Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 14:29:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Mains power voltage drop to reduce usage?
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 22:29 UTC

On Monday, 14 November 2022 at 12:40:11 UTC, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-11-14 01:27, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:07:43 -0000, SteveW <st...@walker-family.me.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> The highest efficiency gas fired power station is aroung 62% efficient..
> >> Then there are 5% transmission losses.
> >>
> >> A condensing gas boiler is over 90% efficient.
> >
> > Then why don't they make the power station like the boiler?
> Because the exhaust gasses can not be colder than the hot water output.

A crossflow heat exchnager can get the exhauset gases down to approx the temp of the returning primary water, which is well below the primary boiler output temp.

There are also ways to take this further, like routing the semiwarm exhaust across the bottom of the HW cylinder, or through a single radiator used to extract this last bit only.

> For heating a house 60°C or less is good. For hot water, 45°C is enough.
> For a power station, you need to boil the water at elevated pressures.

More heat extraction makes sense at power stations, as it's far more power run more of the time.