Please help keep the world clean: others may wish to use it.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

SubjectAuthor
* 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyJNugent
+* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babySpike
|`* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyPeter Keller
| +* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyMike Collins
| |+* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babySpike
| ||+* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyMike Collins
| ||`* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyJNugent
| || +* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babySpike
| || `* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyMike Collins
| ||  +- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyJNugent
| ||  +* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyswldx...@gmail.com
| ||  |+* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babySpike
| ||  ||`- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyMike Collins
| ||  |`- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyJNugent
| ||  `* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyTMS320
| ||   `* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babySpike
| ||    `- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyTMS320
| |`- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyJNugent
+* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyJNugent
|`* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyswldx...@gmail.com
| `* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babySpike
|  `* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyJNugent
|   `- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babySpike
+- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babySpike
 `- Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take babyswldx...@gmail.com

Pages:12
'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<d87b76e0-6fe8-4131-8a65-8c2bc0a285cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7794&group=uk.rec.cycling#7794

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 09:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby
about by bike
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:46 UTC

Petrol prices have rocketed and running and maintaining a car is more expensive than ever before - but one savvy dad is beating the system by ferrying two of his four children around on his long tail cargo bike. The bike can carry one adult and two children and dad-of-four Sam Easterby-Smith from Withington is saving a packet by leaving the car at home and using his other set of wheels instead.

Software engineer Sam, who has two young children Poppy, one, and Aline, six and two teenagers Laurel, 15 and Cassie, 13, says transporting his younger children around in the car is not only cheaper - it is environmentally friendly too. Sam says: "It's my substitute Range Rover. To some extent it is about saving money and I do have a car. I do the vast amount of my journeys by bike - it's more environmentally sound and you don't have to sit in queues of traffic."

The school run is done by bike and stay at home dad Sam says he is not the only one dropping the kids off that way, instead of using the family car. "There is at least one other family on my school run who do it too, " he says. "When you do it yourself, you notice if other people do as well."

"My car mostly sits parked up on the road - to the extent that it occasionally has needed jump starting due to lack of use. The garage tuts at me every time I take it for its MOT and says I should drive it more. That said, every now and then there comes a journey which we just wouldn't be able to feasibly do without a car - seeing family in the Scottish Borders would be one, or try getting to Chester Zoo by public transport, it's possible but takes FOREVER. But for the day to day stuff, we don't touch it."

Sam says saving money on the cost of living crisis is an added bonus to an already long list of benefits - some of which motorists may not have thought of. The components are all things cyclists can just buy off the peg and Sam says he wouldn't hesitate to encourage other motorists to leave the car in the garage and get cycling.

He says: "Just being able to get on the bike on a cold morning and you don't have to wait for it to de-mist is great. You can go right up to where you are going and just park up. There's no looking for parking spaces and you don't get stuck in traffic."

"The wind in your hair feels really nice and even if it is raining, it's OK," Sam adds. "You can just put a coat on and humans are waterproof. You just have to find routes that you are comfortable with.

"I'm seriously considering giving up having a car of our own and renting when we need - possibly joining a car club. It would make sense not to have to be paying for tax, insurance and maintenance all the time. And then, we are seriously talking about getting a second cargo bike. I could not recommend it enough."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/no-looking-parking-never-stuck-23470289#comments-wrapper

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<jauptgFapjaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7800&group=uk.rec.cycling#7800

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 00:45:52 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 23:45 UTC

