From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Dimmable LED ES lights
Date: 20 Nov 2022 12:46:39 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 12:46 UTC

Having hit the point where tungsten and halogen bulbs are no longer
generally available I am transitioning to LED bulbs, which need to be
dimmable for the main living area.

With the pair of lights on one switch all is fine so far, but a single
light has already failed.

These are LumiLife 13W allegedly 100W equivalent.

They dim OK, so I think the dimmer switch is OK (haven't checked the
variant to confirm it is LED friendly but I think all the original
switches were).

Just wondering if this is to be expected?

Not saving me money at the moment.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<jtumpcF6qhvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78562&group=uk.d-i-y#78562

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Dimmable LED ES lights
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:01:30 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:01 UTC

David wrote:

> With the pair of lights on one switch all is fine so far, but a single
> light has already failed.

When I was buying no-name LEDs (because the brands were not selling 100W
equivalent) the failure rates were relatively high, but in the last 5 years,
don't think I've had any fail.

> These are LumiLife 13W allegedly 100W equivalent.

3 year warranty?

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<tldb6h$3h9ac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78568&group=uk.d-i-y#78568

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:48:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:uJOD7v/7ZYmufwyCc0qgY4/V2J8=
 by: Brian - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:48 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Having hit the point where tungsten and halogen bulbs are no longer
> generally available I am transitioning to LED bulbs, which need to be
> dimmable for the main living area.
>
> With the pair of lights on one switch all is fine so far, but a single
> light has already failed.
>
> These are LumiLife 13W allegedly 100W equivalent.
>
> They dim OK, so I think the dimmer switch is OK (haven't checked the
> variant to confirm it is LED friendly but I think all the original
> switches were).
>
> Just wondering if this is to be expected?
>
> Not saving me money at the moment.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Over the last few years- I’m not sure exactly how many- I’ve been gradually
changing to LED bulbs. I think I’ve swapped them all now, finding a couple
of types took ages.

By coincidence, I’ve just compared a current estimated total annual
electricity consumption with one from several years ago- probably when we
had few, if any LED bulbs but a few CFLs. It shows almost a 15% decrease.
We’ve not made any other changes I can think of, even with the recent price
increases we refuse to live in the dark etc 😊

I’m surprised the change is so much and I suspect there is another factor.
Of course, with the recent price increases we still pay more !

As an aside, I checked our estimated annual gas consumption compared to
longer ago, before I think I installed a Hive controller. Again, even with
recent price increases, we like to be comfortable. That said, soon after
installing the Hive, I ‘tweaked’ the timings and temperature etc so we were
comfortable but the system was on as little as possible, to match our life
style ( we are retired ).
The reduction is dramatic , over 25%. Of course, the year I used could have
been a cold one but over the years, the consumption has been lower every
year. ( Not a downward trend, just lower.)

The Hive cost about £130.

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<jtupglF74ghU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78569&group=uk.d-i-y#78569

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:48:04 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:48 UTC

On 20/11/2022 12:46, David wrote:
> Having hit the point where tungsten and halogen bulbs are no longer
> generally available I am transitioning to LED bulbs, which need to be
> dimmable for the main living area.
>
> With the pair of lights on one switch all is fine so far, but a single
> light has already failed.
>
> These are LumiLife 13W allegedly 100W equivalent.

Before I changed light fittings I had a couple of these (same brand same
wattage) and one actually went bang with a tiny bit of magic smoke. Mine
were fitted to existing downlights and ran quite hot. The downlights
previously were fitted with the silvered type spotlight bulbs. Probably
they are not suited to being fitted to fittings where there is no
ventilation and especially if the base, with all the electronics, is
uppermost.

The majority of my LED lights are now panel type fittings - mainly
fairly cheap "designer" type in the main living rooms and bedrooms and
not office ceiling panel types.

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<tlde9c$3hgmg$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78578&group=uk.d-i-y#78578

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:40:44 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:40 UTC

On 20/11/2022 12:46, David wrote:
> Having hit the point where tungsten and halogen bulbs are no longer
> generally available I am transitioning to LED bulbs, which need to be
> dimmable for the main living area.
>
> With the pair of lights on one switch all is fine so far, but a single
> light has already failed.
>
> These are LumiLife 13W allegedly 100W equivalent.
>
> They dim OK, so I think the dimmer switch is OK (haven't checked the
> variant to confirm it is LED friendly but I think all the original
> switches were).
>
> Just wondering if this is to be expected?
>
> Not saving me money at the moment.

yes, some designs are unreliable. It gets better though

--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
“We did this ourselves.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<tle6j5$3jl2a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78666&group=uk.d-i-y#78666

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 21:35:31 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 21:35 UTC

On 20/11/2022 12:46, David wrote:
> Having hit the point where tungsten and halogen bulbs are no longer
> generally available I am transitioning to LED bulbs, which need to be
> dimmable for the main living area.
>
> With the pair of lights on one switch all is fine so far, but a single
> light has already failed.
>
> These are LumiLife 13W allegedly 100W equivalent.
>
> They dim OK, so I think the dimmer switch is OK (haven't checked the
> variant to confirm it is LED friendly but I think all the original
> switches were).
>
> Just wondering if this is to be expected?

