Total strangers need love, too; and I'm stranger than most.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / AppleTV on iphone is a pain

SubjectAuthor
* AppleTV on iphone is a painChris
+* AppleTV on iphone is a painDavid Kennedy
|`* AppleTV on iphone is a painChris
| `* AppleTV on iphone is a painAndy Hewitt
|  +- AppleTV on iphone is a painCommander Kinsey
|  `* AppleTV on iphone is a painChris
|   `* AppleTV on iphone is a painAlan B
|    `* AppleTV on iphone is a painChris
|     `- AppleTV on iphone is a painAli Shan
`- AppleTV on iphone is a painbuggy rents

1
AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<t2mslv$33b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7610&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7610

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: AppleTV on iphone is a pain
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 14:32:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:uWdZAL0WnvnF1//ry1vfiTmteR4=
 by: Chris - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 14:32 UTC

Sorry for another complaint. It seems that on holiday I try things I don't
normally do.

The AppleTV app is stuck on the Downloads page and no attempt to dislodge
it works. How do I get back to the main screen? I want to watch something
other than programs I've downloaded.

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<D4Gdnbtw0_IAsNL_nZ2dnUU7-W2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7615&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7615

Subject: Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:29:48 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:29 UTC

On 07/04/2022 15:32, Chris wrote:

> Sorry for another complaint. It seems that on holiday I try things I don't
> normally do.
>
> The AppleTV app is stuck on the Downloads page and no attempt to dislodge
> it works. How do I get back to the main screen? I want to watch something
> other than programs I've downloaded.

Switch it off and then on again...

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<t2nc9h$8s8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7616&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7616

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:58:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xQN5LeCUSSBCWdkdw7yqdBZIwFo=
 by: Chris - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:58 UTC

David Kennedy <davidkennedygm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2022 15:32, Chris wrote:
>>

>> Sorry for another complaint. It seems that on holiday I try things I don't
>> normally do.
>>
>> The AppleTV app is stuck on the Downloads page and no attempt to dislodge
>> it works. How do I get back to the main screen? I want to watch something
>> other than programs I've downloaded.
>>
> Switch it off and then on again...

Already tried that...

Is this some sort region locking? Is it not available in Greece?

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<t2u228$t2t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7653&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7653

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:47:18 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:47 UTC

On 07/04/2022 19:58, Chris wrote:
> David Kennedy <davidkennedygm@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/04/2022 15:32, Chris wrote:
>>>

>>> Sorry for another complaint. It seems that on holiday I try things I don't
>>> normally do.
>>>
>>> The AppleTV app is stuck on the Downloads page and no attempt to dislodge
>>> it works. How do I get back to the main screen? I want to watch something
>>> other than programs I've downloaded.
>>>
>> Switch it off and then on again...
>
> Already tried that...
>
> Is this some sort region locking? Is it not available in Greece?

I quick bit of net searching finds that they do use Geo-Blocking
depending on where exactly you are, and what services are available
across borders. An Apple Support page shows that services are available
in Greece (why not look there first?).

There's a lot of talk about using various workarounds, such as setting
up a second Apple Store account for the alternative region (not sure how
that works for viewing already purchased services though), and switching
users in the AppleTV app.

Alternatively you might need to try a VPN, and force it to think you're
still in the UK, again a net search finds plenty of info on this.
However, many streaming services are becoming wise to this, and now
capable of detecting VPN use.

Or you just download everything you want to watch before you leave the UK.

--
Andy H

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<op.1kegrdndmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7654&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7654

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:05:27 +0100
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:05 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:47:18 +0100, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 07/04/2022 19:58, Chris wrote:
>> David Kennedy <davidkennedygm@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Switch it off and then on again...
>>
>> Already tried that...
>>
>> Is this some sort region locking? Is it not available in Greece?
>
> I quick bit of net searching finds that they do use Geo-Blocking
> depending on where exactly you are, and what services are available
> across borders. An Apple Support page shows that services are available
> in Greece (why not look there first?).
>
> There's a lot of talk about using various workarounds, such as setting
> up a second Apple Store account for the alternative region (not sure how
> that works for viewing already purchased services though), and switching
> users in the AppleTV app.
>
> Alternatively you might need to try a VPN, and force it to think you're
> still in the UK, again a net search finds plenty of info on this.
> However, many streaming services are becoming wise to this, and now
> capable of detecting VPN use.
>
> Or you just download everything you want to watch before you leave the UK.

So Apple are censoring the content. Just use a non-Apple product.