> Petrol prices have rocketed and running and maintaining a car is more expensive than ever before - but one savvy dad is beating the system by ferrying two of his four children around on his long tail cargo bike. The bike can carry one adult and two children and dad-of-four Sam Easterby-Smith from Withington is saving a packet by leaving the car at home and using his other set of wheels instead.
>
> Software engineer Sam, who has two young children Poppy, one, and Aline, six and two teenagers Laurel, 15 and Cassie, 13, says transporting his younger children around in the car is not only cheaper - it is environmentally friendly too. Sam says: "It's my substitute Range Rover. To some extent it is about saving money and I do have a car. I do the vast amount of my journeys by bike - it's more environmentally sound and you don't have to sit in queues of traffic."
>
> The school run is done by bike and stay at home dad Sam says he is not the only one dropping the kids off that way, instead of using the family car. "There is at least one other family on my school run who do it too, " he says. "When you do it yourself, you notice if other people do as well."
>
> "My car mostly sits parked up on the road - to the extent that it occasionally has needed jump starting due to lack of use. The garage tuts at me every time I take it for its MOT and says I should drive it more. That said, every now and then there comes a journey which we just wouldn't be able to feasibly do without a car - seeing family in the Scottish Borders would be one, or try getting to Chester Zoo by public transport, it's possible but takes FOREVER. But for the day to day stuff, we don't touch it."
>
> Sam says saving money on the cost of living crisis is an added bonus to an already long list of benefits - some of which motorists may not have thought of. The components are all things cyclists can just buy off the peg and Sam says he wouldn't hesitate to encourage other motorists to leave the car in the garage and get cycling.
>
> He says: "Just being able to get on the bike on a cold morning and you don't have to wait for it to de-mist is great. You can go right up to where you are going and just park up. There's no looking for parking spaces and you don't get stuck in traffic."
>
> "The wind in your hair feels really nice and even if it is raining, it's OK," Sam adds. "You can just put a coat on and humans are waterproof. You just have to find routes that you are comfortable with.
>
> "I'm seriously considering giving up having a car of our own and renting when we need - possibly joining a car club.

Oh, right...

Has he done it?

[delete as appropriate:]

No...

No...

No...

> It would make sense not to have to be paying for tax, insurance and maintenance all the time. And then, we are seriously talking about getting a second cargo bike. I could not recommend it enough."

Has he done it?

> https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/no-looking-parking-never-stuck-23470289#comments-wrapper

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<t2ebe8$1iuk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7801&group=uk.rec.cycling#7801

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:49:13 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:49 UTC

On 03/04/2022 16:46, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Petrol prices have rocketed and running and maintaining a car is more expensive than ever before - but one savvy dad is beating the system by ferrying two of his four children around on his long tail cargo bike. The bike can carry one adult and two children and dad-of-four Sam Easterby-Smith from Withington is saving a packet by leaving the car at home and using his other set of wheels instead.

He should be done for child endangerment.

--
Spike

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<t2ebk2$l7l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7803&group=uk.rec.cycling#7803

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 20:52:18 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:52 UTC

On 4/04/22 20:49, Spike wrote:
> On 03/04/2022 16:46, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Petrol prices have rocketed and running and maintaining a car is more expensive than ever before - but one savvy dad is beating the system by ferrying two of his four children around on his long tail cargo bike. The bike can carry one adult and two children and dad-of-four Sam Easterby-Smith from Withington is saving a packet by leaving the car at home and using his other set of wheels instead.
>
> He should be done for child endangerment.

Why?

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<9edfffbd-65b8-48cd-ba95-f8f33a4199b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7806&group=uk.rec.cycling#7806

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 02:28:15 -0700 (PDT)
about by bike
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:28 UTC

On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 09:52:21 UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 4/04/22 20:49, Spike wrote:
> > On 03/04/2022 16:46, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> Petrol prices have rocketed and running and maintaining a car is more expensive than ever before - but one savvy dad is beating the system by ferrying two of his four children around on his long tail cargo bike. The bike can carry one adult and two children and dad-of-four Sam Easterby-Smith from Withington is saving a packet by leaving the car at home and using his other set of wheels instead.
> >
> > He should be done for child endangerment.
> >
> Why?

+1
Road danger comes from motor vehicles.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<t2efg0$1jug$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7808&group=uk.rec.cycling#7808

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:58:24 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:58 UTC

On 04/04/2022 09:28, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 09:52:21 UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:

>>> He should be done for child endangerment.

>> Why?

