From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Thunderbird spellcheck
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 08:45:43 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 07:45 UTC

I just typed 'Aldebugrh' instead of 'Aldeburgh'. The TB spellcheck
correctly flagged it up, but then only suggested 'Aldebaran' as an
alternative. Although I like Aldeburgh, I don't think it has
the brilliance of Aldebaran, But when I corrected my mistake, it
already knew about 'Aldeburgh', but it didn't suggest it. Weird.
This is on Claws-mail, and it also does not recognise 'Aldeburgh'.
Strange.

--
Davey.

Re: Thunderbird spellcheck

<tidn67$2ittu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=766&group=uk.comp.os.linux#766

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Thunderbird spellcheck
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:23:49 +0100
 by: Pancho - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 07:23 UTC

On 14/10/2022 08:45, Davey wrote:
> I just typed 'Aldebugrh' instead of 'Aldeburgh'. The TB spellcheck
> correctly flagged it up, but then only suggested 'Aldebaran' as an
> alternative. Although I like Aldeburgh, I don't think it has
> the brilliance of Aldebaran, But when I corrected my mistake, it
> already knew about 'Aldeburgh', but it didn't suggest it. Weird.
> This is on Claws-mail, and it also does not recognise 'Aldeburgh'.
> Strange.

Google gives 11,000,000 hits for Aldebaran, but only 2,700,000 for
Aldeburgh. I'd never heard of Aldeburgh, despite living close enough to
have cycled to Dunwich and Clacton in the last few months.

So perhaps the spell checker is giving the result it thinks most people
would be interested in, result star quality so to speak.

Re: Thunderbird spellcheck

<tidplo$2k0m3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=767&group=uk.comp.os.linux#767

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:06:16 +0100
 by: Davey - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:06 UTC

On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:23:49 +0100
Pancho <Pancho.Jones@proton.me> wrote:

> On 14/10/2022 08:45, Davey wrote:
> > I just typed 'Aldebugrh' instead of 'Aldeburgh'. The TB spellcheck
> > correctly flagged it up, but then only suggested 'Aldebaran' as an
> > alternative. Although I like Aldeburgh, I don't think it has
> > the brilliance of Aldebaran, But when I corrected my mistake, it
> > already knew about 'Aldeburgh', but it didn't suggest it. Weird.
> > This is on Claws-mail, and it also does not recognise 'Aldeburgh'.
> > Strange.
> >

> Google gives 11,000,000 hits for Aldebaran, but only 2,700,000 for
> Aldeburgh. I'd never heard of Aldeburgh, despite living close enough
> to have cycled to Dunwich and Clacton in the last few months.
>
> So perhaps the spell checker is giving the result it thinks most
> people would be interested in, result star quality so to speak.

Aldeburgh is best known as the home of the composer Benjamin Britten,
and was also the home of the author Laurens van der Post, where he did
much of his writing. There were, of course, others, such as Elizabeth
Garrett Anderson. Nearby Snape is the host venue for the annual
Aldeburgh Festival.

And equally importantly, it is where my parents retired to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldeburgh#History

--
Davey.

Re: Thunderbird spellcheck

<jqv9gaF4ffbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=768&group=uk.comp.os.linux#768

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:32:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:32 UTC

Pancho wrote:

> Google gives 11,000,000 hits for Aldebaran, but only 2,700,000 for Aldeburgh.
> I'd never heard of Aldeburgh, despite living close enough to have cycled to
> Dunwich and Clacton in the last few months.
>
> So perhaps the spell checker is giving the result it thinks most people would be
> interested in, result star quality so to speak.

I doubt a spell-checker consults a search engine for popularity of alternative
spellings, more likely to suggest spellings with the shorter "distance" between them

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenshtein_distance>

Re: Thunderbird spellcheck

<tidsj8$2kahk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=769&group=uk.comp.os.linux#769

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:56:07 +0100
 by: Pancho - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:56 UTC

On 15/10/2022 09:32, Andy Burns wrote:
> Pancho wrote:
>
>> Google gives 11,000,000 hits for Aldebaran, but only 2,700,000 for
>> Aldeburgh. I'd never heard of Aldeburgh, despite living close enough
>> to have cycled to Dunwich and Clacton in the last few months.
>>
>> So perhaps the spell checker is giving the result it thinks most
>> people would be interested in, result star quality so to speak.
>
> I doubt a spell-checker consults a search engine for popularity of
> alternative spellings, more likely to suggest spellings with the shorter
> "distance" between them
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenshtein_distance>

Yeahbut...

Levenshtein_distance( Aldebugrh, Aldeburgh) = 2
Levenshtein_distance( Aldebugrh, Aldebaran) = 4

<https://planetcalc.com/1721/>

Re: Thunderbird spellcheck

<VA.00000db0.0055b0c7@me.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=781&group=uk.comp.os.linux#781

From: dan...@me.invalid (Daniel James)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 16:39:50 +0100
 by: Daniel James - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:39 UTC

In article <tib437$21nvh$1@dont-email.me>, Davey wrote:
> I just typed 'Aldebugrh' instead of 'Aldeburgh'. The TB spellcheck
> correctly flagged it up, but then only suggested 'Aldebaran' as an
> alternative.

What gets suggested will depend on the spellchecker software (TB uses
MySpell) and the dictionary. I ran 'Aldebugrh' through GNU ASpell --
which is not the same thing, of course -- and it suggested:

Aldebaran
Elderberry
Albacore
Ultrahigh
Albacores

I'd have hoped that more than one of those would also be in MySpell's
dictionary, but perhaps not.

> But when I corrected my mistake, it already knew about 'Aldeburgh',
> but it didn't suggest it. Weird.

I suspect 'Aldeburgh' is known because you've added it in the past. The
'suggestion' function of the spellchecker may only work using the
built-in dictionary.

> This is on Claws-mail, and it also does not recognise 'Aldeburgh'.

You can't expect every small town in Suffolk to appear in a
spellchecker dictionary -- even a UK English dictionary.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.