From: Jaw...@draftops.com
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Good example of totally fake website
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 13:46:40 +1000
 by: Jaw...@draftops.com - Thu, 22 Apr 2021 03:46 UTC

Scam site.

https://amanifarming.com/

Re: Good example of totally fake website

<0unb8g14h8siofiunoj9107o5efa3d9q2i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=742&group=aus.computers#742

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Good example of totally fake website
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 07:39:02 +1000
 by: John_H - Sun, 25 Apr 2021 21:39 UTC

Jawa@draftops.com wrote:

>Scam site.
>
>https://amanifarming.com/

Interesting.

Gotta wonder how folks fall for these scams and apparently quite a few
do. The two addresses that appear (Vic & WA) both belong to others
while the phone number has an SA area code (08).

However the ABN checks out (registered in NSW)!

AFAIK you need to provide a tax file number to obtain an ABN which
means the perp should be traceable... or doesn't anyone at the
Australian Business Register (ABR) check to see if the TFN is legit?

--
John H

Re: Good example of totally fake website

<1g9f8glusjabjtgt0q5oktv8k5ue4557i5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=768&group=aus.computers#768

From: Jaw...@draftops.com
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:12:19 +1000
 by: Jaw...@draftops.com - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 06:12 UTC

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 07:39:02 +1000, John_H <john4271@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Jawa@draftops.com wrote:
>
>>Scam site.
>>
>>https://amanifarming.com/
>
>Interesting.
>
>Gotta wonder how folks fall for these scams and apparently quite a few
>do. The two addresses that appear (Vic & WA) both belong to others
>while the phone number has an SA area code (08).
>
>However the ABN checks out (registered in NSW)!
>
>AFAIK you need to provide a tax file number to obtain an ABN which
>means the perp should be traceable... or doesn't anyone at the
>Australian Business Register (ABR) check to see if the TFN is legit?

Yes, the address in North Bendigo is actually Holman Engineering, and
the so called 'showroom' in Derby WA is the service entrance to Derby
Hospital. The web site was quite professional looking, and my son, who
has been looking for some farming equipment, just happened across the
site and immediately smelled a rat. He thought he would call them just
to stir the pot a bit. The call sounded like it was transferred twice,
and eventually it was answered by a guy with a strong Indian accent.
He didn't know where the Darling Downs was and had not even heard of
Queensland. You would think that given the work put into the web site,
they could have hired an Aussie con man to take the calls. Even the
most gullible hay seed would see the scam immediately. My son said the
audio sounded like it was on Skype.The Farmers Federation has quite a
bit of info about these scams, and apparently there are numerous ones
using the same bare bones web template, and just alter relevant data.
They are usually abandoned after a few days.

Re: Good example of totally fake website

<k23h8gdshepkv05o7nu5pr6mun7vefgp0d@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=769&group=aus.computers#769

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 08:26:05 +1000
 by: John_H - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 22:26 UTC

Jawa@draftops.com wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 07:39:02 +1000, John_H <john4271@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Jawa@draftops.com wrote:
>>
>>>Scam site.
>>>
>>>https://amanifarming.com/
>>
>>Interesting.
>>
>>Gotta wonder how folks fall for these scams and apparently quite a few
>>do. The two addresses that appear (Vic & WA) both belong to others
>>while the phone number has an SA area code (08).
>>
>>However the ABN checks out (registered in NSW)!
>>
>>AFAIK you need to provide a tax file number to obtain an ABN which
>>means the perp should be traceable... or doesn't anyone at the
>>Australian Business Register (ABR) check to see if the TFN is legit?
>
>Yes, the address in North Bendigo is actually Holman Engineering, and
>the so called 'showroom' in Derby WA is the service entrance to Derby
>Hospital. The web site was quite professional looking, and my son, who
>has been looking for some farming equipment, just happened across the
>site and immediately smelled a rat. He thought he would call them just
>to stir the pot a bit. The call sounded like it was transferred twice,
>and eventually it was answered by a guy with a strong Indian accent.
>He didn't know where the Darling Downs was and had not even heard of
>Queensland. You would think that given the work put into the web site,
>they could have hired an Aussie con man to take the calls. Even the
>most gullible hay seed would see the scam immediately. My son said the
>audio sounded like it was on Skype.The Farmers Federation has quite a
>bit of info about these scams, and apparently there are numerous ones
>using the same bare bones web template, and just alter relevant data.
>They are usually abandoned after a few days.

Their gear is also ridiculously underpriced, but I'm still wondering
about their ABN (and ACN) which comes up as a legitimate on an ABR ABN
search. Nor does it appear to be stolen as it's registered to an
address in Bankstown and there's no other business there trading under
that name (according to Yellow Pages) or anywhere else for that
matter.

The question being... how does a scammer who can't be traced obtain a
company ABN?

--
John H

Re: Good example of totally fake website

<s6be08$86p$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=771&group=aus.computers#771

From: new...@woa.com.au (News 2021)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 10:39:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: News 2021 - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 10:39 UTC

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 08:26:05 +1000, John_H scribed:

> Their gear is also ridiculously underpriced, but I'm still wondering
> about their ABN (and ACN) which comes up as a legitimate on an ABR ABN
> search. Nor does it appear to be stolen as it's registered to an
> address in Bankstown and there's no other business there trading under
> that name (according to Yellow Pages) or anywhere else for that matter.
>
> The question being... how does a scammer who can't be traced obtain a
> company ABN?

Any bozo with a TFN can get a ABN. That just gives them access to the GST
system, aka get the gst paid on purchases(if ny) refunded.

You can look up the ACN registration and returns filed(if any), but if it
goes through an accountant or solicitor, you might get no info.

As people found out with Melissa Craddick, the numbers quoted might no be
their own.