Proof by exhaustion: An issue or two of a journal devoted to your proof is useful.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

SubjectAuthor
* Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the RoadBret Cahill
+* Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the RoadJNugent
|`* Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the RoadBret Cahill
| `- Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the RoadJNugent
+- Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the RoadSpike
+* Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Roadswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the RoadSpike
`* Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the RoadBret Cahill
 `* Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Roadswldx...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the RoadBret Cahill

1
Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<453589fa-d3c9-4877-a755-d9124d2ead7cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7577&group=uk.rec.cycling#7577

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:48:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:48 UTC

In winter I find nice flashlights, cell phones and tools.

In summer its mostly tools and the occasional cell. Just about all my good tools I found on the side of the road.

There are always so many bungee cords I cycle past the ones that aren't brand new and the exact right shade of blue.

It's easy to guess what is going on. The motorist has some issue and pulls over. He pulls out his cell his flashlight and/or and tools to fix the problem. No one likes to be on the side of the road with trucks whizzing by so the first instant he thinks he can go he jumps into his vehicle forgetting about his flashlight and tools on the wheel well and cell on the hood.
And drives off.

I found a cell last month in an Otter box. The screen was cracked but it worked and was without pass key protection. The first contact, a woman, hung up on me as soon as I asked "¿entiendes ingles?" I called another who was curious where I found it. I gave him a very approximate stretch of road telling him his buddy could pick it up at the library.

I have no idea if lost cell phone owners are violent criminals so I do everything anonymously. I wipe the phone down, use a napkin to put it in an envelope and drop it in the book return box.

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<jaiqarF19ufU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7589&group=uk.rec.cycling#7589

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:39:24 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:39 UTC

On 29/03/2022 10:48 pm, Bret Cahill wrote:

> In winter I find nice flashlights, cell phones and tools.
>
> In summer its mostly tools and the occasional cell. Just about all my good tools I found on the side of the road.
>
> There are always so many bungee cords I cycle past the ones that aren't brand new and the exact right shade of blue.
>
> It's easy to guess what is going on. The motorist has some issue and pulls over. He pulls out his cell his flashlight and/or and tools to fix the problem. No one likes to be on the side of the road with trucks whizzing by so the first instant he thinks he can go he jumps into his vehicle forgetting about his flashlight and tools on the wheel well and cell on the hood.
>
> And drives off.
>
> I found a cell last month in an Otter box. The screen was cracked but it worked and was without pass key protection. The first contact, a woman, hung up on me as soon as I asked "¿entiendes ingles?" I called another who was curious where I found it. I gave him a very approximate stretch of road telling him his buddy could pick it up at the library.
>
> I have no idea if lost cell phone owners are violent criminals so I do everything anonymously. I wipe the phone down, use a napkin to put it in an envelope and drop it in the book return box.

In UK terms, that is a crime. You may not just keep the property of
others which has been lost or mislaid. The offence is known as "stealing
by finding".

Lost property must be handed to the police. If it is not claimed by its
owner within six months, it may be claimed - lawfully - by the finder,
but he is not its owner until that moment.

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<t21eb2$1ecq$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7594&group=uk.rec.cycling#7594

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:19:00 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:19 UTC

On 30/03/2022 10:36, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 10:48:39 PM UTC+1, bretc...@aol.com wrote:

>> In winter I find nice flashlights, cell phones and tools.

> Here in the UK, drivers just leave bags of dog mess, cigarette butts and heaps of fast food trash.

> <https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/06/04/00/43811167-9650419-image-a-123_1622763729696.jpg>

Here in the UK, cyclists shit in public on village greens, just because
their 'ride' is timed and they don't want to wait for a toilet to become
free.

--
Spike

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<bbcf2677-23e7-49b2-964e-2f755f3126f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7602&group=uk.rec.cycling#7602

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 04:37:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:37 UTC

On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 11:36:20 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 10:48:39 PM UTC+1, bretc...@aol.com wrote:
> > In winter I find nice flashlights, cell phones and tools.
> Here in the UK, drivers just leave bags of dog mess, cigarette butts and heaps of fast food trash.
>
> https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/06/04/00/43811167-9650419-image-a-123_1622763729696.jpg

Littering out of your car could now land you up to £450 fine:

Drivers caught littering could in certain circumstances land up to £450 fines and costs in the UK.

In the UK, anyone caught littering from their vehicle could be handed an on-the-spot fine of £80.

However, a recent case involving a driver from Ipswich revealed how these fees could soar.

A motorist caught littering from his vehicle by a local waste enforcement officer was ordered to pay the £80 fine.
The driver did not pay the fine and then faced court proceeding where magistrates ordered them to pay £450 fines and costs.

Any driver that failed to pay their fine on time could face criminal proceedings and higher fines

Under the Environmental Protection Act, it is a criminal offence to litter from your car - although it won’t appear on your criminal record.

