Killing turkeys causes winter.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

SubjectAuthor
* Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalSpike
+- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalJNugent
+* Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalSpike
+* Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalJNugent
|`- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalSpike
+* Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalJNugent
|`- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalSpike
+- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalSpike
`- Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removalswldx...@gmail.com

1
Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<35b4c88c-0784-42d7-9f1b-bc1b36ebf434n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7943&group=uk.rec.cycling#7943

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:39:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:39 UTC

SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.

A PENSIONER from Bournemouth says his independence is lost after losing his driving licence following a failed assessment – but insists he can prove he is a competent driver.

George Prince, 86, believes he has been “sewn up” by motoring authorities who revoked his driving licence after a report found him to be an unsafe driver.

Last year, while driving down Castle Lane West in Bournemouth, George was involved in a crash with another vehicle after he missed a traffic light change from green to red. Nobody was injured and he took responsibility for the accident.

Dorset Police gave the father of two the option of going to court or take a ‘fitness to drive’ assessment by Wessex Driveability, a Driving Mobility accredited organisation used by police.

Following the examination, Wessex Driveability gave George a MoCA (Montreal Cognitive Assessment) score of 24/30, two below what is considered normal, and was described as “unsafe” in the driving report.

However, the Springvale Avenue resident questioned the truthfulness of the report. He told the Echo: “I was two off, that doesn’t make me a bad driver as another day I could have got the better score. But there are several anomalies in their report which I’m challenging.”

In George’s report, the assessor wrote: “On several occasions assessor intervention on the steering wheel to maintain safety was required”. Of this, furious George said: “[The assessor] never put a finger on the steering wheel. If [they] had, I’d have stopped the car – it’s just a blatant lie.

“From the start, I feel they made up their mind that I was going to be unsafe. I don’t think I had the chance.”

The DVLA, having received Wessex Driveability’s report, elected to revoke George’s licence after 60 years of driving.

Incensed by the decision, George sought further opinions. He underwent an assessment with IAM RoadSmart and was marked as either ‘excellent’ or ‘competent’ in each of the 12 assessment points.

A requirement for reapplying for a licence with the DLVA is to provide a medical examination report from a doctor. George was subsequently seen by his doctor, scoring 27/30 on the MoCA screening and full marks on a mental state examination scale.

George described these two reports as “proof” that he can still be a safe driver.

“I am losing my temper I’m afraid,” he said. “I’m stuck and don’t know what to do. I’m not sleeping well because I keep waking up thinking about what’s happened, it’s always on my mind.

“I feel like my independence is lost. I may be 86 but I feel I’ve got another five or ten years in me yet, and the last thing I want is to be banned from driving – which is something I love, and I know I can do it.”

Rachel Odell, Wessex Driveability’s centre manager, sympathised with George’s plight but defended the assessment process.

She said: “We have two assessors, an occupational therapist making detailed notes on a very strict scoring sheet and a driver assessor.

“He was two points below normal on the cognitive test which is still a pretty good score and we never make assumptions based on the test as we’ve seen people score low on that and then drive well. That wasn’t the case with Mr Prince.

“Part of our impartiality is to have two decision makers, it’s a collective response and the decision was made collectively.”

Ms Odell also said while the test result was “unfortunate”, they would be happy welcome George back in the future.

According to Wessex Driveability figures, 89 per cent of those aged 70 to 75 are rated safe. This reduces to 69 per cent for 81 to 85 year olds, which is then almost halved for 86 to 90 year olds who have just a 37 per cent pass rate.

A DVLA spokesperson said: “When considering an application to issue a driving licence we aim to make a decision as quickly as possible. However more complex transactions, for example if medical investigations are needed, will take longer.

“Where we require additional information from a driver’s doctor or the driver themselves we are wholly reliant on receiving this information before a decision can be made.”

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/20039507.headline/?fbclid=IwAR3mbygeouoDHWKCADT3-aay3dkJyGvIjmHSChRMGlm32r7GVAZEuvDplB0

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<t2m7pc$eec$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7951&group=uk.rec.cycling#7951

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:35:56 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:35 UTC

On 06/04/2022 20:39, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.

WHAT WE NEED ARE SAFER PAVEMENTS FOR PEDESTRIANS

--
Spike

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<2f8f096a-5d18-4625-bf2b-2f9cde12b2a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7957&group=uk.rec.cycling#7957

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 02:46:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:46 UTC

On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.

QUOTE: “I am losing my temper I’m afraid,” ENDS

The last thing we need is an angry old duffer who missed a red light and hit another car getting his licence back at 86 years old.

