Maybe we could paint GOLDIE HAWN a rich PRUSSIAN BLUE --

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Slightly flaking leather office chair

SubjectAuthor
* Slightly flaking leather office chairpinnerite
+* Re: Slightly flaking leather office chairBob Eager
|`* Re: Slightly flaking leather office chairfred
| +- Re: Slightly flaking leather office chairrick
| `* Re: Slightly flaking leather office chairalan_m
|  `- Re: Slightly flaking leather office chairalan_m
`* Re: Slightly flaking leather office chairVir Campestris
 `- Re: Slightly flaking leather office chairThe Natural Philosopher

1
Slightly flaking leather office chair

<20221124142551.851df25df8634087a43e79f1@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79136&group=uk.d-i-y#79136

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Slightly flaking leather office chair
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:25:51 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:25 UTC

I have a very comfortable office chair puchased from Costco a few years ago.

I've just noticed the leather on one corner of one arm has some flaking of the tpop surface.
Has anyone found a solution when faced with this?

TIA

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-132-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Slightly flaking leather office chair

<ju9e7pFnkdaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79139&group=uk.d-i-y#79139

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Slightly flaking leather office chair
Date: 24 Nov 2022 14:43:05 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:43 UTC

On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:25:51 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

> I have a very comfortable office chair puchased from Costco a few years
> ago.
>
> I've just noticed the leather on one corner of one arm has some flaking
> of the tpop surface.
> Has anyone found a solution when faced with this?

The arms are often fairly generic. When the arms on mine disintegrated, I
got new ones cheaply from (I think) Chair Doctor.

Re: Slightly flaking leather office chair

<a06624ba-8a89-4cc0-be55-4ed0553fc283n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79245&group=uk.d-i-y#79245

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 01:41:26 -0800 (PST)
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:41 UTC

On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 2:43:09 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:25:51 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
>
> > I have a very comfortable office chair puchased from Costco a few years
> > ago.
> >
> > I've just noticed the leather on one corner of one arm has some flaking
> > of the tpop surface.
> > Has anyone found a solution when faced with this?
> The arms are often fairly generic. When the arms on mine disintegrated, I
> got new ones cheaply from (I think) Chair Doctor.
>

> --
> My posts are my copyright and if @diy_forums or Home Owners' Hub
> wish to copy them they can pay me £1 a message.
> Use the BIG mirror service in the UK: http://www.mirrorservice.org
> *lightning surge protection* - a w_tom conductor

I would guess th 'leather' chair bought from Costco is actually covered in reconstituted leather
or worse
'Artificial leather, also called synthetic leather, is a material intended to substitute for leather in upholstery, clothing, footwear, and other uses where a leather-like finish is desired but the actual material is cost prohibitive or unsuitable. Artificial leather is known under many names, including leatherette, imitation leather, faux leather, vegan leather, PU leather, and pleather' Thank you Wiki

Re: Slightly flaking leather office chair

<tlq4av$rs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79249&group=uk.d-i-y#79249

From: rick_hug...@_remove_btconnect.com (rick)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:10:39 +0000
 by: rick - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:10 UTC

On 25/11/2022 09:41, fred wrote:
> On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 2:43:09 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:25:51 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
>>
>>> I have a very comfortable office chair puchased from Costco a few years
>>> ago.

You could try a leather dressing it will soften leather if it is hardening

Re: Slightly flaking leather office chair

<jubj8uF5tlvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79255&group=uk.d-i-y#79255

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:21:18 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:21 UTC

On 25/11/2022 09:41, fred wrote:
> On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 2:43:09 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:25:51 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
>>
>>> I have a very comfortable office chair puchased from Costco a few years
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> I've just noticed the leather on one corner of one arm has some flaking
>>> of the tpop surface.
>>> Has anyone found a solution when faced with this?
>> The arms are often fairly generic. When the arms on mine disintegrated, I
>> got new ones cheaply from (I think) Chair Doctor.
>>

>> --
>> My posts are my copyright and if @diy_forums or Home Owners' Hub
>> wish to copy them they can pay me £1 a message.
>> Use the BIG mirror service in the UK: http://www.mirrorservice.org
>> *lightning surge protection* - a w_tom conductor
>

> I would guess th 'leather' chair bought from Costco is actually covered in reconstituted leather
> or worse
> 'Artificial leather, also called synthetic leather, is a material intended to substitute for leather in upholstery, clothing, footwear, and other uses where a leather-like finish is desired but the actual material is cost prohibitive or unsuitable. Artificial leather is known under many names, including leatherette, imitation leather, faux leather, vegan leather, PU leather, and pleather' Thank you Wiki

Bonded leather
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather

quote
Lower-quality materials may suffer flaking of the surface material in as
little as a few years
/quote

Re: Slightly flaking leather office chair

<jubjl5F5tlvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79257&group=uk.d-i-y#79257

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:27:49 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:27 UTC

On 25/11/2022 10:21, alan_m wrote:

> Bonded leather
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather
>
> quote
> Lower-quality materials may suffer flaking of the surface material in as
> little as a few years
> /quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=703ac0mnC8Y

Re: Slightly flaking leather office chair

<tltied$1e0fa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79418&group=uk.d-i-y#79418

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 17:29:49 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 17:29 UTC

On 24/11/2022 14:25, pinnerite wrote:
> I have a very comfortable office chair puchased from Costco a few years ago.
>
> I've just noticed the leather on one corner of one arm has some flaking of the tpop surface.
> Has anyone found a solution when faced with this?
>
> TIA

My "leather" chair appears to have a thin layer of vinyl on top, which
mostly came off during lockdown when I was using it a lot.

The seat appears to be polishing up as if it is real leather.

I just put up with the suede effect. I can't replace it; it was bought
with the last birthday money my father gave me before he died.

Andy

Re: Slightly flaking leather office chair

<tltlge$1e9ik$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79421&group=uk.d-i-y#79421

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 18:22:06 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 18:22 UTC

On 26/11/2022 17:29, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 24/11/2022 14:25, pinnerite wrote:
>> I have a very comfortable office chair puchased from Costco a few
>> years ago.
>>
>> I've just noticed the leather on one corner of one arm has some
>> flaking of the tpop surface.
>> Has anyone found a solution when faced with this?
>>
>> TIA
>>
> My "leather" chair appears to have a thin layer of vinyl on top, which
> mostly came off during lockdown when I was using it a lot.
>
> The seat appears to be polishing up as if it is real leather.
>
> I just put up with the suede effect. I can't replace it; it was bought
> with the last birthday money my father gave me before he died.
>
> Andy
Very possible to re upholster with real leather....

Mark Twain