A spokesperson for Ipswich Borough Council said that local authorities would not tolerate motorists dropping cigarette butts from their vehicle.

Driver littering
Littering costs councils £680 million a year

RAC spokesman Rod Dennis said that the offence is a “stark reminder of the importance of drivers not dropping litter from their vehicles.”

“While we believe cases like these to relatively uncommon, they show just how sharp some fines can be and it’s clearly always better to dispose of any litter in the proper places.”

Earlier this year, authorities were given the power to issue up to a £150 fine in the UK to clampdown on littering.

The cost of littering is said to be costing councils £680 million a year in Britain.
Girl on motorbike makes sure woman caught littering gets karma

Motorists can be handed the fine if they or any of their passengers are caught littering.

At the time of the announcement Environment Minister Therese Coffey said that the fines could encourage people to be more conscious and help clampdown on littering.

She said: "These new fines will tackle anti-social behaviour by hitting litter louts in the pocket, whether it's litter that is thrown from a vehicle or dropped in the street.

"Littering is a scourge on our environment and we waste taxpayers' money cleaning it up - funds which could be better spent in the community.

"We want to be the first generation to leave our environment in a better state than we found it, and I encourage everyone to take responsibility for their litter and recycle more."

The Local Government Association's (LGA) environment spokesman, Martin Tett, said: "Councils being able to issue increased fines to litter louts, who show no consideration for the community they live in, will send a strong message to those who think their laziness is more important than the environment in which they live.

"Allowing councils to fine the owners of vehicles which litter is thrown from, rather than expecting councils to prove who exactly in the vehicle had thrown litter, is also something that the LGA has long called for."

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1040994/litter-car-fine-UK-rubbish-littering

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<ee1357ae-1d40-4a6b-a9f3-6eb8cbda0c45n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7605&group=uk.rec.cycling#7605

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 06:51:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 13:51 UTC

On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 3:39:26 AM UTC-7, JNugent wrote:
> On 29/03/2022 10:48 pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
>
> > In winter I find nice flashlights, cell phones and tools.
> >
> > In summer its mostly tools and the occasional cell. Just about all my good tools I found on the side of the road.
> >
> > There are always so many bungee cords I cycle past the ones that aren't brand new and the exact right shade of blue.
> >
> > It's easy to guess what is going on. The motorist has some issue and pulls over. He pulls out his cell his flashlight and/or and tools to fix the problem. No one likes to be on the side of the road with trucks whizzing by so the first instant he thinks he can go he jumps into his vehicle forgetting about his flashlight and tools on the wheel well and cell on the hood.
> >
> > And drives off.
> >
> > I found a cell last month in an Otter box. The screen was cracked but it worked and was without pass key protection. The first contact, a woman, hung up on me as soon as I asked "¿entiendes ingles?" I called another who was curious where I found it. I gave him a very approximate stretch of road telling him his buddy could pick it up at the library.
> >
> > I have no idea if lost cell phone owners are violent criminals so I do everything anonymously. I wipe the phone down, use a napkin to put it in an envelope and drop it in the book return box.
> In UK terms, that is a crime. You may not just keep the property of
> others which has been lost or mislaid. The offence is known as "stealing
> by finding".

How do you give cash back if it isn't in some identifying container?

I tried putting the more valuable stuff on Craig's List lost and found saying the owner has 30 days to get it back if he knows specific details about the item. Problem is few in the valley read Craig's list to find lost items.. That solution is a joke.

What about an industrial part found a short distance from a dealership that sold that part? It probably blew off the service truck. Next trip by the dealership drop it off somewhere where they'll eventually see it.

Some cell phones are damaged beyond repair by the time I find them, but prismatic batteries can survive freeway speed impacts, pouch batteries getting run over by motor vehicles. To be safe initially charge them outdoors. Get the owners phone number from the SIM card and if he has any profile info online you can mail the parts back. Maybe the FBI could recover data from a smushed phone but other than that their privacy is secure.

GPS trackers are best left on the side of the road.

> Lost property must be handed to the police. If it is not claimed by its
> owner within six months, it may be claimed - lawfully - by the finder,
> but he is not its owner until that moment.

In fact one library started giving the phones to their local police. Privacy and Fourth Amendment issues appear with that approach. But I agree that lost and found should be a function of some department of local government. It would take an in your face PR campaign no one is willing to muster.

I cycle less than 8,000 km/yr so why do I find so much stuff? Simple. About 1,000 km is when it's 50° C out. It may be November before the next shopper comes by.