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<jb88tcF5g92U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7969&group=uk.rec.cycling#7969

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 14:57:00 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:57 UTC

> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.
>
> A PENSIONER from Bournemouth says his independence is lost after losing his driving licence following a failed assessment – but insists he can prove he is a competent driver.
> George Prince, 86, believes he has been “sewn up” by motoring authorities who revoked his driving licence after a report found him to be an unsafe driver.
> Last year, while driving down Castle Lane West in Bournemouth, George was involved in a crash with another vehicle after he missed a traffic light change from green to red. Nobody was injured and he took responsibility for the accident.
> Dorset Police gave the father of two the option of going to court or take a ‘fitness to drive’ assessment by Wessex Driveability, a Driving Mobility accredited organisation used by police.
> Following the examination, Wessex Driveability gave George a MoCA (Montreal Cognitive Assessment) score of 24/30, two below what is considered normal, and was described as “unsafe” in the driving report.

> However, the Springvale Avenue resident questioned the truthfulness of the report. He told the Echo: “I was two off, that doesn’t make me a bad driver as another day I could have got the better score. But there are several anomalies in their report which I’m challenging.”

But his challenge is not being process properly.

> In George’s report, the assessor wrote: “On several occasions assessor intervention on the steering wheel to maintain safety was required”. Of this, furious George said: “[The assessor] never put a finger on the steering wheel. If [they] had, I’d have stopped the car – it’s just a blatant lie.
> “From the start, I feel they made up their mind that I was going to be unsafe. I don’t think I had the chance.”

I can believe it.

> The DVLA, having received Wessex Driveability’s report, elected to revoke George’s licence after 60 years of driving.
> Incensed by the decision, George sought further opinions. He underwent an assessment with IAM RoadSmart and was marked as either ‘excellent’ or ‘competent’ in each of the 12 assessment points.
> A requirement for reapplying for a licence with the DLVA is to provide a medical examination report from a doctor. George was subsequently seen by his doctor, scoring 27/30 on the MoCA screening and full marks on a mental state examination scale.

That really should be that. Licence returned and an apology. Plus out of
pocket expenses for taxis, time taken with the appeal and consultation
process, etc.

> George described these two reports as “proof” that he can still be a safe driver.

Quite.

We have a family friend who drives safely and is some years older than
"George". I'm happy accepting a lift from him.

> “I am losing my temper I’m afraid,” he said. “I’m stuck and don’t know what to do. I’m not sleeping well because I keep waking up thinking about what’s happened, it’s always on my mind.

Injustice can have that effect. Especially when it is having a
life-wrecking effect.

> “I feel like my independence is lost. I may be 86 but I feel I’ve got another five or ten years in me yet, and the last thing I want is to be banned from driving – which is something I love, and I know I can do it.”
>
> Rachel Odell, Wessex Driveability’s centre manager, sympathised with George’s plight but defended the assessment process.
> She said: “We have two assessors, an occupational therapist making detailed notes on a very strict scoring sheet and a driver assessor.
> “He was two points below normal on the cognitive test which is still a pretty good score and we never make assumptions based on the test as we’ve seen people score low on that and then drive well. That wasn’t the case with Mr Prince.
> “Part of our impartiality is to have two decision makers, it’s a collective response and the decision was made collectively.”

That is NOT "impartiality".

Do they need a dictionary at "Wessex Driveability"?

It seems they need to make decisions which "prove" that they're not a
waste of money.

> Ms Odell also said while the test result was “unfortunate”, they would be happy welcome George back in the future.
> According to Wessex Driveability figures, 89 per cent of those aged 70 to 75 are rated safe. This reduces to 69 per cent for 81 to 85 year olds, which is then almost halved for 86 to 90 year olds who have just a 37 per cent pass rate.
> A DVLA spokesperson said: “When considering an application to issue a driving licence we aim to make a decision as quickly as possible.

Then GET ON WITH IT!

> However more complex transactions, for example if medical investigations are needed, will take longer.

There is no suggestion of any need for a medical investigation in the
instant case. That's all been done.

> “Where we require additional information from a driver’s doctor or the driver themselves we are wholly reliant on receiving this information before a decision can be made.”
>
> https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/20039507.headline/?fbclid=IwAR3mbygeouoDHWKCADT3-aay3dkJyGvIjmHSChRMGlm32r7GVAZEuvDplB0

This a very straightforward denial of human rights under the UK Act and
under the European Convention.

[And for that matter, even under Magna Carta.]

No penalty may be imposed except by due process. Due process requires a
fair trial and a valid and operational appeals system. George has not
had that.

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<5b4a56e0-1934-4206-a002-ecb651f3aedcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7974&group=uk.rec.cycling#7974

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:52:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 15:52 UTC

On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.