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<t2u443$c47$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7655&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7655

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:22:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+yB68S131fPA5cZlcg7C+iDqt30=
 by: Chris - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:22 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2022 19:58, Chris wrote:
>> David Kennedy <davidkennedygm@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Switch it off and then on again...
>>
>> Already tried that...
>>
>> Is this some sort region locking? Is it not available in Greece?
>
> I quick bit of net searching finds that they do use Geo-Blocking
> depending on where exactly you are, and what services are available
> across borders. An Apple Support page shows that services are available
> in Greece (why not look there first?).
>
> There's a lot of talk about using various workarounds, such as setting
> up a second Apple Store account for the alternative region (not sure how
> that works for viewing already purchased services though), and switching
> users in the AppleTV app.
>
> Alternatively you might need to try a VPN, and force it to think you're
> still in the UK, again a net search finds plenty of info on this.
> However, many streaming services are becoming wise to this, and now
> capable of detecting VPN use.
>
> Or you just download everything you want to watch before you leave the UK.

Back home now. Turns out it's simply because I had mobile data turned off.
God the UI is awful! No mention anywhere that content availability is
reduced due to that. Netflix much clearer on that front.

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<t2u5cm$l88$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7657&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7657

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:44:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:44 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> Already tried that...
>>>
>>> Is this some sort region locking? Is it not available in Greece?
>>
>> I quick bit of net searching finds that they do use Geo-Blocking
>> depending on where exactly you are, and what services are available
>> across borders. An Apple Support page shows that services are available
>> in Greece (why not look there first?).
>>
>> There's a lot of talk about using various workarounds, such as setting
>> up a second Apple Store account for the alternative region (not sure how
>> that works for viewing already purchased services though), and switching
>> users in the AppleTV app.
>>
>> Alternatively you might need to try a VPN, and force it to think you're
>> still in the UK, again a net search finds plenty of info on this.
>> However, many streaming services are becoming wise to this, and now
>> capable of detecting VPN use.
>>
>> Or you just download everything you want to watch before you leave the UK.
>
> Back home now. Turns out it's simply because I had mobile data turned off.
> God the UI is awful! No mention anywhere that content availability is
> reduced due to that. Netflix much clearer on that front.

Just to be clear, did you have no WiFi internet connection or does mobile
data always have to turned on regardless - surely not?

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<t2usem$bk1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7662&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7662

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:17:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qOLDAEDUfliHyNBy83WqcvW8QEQ=
 by: Chris - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:17 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> I quick bit of net searching finds that they do use Geo-Blocking
>>> depending on where exactly you are, and what services are available
>>> across borders. An Apple Support page shows that services are available
>>> in Greece (why not look there first?).
>>>
>>> There's a lot of talk about using various workarounds, such as setting
>>> up a second Apple Store account for the alternative region (not sure how
>>> that works for viewing already purchased services though), and switching
>>> users in the AppleTV app.
>>>
>>> Alternatively you might need to try a VPN, and force it to think you're
>>> still in the UK, again a net search finds plenty of info on this.
>>> However, many streaming services are becoming wise to this, and now
>>> capable of detecting VPN use.
>>>
>>> Or you just download everything you want to watch before you leave the UK.
>>
>> Back home now. Turns out it's simply because I had mobile data turned off.
>> God the UI is awful! No mention anywhere that content availability is
>> reduced due to that. Netflix much clearer on that front.
>
> Just to be clear, did you have no WiFi internet connection or does mobile
> data always have to turned on regardless - surely not?

Only when there's no wifi. You can replicate it by turning on airplane
mode.

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<0f87c3c4-1231-4f64-aa8c-f36d2b199e7cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10468&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10468

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 04:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: aliswor...@gmail.com (Ali Shan)
 by: Ali Shan - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:46 UTC

Suddenly found yourself with extra time on your hands and want to break up the monotony, Watch the latest movies, season on https://asumetech.com/what-to-watch/.

Re: AppleTV on iphone is a pain

<4df3c014-d877-406b-b0e5-1aba83699598n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11188&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#11188

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 01:02:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: buggyre...@gmail.com (buggy rents)
 by: buggy rents - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 08:02 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 7:32:33 AM UTC-7, Chris wrote:
> Sorry for another complaint. It seems that on holiday I try things I don't
> normally do.
>
> The AppleTV app is stuck on the Downloads page and no attempt to dislodge
> it works. How do I get back to the main screen? I want to watch something
> other than programs I've downloaded.
Apple TV+ is a streaming service featuring Apple Originals — award-winning series, compelling dramas, groundbreaking documentaries, kids' entertainment, comedies, and more — with new Apple Originals added every month https://buggyrents.com/