job Placement, n.: Telling your boss what he can do with your job.

aus+uk / uk.food+drink.misc / Re: Turkey Parson ?

SubjectAuthor
* Turkey Parson ?Brian
+* Re: Turkey Parson ?Malcolm Loades
|+* Re: Turkey Parson ?Chris Green
||`* Re: Turkey Parson ?Graham
|| +* Re: Turkey Parson ?Malcolm Loades
|| |+- Re: Turkey Parson ?Graham
|| |`* Re: Turkey Parson ?Judith in France
|| | `* Re: Turkey Parson ?Judith in France
|| |  `* Re: Turkey Parson ?Malcolm Loades
|| |   `- Re: Turkey Parson ?Judith in France
|| +* Re: Turkey Parson ?Chris Green
|| |+- Re: Turkey Parson ?Graham
|| |`* Re: Turkey Parson ?Brian
|| | +* Re: Turkey Parson ?Chris Green
|| | +- Re: Turkey Parson ?Graham
|| | `* Re: Turkey Parson ?Judith in France
|| |  `* Re: Turkey Parson ?Brian
|| |   `* Re: Turkey Parson ?Malcolm Loades
|| |    `- Re: Turkey Parson ?Judith in France
|| `- Re: Turkey Parson ?Brian
|`* Re: Turkey Parson ?Brian
| +* Re: Turkey Parson ?Malcolm Loades
| |`* Re: Turkey Parson ?Brian
| | `* Re: Turkey Parson ?Malcolm Loades
| |  `- Re: Turkey Parson ?Brian
| `* Re: Turkey Parson ?Graham
|  `- Re: Turkey Parson ?Brian
`* Re: Turkey Parson ?Judith in France
 `* Re: Turkey Parson ?Brian
  `- Re: Turkey Parson ?Judith in France

Pages:12
Re: Turkey Parson ?

<d99c0b96-bfb8-4447-affc-4cf528ada4a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=53&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#53

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 04:02:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Turkey Parson ?
From: judith.l...@googlemail.com (Judith in France)
 by: Judith in France - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 12:02 UTC

On Thursday, 30 December 2021 at 10:28:41 UTC, Malcolm Loades wrote:
> On 29/12/2021 21:38, Judith in France wrote:
> >
> > I must change my name, I am no longer in France, I came back 4 years ago when I was widowed.
> >
> Nice to see you still have access to usenet. No problem with 'in
> France', change it later if it's easy for you.
>
> Let's hope this small revival of uk.food+drink.misc isn't just a last gasp!
>
> Malcolm

I hope it returns I got a lot of great advice and interaction on this site.

Re: Turkey Parson ?

<sql42h$60s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#65

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:16:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GHwiEUMu+6wy+2agV0kuzLPJ+OM=
 by: Brian - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:16 UTC

Judith in France <judith.lea99@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 December 2021 at 23:46:10 UTC, Brian wrote:
>> Perhaps 40 years ago, I say one of the TV chefs - I’m THINK it was the
>> great Keith Floyd- show how to make a very simple curry dish he called a
>> Parson from left over Turkey. It used onions, curry powder, cornflour to
>> thicken, and milk, besides the left over Turkey. He suggested adding
>> sultanas as an option. It looks like a Korma and is similar - a mild,
>> light coloured, curry.
>>
>> For years it was a regular on our menu rota over the Xmas break - I’m not
>> sure why or when it dropped off.
>>
>> The Parson recipe came to mind this evening but I wasn’t sure of the
>> origins. As above, I believe it was Keith Floyd and he said it was a
>> Victorian recipe.
>>
>> Google hasn’t helped and I know Turkey wasn’t popular as a Xmas meal here
>> until the 1950s / 60s. That makes the Victorian claim unlikely.
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on this minor mystery?
>
> Have you read Parson Woodfords@ diary? He talks about food a lot and
> particularly about curry using leftovers?

No, he isn’t someone I’ve heard of.

That said, I’m wondering if perhaps my memory is playing tricks. Perhaps
Keith Floyd ( assuming it was him who I remember making it) referred to him
and his diary. It was 4 decades ago.

Re: Turkey Parson ?

