If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

SubjectAuthor
* Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speedswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians inMike Collins
|`* Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians inswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians inSpike
+- Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit fairy-cyclist and pedestrians inJNugent
+* Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians inswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians inSpike
|`- Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit fairy-cyclist and pedestrians inJNugent
+* Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians inswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians inSpike
`- Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians inswldx...@gmail.com

1
Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<0f292a41-32f4-4171-ba19-44646413848cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7821&group=uk.rec.cycling#7821

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 06:16:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed
police chase
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:16 UTC

David Ingram, of Seafield View, appeared for sentencing before Sheriff Pino Di Emidio at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court recently.

Ingram, 38, admitted driving dangerously and at excessive speed on June 1, 2021 through roads in Kirkcaldy including Balwearie Road, Abbotshall Road, Pratt Street, Esplanade and Bridge Street, the B9157, the unclassified Kissing Trees Road, the A909 and Cowdenbeath Road near Burntisland and Mill Farm Road, Aberdour before reaching Braefoot Bay Marine Terminal and the A921.

He admitted travelling through a red light (SURELY NOT- SM) and forcing another vehicle to swerve to avoid a collision, driving around corners at excessive speed, driving too close to a cyclist and pedestrians and travelling through metal road barriers and traffic cones.

Ingram went on to drive at speed onto a section of the roadway, which was closed to traffic.

Ingram also admitted driving towards a stationary police vehicle, narrowly avoiding striking it and finally mounting a pavement (SURELY NOT- SM) and a grass verge, all while he was being pursued by police vehicles displaying flashing blue lights, contrary to the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The pursuit left his car damaged as well as damaging the road barriers he hit.

Ingram’s defence lawyer said his client was at a “low ebb” in his life at the time of the offending. He said his client was aware that his employment could be jeopardised by a driving disqualification.

Sheriff Di Emidio told Ingram: “I have taken into account everything that has been said including what was written in the report.

"This was a bad piece of driving.

"But I think I can treat this as an isolated matter.

"Because of what has been written in the report I am going to require you to carry out 120 hours if unpaid work, taking account of your early guilty plea.

"This will be for a period of one year.

"You will also be disqualified from driving for 12 months, discounted from 18 months, and you will be required to pass the test again when the period of disqualification comes to an end.”

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/crime/kirkcaldy-motorist-almost-hit-cyclist-and-pedestrians-in-high-speed-police-chase-3639313

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<bfe56421-650d-4daa-8bfc-1e69db984a1an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7828&group=uk.rec.cycling#7828

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 06:50:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in
high-speed police chase
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:50 UTC

On Monday, 4 April 2022 at 14:16:13 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> David Ingram, of Seafield View, appeared for sentencing before Sheriff Pino Di Emidio at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court recently.
>
> Ingram, 38, admitted driving dangerously and at excessive speed on June 1, 2021 through roads in Kirkcaldy including Balwearie Road, Abbotshall Road, Pratt Street, Esplanade and Bridge Street, the B9157, the unclassified Kissing Trees Road, the A909 and Cowdenbeath Road near Burntisland and Mill Farm Road, Aberdour before reaching Braefoot Bay Marine Terminal and the A921.
>
> He admitted travelling through a red light (SURELY NOT- SM) and forcing another vehicle to swerve to avoid a collision, driving around corners at excessive speed, driving too close to a cyclist and pedestrians and travelling through metal road barriers and traffic cones.
>
> Ingram went on to drive at speed onto a section of the roadway, which was closed to traffic.
>
> Ingram also admitted driving towards a stationary police vehicle, narrowly avoiding striking it and finally mounting a pavement (SURELY NOT- SM) and a grass verge, all while he was being pursued by police vehicles displaying flashing blue lights, contrary to the Road Traffic Act 1988.
>
> The pursuit left his car damaged as well as damaging the road barriers he hit.
>
> Ingram’s defence lawyer said his client was at a “low ebb” in his life at the time of the offending. He said his client was aware that his employment could be jeopardised by a driving disqualification.
>
> Sheriff Di Emidio told Ingram: “I have taken into account everything that has been said including what was written in the report.
>
> "This was a bad piece of driving.
>
> "But I think I can treat this as an isolated matter.
>
> "Because of what has been written in the report I am going to require you to carry out 120 hours if unpaid work, taking account of your early guilty plea.
>
> "This will be for a period of one year.
>
> "You will also be disqualified from driving for 12 months, discounted from 18 months, and you will be required to pass the test again when the period of disqualification comes to an end.”
>
> https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/crime/kirkcaldy-motorist-almost-hit-cyclist-and-pedestrians-in-high-speed-police-chase-3639313

It was a cyclist's fault. Motorists only break the law when they have to swerve to avoid unlit cyclists. If a motorist fails to stop for Police it is because he is afraid a cyclist may attack him so he is trying to get to the nearest Police Station.

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit fairy-cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<jb0btsFk0jeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7829&group=uk.rec.cycling#7829

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit fairy-cyclist and pedestrians in
high-speed police chase
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:59:24 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:59 UTC

> David Ingram, of Seafield View, appeared for sentencing before Sheriff Pino Di Emidio at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court recently.
>
> Ingram, 38, admitted driving dangerously and at excessive speed on June 1, 2021 through roads in Kirkcaldy including Balwearie Road, Abbotshall Road, Pratt Street, Esplanade and Bridge Street, the B9157, the unclassified Kissing Trees Road, the A909 and Cowdenbeath Road near Burntisland and Mill Farm Road, Aberdour before reaching Braefoot Bay Marine Terminal and the A921.
>
> He admitted travelling through a red light (SURELY NOT- SM) and forcing another vehicle to swerve to avoid a collision, driving around corners at excessive speed, driving too close to a fairy-cyclist and pedestrians and travelling through metal road barriers and traffic cones.
>
> Ingram went on to drive at speed onto a section of the roadway, which was closed to traffic.
>
> Ingram also admitted driving towards a stationary police vehicle, narrowly avoiding striking it and finally mounting a pavement (SURELY NOT- SM) and a grass verge, all while he was being pursued by police vehicles displaying flashing blue lights, contrary to the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Was he up on a charge of missing the police car, then?