> +1

> Road danger comes from motor vehicles.

Not entirely. Cyclists have been known to kill other cyclists. And
consider that some cyclists boast of not obeying 20mph limits outside
schools, and riding on pavements outside schools.

--
Spike

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<8a14506d-7b4c-4fde-8c81-b2742375b453n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7810&group=uk.rec.cycling#7810

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 03:27:54 -0700 (PDT)
about by bike
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:27 UTC

> Road danger comes from motor vehicles.

As shown by this handy table:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEi6yDeXMAAnNr4?format=jpg&name=large

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<7816cfca-ca0f-44c2-b65a-f96d3e744a26n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7811&group=uk.rec.cycling#7811

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 03:31:32 -0700 (PDT)
about by bike
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:31 UTC

Why are UK drivers so scared of these?

http://babyccinokids.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bakfiets4.jpg

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<31ac2468-2df3-4d7b-ac14-92a00adfec08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7819&group=uk.rec.cycling#7819

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 05:22:00 -0700 (PDT)
about by bike
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 12:22 UTC

On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 10:58:26 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
> On 04/04/2022 09:28, Mike Collins wrote:

> >> Why?
>
> > +1
>
> > Road danger comes from motor vehicles.
> Not entirely. Cyclists have been known to kill other cyclists. And
> consider that some cyclists boast of not obeying 20mph limits outside
> schools, and riding on pavements outside schools.
>

> --
> Spike

Sure, but it is very rare. Just like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsZgG-MaZt8
If the driver was wearing a helmet this would not have happened.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<t2ese9$1p3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7823&group=uk.rec.cycling#7823

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:39:21 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:39 UTC

On 04/04/2022 12:22, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 10:58:26 UTC+1, Spike wrote:

>>> +1

>>> Road danger comes from motor vehicles.

>> Not entirely. Cyclists have been known to kill other cyclists. And
>> consider that some cyclists boast of not obeying 20mph limits outside
>> schools, and riding on pavements outside schools.

> Sure, but it is very rare. Just like this.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsZgG-MaZt8
> If the driver was wearing a helmet this would not have happened.

Such a low proportion of UK homicides are by shooting, it's so rare you
have to wonder why there's all this fuss about gun control.

--
Spike

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<jb0c72Fk0jeU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7831&group=uk.rec.cycling#7831

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:04:18 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:04 UTC

On 04/04/2022 09:52 am, Peter Keller wrote:

> On 4/04/22 20:49, Spike wrote:

>> On 03/04/2022 16:46, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Petrol prices have rocketed and running and maintaining a car is more expensive than ever before - but one savvy dad is beating the system by ferrying two of his four children around on his long tail cargo bike. The bike can carry one adult and two children and dad-of-four Sam Easterby-Smith from Withington is saving a packet by leaving the car at home and using his other set of wheels instead.
>
>> He should be done for child endangerment.

> Why?

Circus acts aren't even allowed to use animals any more, let alone children.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<jb0cb7Fk0jeU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7832&group=uk.rec.cycling#7832

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by fairy-bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:06:31 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:06 UTC

On 04/04/2022 10:58 am, Spike wrote:

> On 04/04/2022 09:28, Mike Collins wrote:

>>> Why?
>
>> +1
>> Road danger comes from motor vehicles.
>
> Not entirely. Cyclists have been known to kill other cyclists. And
> consider that some cyclists boast of not obeying 20mph limits outside
> schools, and riding on pavements outside schools.

But it doesn't actually matter where the danger comes from, or where the
more deranged fairy-cyclists *claim* it comes from.

Endangering children and failing to afford them the maximum
easily-available protection is a form of abuse.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<jb0cj7Fk4lmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7833&group=uk.rec.cycling#7833

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:10:47 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:10 UTC

On 04/04/2022 11:31 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Why are UK drivers so scared of these?

> http://babyccinokids.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bakfiets4.jpg

It's that child who should be scared.

