C'mon! political protest! sheesh. Where's that anarchist spirit? ;-) -- Decklin Foster

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / CH/HW Automatic bypass valve

SubjectAuthor
* CH/HW Automatic bypass valveAlanC
`* Re: CH/HW Automatic bypass valveRoger Mills
 `* Re: CH/HW Automatic bypass valveSteveW
  `- Re: CH/HW Automatic bypass valveDavidm

1
CH/HW Automatic bypass valve

<09625bb6-c686-456b-aaa8-5cfddbbecabcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78684&group=uk.d-i-y#78684

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 01:48:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: CH/HW Automatic bypass valve
From: ala...@mullen.demon.co.uk (AlanC)
 by: AlanC - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:48 UTC

We have just converted from vented HW to unvented. The change also involved switching from Y plan to S plan with an automatic bypass valve.
The previous Y plan setup just used the bathroom rad as the bypass mechanism.
We have noticed a fairly loud squeak. I have managed to track it down to the auto bypass value. When the HW (or Heating) is satisfied and the shutoff valve closes, the pump will continue (overrun) which causes the pressure to build and the auto bypass valve to open - all normal stuff.
I was just wondering it is normal for them to give out a loud squeal when they open. Are some better (quieter) than others?
Thanks
Alan

Re: CH/HW Automatic bypass valve

<ju4gd6F3b7sU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78854&group=uk.d-i-y#78854

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: CH/HW Automatic bypass valve
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 17:49:26 +0000
 by: Roger Mills - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 17:49 UTC

On 21/11/2022 09:48, AlanC wrote:
> We have just converted from vented HW to unvented. The change also involved switching from Y plan to S plan with an automatic bypass valve.
> The previous Y plan setup just used the bathroom rad as the bypass mechanism.
> We have noticed a fairly loud squeak. I have managed to track it down to the auto bypass value. When the HW (or Heating) is satisfied and the shutoff valve closes, the pump will continue (overrun) which causes the pressure to build and the auto bypass valve to open - all normal stuff.
> I was just wondering it is normal for them to give out a loud squeal when they open. Are some better (quieter) than others?
> Thanks
> Alan

I've got one in both of my properties, and have never experienced
anything like that.

They don't work very well though with intelligent pumps which reduce the
speed when the flow resistance increases - 'cos there's then not enough
pressure to open the by-pass.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: CH/HW Automatic bypass valve

<tlj9uk$5fpi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78876&group=uk.d-i-y#78876

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 20:03:32 +0000
 by: SteveW - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 20:03 UTC

On 22/11/2022 17:49, Roger Mills wrote:
> On 21/11/2022 09:48, AlanC wrote:
>> We have just converted from vented HW to unvented.  The change also
>> involved switching from Y plan to S plan with an automatic bypass valve.
>> The previous Y plan setup just used the bathroom rad as the bypass
>> mechanism.
>> We have noticed a fairly loud squeak.  I have managed to track it down
>> to the auto bypass value.  When the HW (or Heating) is satisfied and
>> the shutoff valve closes, the pump will continue (overrun) which
>> causes the pressure to build and the auto bypass valve to open - all
>> normal stuff.
>> I was just wondering it is normal for them to give out a loud squeal
>> when they open.  Are some better (quieter) than others?
>> Thanks
>> Alan
>
> I've got one in both of my properties, and have never experienced
> anything like that.
>
> They don't work very well though with intelligent pumps which reduce the
> speed when the flow resistance increases - 'cos there's then not enough
> pressure to open the by-pass.

At some point I will fit such a pump, having already re-sized radiators
and piping to drop the boiler temperature to 60°C (I may be able to go
lower, but I'm waiting for colder weather to experiment).

However, rather than thermostatic valves, I have a timer/thermostat and
motorised valve per room.

The plan is to replace the automatic bypass valve with a normally open
valve, closing it when any of the other valves is open and letting the
boiler control the pump overrun.

Re: CH/HW Automatic bypass valve

<hprrnhl0afq5288d3usronvm57oqni7n4h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78904&group=uk.d-i-y#78904

From: davidm_u...@hotmail.com (Davidm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:09:59 +0000
 by: Davidm - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:09 UTC

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 20:03:32 +0000, SteveW <steve@walker-family.me.uk>
wrote:

>On 22/11/2022 17:49, Roger Mills wrote:
>> On 21/11/2022 09:48, AlanC wrote:
>>> We have just converted from vented HW to unvented.  The change also
>>> involved switching from Y plan to S plan with an automatic bypass valve.
>>> The previous Y plan setup just used the bathroom rad as the bypass
>>> mechanism.
>>> We have noticed a fairly loud squeak.  I have managed to track it down
>>> to the auto bypass value.  When the HW (or Heating) is satisfied and
>>> the shutoff valve closes, the pump will continue (overrun) which
>>> causes the pressure to build and the auto bypass valve to open - all
>>> normal stuff.
>>> I was just wondering it is normal for them to give out a loud squeal
>>> when they open.  Are some better (quieter) than others?
>>> Thanks
>>> Alan
>>
>> I've got one in both of my properties, and have never experienced
>> anything like that.
>>
>> They don't work very well though with intelligent pumps which reduce the
>> speed when the flow resistance increases - 'cos there's then not enough
>> pressure to open the by-pass.
>
>At some point I will fit such a pump, having already re-sized radiators
>and piping to drop the boiler temperature to 60°C (I may be able to go
>lower, but I'm waiting for colder weather to experiment).
>
>However, rather than thermostatic valves, I have a timer/thermostat and
>motorised valve per room.
>
>The plan is to replace the automatic bypass valve with a normally open
>valve, closing it when any of the other valves is open and letting the
>boiler control the pump overrun.
Re that last para I'm considering doing just that, as I'm not
convinced that my Honeywell auto bypass valve (a new replacement) is
working at all.
The water pipe on the downside of that valve seem always hot after the
whole system has warmed up, but that may just be due to heat
conduction along the pipes. The bypass loop is very short, 20 inches
maybe, before it joins the main return to the boiler.
I think that the nornally open valve could just be controlled by the
boiler demand signal from the wiring box/centre, so that when there is
demand for heat the valve is driven closed.