will, no doubt, explode in a shower of purple sparks tomorrow,
> now that I have extoled its virtues[i]
>
> [i]Superstitious, moi?
> --
> Peter
> -----

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<sud9ai$gmb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7575&group=uk.rec.sheds#7575

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:01:53 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:01 UTC

Yes I had a Service but eventually the pcb would not respond to being fixed
again, it seemed tohave lifted a lot of tracks. Cost to repair,two thirds of
the cost of the current Panasonic, at least its usable by the blind which is
more than can be said for most of them. Many are now appearing with Alexa
integration, but you might not really to be faffing about with an online
device merely to clean your stuff.

"Tease'n'Seize" <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in message
> RustyHinge wrote:
>
>> My washing-chamine has gone itts-up and may arrq an arj PCB if one can be
>> got it's an ancient chamine (don't ask me just now wot make) and an
>> Indesit one has turned-up at a local charidee siop.
>>
>> What are Indesits like for reliability and longevity?
>>
>> Yearsandyearsago they used to be thevery best, but
>
> I thought Miele were supposed to be the best?
>
> Anyway indesit/ariston are now owned by hotpoint, and ultimately by
> whirlpool.
>
> I preferred the old hotpoints, I have a "new" hotpoint (not that new, 2006
> I think, starting to make ungood noises) which seems to mainly use indesit
> parts, but you can get the bits 'em.

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<sud9hb$huh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7576&group=uk.rec.sheds#7576

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:05:30 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:05 UTC

Just don't be tempted by one of those ill fated Dysan washers with contra
rotating drums. They were a good idea, but the complexity of them and their
non standard sizes meant they kept going wrong, and in the end Dyson bought
a lot back and stopped making washing machines.

> On 13/02/2022 16:28, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:04:13 +0000
>> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:

>>> I thought Miele were supposed to be the best?
>>>
>>> Anyway indesit/ariston are now owned by hotpoint, and ultimately by
>>> whirlpool.
>>>
>>> I preferred the old hotpoints, I have a "new" hotpoint (not that new,
>>> 2006 I
>>> think, starting to make ungood noises) which seems to mainly use indesit
>>> parts,
>>> but you can get the bits 'em.
>>
>> Probably the bearings need replacing; not too expensive but an awful lot
>> of hammering reqd. - Mine is now in need)
>
> It generally has one light wash a week nd using the rumblegrinder is not
> on the itinerererary.
>
> Thanks for all who responded - trying to arrange a purchase through a
> third party when one xabjf nuffink about modern-ish chaminery is fraught
> with pitfalls and springlenooses innit.
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<sud9li$iij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7577&group=uk.rec.sheds#7577

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:07:45 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:07 UTC

The point about their goods is that you can get themfixed for over 10 years,
and yes they are expensive. I suspect with the new repairablity laws coming
in soon, many companies will up the prices to cover themselves for being
responsible for fixing old stuff and dealing with the waste when they reach
end of life.

"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:04:13 +0000
> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>
>> I thought Miele were supposed to be the best?
>
> I thought they just competed with Fzrt for being the most
> zbarlous.
>
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith
> Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<T6idnTh5g9Gjspf_nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7580&group=uk.rec.sheds#7580

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:30:13 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:30 UTC

Sam Plusnet wrote:

> Miele stuff _is_ very good, but you pay nasally for one of they.
> Incidently, if you buy a Miele fridge or freezer - it was made by Liebherr.

I only have a Miele ohvore, in fact I have two, with a BNIB replacement ready
for when/if it croaks sitting in the loft.

Re: swish-sploshing hamine afficionados to the bridge, IYWBSK

<vtlk0h93ps5kq64sk3n5tg6jmdcvfmvvet@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7589&group=uk.rec.sheds#7589

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 13:24:12 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 13:24 UTC

On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:30:13 +0000, Tease'n'Seize
<tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:

>Sam Plusnet wrote:
>
>> Miele stuff _is_ very good, but you pay nasally for one of they.
>> Incidently, if you buy a Miele fridge or freezer - it was made by Liebherr.
>
>I only have a Miele ohvore, in fact I have two, with a BNIB replacement ready
>for when/if it croaks sitting in the loft.

How do you know it will be in the loft when it croaks?

Nick