Screw up your courage! You've screwed up everything else.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

SubjectAuthor
* Strange USB PSU issue and a merry danceHarry Bloomfield Esq
+- Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry danceJohn Rumm
`* Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry danceBrian Gaff
 +- Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry danceHarry Bloomfield Esq
 `* Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry danceTheo
  `* Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry danceHarry Bloomfield Esq
   `* Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry danceJohn Walliker
    `- Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry danceHarry Bloomfield Esq

1
Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

<tlt0v7$1avcb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79382&group=uk.d-i-y#79382

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:31:36 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:31 UTC

USB wallwart, supplied power to a RPi, which subsequently fed USB power
to my weather stations display. RPi logs data and provides a web site.
Display had batteries, for independence when not on USB supply.

The web site went off air, then days later the display went blank. Power
LED on RPi remained lit throughout, so I made a wrong assumption that
the USB PSU was OK.

I checked the display on another USB PSU, that worked, pulled the USB
leads out and checked those. I began to think the internal PCB
connections for the USB might have failed and was about to pull that
apart, but thought to plug the RPi into another PSU first - which worked.

I've not yet got around to checking out the obviously faulty PSU yet.

Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

<tlt5o2$1csv5$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79387&group=uk.d-i-y#79387

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 13:53:05 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 13:53 UTC

On 26/11/2022 12:31, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> USB wallwart, supplied power to a RPi, which subsequently fed USB power
> to my weather stations display. RPi logs data and provides a web site.
> Display had batteries, for independence when not on USB supply.
>
> The web site went off air, then days later the display went blank. Power
> LED on RPi remained lit throughout, so I made a wrong assumption that
> the USB PSU was OK.
>
> I checked the display on another USB PSU, that worked, pulled the USB
> leads out and checked those. I began to think the internal PCB
> connections for the USB might have failed and was about to pull that
> apart, but thought to plug the RPi into another PSU first - which worked.
>
> I've not yet got around to checking out the obviously faulty PSU yet.

Yup it can be frustrating trying to fault find when the thing that you
had assumed was beyond question turns out to be the problem all along!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

<tlvkql$1lu60$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79466&group=uk.d-i-y#79466

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 12:22:45 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 12:22 UTC

Are you aware that some of these require a certain load to work properly?
Apple ones go into pulse mode when current drain is low. I'd imagine that
this is deliberate to protect batteries on charge?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Harry Bloomfield Esq" <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote in message
> USB wallwart, supplied power to a RPi, which subsequently fed USB power to
> my weather stations display. RPi logs data and provides a web site.
> Display had batteries, for independence when not on USB supply.
>
> The web site went off air, then days later the display went blank. Power
> LED on RPi remained lit throughout, so I made a wrong assumption that the
> USB PSU was OK.
>
> I checked the display on another USB PSU, that worked, pulled the USB
> leads out and checked those. I began to think the internal PCB connections
> for the USB might have failed and was about to pull that apart, but
> thought to plug the RPi into another PSU first - which worked.
>
> I've not yet got around to checking out the obviously faulty PSU yet.

Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

<tlvmb3$1luap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79469&group=uk.d-i-y#79469

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 12:48:37 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 12:48 UTC

On 27/11/2022 12:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Are you aware that some of these require a certain load to work properly?
> Apple ones go into pulse mode when current drain is low. I'd imagine that
> this is deliberate to protect batteries on charge?

The PSU + RPi + display combined load has worked fine for many years.

Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

<iDq*0Fn4y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79471&group=uk.d-i-y#79471

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Nov 2022 13:02:08 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 13:02 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you aware that some of these require a certain load to work properly?
> Apple ones go into pulse mode when current drain is low. I'd imagine that
> this is deliberate to protect batteries on charge?

I think the pulsing is the way they save power by detecting if there's a
load. If they sense there's no load, they go to sleep and turn off the
output. Every so often they wake up and turn on the load to the full 5V,
then they wait a little while and measure the current. If there's
insufficient current they go back to sleep, while if they sense current
being drawn they keep the output on.

Once a phone is fully charged it'll stop taking power from the PSU, and so
perhaps the PSU detects it's in 'no load' and goes into this sleep
behaviour.

Theo

Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

<tm2m3j$1v8di$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79527&group=uk.d-i-y#79527

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:02:59 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:02 UTC

On 27/11/2022 13:02, Theo wrote:
> I think the pulsing is the way they save power by detecting if there's a
> load. If they sense there's no load, they go to sleep and turn off the
> output. Every so often they wake up and turn on the load to the full 5V,
> then they wait a little while and measure the current. If there's
> insufficient current they go back to sleep, while if they sense current
> being drawn they keep the output on.

I'm not so convinced that is correct...

Old desktop PSU's would pulse in the same way, if they had no load. Add
a load whilst they were pulsing, and they would not then power up. The
only way was to remove mains power, wait a few seconds, then reapply the
mains.

Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

<da4718b4-14d6-412d-a0c3-196c421b0a64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79538&group=uk.d-i-y#79538

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 09:54:26 -0800 (PST)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 17:54 UTC

On Monday, 28 November 2022 at 16:03:16 UTC, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 27/11/2022 13:02, Theo wrote:
> > I think the pulsing is the way they save power by detecting if there's a
> > load. If they sense there's no load, they go to sleep and turn off the
> > output. Every so often they wake up and turn on the load to the full 5V,
> > then they wait a little while and measure the current. If there's
> > insufficient current they go back to sleep, while if they sense current
> > being drawn they keep the output on.
> I'm not so convinced that is correct...
>
> Old desktop PSU's would pulse in the same way, if they had no load. Add
> a load whilst they were pulsing, and they would not then power up. The
> only way was to remove mains power, wait a few seconds, then reapply the
> mains.

A USB power supply will never pulse on and off with no load unless it is broken.

John

Re: Strange USB PSU issue and a merry dance

<tm2uug$2186c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79544&group=uk.d-i-y#79544

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:33:52 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:33 UTC

On 28/11/2022 17:54, John Walliker wrote:
> A USB power supply will never pulse on and off with no load unless it is broken.

Just to make clear - My USB PSU didn't seem to be pulsing it's output,
the power LED on my RPi was fully and continuously lit.

I have not yet investigated the output of the failed PSU.