Whilst they might be LED friendly the dimmers also usually have a
minimum load. It may be with two bulbs you exceed it, but with one you
don't.

After trying many combinations I eventually gave up and switched the
Philips Hue BlueTooth and use Alexa to control them. They can also be
controlled from the phone app, but they dim nicely and I have five with
no failures to date.

If you get the very expensive colour variant you can even simulate the
orangy glow from dimmed incandescent.

> Not saving me money at the moment.

Me neither, but my wife is happy....
.... actually given the expense of a divorce I probably am saving money

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Dave W

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<tlfhos$3pffg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78685&group=uk.d-i-y#78685

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:52:27 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:52 UTC

If the vendor is UK based you should be able to get a new for old out of
them under consumer law. I remember in the old days with ordinary bl-bulbs
if they failed shortly after purchase they got replaced by most stores.
Customers matter. The few who try it on with an old bulb are thankfully not
the normal trend. One batch labelled Tesla, very many years ago blew all
the time and thousands went back.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> David wrote:
>
>> With the pair of lights on one switch all is fine so far, but a single
>> light has already failed.
>
> When I was buying no-name LEDs (because the brands were not selling 100W
> equivalent) the failure rates were relatively high, but in the last 5
> years, don't think I've had any fail.
>
>> These are LumiLife 13W allegedly 100W equivalent.
>
> 3 year warranty?

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<tlfi10$3pg26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78686&group=uk.d-i-y#78686

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:56:47 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:56 UTC

How future proof are such things as hive?
Also does any data get exchanged over the internet to some big brother
somewhere.
I often wonder what might happen if Google and Amazon decided to invent a
new system and make all their little devices obsolete, or start charging
monthly costs for use of their servers.
I think and hope it might spur appliance makers to make their devices more
accessible in the first place.
Brian

--

--:
"Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote in message
> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Having hit the point where tungsten and halogen bulbs are no longer
>> generally available I am transitioning to LED bulbs, which need to be
>> dimmable for the main living area.
>>
>> With the pair of lights on one switch all is fine so far, but a single
>> light has already failed.
>>
>> These are LumiLife 13W allegedly 100W equivalent.
>>
>> They dim OK, so I think the dimmer switch is OK (haven't checked the
>> variant to confirm it is LED friendly but I think all the original
>> switches were).
>>
>> Just wondering if this is to be expected?
>>
>> Not saving me money at the moment.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>

> Over the last few years- I'm not sure exactly how many- I've been
> gradually
> changing to LED bulbs. I think I've swapped them all now, finding a couple
> of types took ages.
>
> By coincidence, I've just compared a current estimated total annual
> electricity consumption with one from several years ago- probably when we
> had few, if any LED bulbs but a few CFLs. It shows almost a 15% decrease.
> We've not made any other changes I can think of, even with the recent
> price
> increases we refuse to live in the dark etc ??
>
> I'm surprised the change is so much and I suspect there is another factor.
> Of course, with the recent price increases we still pay more !
>

> As an aside, I checked our estimated annual gas consumption compared to
> longer ago, before I think I installed a Hive controller. Again, even with
> recent price increases, we like to be comfortable. That said, soon after
> installing the Hive, I 'tweaked' the timings and temperature etc so we
> were
> comfortable but the system was on as little as possible, to match our life
> style ( we are retired ).
> The reduction is dramatic , over 25%. Of course, the year I used could
> have
> been a cold one but over the years, the consumption has been lower every
> year. ( Not a downward trend, just lower.)
>
> The Hive cost about �130.

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<tlh156$3t7qj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78776&group=uk.d-i-y#78776

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 23:21:09 +0000
 by: David Wade - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 23:21 UTC

On 21/11/2022 09:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
> How future proof are such things as hive?

not very. they annunced the end of some services recently.

> Also does any data get exchanged over the internet to some big brother
> somewhere.
> I often wonder what might happen if Google and Amazon decided to invent a
> new system and make all their little devices obsolete, or start charging
> monthly costs for use of their servers.
> I think and hope it might spur appliance makers to make their devices more
> accessible in the first place.

some are. worth checking the systems which interface directly to the
devices.

> Brian

dave

Re: Dimmable LED ES lights

<ju3jodFt6p0U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78791&group=uk.d-i-y#78791

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:40:28 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:40 UTC

On 21/11/2022 23:21, David Wade wrote:
> On 21/11/2022 09:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> How future proof are such things as hive?
>
> not very. they annunced the end of some services recently.

I'm trying to resurrect some Logitech programmable remote controls. They
pulled out out he remote control marketplace over a year ago.

Unfortunately if you don't have the original remote control(s) to learn
from you need their software and on their on-line data base.

Ignoring the problem of their software no longer being supported on
later operating systems and the data base for equipment is unlikely to
updated for equipment coming into the market place one lot of software
for their older models can no longer connect to their data base. This is
very unlikely to get fixed.

The software for the later model remote still works* but I wonder how
long before there is a server problem that doesn't get fixed.

*Their software was that not that good is the first place but when
installing their MyHarmony software it also installs the older software
on the PC. This older software stops the newer software from working
correctly and has to be uninstalled before the newer software connects
reliably with the remote control. The new software warns that the older
software shouldn't be running on the PC at the same time BUT then
automatically starts it up every time the new software attempts to sync
to the remote.