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<jajfvkF5bofU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7613&group=uk.rec.cycling#7613

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 17:48:52 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 16:48 UTC

On 30/03/2022 02:51 pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 3:39:26 AM UTC-7, JNugent wrote:
>> On 29/03/2022 10:48 pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
>>
>>> In winter I find nice flashlights, cell phones and tools.
>>>
>>> In summer its mostly tools and the occasional cell. Just about all my good tools I found on the side of the road.
>>>
>>> There are always so many bungee cords I cycle past the ones that aren't brand new and the exact right shade of blue.
>>>
>>> It's easy to guess what is going on. The motorist has some issue and pulls over. He pulls out his cell his flashlight and/or and tools to fix the problem. No one likes to be on the side of the road with trucks whizzing by so the first instant he thinks he can go he jumps into his vehicle forgetting about his flashlight and tools on the wheel well and cell on the hood.
>>>
>>> And drives off.
>>>
>>> I found a cell last month in an Otter box. The screen was cracked but it worked and was without pass key protection. The first contact, a woman, hung up on me as soon as I asked "¿entiendes ingles?" I called another who was curious where I found it. I gave him a very approximate stretch of road telling him his buddy could pick it up at the library.
>>>
>>> I have no idea if lost cell phone owners are violent criminals so I do everything anonymously. I wipe the phone down, use a napkin to put it in an envelope and drop it in the book return box.
>> In UK terms, that is a crime. You may not just keep the property of
>> others which has been lost or mislaid. The offence is known as "stealing
>> by finding".
>
> How do you give cash back if it isn't in some identifying container?

I explained that in my previous post. It's still there below.

You must (not "may") hand in lost property to the police at a police
station. If it is found on public transport, it may be handed in to staff.

> I tried putting the more valuable stuff on Craig's List lost and found saying the owner has 30 days to get it back if he knows specific details about the item. Problem is few in the valley read Craig's list to find lost items. That solution is a joke.

You don't say.

> What about an industrial part found a short distance from a dealership that sold that part? It probably blew off the service truck. Next trip by the dealership drop it off somewhere where they'll eventually see it.

The main thing is that it isn't yours.

Don't steal it.

> Some cell phones are damaged beyond repair by the time I find them, but prismatic batteries can survive freeway speed impacts, pouch batteries getting run over by motor vehicles. To be safe initially charge them outdoors. Get the owners phone number from the SIM card and if he has any profile info online you can mail the parts back. Maybe the FBI could recover data from a smushed phone but other than that their privacy is secure.

> GPS trackers are best left on the side of the road.
>
>> Lost property must be handed to the police. If it is not claimed by its
>> owner within six months, it may be claimed - lawfully - by the finder,
>> but he is not its owner until that moment.
>
> In fact one library started giving the phones to their local police. Privacy and Fourth Amendment issues appear with that approach. But I agree that lost and found should be a function of some department of local government. It would take an in your face PR campaign no one is willing to muster.
>
> I cycle less than 8,000 km/yr so why do I find so much stuff? Simple. About 1,000 km is when it's 50° C out. It may be November before the next shopper comes by.

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<e17093fa-4a7b-4cd8-be2a-9d70f4864ee2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7616&group=uk.rec.cycling#7616

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 16:53:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 23:53 UTC

Just found one of these 45 km from home:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CTMCMHT81645

On the way back I found a 26" tube -- pretty impressive someone riding a gravel / MTB bike that far when that particular road is mostly smooth.

Unfortunately the valve stem was ripped. I may still try to determine if and how it was punctured even if it requires extraordinary means to inflate it.

A 20 amp hour 36 v battery is too much for me. If I cannot last as long as the battery, I have no use for that battery. I look at the rig with a feeling of dread, revulsion.

It's easy to charge up every night. I'll try to trade for a smaller battery. Or maybe just take a couple cells out of each of the 7p X 10s pack.

What could go wrong?

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<t23nfk$vcl$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7621&group=uk.rec.cycling#7621

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 08:07:18 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 08:07 UTC

On 30/03/2022 16:51, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Drivers caught littering could in certain circumstances land up to £450 fines and costs in the UK.

> Drivers caught fly tipping can face a £50000 fine and a year in jail.

> BEWARE DRIVERS:

> <https://phabcart.imgix.net/cdn/scdn/images/uploads/53044AU_WEB_600.jpg?auto=compress&w=534>

WHAT'S THE FINE FOR FLY-TIPPING CYCLISTS? [IYSWIM]

--
Spike

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<337d2496-939d-430d-a702-f881ecf09e6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7630&group=uk.rec.cycling#7630

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 02:36:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:36 UTC

On Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 12:53:56 AM UTC+1, bretc...@aol.com wrote:

> On the way back I found a 26" tube -- pretty impressive someone riding a gravel / MTB bike that far when that particular road is mostly smooth.

Can they go off road into the desert though?

Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road

<47955bb0-1c27-4425-a04b-06863f08fc1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7855&group=uk.rec.cycling#7855

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 20:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 03:34 UTC

> > On the way back I found a 26" tube -- pretty impressive someone riding a gravel / MTB bike that far when that particular road is mostly smooth.

> Can they go off road into the desert though?

I'll give it a try.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Conclusions From Stuff You Find On the Road