"My great-great-uncle Sam,
A very tranquil sort of man,
Could not afford his wife a pram -
He pushed his babies round the park
In a green wheelbarrow".

Jake Thackray, (P) 1969.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<t2f2f2$1a6u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7834&group=uk.rec.cycling#7834

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by fairy-bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:22:10 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:22 UTC

On 04/04/2022 14:06, JNugent wrote:
> On 04/04/2022 10:58 am, Spike wrote:

> But it doesn't actually matter where the danger comes from, or where the
> more deranged fairy-cyclists *claim* it comes from.

> Endangering children and failing to afford them the maximum
> easily-available protection is a form of abuse.

The safety requirements for child seats in cars impose rigorous and high
standards.

There is no safety for the children riding in that god-awful contraption.

Why are cyclists so cavalier, when it comes to them undertaking even
simple safety measures?

--
Spike

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<13ba9295-e179-4500-8ee0-46bc0efb33b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7839&group=uk.rec.cycling#7839

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:15:44 -0700 (PDT)
about by bike
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:15 UTC

On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 11:31:33 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Why are UK drivers so scared of these?
>
> http://babyccinokids.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bakfiets4.jpg

If they can't cope with these objects then how on earth can they be expected to cope with horses or baby buggies?

HAND IN YOUR LICENCES NOW!

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<jb0l22Flov9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7842&group=uk.rec.cycling#7842

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by fairy-bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 17:35:14 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:35 UTC

On 04/04/2022 04:22 pm, Spike wrote:
> On 04/04/2022 14:06, JNugent wrote:

>> But it doesn't actually matter where the danger comes from, or where the
>> more deranged fairy-cyclists *claim* it comes from.
>
>> Endangering children and failing to afford them the maximum
>> easily-available protection is a form of abuse.
>
> The safety requirements for child seats in cars impose rigorous and high
> standards.
>
> There is no safety for the children riding in that god-awful contraption.
>
> Why are cyclists so cavalier, when it comes to them undertaking even
> simple safety measures?

They're too kewl for things like that.

And too stingy, even though they're apparently all Considerably Richer
Than the likes of us.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<88d1b1a9-0fe9-459c-a8fa-8e31cc7e6a37n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7844&group=uk.rec.cycling#7844

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:35:41 -0700 (PDT)
about by fairy-bike
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:35 UTC

On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 15:06:34 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 04/04/2022 10:58 am, Spike wrote:

> >> +1
> >> Road danger comes from motor vehicles.
> >
> > Not entirely. Cyclists have been known to kill other cyclists. And
> > consider that some cyclists boast of not obeying 20mph limits outside
> > schools, and riding on pavements outside schools.
> But it doesn't actually matter where the danger comes from, or where the
> more deranged fairy-cyclists *claim* it comes from.
>
> Endangering children and failing to afford them the maximum
> easily-available protection is a form of abuse.

How many children are killed in motor vehicles compared with pedal cycles each year?

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<5777b315-9658-449c-b9b7-a77b6c5b9338n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7846&group=uk.rec.cycling#7846

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:36:43 -0700 (PDT)
about by bike
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:36 UTC

Probably alright for nipping around near his mansion in east Withington but doesn't look safe for busy city roads at all. Also that setup will have cost a good £2500. Nice to know that software engineers on £100k salaries are feeling the 'cost of living crisis' (aka government austerity policy) as well as us normal folk though.

5 hrs ago

2.5k? You'd be lucky. The trailer alone is £500+ but worth every penny.. Bikes & equipment don't depreciate any where near cars. Funny that people think spending 20k on a car is ok but a few grand on a bike is nuts :)

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<a2118111-e147-4a67-a47b-9ffe601dc06an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7850&group=uk.rec.cycling#7850

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 12:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
about by fairy-bike
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:26 UTC

On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 17:35:16 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 04/04/2022 04:22 pm, Spike wrote:

> >> But it doesn't actually matter where the danger comes from, or where the
> >> more deranged fairy-cyclists *claim* it comes from.
> >
> >> Endangering children and failing to afford them the maximum
> >> easily-available protection is a form of abuse.
> >
> > The safety requirements for child seats in cars impose rigorous and high
> > standards.
> >
> > There is no safety for the children riding in that god-awful contraption.
> >
> > Why are cyclists so cavalier, when it comes to them undertaking even
> > simple safety measures?
> They're too kewl for things like that.
>
> And too stingy, even though they're apparently all Considerably Richer
> Than the likes of us.

