A private sin is not so prejudicial in the world as a public indecency. -- Miguel de Cervantes

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

SubjectAuthor
* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyJohn Hill
`* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyAlan B
 `* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyJohn Hill
  +* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyDavid Brooks
  |+- My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyJohn Hill
  |`* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyJohn Hill
  | `- My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyDavid Brooks
  +- My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyAlan B
  `* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyAlan B
   `* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyJohn Hill
    `* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyAlan B
     `* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyAlan B
      `* My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyJaimie Vandenbergh
       `- My iMac's location doesn't show in Find MyAlan B

1
My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2kjm5$7lt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7586&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7586

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:46:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:46 UTC

I have three devices - an iMac an iPad and an iPhone. All are reasonably
recent and fully up to date system wise.

The iMac can see the location of the other two in Find My, and the other two
can see each other. But both show "No location found" for the iMac, even when
it's awake.

The other two show their own location on a map. But the map for itself on the
iMac is a pale green but otherwise blank field with an image of the iMac in
the middle, and lacking any controls whatsoever (they appear, and work, on the
maps of the other two).

Clearly there is something that is off and should be on on the iMac, but I
can't figure out what it can be. So far as I can tell, the settings are the
same for all (but there are SO many buttons, switches etc. that I can't be
sure).

Any ideas as to how to get the iMc to reveal itself, not only to the iPad and
iPhone but to itself?

John.

--
Mony a mickle makes a muckle

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2kko2$svp$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7587&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7587

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 18:04:50 -0000 (UTC)
U&VxyY4]sR 0Cwoj."gM#,0AR}|Lx[bvku-1o<yHzB.M`yRkH(,?Ed3&33O@_#B-+<g[3
:X45}X)<NZfI+R"2rL3( w6edB|\DO7wks0SKvSp!tC3nmcONA8x
 by: Alan B - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 18:04 UTC

Le 6 avril 2022 à 18:46, John Hill a raconté :

> I have three devices - an iMac an iPad and an iPhone. All are reasonably
> recent and fully up to date system wise.
>
> The iMac can see the location of the other two in Find My, and the other two
> can see each other. But both show "No location found" for the iMac, even when
> it's awake.
>
> The other two show their own location on a map. But the map for itself on the
> iMac is a pale green but otherwise blank field with an image of the iMac in
> the middle, and lacking any controls whatsoever (they appear, and work, on the
> maps of the other two).
>
> Clearly there is something that is off and should be on on the iMac, but I
> can't figure out what it can be. So far as I can tell, the settings are the
> same for all (but there are SO many buttons, switches etc. that I can't be
> sure).
>
> Any ideas as to how to get the iMc to reveal itself, not only to the iPad and
> iPhone but to itself?

On your iMac under Security & Privaces preferences, are Enable Location
Services ticked and under System Services, Details is Find My Mac ticked?

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2kv47$j83$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7588&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7588

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:01:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:01 UTC

On 6 Apr 2022 at 19:04:50 BST, "Alan B"
<alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> Le 6 avril 2022 à 18:46, John Hill a raconté :
>

>> I have three devices - an iMac an iPad and an iPhone. All are reasonably
>> recent and fully up to date system wise.
>>
>> The iMac can see the location of the other two in Find My, and the other two
>> can see each other. But both show "No location found" for the iMac, even when
>> it's awake.
>>
>> The other two show their own location on a map. But the map for itself on the
>> iMac is a pale green but otherwise blank field with an image of the iMac in
>> the middle, and lacking any controls whatsoever (they appear, and work, on the
>> maps of the other two).
>>
>> Clearly there is something that is off and should be on on the iMac, but I
>> can't figure out what it can be. So far as I can tell, the settings are the
>> same for all (but there are SO many buttons, switches etc. that I can't be
>> sure).
>>
>> Any ideas as to how to get the iMc to reveal itself, not only to the iPad and
>> iPhone but to itself?
>
> On your iMac under Security & Privaces preferences, are Enable Location
> Services ticked and under System Services, Details is Find My Mac ticked?

Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.

John.

--
You're not an old dog until you can't learn new tricks

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<OEn3K.24057$ep1.13765@fx03.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7589&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7589

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:31:26 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:31 UTC

On 06/04/2022 22:01, John Hill wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2022 at 19:04:50 BST, "Alan B"
> <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>
>> Le 6 avril 2022 à 18:46, John Hill a raconté :
>>

>>> I have three devices - an iMac an iPad and an iPhone. All are reasonably
>>> recent and fully up to date system wise.
>>>
>>> The iMac can see the location of the other two in Find My, and the other two
>>> can see each other. But both show "No location found" for the iMac, even when
>>> it's awake.
>>>
>>> The other two show their own location on a map. But the map for itself on the
>>> iMac is a pale green but otherwise blank field with an image of the iMac in
>>> the middle, and lacking any controls whatsoever (they appear, and work, on the
>>> maps of the other two).
>>>
>>> Clearly there is something that is off and should be on on the iMac, but I
>>> can't figure out what it can be. So far as I can tell, the settings are the
>>> same for all (but there are SO many buttons, switches etc. that I can't be
>>> sure).
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to how to get the iMc to reveal itself, not only to the iPad and
>>> iPhone but to itself?
>>
>> On your iMac under Security & Privaces preferences, are Enable Location
>> Services ticked and under System Services, Details is Find My Mac ticked?
>
> Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.
>
> John.

Did you use THIS link, John?

https://www.icloud.com/find/

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2luv1$t3m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7593&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7593

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:05:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:05 UTC

On 6 Apr 2022 at 22:31:26 BST, "David Brooks" <BDB@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 06/04/2022 22:01, John Hill wrote:
>> On 6 Apr 2022 at 19:04:50 BST, "Alan B"
>> <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>>
>>> Le 6 avril 2022 à 18:46, John Hill a raconté :

>>> On your iMac under Security & Privaces preferences, are Enable Location
>>> Services ticked and under System Services, Details is Find My Mac ticked?
>>
>> Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.
>>
>> John.
>
> Did you use THIS link, John?
>
> https://www.icloud.com/find/

No, but whin I did it showed the iPad and the iPhone but not the iMac.

John.

--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2lvbb$db$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7594&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7594

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:11:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:11 UTC

On 6 Apr 2022 at 22:31:26 BST, "David Brooks" <BDB@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 06/04/2022 22:01, John Hill wrote:
>> On 6 Apr 2022 at 19:04:50 BST, "Alan B"
>> <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>>
>>> Le 6 avril 2022 à 18:46, John Hill a raconté :

>>> On your iMac under Security & Privaces preferences, are Enable Location
>>> Services ticked and under System Services, Details is Find My Mac ticked?
>>
>> Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.
>>
>> John.
>
> Did you use THIS link, John?
>
> https://www.icloud.com/find/

Oh, and it shows the iMac as Offline, though it is not.

J.
--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2m0hm$7hk$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7595&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7595

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:32:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:32 UTC

John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2022 at 19:04:50 BST, "Alan B"
> <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>
>> Le 6 avril 2022 à 18:46, John Hill a raconté :
>>

>>> I have three devices - an iMac an iPad and an iPhone. All are reasonably
>>> recent and fully up to date system wise.
>>>
>>> The iMac can see the location of the other two in Find My, and the other two
>>> can see each other. But both show "No location found" for the iMac, even when
>>> it's awake.
>>>
>>> The other two show their own location on a map. But the map for itself on the
>>> iMac is a pale green but otherwise blank field with an image of the iMac in
>>> the middle, and lacking any controls whatsoever (they appear, and work, on the
>>> maps of the other two).
>>>
>>> Clearly there is something that is off and should be on on the iMac, but I
>>> can't figure out what it can be. So far as I can tell, the settings are the
>>> same for all (but there are SO many buttons, switches etc. that I can't be
>>> sure).
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to how to get the iMc to reveal itself, not only to the iPad and
>>> iPhone but to itself?
>>
>> On your iMac under Security & Privaces preferences, are Enable Location
>> Services ticked and under System Services, Details is Find My Mac ticked?
>
> Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.

