Do not stamp.

aus+uk / uk.rec.audio / Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1

SubjectAuthor
* Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1Andrew
+- Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1Phil Allison
+* Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1Trevor Wilson
|`- Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`- Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1Don Pearce

1
Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1

<sjka7g$1lgk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=760&group=uk.rec.audio#760

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 15:01:20 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 14:01 UTC

https://www.amptastic.com/

I use one of these with a couple of Phillips 320
computer speakers (circa 2006). The latter were best-buy
computer speakers back then but the original amp has long
gone. The input to the mini-1 is the RCA output from my
Humax HD FOX T2 stb.

It was a lash up at the time of the 2012 Olympics and
mow I need something better.

Google seems to find a few posts from people who say
this amp performs better than many 'proper' amps at many
times the price, but the speakers need to be chosen
carefully. I read a post somewhere where the poster even
uses a DC power supply (?Custom DC2) that must have cost
3 or 4 times what the mini-1 costs, but I don't think I'll
go down that route (yet).

Any suggestions ?.

Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1

<e4f57907-d2fb-4c41-a36c-544e1adf57f0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=761&group=uk.rec.audio#761

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 13:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 20:01 UTC

Andrew wrote:
----------------------
> https://www.amptastic.com/

** Silly toy amplifier.

> I use one of these with a couple of Phillips 320
> computer speakers (circa 2006).

** The Philips FB320 is a large 3-way ???
> Any suggestions ?.

** Don't tempt me...

Maybe keep away from "review" sites - it's all total BS.

..... Phil

Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1

<is6r72Fh9iuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=762&group=uk.rec.audio#762

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 10:53:04 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 23:53 UTC

On 7/10/2021 1:01 am, Andrew wrote:

> https://www.amptastic.com/
>
> I use one of these with a couple of Phillips 320
> computer speakers (circa 2006). The latter were best-buy
> computer speakers back then but the original amp has long
> gone. The input to the mini-1 is the RCA output from my
> Humax HD FOX T2 stb.
>
> It was a lash up at the time of the 2012 Olympics and
> mow I need something better.
>
> Google seems to find a few posts from people who say
> this amp performs better than many 'proper' amps at many
> times the price, but the speakers need to be chosen
> carefully. I read a post somewhere where the poster even
> uses a DC power supply (?Custom DC2) that must have cost
> 3 or 4 times what the mini-1 costs, but I don't think I'll
> go down that route (yet).
>
> Any suggestions ?.

**I agree with Phil. Tripathâ„¢ amplifiers are very clever things. They
were specifically designed for use in TV sets and other products where
efficiency and compact size were the over-riding concerns. They were
never designed to cope with speakers that exhibit anything but a
relatively easy 8 Ohm load. Sonically, they are junk. Anyone claims
otherwise has never listened to a low end Class A/B amp from almost any
manufacturer on the planet.

Buy an old NAD 3020, Pioneer A400, etc and enjoy far better sound
quality and far better low impedance capabilities.

Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1

<sjm8tr$oqb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=763&group=uk.rec.audio#763

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 08:51:19 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 07:51 UTC

Yes, I mean even the old Sinclair amps sounded better than some supplied for
computer speakers which redefined the term basic design.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Trevor Wilson" <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
> On 7/10/2021 1:01 am, Andrew wrote:
>>
>> https://www.amptastic.com/
>>
>> I use one of these with a couple of Phillips 320
>> computer speakers (circa 2006). The latter were best-buy
>> computer speakers back then but the original amp has long
>> gone. The input to the mini-1 is the RCA output from my
>> Humax HD FOX T2 stb.
>>
>> It was a lash up at the time of the 2012 Olympics and
>> mow I need something better.
>>
>> Google seems to find a few posts from people who say
>> this amp performs better than many 'proper' amps at many
>> times the price, but the speakers need to be chosen
>> carefully. I read a post somewhere where the poster even
>> uses a DC power supply (?Custom DC2) that must have cost
>> 3 or 4 times what the mini-1 costs, but I don't think I'll
>> go down that route (yet).
>>
>> Any suggestions ?.
>
> **I agree with Phil. TripathT amplifiers are very clever things. They were
> specifically designed for use in TV sets and other products where
> efficiency and compact size were the over-riding concerns. They were never
> designed to cope with speakers that exhibit anything but a relatively easy
> 8 Ohm load. Sonically, they are junk. Anyone claims otherwise has never
> listened to a low end Class A/B amp from almost any manufacturer on the
> planet.
>
> Buy an old NAD 3020, Pioneer A400, etc and enjoy far better sound quality
> and far better low impedance capabilities.

Re: Speaker advice for Amptastic Mini-1

<615eb9ba.6343656@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=766&group=uk.rec.audio#766

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 09:12:53 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:12 UTC

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 15:01:20 +0100, Andrew
<Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

>https://www.amptastic.com/
>
>I use one of these with a couple of Phillips 320
>computer speakers (circa 2006). The latter were best-buy
>computer speakers back then but the original amp has long
>gone. The input to the mini-1 is the RCA output from my
>Humax HD FOX T2 stb.
>
>It was a lash up at the time of the 2012 Olympics and
>mow I need something better.
>
>Google seems to find a few posts from people who say
>this amp performs better than many 'proper' amps at many
>times the price, but the speakers need to be chosen
>carefully. I read a post somewhere where the poster even
>uses a DC power supply (?Custom DC2) that must have cost
>3 or 4 times what the mini-1 costs, but I don't think I'll
>go down that route (yet).
>
>Any suggestions ?.

I agree with the others. You can buy secondhand decent amps for almost
pennies. As for speakers, I wouldn't go near anything that had
"computer" in the name. Secondhand hi fi speakers are out there in
good quantities.