You should all JUMP UP AND DOWN for TWO HOURS while I decide on a NEW CAREER!!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.

SubjectAuthor
* "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.Jethro_uk
+* Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.Jethro_uk
|`* Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.John Rumm
| `- Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.Theo
`* Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.alan_m
 `- Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.Jethro_uk

1
"MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.

<tlt9bl$1bqnq$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79391&group=uk.d-i-y#79391

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 14:54:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 14:54 UTC

Possibly connected to an "app" update.

Woke up this morning to a cold house. My Smart thermostat was offline.

After an hour of faffing, I finally re-paired it to the app (It's a Zigbee
wireless gateway, for the record - Thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=QAEtp-7QBQU )

Anyway, now it seems to think it's 24C in the room, which it most
certainly is not. And by that I mean it *really* thinks it's 24C, so I
have to set the thermostat to 26 to get the boiler to fire.

So unless there are some minute life forms living on the sensor,
something is amiss.

I can't see how it can be app-related. But then why else would this
happen ?

Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.

<tltcrh$1bqnq$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79405&group=uk.d-i-y#79405

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:54:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:54 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 14:54:45 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

> Possibly connected to an "app" update.
>
> Woke up this morning to a cold house. My Smart thermostat was offline.
>
> After an hour of faffing, I finally re-paired it to the app (It's a
> Zigbee wireless gateway, for the record - Thanks
> https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=QAEtp-7QBQU )
>
> Anyway, now it seems to think it's 24C in the room, which it most
> certainly is not. And by that I mean it *really* thinks it's 24C, so I
> have to set the thermostat to 26 to get the boiler to fire.
>
> So unless there are some minute life forms living on the sensor,
> something is amiss.
>
> I can't see how it can be app-related. But then why else would this
> happen ?

Aha ! To answer my own problem, there is an offset

https://fil-tec.ru/uploads/docs/moes-bht-002-wifi.pdf

Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.

<juerq2Fl7qqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79407&group=uk.d-i-y#79407

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 16:05:22 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 16:05 UTC

On 26/11/2022 14:54, Jethro_uk wrote:
> Possibly connected to an "app" update.
>
> Woke up this morning to a cold house. My Smart thermostat was offline.
>
> After an hour of faffing, I finally re-paired it to the app (It's a Zigbee
> wireless gateway, for the record - Thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?
> v=QAEtp-7QBQU )
>
> Anyway, now it seems to think it's 24C in the room, which it most
> certainly is not. And by that I mean it *really* thinks it's 24C, so I
> have to set the thermostat to 26 to get the boiler to fire.
>
> So unless there are some minute life forms living on the sensor,
> something is amiss.
>
> I can't see how it can be app-related. But then why else would this
> happen ?

If you have had the thermostat in your hand you may/will have warmed up
the case. When I program my wireless thermostat I have to wait approx 10
minutes before it reads the room ambient again.

Also many "smart" thermostats have a temperature error/correction
adjustment. Often used to adjust for the thermostat being placed in a
position where it doesn't accurately measure the mean room temperature.
Have you inadvertently set this offset adjustment too, say, 4C?

Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.

<tltea9$1dng9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79409&group=uk.d-i-y#79409

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 16:19:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 16:19 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 16:05:22 +0000, alan_m wrote:

> On 26/11/2022 14:54, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> Possibly connected to an "app" update.
>>
>> Woke up this morning to a cold house. My Smart thermostat was offline.
>>
>> After an hour of faffing, I finally re-paired it to the app (It's a
>> Zigbee wireless gateway, for the record - Thanks
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=QAEtp-7QBQU )
>>
>> Anyway, now it seems to think it's 24C in the room, which it most
>> certainly is not. And by that I mean it *really* thinks it's 24C, so I
>> have to set the thermostat to 26 to get the boiler to fire.
>>
>> So unless there are some minute life forms living on the sensor,
>> something is amiss.
>>
>> I can't see how it can be app-related. But then why else would this
>> happen ?
>

> If you have had the thermostat in your hand you may/will have warmed up
> the case. When I program my wireless thermostat I have to wait approx 10
> minutes before it reads the room ambient again.
>
> Also many "smart" thermostats have a temperature error/correction
> adjustment. Often used to adjust for the thermostat being placed in a
> position where it doesn't accurately measure the mean room temperature.
> Have you inadvertently set this offset adjustment too, say, 4C?

Yes (red face)

Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.

<tltqjn$1enal$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79430&group=uk.d-i-y#79430

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:49:11 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:49 UTC

On 26/11/2022 15:54, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 14:54:45 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:
>
>> Possibly connected to an "app" update.
>>
>> Woke up this morning to a cold house. My Smart thermostat was offline.
>>
>> After an hour of faffing, I finally re-paired it to the app (It's a
>> Zigbee wireless gateway, for the record - Thanks
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=QAEtp-7QBQU )
>>
>> Anyway, now it seems to think it's 24C in the room, which it most
>> certainly is not. And by that I mean it *really* thinks it's 24C, so I
>> have to set the thermostat to 26 to get the boiler to fire.
>>
>> So unless there are some minute life forms living on the sensor,
>> something is amiss.
>>
>> I can't see how it can be app-related. But then why else would this
>> happen ?
>
> Aha ! To answer my own problem, there is an offset
>
> https://fil-tec.ru/uploads/docs/moes-bht-002-wifi.pdf

Handy, probably been hacked by the Russians as a new tool for energy
disruption in Europe!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: "MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.

<iDq*sbn4y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79460&group=uk.d-i-y#79460

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Nov 2022 10:51:52 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 10:51 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> Handy, probably been hacked by the Russians as a new tool for energy
> disruption in Europe!

The nice thing about this particular thermostat is you can reflash it with
firmware that's entirely local and doesn't talk to the mothership in China:
https://github.com/klausahrenberg/WThermostatBeca

(although that may require the wifi version of the thermostat - not sure if
the Zigbee one is compatible)

I would expect also that local-only firmware wouldn't randomly fail if the
mothership is down, and at most would require a power cycle to get working
again.

Theo