America: born free and taxed to death.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Please help me get my fountain working again

SubjectAuthor
* Please help me get my fountain working againGB
+* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againMartin Brown
|`* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againSH
| +* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againTim+
| |`- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againAndrew
| `- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againwrights...@f2s.com
+* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againRob Morley
|`* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againGB
| `- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againMartin Brown
+- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againHarry Bloomfield Esq
+- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againalan_m
+- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againAnimal
+* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againalan_m
| +* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againGB
| |`* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againAndrew
| | `- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againAnimal
| `- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againcharles
+* Re: Please help me get my fountain working againPancho
|`- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againGB
`- Re: Please help me get my fountain working againAnimal

1
Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm2pvb$20rlj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79532&group=uk.d-i-y#79532

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Please help me get my fountain working again
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 17:09:00 +0000
 by: GB - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 17:09 UTC

My porch has a fountain in it!

It looks a bit like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9

For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
lion's mouth into a little trough.

It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.

I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have drilled
right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can feed a
flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the trough.

So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.

The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.

What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?

I'll hide the pipework behind some shelving, but piping that can take a
sharp bend would be best. And how do I make the connection between the
pump and the pipe?

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm2rcs$1q9p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79535&group=uk.d-i-y#79535

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Please help me get my fountain working again
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 17:33:15 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 17:33 UTC

On 28/11/2022 17:09, GB wrote:
> My porch has a fountain in it!
>
> It looks a bit like this:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>
> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>
> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>
> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have drilled
> right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can feed a
> flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the trough.
>
> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
>
> The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
> trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.
>
> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?
>
> I'll hide the pipework behind some shelving, but piping that can take a
> sharp bend would be best. And how do I make the connection between the
> pump and the pipe?

My suggestion would be to cannibalise the cheapest nastiest solar
powered fountain pump that you can find and use silicone fuel pipe for
the actual connection between pump and head. Any old wall wart will do
as a power supply.

You might have to limit the current. The one I got for doing automatic
watering could throw water 6' into the air when on a proper 12v supply
instead of the 6" it managed with a poxy solar panel. Caught me out!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm2v9r$1hgt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79546&group=uk.d-i-y#79546

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:39:55 +0000
 by: SH - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:39 UTC

On 28/11/2022 17:33, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 17:09, GB wrote:
>> My porch has a fountain in it!
>>
>> It looks a bit like this:
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>>
>> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
>> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>>
>> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
>> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
>> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>>
>> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have
>> drilled right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can
>> feed a flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the
>> trough.
>>
>> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
>> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
>>
>> The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
>> trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.
>>
>> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?
>>
>> I'll hide the pipework behind some shelving, but piping that can take
>> a sharp bend would be best. And how do I make the connection between
>> the pump and the pipe?
>
> My suggestion would be to cannibalise the cheapest nastiest solar
> powered fountain pump that you can find and use silicone fuel pipe for
> the actual connection between pump and head. Any old wall wart will do
> as a power supply.
>
> You might have to limit the current. The one I got for doing automatic
> watering could throw water 6' into the air when on a proper 12v supply
> instead of the 6" it managed with a poxy solar panel. Caught me out!

what is 6" and 6' ?

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<20221128184045.6e37c658@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79547&group=uk.d-i-y#79547

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:40:45 +0000
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:40 UTC

On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 17:09:00 +0000
GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

> My porch has a fountain in it!
>
> It looks a bit like this:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>
> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>
> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>
> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have
> drilled right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can
> feed a flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the
> trough.
>
> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.

Why would you use a submersible pump? You're running tubes through
the wall anyway, might as well keep the electrics on the inside.
Something like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Electric-Brushless-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B0BK1XRD27
plus a bit of PVC flexible tubing. Regulate flow by reducing voltage
and/or crimping the tubing.
Don't forget to switch it off or add antifreeze when it's cold.

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm2vgl$2186c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79548&group=uk.d-i-y#79548

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:43:33 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:43 UTC

On 28/11/2022 17:09, GB wrote:
> The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
> trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.
>
> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?

I have a solar-powered pump, which pumps water from a large pot at the
bottom into a small pot at the top, to trickle down through a series of
pots. The idea was to use it, to help mask noise - which it does quite
effectively.

A tiny pump/motor sits in the bottom pot, with a small plastic feeding
up to the top.

Something similar, is all you would need - look on ebay.

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<jukeoiFgr2kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79553&group=uk.d-i-y#79553

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:59:31 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:59 UTC

On 28/11/2022 17:09, GB wrote:

> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?

Aquarium supplies - small bore plastic pipe for air lines etc.
Micro irrigation pipe for watering plant containers etc.