Guessing now but is the iMac’s firewall turned on?

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<Ugw3K.22119$4Og.18163@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7596&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7596

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:20:20 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:20 UTC

On 07/04/2022 07:11, John Hill wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2022 at 22:31:26 BST, "David Brooks" <BDB@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 06/04/2022 22:01, John Hill wrote:

>>> Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.
>>>
>>> John.
>>
>> Did you use THIS link, John?
>>
>> https://www.icloud.com/find/
>
> Oh, and it shows the iMac as Offline, though it is not.
>
> J.

John - please try this:-

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2m5g3$6r3$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7598&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7598

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:56:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:56 UTC

John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2022 at 19:04:50 BST, "Alan B"
> <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>
>> Le 6 avril 2022 à 18:46, John Hill a raconté :
>>

>>> I have three devices - an iMac an iPad and an iPhone. All are reasonably
>>> recent and fully up to date system wise.
>>>
>>> The iMac can see the location of the other two in Find My, and the other two
>>> can see each other. But both show "No location found" for the iMac, even when
>>> it's awake.
>>>
>>> The other two show their own location on a map. But the map for itself on the
>>> iMac is a pale green but otherwise blank field with an image of the iMac in
>>> the middle, and lacking any controls whatsoever (they appear, and work, on the
>>> maps of the other two).
>>>
>>> Clearly there is something that is off and should be on on the iMac, but I
>>> can't figure out what it can be. So far as I can tell, the settings are the
>>> same for all (but there are SO many buttons, switches etc. that I can't be
>>> sure).
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to how to get the iMc to reveal itself, not only to the iPad and
>>> iPhone but to itself?
>>
>> On your iMac under Security & Privaces preferences, are Enable Location
>> Services ticked and under System Services, Details is Find My Mac ticked?
>
> Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.

Firewall shouldn’t really be an issue - it’s on here.

You could also check System Prefs -> Internet Accounts -> iCloud -> Find My
Mac is ticked and then look at the Options therein.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2m8ol$teg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7601&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7601

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:52:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:52 UTC

On 7 Apr 2022 at 08:56:51 BST, "Alan B"
<alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 6 Apr 2022 at 19:04:50 BST, "Alan B"
>> <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>>
>>> Le 6 avril 2022 à 18:46, John Hill a raconté :

>>> On your iMac under Security & Privaces preferences, are Enable Location
>>> Services ticked and under System Services, Details is Find My Mac ticked?
>>
>> Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.
>
> Firewall shouldn’t really be an issue - it’s on here.
>
> You could also check System Prefs -> Internet Accounts -> iCloud -> Find My
> Mac is ticked and then look at the Options therein.

Bingo! That was it.

Clicked it on, and the iMac instantly came up in Find My. I wonder how it came
to be off? Keychain was also off.

I don't remember ever fiddling there… They should have all been on by default,
surely?

Thank you both for taking the trouble to sort this out.

John.

--
Mony a mickle makes a muckle

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2m9d8$2l6$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7602&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7602

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:03:36 -0000 (UTC)
U&VxyY4]sR 0Cwoj."gM#,0AR}|Lx[bvku-1o<yHzB.M`yRkH(,?Ed3&33O@_#B-+<g[3
:X45}X)<NZfI+R"2rL3( w6edB|\DO7wks0SKvSp!tC3nmcONA8x
 by: Alan B - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:03 UTC

Le 7 avril 2022 à 09:52, John Hill a raconté :

> On 7 Apr 2022 at 08:56:51 BST, "Alan B"
> <alanrichardbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>
>> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Yes, both are ticked. Nor does it help to untick them and retick them.
>>
>> Firewall shouldn’t really be an issue - it’s on here.
>>
>> You could also check System Prefs -> Internet Accounts -> iCloud -> Find My
>> Mac is ticked and then look at the Options therein.
>
> Bingo! That was it.
>
> Clicked it on, and the iMac instantly came up in Find My. I wonder how it came
> to be off? Keychain was also off.
>
> I don't remember ever fiddling there… They should have all been on by default,
> surely?