> The pursuit left his car damaged as well as damaging the road barriers he hit.
>
> Ingram’s defence lawyer said his client was at a “low ebb” in his life at the time of the offending. He said his client was aware that his employment could be jeopardised by a driving disqualification.
>
> Sheriff Di Emidio told Ingram: “I have taken into account everything that has been said including what was written in the report.
>
> "This was a bad piece of driving.
>
> "But I think I can treat this as an isolated matter.
>
> "Because of what has been written in the report I am going to require you to carry out 120 hours if unpaid work, taking account of your early guilty plea.
>
> "This will be for a period of one year.
>
> "You will also be disqualified from driving for 12 months, discounted from 18 months, and you will be required to pass the test again when the period of disqualification comes to an end.”
>
> https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/crime/kirkcaldy-motorist-almost-hit-cyclist-and-pedestrians-in-high-speed-police-chase-3639313

Sounds more than fair.

But:

QUOTE:
> Sheriff Di Emidio told Ingram: “... I think I can treat this as an
isolated matter"
ENDQUOTE

Of how many (or how few) *fairy-cyclists* could it be said that
"mounting a pavement" (fairy-cycling along the pedestrian footway) is an
isolated matter?

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<9461f183-de4f-4f37-ac98-7708833a4e67n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7837&group=uk.rec.cycling#7837

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:03:36 -0700 (PDT)
high-speed police chase
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:03 UTC

> > https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/crime/kirkcaldy-motorist-almost-hit-cyclist-and-pedestrians-in-high-speed-police-chase-3639313
> It was a cyclist's fault. Motorists only break the law when they have to swerve to avoid unlit cyclists. If a motorist fails to stop for Police it is because he is afraid a cyclist may attack him so he is trying to get to the nearest Police Station.

Good to see that the law now includes "driving too close to a cyclist " as a specific offence.
It was in his lengthy rap list.

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<t2grg0$g6t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7856&group=uk.rec.cycling#7856

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
high-speed police chase
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 07:35:27 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 07:35 UTC

On 04/04/2022 16:03, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Good to see that the law now includes "driving too close to a cyclist " as a specific offence.
> It was in his lengthy rap list.

What we need now is a specific law of 'cycling too close to pedestrians'.

--
Spike

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<5735d858-8da8-4b33-9e01-60541dac8fb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7866&group=uk.rec.cycling#7866

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 03:02:46 -0700 (PDT)
high-speed police chase
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:02 UTC

QUOTE:
The pursuit left his car damaged as well as damaging the road barriers he hit. ENDS

Let's hope that the criminal driver pays for the damage he caused to the street furniture.

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<t2h4jm$tvc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7870&group=uk.rec.cycling#7870

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
high-speed police chase
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:11:02 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:11 UTC

On 05/04/2022 10:02, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE:
> The pursuit left his car damaged as well as damaging the road barriers he hit. ENDS

> Let's hope that the criminal driver pays for the damage he caused to the street furniture.

This cyclist got away with it:

<https://www.republicworld.com/entertainment-news/whats-viral/dont-text-and-bike-cyclist-busy-on-phone-crashes-into-parked-van-watch.html>

--
Spike

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<7d6c0b9b-5524-41d8-9221-c32cc36d3580n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7873&group=uk.rec.cycling#7873

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 03:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
high-speed police chase
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:17 UTC

QUOTE:
You will also be disqualified from driving for 12 months, discounted from 18 months, and you will be required to pass the test again when the period of disqualification comes to an end.” ENDS

Hopefully he will hit another barrier during his retest and fail it. :-)

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit fairy-cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<jb2nucF3ctjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7875&group=uk.rec.cycling#7875

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
high-speed police chase
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:36:44 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 11:36 UTC

On 05/04/2022 11:02 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE:
> The pursuit left his car damaged as well as damaging the road barriers he hit. ENDS

> Let's hope that the criminal driver pays for the damage he caused to the street furniture.

Was he a driver?

Or was he unlicenced and therefore nothing more than a mere fairy-cyclist?

It's important because as a fairy-cyclist, he wouldn't have been insured
and so would be personally liable for any damage or injuries caused.

But if he was insured, his policy will be made to pay up for the damage
caused to property.

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<t2h9rg$1bte$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7877&group=uk.rec.cycling#7877

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
high-speed police chase
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 11:40:32 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 11:40 UTC

On 05/04/2022 10:17, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE:
> You will also be disqualified from driving for 12 months, discounted from 18 months, and you will be required to pass the test again when the period of disqualification comes to an end.” ENDS

> Hopefully he will hit another barrier during his retest and fail it. :-)

Would he fail the retest if a cyclist crashed into him?

<https://i.ytimg.com/vi/w0g3LEMuSlQ/hqdefault.jpg>

--
Spike

Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase

<c0d2ea31-9162-4ca2-9496-0ec1a5f2998en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7885&group=uk.rec.cycling#7885

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 05:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
high-speed police chase
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:46 UTC

QUOTE: Ingram’s defence lawyer said his client was at a “low ebb” in his life at the time of the offending. He said his client was aware that his employment could be jeopardised by a driving disqualification. ENDS

What happened to the usual "exceptional hardship" wriggle?
It usually works on soft judges.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Kirkcaldy motorist almost hit cyclist and pedestrians in high-speed police chase