Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Laser launch back again

SubjectAuthor
* Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
`* Laser launch back againBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 +* Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
 |`* Laser launch back againBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 | +* Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
 | |`* Laser launch back againChrisND@privacy.net
 | | +* Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
 | | |`* Laser launch back againMike Fleming
 | | | `- Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
 | | `* Laser launch back againPancho
 | |  `* Laser launch back againChrisND @UKRM
 | |   `- Laser launch back againRustyHinge
 | `- Laser launch back againJonathan Harston
 `* Laser launch back againPancho
  +* Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |`* Laser launch back againPancho
  | +- Laser launch back againRustyHinge
  | +* Laser launch back againRustyHinge
  | |`- Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
  | +* Laser launch back againNick Odell
  | |`* Laser launch back againSam Plusnet
  | | `- Laser launch back againNicholas D. Richards
  | +- Laser launch back againPeter
  | +* Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
  | |+* Laser launch back againTease'n'Seize
  | ||`* Laser launch back againRustyHinge
  | || `* Laser launch back againNicholas D. Richards
  | ||  `- Laser launch back againNick Odell
  | |`* Laser launch back againSam Plusnet
  | | `- Laser launch back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
  | `- Laser launch back againBernard Peek
  `* Laser launch back againNicholas D. Richards
   `- Laser launch back againmaus

Pages:12
Re: Laser launch back again

<p3a51h5i80llb1at9659dj0o7092rudbmi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7653&group=uk.rec.sheds#7653

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Laser launch back again
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:52:14 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:52 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:37:51 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
<nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

>In article <sutnfb$jlk$2@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.
>girolle.co.uk> on Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at 15:41:31 awoke Nicholas from his
>slumbers and wrote

>>> Not for agesnages.
>>
>>Nor I.
>>
>>I do hope he's OK
>>
>He still appears to be a member of staff at Brunel University, at least
>he is listed there, with (the same) e-mail address and building
>location.
>
>The last posting that I can find is on 28 July 2019. Earlier in the year
>he was writing about cataracts and macular degeneration and previously I
>think he had detached retinas. I dunno if this might have something to
>do with it, or he just had enough of us old codgers. Not sure how old he
>is, but when he posted a photograph of himself he look as if he
>qualified for the epithet "old codger".

I'm probably wrong but, wasn't he talking about visiting home? Given
the propensity of countries whose names start and end with the letter
"A" to lock up their inhabitants for indefinite periods in the time of
Covid, I'd say that even a short visit might have turned out to be far
longer than expected and both incoming and outgoing electrons in
usenet posts probably have to be certified as having three
vaccinations and two certificates before they are allowed to go
anywhere.

Nick

Re: Laser launch back again

<NgyQJ.47853$alu7.19872@fx01.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7654&group=uk.rec.sheds#7654

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:20:45 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:20 UTC

On 20-Feb-22 11:32, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:02:19 +0000, Pancho
> <Pancho.Dontmaileme@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19/02/2022 12:27, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

>>> Beam divergence is a function (inverse) of aperture size and
>>> they're playing synthetic aperture games on a ten metre scale, you probably
>>> had an aperture of about a millimetre. They'll get a *much* tighter beam.
>>>

>> I suppose I should try and understand that, because I don't.
>>
>> It seems to me that lots of little lasers focused to a small, distant
>> area would still lose power quickly. So to work you need not only a big
>> aperture, but a big target, but I could easily be wrong I'm not a physicist.
>>
>> I actually came to the group after the storm, because I was wondering
>> about my poor old shed, that I maybe didn't treat quite as good as I
>> should have. You know, little things I should have said and done, I
>> just never took the time.
>
> Still, at least it was always on your mind.
>
> I'm wondering about your shed: is it currently neatly distributed
> amongst your neighbours' gardens or is it still up in the air
> somewhere thinking "I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."?

Not a shed, but the local BBC news has a rather nice photo of a garden
trampoline sailing majestically above some garden trees.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Laser launch back again

<LlyQJ.233790$_5r7.222043@fx09.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7655&group=uk.rec.sheds#7655

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:26:03 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:26 UTC

On 20-Feb-22 12:37, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:02:19 +0000
> Pancho <Pancho.Dontmaileme@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19/02/2022 12:27, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

>>> Beam divergence is a function (inverse) of aperture size and
>>> they're playing synthetic aperture games on a ten metre scale, you
>>> probably had an aperture of about a millimetre. They'll get a *much*
>>> tighter beam.
>>>

>> I suppose I should try and understand that, because I don't.
>
> Synthetic aperture is weird.
>
>> It seems to me that lots of little lasers focused to a small, distant
>> area would still lose power quickly. So to work you need not only a big
>> aperture, but a big target, but I could easily be wrong I'm not a
>> physicist.
>
> We used to have a real physicist in ye shedde - anyone seen Ivan ?
>
> Anyway, if you just took a bunch of little lasers and pointed them
> up at the sky you would indeed get a big beam that diverged just as much as
> each individual laser.
>
> The trick with synthetic aperture is to adjust the phase and
> direction of each point so that the combined beam acts as though it was a
> single distant point source being focussed by a ten metre parabolic lens -
> *all* it takes is working out what the phase and direction would be at each
> point if that were so and setting it up in real time at infrared
> frequencies. On that scale and on those wavelengths there's either a very
> rigid structure holding the lasers or some *really* fancy realtime vibration
> compensation going on to pull it off - probably the latter.