QUOTE: Last year, while driving down Castle Lane West in Bournemouth, George was involved in a crash with another vehicle after he missed a traffic light change from green to red. He has already stated that the ban has left him feeling "angry".

He is 86 as well.

A correct decision to remove his licence. More please.

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<t2n1qb$1ea4$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7979&group=uk.rec.cycling#7979

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:00:13 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:00 UTC

On 07/04/2022 15:52, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.

> QUOTE: Last year, while driving down Castle Lane West in Bournemouth, George was involved in a crash with another vehicle after he missed a traffic light change from green to red. He has already stated that the ban has left him feeling "angry".

> He is 86 as well.

> A correct decision to remove his licence. More please.

It's illegal to discriminate on the grounds of age.

Wind your neck in or risk people taking screen shots of your messages to
pass to the police.

--
Spike

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<ffcdf69d-ba5a-4ba2-9e48-91c71ba00206n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7981&group=uk.rec.cycling#7981

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:05:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:05 UTC

On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.

QUOTE: “On several occasions assessor intervention on the steering wheel to maintain safety was required” ENDS

So the old duffer needs dual controls as well? Obviously NOT fit enough to get his licence back.
Oh dear.

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<jb8hm4F75inU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7984&group=uk.rec.cycling#7984

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:26:44 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:26 UTC

> On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.
>
> QUOTE: “On several occasions assessor intervention on the steering wheel to maintain safety was required” ENDS
>
> So the old duffer needs dual controls as well? Obviously NOT fit enough to get his licence back.
> Oh dear.

Are you fully recovered from your... er... "condition" yet?

You don't sound as though you're safe to be out on your own.

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<f0c1bd34-2324-4242-b238-b6b4e5bc84a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7988&group=uk.rec.cycling#7988

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:31:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:31 UTC

QUOTE:

A PENSIONER from Bournemouth says his independence is lost after losing his driving licence following a failed assessment – but insists he can prove he is a competent driver.

George Prince, 86, believes he has been “sewn up” by motoring authorities who revoked his driving licence after a report found him to be an unsafe driver.ENDS

What would be the motive of the "motoring authorities" to "sew him up"?
He thinks that there is some sort of conspiracy instead of him falling short of being a safe driver.
Paranoid?

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<jb8ie5F7b3gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7993&group=uk.rec.cycling#7993

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:39:33 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:39 UTC

> QUOTE:
>
> A PENSIONER from Bournemouth says his independence is lost after losing his driving licence following a failed assessment – but insists he can prove he is a competent driver.
>
> George Prince, 86, believes he has been “sewn up” by motoring authorities who revoked his driving licence after a report found him to be an unsafe driver.ENDS
>
> What would be the motive of the "motoring authorities" to "sew him up"?

Possibly the same motivation as idiot fairy-cyclists posting here who
think that George's predicament is somehow "funny".

> He thinks that there is some sort of conspiracy instead of him falling short of being a safe driver.
> Paranoid?

No. A private company providing "services" whose usefulness and value is
highly doubtful feeling that it has to penalise people in order to
justify its existence and its no doubt lucrative contract.

If this were a case of a company like ATOS ruling you fit for work when
you'd rather lie around at home at the expense of others, you'd be
reacting in a similar way to George (though with far less justification).

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<cac05825-8bbc-497a-9d95-d9c7b030e45en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7994&group=uk.rec.cycling#7994

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:43:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:43 UTC

On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.

QUOTE: The DVLA, having received Wessex Driveability’s report, elected to revoke George’s licence after 60 years of driving. ENDS.

Ah - the nasty corrupt DVLA banning "innocent" people from getting behind the wheel of a killing vehicle due to their senility.

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<064f7cc4-4276-4478-9a4b-2a5bec4dafe6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7995&group=uk.rec.cycling#7995

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:50:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:50 UTC

GasSAFE. 4th April 8:15 am
User ID: 2476744
"Furious George" Losing his temper at failing a test. Sounds like his anger management has gone down hill, along with his driver awareness. You've had a good sixty years driving George, time to get a bus pass.

Last Updated: 6th April 1:33 pm

APPLAUSE.

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<c474aacc-ccbc-4932-a91f-15425632f15an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7996&group=uk.rec.cycling#7996

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:53 UTC

AnotherMother 4th April 10:03 am
User ID: 2107708
George - Occupational Therapists undertaking the role of driving assessor are highly qualified and experienced health professionals. They are uniquely placed to assess physical and mental abilities and how they impact on your ability to participate in the occupation of driving. In addition, further specialist training is required in order to be able to administer and score the MoCA. An Occupational Therapist who doesn't know you and is completing this assessment in a neutral and unfamiliar environment; is going to elicit a more reliable score than your GP - who you know and are familiar with the environment.