Thinking about it, I seem to recall having to do that when I first got
this MacBook Pro.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2mckq$pj0$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7603&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7603

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:58:50 -0000 (UTC)
U&VxyY4]sR 0Cwoj."gM#,0AR}|Lx[bvku-1o<yHzB.M`yRkH(,?Ed3&33O@_#B-+<g[3
:X45}X)<NZfI+R"2rL3( w6edB|\DO7wks0SKvSp!tC3nmcONA8x
 by: Alan B - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:58 UTC

Le 7 avril 2022 à 10:03, Alan B a écrit :

Le 7 avril 2022 à 09:52, John Hill a raconté :

[snip]
>>> You could also check System Prefs -> Internet Accounts -> iCloud -> Find My
>>> Mac is ticked and then look at the Options therein.
>>
>> Bingo! That was it.
>>
>> Clicked it on, and the iMac instantly came up in Find My. I wonder how it came
>> to be off? Keychain was also off.
>>
>> I don't remember ever fiddling there… They should have all been on by default,
>> surely?
>
> Thinking about it, I seem to recall having to do that when I first got
> this MacBook Pro.

FWIW I've just checked and my MacBook Air was not being 'seen' by Find
My. So I performed the aforementioned changes and it appeared instantly.
As you said, the default seems to be to remain invisible.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<jb9cn4Fc5kfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7617&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7617

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 8 Apr 2022 00:08:04 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 00:08 UTC

On 7 Apr 2022 at 10:58:50 BST, "Alan B"
<alanricharbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> Le 7 avril 2022 à 10:03, Alan B a écrit :
>

> Le 7 avril 2022 à 09:52, John Hill a raconté :
>
> [snip]

>>> Bingo! That was it.
>>>
>>> Clicked it on, and the iMac instantly came up in Find My. I wonder how it came
>>> to be off? Keychain was also off.
>>>
>>> I don't remember ever fiddling there… They should have all been on by default,
>>> surely?
>>
>> Thinking about it, I seem to recall having to do that when I first got
>> this MacBook Pro.
>
> FWIW I've just checked and my MacBook Air was not being 'seen' by Find
> My. So I performed the aforementioned changes and it appeared instantly.
> As you said, the default seems to be to remain invisible.

*Fairly* sure it's a choosable option during initial setup of a new Mac,
alongside crash reporting and siri language samples. Easy to deny them
all...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Don't drag me down to your level, meat."
-- Red Robot #C-63

Re: My iMac's location doesn't show in Find My

<t2okmh$20d$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7621&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7621

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 06:28:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 06:28 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2022 at 10:58:50 BST, "Alan B"
> <alanricharbarker@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>
>> Le 7 avril 2022 à 10:03, Alan B a écrit :
>>

>> Le 7 avril 2022 à 09:52, John Hill a raconté :
>>
>> [snip]

>>> Thinking about it, I seem to recall having to do that when I first got
>>> this MacBook Pro.
>>
>> FWIW I've just checked and my MacBook Air was not being 'seen' by Find
>> My. So I performed the aforementioned changes and it appeared instantly.
>> As you said, the default seems to be to remain invisible.
>
> *Fairly* sure it's a choosable option during initial setup of a new Mac,
> alongside crash reporting and siri language samples. Easy to deny them
> all...

Yes indeed. I’ve now annoyed my wife by testing out the play sound feature
on all my macOS and iOS devices around the house!

--
Cheers, Alan