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<752413104.691356352.317785.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79555&group=uk.d-i-y#79555

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 28 Nov 2022 19:26:35 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 19:26 UTC

SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 17:33, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 28/11/2022 17:09, GB wrote:
>>> My porch has a fountain in it!
>>>
>>> It looks a bit like this:
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>>>
>>> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
>>> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>>>
>>> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
>>> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
>>> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>>>
>>> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have
>>> drilled right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can
>>> feed a flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the
>>> trough.
>>>
>>> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
>>> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
>>>
>>> The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
>>> trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.
>>>
>>> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?
>>>
>>> I'll hide the pipework behind some shelving, but piping that can take
>>> a sharp bend would be best. And how do I make the connection between
>>> the pump and the pipe?
>>
>> My suggestion would be to cannibalise the cheapest nastiest solar
>> powered fountain pump that you can find and use silicone fuel pipe for
>> the actual connection between pump and head. Any old wall wart will do
>> as a power supply.
>>
>> You might have to limit the current. The one I got for doing automatic
>> watering could throw water 6' into the air when on a proper 12v supply
>> instead of the 6" it managed with a poxy solar panel. Caught me out!
>>

> what is 6" and 6' ?

Standard UK nomenclature for 6 inches and 6 feet.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<7bd14b42-f623-4c8e-b669-8a385b194bfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79573&group=uk.d-i-y#79573

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 15:21:04 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 23:21 UTC

On Monday, 28 November 2022 at 17:09:03 UTC, GB wrote:
> My porch has a fountain in it!
>
> It looks a bit like this:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>
> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>
> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>
> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have drilled
> right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can feed a
> flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the trough.
>
> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
>
> The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
> trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.
>
> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?
>
> I'll hide the pipework behind some shelving, but piping that can take a
> sharp bend would be best. And how do I make the connection between the
> pump and the pipe?

Last I looked you could get a tiny submersible for £4 from China. I tried one, no problem. 3 or 4 watts iirc, produced more than a trickle.

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<1d7fcfab-87ee-49c5-aec5-9438ce0267a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79575&group=uk.d-i-y#79575

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:17:48 -0800 (PST)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 00:17 UTC

On Monday, 28 November 2022 at 18:40:11 UTC, SH wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 17:33, Martin Brown wrote:
> > On 28/11/2022 17:09, GB wrote:
> >> My porch has a fountain in it!
> >>
> >> It looks a bit like this:
> >> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
> >>
> >> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
> >> lion's mouth into a little trough.
> >>
> >> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
> >> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
> >> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
> >>
> >> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have
> >> drilled right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can
> >> feed a flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the
> >> trough.
> >>
> >> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
> >> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
> >>
> >> The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
> >> trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.
> >>
> >> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?
> >>
> >> I'll hide the pipework behind some shelving, but piping that can take
> >> a sharp bend would be best. And how do I make the connection between
> >> the pump and the pipe?
> >
> > My suggestion would be to cannibalise the cheapest nastiest solar
> > powered fountain pump that you can find and use silicone fuel pipe for
> > the actual connection between pump and head. Any old wall wart will do
> > as a power supply.
> >
> > You might have to limit the current. The one I got for doing automatic
> > watering could throw water 6' into the air when on a proper 12v supply
> > instead of the 6" it managed with a poxy solar panel. Caught me out!
> >
> what is 6" and 6' ?
6'6" obviously.
Bill

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm4iee$285sq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79584&group=uk.d-i-y#79584

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 09:12:44 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 09:12 UTC

You will find that if the area is warm the water dries up very much more
quickly than you might imagine. Anywhere you could hide a small header tank,
recalculate into that and then the low pressure gravity feed would be closer
to what was there?

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote in message
> My porch has a fountain in it!
>
> It looks a bit like this:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>
> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>
> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the lion's
> mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water board
> cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>
> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have drilled
> right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can feed a
> flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the trough.
>
> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
>
> The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
> trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.
>
> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?
>
> I'll hide the pipework behind some shelving, but piping that can take a
> sharp bend would be best. And how do I make the connection between the
> pump and the pipe?

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<jum782Fou8lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79591&group=uk.d-i-y#79591

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 11:03:30 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 11:03 UTC

On 29/11/2022 09:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
> You will find that if the area is warm the water dries up very much more
> quickly than you might imagine. Anywhere you could hide a small header tank,
> recalculate into that and then the low pressure gravity feed would be closer
> to what was there?

Where I was staying over for a couple of weeks in the summer there was
one of those solar power fountains with quite a large tank of water. The
tank had to be topped up daily. I guess the main loss of water was it
splashing on the warm/hot (artificial?) stone surround and then
evaporating quickly.

My experience with smallish pumps supplying re-circulated water outside
is make sure that you have a filter as algae can block inlets quite
quickly in summer months.

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm4tvb$28vnn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79598&group=uk.d-i-y#79598

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:29:32 +0000
 by: GB - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:29 UTC

On 28/11/2022 18:40, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 17:09:00 +0000
> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>
>> My porch has a fountain in it!
>>
>> It looks a bit like this:
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>>
>> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
>> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>>
>> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
>> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
>> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>>
>> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have
>> drilled right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can
>> feed a flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the
>> trough.
>>
>> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
>> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
>>
> Why would you use a submersible pump? You're running tubes through

That's a good point. The way I was looking at it was any leaks will be
in the pump/joints. So, have all that outside, in the pool of water.

But, I will definitely think about what you suggest.