Plus, by the point of asking your GP to complete the same assessment - you then had some familiarity with the assessment format, or the opportunity to brush up - using resources available online. The assessment provided by the OT was independent and also ratified by expert driver assessor at the same time. Furthermore, your lack of insight is apparent by the fact that you were and still are unaware that you were in a dual controlled vehicle, and the assessor did not need to touch your steering wheel to take control of the vehicle. Enough said really. It's time these assessment were made mandatory from 70 years of age. You could easily have hit a pedestrian, and not just missed a red traffic light.

Last Updated: 6th April 1:34 pm

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<t2n53q$17gl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7997&group=uk.rec.cycling#7997

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:56:27 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:56 UTC

On 07/04/2022 16:05, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: “On several occasions assessor intervention on the steering wheel to maintain safety was required” ENDS

> So the old duffer needs dual controls as well? Obviously NOT fit enough to get his licence back.
> Oh dear.

"In George’s report, the assessor wrote: “On several occasions assessor
intervention on the steering wheel to maintain safety was required”. Of
this, furious George said: “[The assessor] never put a finger on the
steering wheel. If [they] had, I’d have stopped the car – it’s just a
blatant lie."

--
Spike

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<t2n5e7$1c85$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7998&group=uk.rec.cycling#7998

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:02:01 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:02 UTC

On 07/04/2022 16:31, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE:

> A PENSIONER from Bournemouth says his independence is lost after losing his driving licence following a failed assessment – but insists he can prove he is a competent driver.

> George Prince, 86, believes he has been “sewn up” by motoring authorities who revoked his driving licence after a report found him to be an unsafe driver.ENDS

> What would be the motive of the "motoring authorities" to "sew him up"?
> He thinks that there is some sort of conspiracy instead of him falling short of being a safe driver.
> Paranoid?

QUOTE

Incensed by the decision, George sought further opinions. He underwent
an assessment with IAM RoadSmart and was marked as either ‘excellent’ or
‘competent’ in each of the 12 assessment points.

A requirement for reapplying for a licence with the DLVA is to provide a
medical examination report from a doctor. George was subsequently seen
by his doctor, scoring 27/30 on the MoCA screening and full marks on a
mental state examination scale.

George described these two reports as “proof” that he can still be a
safe driver.

ENDS

--
Spike

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<2294cb0a-a2de-46e9-8405-ac21e32d011en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7999&group=uk.rec.cycling#7999

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 12:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:52 UTC

On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.
daniel stacey 4th April 11:44 am
User ID: 3965593

If you can't prove you can drive safely, then Im afraid you cant have a licence. Doesn't matter if you're 16 or 86, you don't have a birth-right to be on the road if it's detrimental to others safety.

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<jba8ahFh0tjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8003&group=uk.rec.cycling#8003

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:59:15 +0000
 by: Spike - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:59 UTC

On 07/04/2022 19:52, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.

> daniel stacey 4th April 11:44 am
> User ID: 3965593

> If you can't prove you can drive safely, then Im afraid you cant have a licence. Doesn't matter if you're 16 or 86, you don't have a birth-right to be on the road if it's detrimental to others safety.

QUOTE

Incensed by the decision, George sought further opinions. He underwent
an assessment with IAM RoadSmart and was marked as either ‘excellent’ or
‘competent’ in each of the 12 assessment points.

A requirement for reapplying for a licence with the DLVA is to provide a
medical examination report from a doctor. George was subsequently seen
by his doctor, scoring 27/30 on the MoCA screening and full marks on a
mental state examination scale.

George described these two reports as “proof” that he can still be a
safe driver.

ENDS

--
Spike

Re: Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal

<7c41feba-bf21-4bcc-b584-3c33da4c34bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8008&group=uk.rec.cycling#8008

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 03:02:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 10:02 UTC

On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 9:39:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> SAFER ROADS FOR CYCLISTS.
> Anna Madrigal 4th April 7:26 pm
User ID: 634348

Why are people commenting here so stupid as to think the make of vehicle being driven bears any relevance to the competence of the driver? I have had many different makes of car during my life and I am sure that I drove no better or worse because the car carried a Peugeot, BMW, Citroen or any other badge. The point here is that the man was assessed by two professional assessors and did not meet the required standard. We none of us have an automatic right to drive and must be able to demonstrate our competence if required to do so in order to continue. The sensible people stop driving without being told to as they recognise that their reactions have slowed and their competence diminished so the only responsible course of action is to give up..

WELL SAID.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Bournemouth pensioner upset by driving licence removal