Ban driver seatbelts and airbags, put a large metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel and the roads would be much safer.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<jb1ahoFppl2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7851&group=uk.rec.cycling#7851

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by fairy-bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 23:41:59 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 22:41 UTC

On 04/04/2022 05:35 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 15:06:34 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

>>> Not entirely. Cyclists have been known to kill other cyclists. And
>>> consider that some cyclists boast of not obeying 20mph limits outside
>>> schools, and riding on pavements outside schools.
>> But it doesn't actually matter where the danger comes from, or where the
>> more deranged fairy-cyclists *claim* it comes from.
>>
>> Endangering children and failing to afford them the maximum
>> easily-available protection is a form of abuse.
>
> How many children are killed in motor vehicles compared with pedal cycles each year?

This isn't about fairy-cycles per se. It's about open wooden boxes
(containing children) attached to the front of fairy-cycles pedalled by
fairy-cyclists.

Luckily for children, not many parents are irresponsible enough to put
them in a large wheelbarrow-shaped open wooden box and then push the box
out into traffic.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<jb1aiuFppl2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7852&group=uk.rec.cycling#7852

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by fairy-bike
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 23:42:38 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 22:42 UTC

On 04/04/2022 08:26 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 17:35:16 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

>>> The safety requirements for child seats in cars impose rigorous and high
>>> standards.
>>>
>>> There is no safety for the children riding in that god-awful contraption.
>>>
>>> Why are cyclists so cavalier, when it comes to them undertaking even
>>> simple safety measures?
>> They're too kewl for things like that.
>>
>> And too stingy, even though they're apparently all Considerably Richer
>> Than the likes of us.
>
> Ban driver seatbelts and airbags, put a large metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel and the roads would be much safer.

Do you always find it so hard to be original?

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike

<t2grmr$l6o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7857&group=uk.rec.cycling#7857

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by bike
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 07:39:07 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 07:39 UTC

On 04/04/2022 16:15, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> If they can't cope with these objects then how on earth can they be expected to cope with horses or baby buggies?

> HAND IN YOUR LICENCES NOW!

MAKE THE ROADS SAFER

HAND IN YOUR BICYCLES NOW!

--
Spike

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<t2gs4l$qog$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7858&group=uk.rec.cycling#7858

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by fairy-bike
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 07:46:29 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 07:46 UTC

On 04/04/2022 19:26, Mike Collins wrote:

> Ban driver seatbelts and airbags

What a peculiar attitude cyclists have to safety!

--
Spike

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<b5ecc351-a7f0-4d95-974e-db830da3cbe2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7867&group=uk.rec.cycling#7867

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 03:05:12 -0700 (PDT)
about by fairy-bike
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:05 UTC

On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:26:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> Ban driver seatbelts and airbags, put a large metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel and the roads would be much safer.

Agreed - at least then they will feel the pain that they inflict on thousands of innocent people every year. Some who are permanently disabled and crippled.

Re: 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by fairy-bike

<t2h4lu$tvc$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7871&group=uk.rec.cycling#7871

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
about by fairy-bike
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:12:14 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:12 UTC

On 05/04/2022 10:05, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:26:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

>> Ban driver seatbelts and airbags, put a large metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel and the roads would be much safer.

> Agreed - at least then they will feel the pain that they inflict on thousands of innocent people every year. Some who are permanently disabled and crippled.

"Equal misery for all" is quite a concept.

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / 'No looking for parking, never stuck in traffic': Why I take baby about by bike