I still think the distortion and adsorption in the atmosphere would be
the thing wot stops it jbexing.

"Don't bother switching the laser on. It's cloudy."

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Laser launch back again

<eDQ4I4A3V7EiFAxR@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7665&group=uk.rec.sheds#7665

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:53:27 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:53 UTC

In article <suqjgl$ltb$1@dont-email.me>, Pancho <Pancho.Dontmaileme@outl
ook.com> on Sat, 19 Feb 2022 at 11:15:32 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 11/02/2022 09:56, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> Yes especially since you will heat the atmosphere or in a vacuum you start
>> to hit quantum effects that still means you cannot focus your beam properly.
>> I often wonder where these ideas come from? Is it frustration about the
>> speed of light or what?
>> This speed of light thing seems to me to be a very curious thing.
>> The limit is mainly put there by the effective mass of accelerating
>> matter, and as photons are light, and have little mass, getting them to go
>> faster would be difficult. It almost points to the universe having a
>> processor whose speed is artificially governing the environment. If there
>> really is a multiverse, might there be one with a different speed of light?
>> Brian
>>

>Laser beams diverge pretty quickly. I found this out trying to level a
>floor. It's about 1m per km. So presumably these lasers only work at
>close range, unless you have a huge light sail.

AIUI, there are many types of laser and the divergence is partly a
factor of the design. Another factor must be dust in the atmosphere,
which will either absorb the photons or reflect/refract them.

I understand that the lasers used by the folks who use them to measure
the distance of earth to the moon are designed for that purpose. The
beam has a diameter of 6.5km by the time it reaches the moon (although I
have read a different size (50km) elsewhere. Whichever is the case that
is better than 1cm in 1km.

The result is that on average 1 photon is mirrored back into the
receptor on earth.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Laser launch back again

<0z4yEGBUg7EiFAWS@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7666&group=uk.rec.sheds#7666

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:04:36 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:04 UTC

In article <NgyQJ.47853$alu7.19872@fx01.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at 21:20:45 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 20-Feb-22 11:32, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:02:19 +0000, Pancho
>> <Pancho.Dontmaileme@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> I suppose I should try and understand that, because I don't.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that lots of little lasers focused to a small, distant
>>> area would still lose power quickly. So to work you need not only a big
>>> aperture, but a big target, but I could easily be wrong I'm not a physicist.
>>>
>>> I actually came to the group after the storm, because I was wondering
>>> about my poor old shed, that I maybe didn't treat quite as good as I
>>> should have. You know, little things I should have said and done, I
>>> just never took the time.
>>
>> Still, at least it was always on your mind.
>>
>> I'm wondering about your shed: is it currently neatly distributed
>> amongst your neighbours' gardens or is it still up in the air
>> somewhere thinking "I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."?
>>

>Not a shed, but the local BBC news has a rather nice photo of a garden
>trampoline sailing majestically above some garden trees.

It had to be a trampoline as it was not in Kansas and little girls in
silver slippers (or should it be ruby sequinned slippers?) have gone out
of fashion.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Laser launch back again

<slrnt17lnp.de3.maus@dmaus.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7668&group=uk.rec.sheds#7668

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Feb 2022 18:16:25 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:16 UTC

On 2022-02-21, Nicholas D. Richards <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <suqjgl$ltb$1@dont-email.me>, Pancho <Pancho.Dontmaileme@outl
> ook.com> on Sat, 19 Feb 2022 at 11:15:32 awoke Nicholas from his
> slumbers and wrote
>
> The result is that on average 1 photon is mirrored back into the
> receptor on earth.

I remember a puff piece about lasers as weapons from an american company
years ago. A doubther pointed out that the target was painted vivid red.

--
greymausg@mail.com
That's not a mousehole!

Re: Laser launch back again

<20220221180725.209dedc7eb7aa276916f8068@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7669&group=uk.rec.sheds#7669

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:07:25 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:07 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:26:03 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> I still think the distortion and adsorption in the atmosphere would be
> the thing wot stops it jbexing.

Little lasers like the US Navy's 60 kilowatt HELIOS have an
effective range of five miles for making holes in flying things - it's
pretty much a scale model of a launching laser. They seem to jbex.

> "Don't bother switching the laser on. It's cloudy."

That is not a joke - dust and fog do terrible things to lasers.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Laser launch back again

<d749e472-db4e-4927-9d7a-e8cff49114a5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7695&group=uk.rec.sheds#7695

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:32:06 -0800 (PST)
From: jgh...@mdfs.net (Jonathan Harston)
 by: Jonathan Harston - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 17:32 UTC

Brian Gaff on his Sofa wrote:
> Yes heard that before, but the problem I have is if they have no mass, how
> come we can detect them at all.

You detect them by bouncing them off something, as Einstein got his Nobel
for explaining. And his later work shows the *thwack!* is related to the
energy, which is an expression of the frequency.

jgh