<sql42i$60s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#66

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:16:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:TeChFjHDTQqfU6j4WbngD8p20b4=
 by: Brian - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:16 UTC

Judith in France <judith.lea99@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 December 2021 at 18:29:20 UTC, Brian wrote:
>> Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

>>> Weird, I doubt if I can tell the difference and curries need a good
>>> long guggle anyway. We do this to all sorts of meat, lamb (usually
>>> shoulder), beef (not very often), pork (often at the moment as it's so
>>> cheap), chicken (quite often). I think the lamb *does* taste a little
>>> different second time around but different most certainly isn't worse,
>>> just different.
>>>
>> I often cook forward- a throw back to the days when we both worked, plus I
>> like stews, curries etc. - and bulk cook beef or pork based stews etc and
>> freeze them. Ditto Coq au Vin and a few other things. Plus soups -
>> especially Turkey and Chicken. We certainly find they taste more than
>> acceptable when reheated.
>>
>> I also use cooked roast Turkey (or chicken) which has been frozen and
>> defrosted in stir fries and curries.
>>
>> The one meat I don’t find responds well to reheating is roast lamb. It goes
>> tough / chewy. Perhaps there is a technique I don’t know.
>
> I mince it and make it into Shephers' Pie.

On one of Rick Steins programmes in France, he showed a chicken version of
shepherds pie made with cooked chicken and tomatoes. I’ve made it with
Turkey. I think it is called Chicken Parmetiere.

Re: Turkey Parson ?

<j36jcjF5mthU13@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=67&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#67

From: devn...@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:33:23 +0000
 by: Malcolm Loades - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:33 UTC

On 30/12/2021 20:16, Brian wrote:
> On one of Rick Steins programmes in France, he showed a chicken version of
> shepherds pie made with cooked chicken and tomatoes. I’ve made it with
> Turkey. I think it is called Chicken Parmetier.

Parmentier indicates that the dish is based on or includes potatoes.
Derived from Antoine Parmentier who introduced the potato to France.

I guess that would be Chicken Raleigh in English if we followed the same
convention.

Malcolm

Re: Turkey Parson ?

<4a8e6f19-b886-446d-b18f-7c8afa10feben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#76

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 04:15:25 -0800 (PST)
From: judith.l...@googlemail.com (Judith in France)
 by: Judith in France - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 12:15 UTC

On Thursday, 30 December 2021 at 20:16:19 UTC, Brian wrote:
> Judith in France <judith...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 22 December 2021 at 23:46:10 UTC, Brian wrote:
> >> Perhaps 40 years ago, I say one of the TV chefs - I’m THINK it was the
> >> great Keith Floyd- show how to make a very simple curry dish he called a
> >> Parson from left over Turkey. It used onions, curry powder, cornflour to
> >> thicken, and milk, besides the left over Turkey. He suggested adding
> >> sultanas as an option. It looks like a Korma and is similar - a mild,
> >> light coloured, curry.
> >>
> >> For years it was a regular on our menu rota over the Xmas break - I’m not
> >> sure why or when it dropped off.
> >>
> >> The Parson recipe came to mind this evening but I wasn’t sure of the
> >> origins. As above, I believe it was Keith Floyd and he said it was a
> >> Victorian recipe.
> >>
> >> Google hasn’t helped and I know Turkey wasn’t popular as a Xmas meal here
> >> until the 1950s / 60s. That makes the Victorian claim unlikely.
> >>
> >> Can anyone shed any light on this minor mystery?
> >
> > Have you read Parson Woodfords@ diary? He talks about food a lot and
> > particularly about curry using leftovers?
> >
> No, he isn’t someone I’ve heard of.
>
> That said, I’m wondering if perhaps my memory is playing tricks. Perhaps
> Keith Floyd ( assuming it was him who I remember making it) referred to him
> and his diary. It was 4 decades ago.

Parson Woodford was alive during Victorian times, his diary makes great reading, I must read it again.

Re: Turkey Parson ?

<ea0adde1-2607-4e3b-93a9-faa07c93eacbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#77

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 04:16:30 -0800 (PST)
From: judith.l...@googlemail.com (Judith in France)
 by: Judith in France - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 12:16 UTC

On Thursday, 30 December 2021 at 20:33:25 UTC, Malcolm Loades wrote:
> On 30/12/2021 20:16, Brian wrote:
> > On one of Rick Steins programmes in France, he showed a chicken version of
> > shepherds pie made with cooked chicken and tomatoes. I’ve made it with
> > Turkey. I think it is called Chicken Parmetier.
>
> Parmentier indicates that the dish is based on or includes potatoes.
> Derived from Antoine Parmentier who introduced the potato to France.
>
> I guess that would be Chicken Raleigh in English if we followed the same
> convention.
>
> Malcolm

Living in France I was used to parmentier but never liked it, it was usually made with beef in the Auvergne and was a bit like corned beef hash.