From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Subject: Optus data breach
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 18:51:09 +1000
 by: Max - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:51 UTC

I am a former Optus customer whose data is compromised in the recent
data breach.

What could criminal people do with my data?

Could they take out a loan in my name and make me liable for the loan?

Could they rack up debts that I could be liable for?

Re: Optus data breach

<op.1tawvvhxbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7641&group=aus.legal#7641

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Subject: Re: Optus data breach
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:05:45 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:05 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote

> I am a former Optus customer whose datais compromised in the recent
> data breach.

SURE you are, Pinocchio.

> What could criminal people do with my data?

Open a bank account, get a new SIM using your ID details.

> Could they take out a loan in my name

Yes.

> and make me liable for the loan?

Nope.

> Could they rack up debts

Yes.

> that I could be liable for?

Nope.

Re: Optus data breach

<jppgklFflpdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7642&group=aus.legal#7642

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 10:41:29 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 00:41 UTC

On 30-Sept-22 6:51 pm, Max wrote:
> I am a former Optus customer whose data is compromised in the recent
> data breach.
>
> What could criminal people do with my data?
>
> Could they take out a loan in my name and make me liable for the loan?

No.

> Could they rack up debts that I could be liable for?

No.

A loan creates a debt, so I'll just refer to debts.

The issue in any litigation would be whether it was "they" who obtained
the incurred a debt, of whether it was you. Even if the underlying fact
is that you did not incur it, evidence might be lead to the effect that
on balance of probability, you did incur it, and then you would be liable.

However, if the evidence that it was you consists of data that could
have been obtained via the Optus hack, and you deny that it was you,
it's hard to see a court finding that the evidence pointed to you on
balance of probability.

Sylvia.

Re: Optus data breach

<t57fjhtm1cth79ie0u5vqfh8up4p09obic@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7644&group=aus.legal#7644

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 11:51:02 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 01:51 UTC

On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 10:41:29 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>On 30-Sept-22 6:51 pm, Max wrote:
>> I am a former Optus customer whose data is compromised in the recent
>> data breach.
>>
>> What could criminal people do with my data?
>>
>> Could they take out a loan in my name and make me liable for the loan?
>
>No.
>

>> Could they rack up debts that I could be liable for?
>
>No.
>
>A loan creates a debt, so I'll just refer to debts.
>
>The issue in any litigation would be whether it was "they" who obtained
>the incurred a debt, of whether it was you. Even if the underlying fact
>is that you did not incur it, evidence might be lead to the effect that
>on balance of probability, you did incur it, and then you would be liable.
>
>However, if the evidence that it was you consists of data that could
>have been obtained via the Optus hack, and you deny that it was you,
>it's hard to see a court finding that the evidence pointed to you on
>balance of probability.
>
>Sylvia.

Surely it's possible to register one's biometrics with banks etc so as
to opt out of queries of suspect identities?

Re: Optus data breach

<op.1tcay60lbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7645&group=aus.legal#7645

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 13:07:44 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 03:07 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote
> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote
>> Max wrote

>>> I am a former Optus customer whose data is compromised in the recent
>>> data breach.
>>>
>>> What could criminal people do with my data?
>>>
>>> Could they take out a loan in my name and make me liable for the loan?
>>
>> No.
>>

>>> Could they rack up debts that I could be liable for?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> A loan creates a debt, so I'll just refer to debts.
>>
>> The issue in any litigation would be whether it was "they" who obtained
>> the incurred a debt, of whether it was you. Even if the underlying fact
>> is that you did not incur it, evidence might be lead to the effect that
>> on balance of probability, you did incur it, and then you would be
>> liable.
>>
>> However, if the evidence that it was you consists of data that could
>> have been obtained via the Optus hack, and you deny that it was you,
>> it's hard to see a court finding that the evidence pointed to you on
>> balance of probability.

> Surely it's possible to register one's biometrics with banks etc so as
> to opt out of queries of suspect identities?

No, no bank does that.

A few like Bank Australia do use voice prints but that
is too new and too untested to be a reliable protection.

Some banks like Westpac do require you to show up
in a physical branch with your drivers license/passport
so they can compare the photo with the person, but
that is about it.

Re: Optus data breach

<jppti3FgvomU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7646&group=aus.legal#7646

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 14:22:00 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 04:22 UTC

On 01-Oct-22 11:51 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 10:41:29 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 30-Sept-22 6:51 pm, Max wrote:
>>> I am a former Optus customer whose data is compromised in the recent
>>> data breach.
>>>
>>> What could criminal people do with my data?
>>>
>>> Could they take out a loan in my name and make me liable for the loan?
>>
>> No.
>>

>>> Could they rack up debts that I could be liable for?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> A loan creates a debt, so I'll just refer to debts.
>>
>> The issue in any litigation would be whether it was "they" who obtained
>> the incurred a debt, of whether it was you. Even if the underlying fact
>> is that you did not incur it, evidence might be lead to the effect that
>> on balance of probability, you did incur it, and then you would be liable.
>>
>> However, if the evidence that it was you consists of data that could
>> have been obtained via the Optus hack, and you deny that it was you,
>> it's hard to see a court finding that the evidence pointed to you on
>> balance of probability.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> Surely it's possible to register one's biometrics with banks etc so as
> to opt out of queries of suspect identities?

One thing you can do is put a ban on credit reports, and this seems a
useful thing to do:

https://www.equifax.com.au/eform/submit/credit-ban/

That way, the moment someone tries to use your identity to obtain any
kind of credit, they'll be blocked provided the credit provider does a
credit check, and you'll be notified.

Not fool-proof, of course, but not worthless either.

Sylvia

aus+uk / aus.legal / Optus data breach