> the wall anyway, might as well keep the electrics on the inside.
> Something like
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Electric-Brushless-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B0BK1XRD27
> plus a bit of PVC flexible tubing. Regulate flow by reducing voltage
> and/or crimping the tubing.

Slightly annoyingly, that particular one takes two different sizes of
tubing for input and output.

> Don't forget to switch it off or add antifreeze when it's cold.

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm4u3c$28vnn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79599&group=uk.d-i-y#79599

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:31:41 +0000
 by: GB - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:31 UTC

On 29/11/2022 11:03, alan_m wrote:
> On 29/11/2022 09:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> You will find that if the area is warm the water dries up very much more
>> quickly than you might imagine. Anywhere you could hide a small header
>> tank,
>> recalculate into that and then the low pressure gravity feed would be
>> closer
>> to what was there?
>
> Where I was staying over for a couple of weeks in the summer there was
> one of those solar power fountains with quite a large tank of water. The
> tank had to be topped up daily.  I guess the main loss of water was it
> splashing on the warm/hot (artificial?) stone surround and then
> evaporating quickly.
>
> My experience with smallish pumps supplying re-circulated water outside
> is make sure that you have a filter as algae can block inlets quite
> quickly in summer months.

Thanks for all the very helpful comments.

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<5a4ef028b9charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79601&group=uk.d-i-y#79601

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:36:25 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:36 UTC

In article <jum782Fou8lU1@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 29/11/2022 09:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > You will find that if the area is warm the water dries up very much more
> > quickly than you might imagine. Anywhere you could hide a small header tank,
> > recalculate into that and then the low pressure gravity feed would be closer
> > to what was there?

> Where I was staying over for a couple of weeks in the summer there was
> one of those solar power fountains with quite a large tank of water. The
> tank had to be topped up daily. I guess the main loss of water was it
> splashing on the warm/hot (artificial?) stone surround and then
> evaporating quickly.

> My experience with smallish pumps supplying re-circulated water outside
> is make sure that you have a filter as algae can block inlets quite
> quickly in summer months.

also make sure, if you are in a hard water area, to used softened or rain
water. Evaporation leaves a nasty deposit in hard water areas,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm4vv2$2929l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79602&group=uk.d-i-y#79602

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 13:03:30 +0000
 by: Pancho - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 13:03 UTC

On 28/11/2022 17:09, GB wrote:
> My porch has a fountain in it!
>
> It looks a bit like this:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9

Phew!, I thought this was going to be a prostate problem!

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm59lo$en0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79626&group=uk.d-i-y#79626

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 15:49:11 +0000
 by: Andrew - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 15:49 UTC

On 28/11/2022 19:26, Tim+ wrote:
> SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:

>>> My suggestion would be to cannibalise the cheapest nastiest solar
>>> powered fountain pump that you can find and use silicone fuel pipe for
>>> the actual connection between pump and head. Any old wall wart will do
>>> as a power supply.
>>>
>>> You might have to limit the current. The one I got for doing automatic
>>> watering could throw water 6' into the air when on a proper 12v supply
>>> instead of the 6" it managed with a poxy solar panel. Caught me out!
>>>

>> what is 6" and 6' ?
>>

> Standard UK nomenclature for 6 inches and 6 feet.
>
> Tim

From the Spinal tap Wiki :-

"Nigel suggests staging a lavish show, and asks Ian to order a
Stonehenge megalith. However, Nigel, rushing a sketch on a napkin,
mislabels its dimensions; the resulting prop is only 18 inches high
rather than 18 feet, making the group a laughing stock. The group blames
Ian, and when David suggests Jeanine should co-manage the group, Ian
quits .. "

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm59p5$en0$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79627&group=uk.d-i-y#79627

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 15:51:00 +0000
 by: Andrew - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 15:51 UTC

On 29/11/2022 12:31, GB wrote:
> On 29/11/2022 11:03, alan_m wrote:
>> On 29/11/2022 09:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> You will find that if the area is warm the water dries up very much more
>>> quickly than you might imagine. Anywhere you could hide a small
>>> header tank,
>>> recalculate into that and then the low pressure gravity feed would be
>>> closer
>>> to what was there?
>>
>> Where I was staying over for a couple of weeks in the summer there was
>> one of those solar power fountains with quite a large tank of water.
>> The tank had to be topped up daily.  I guess the main loss of water
>> was it splashing on the warm/hot (artificial?) stone surround and then
>> evaporating quickly.
>>
>> My experience with smallish pumps supplying re-circulated water
>> outside is make sure that you have a filter as algae can block inlets
>> quite quickly in summer months.
>>

> Thanks for all the very helpful comments.

If you relocated it to your bathroom, you could use it as
gents urinal

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm5qet$2b4pv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79653&group=uk.d-i-y#79653

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:35:43 +0000
 by: GB - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:35 UTC

On 29/11/2022 13:03, Pancho wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 17:09, GB wrote:
>> My porch has a fountain in it!
>>
>> It looks a bit like this:
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>>

> Phew!, I thought this was going to be a prostate problem!

Got that to think about, too.

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<de0e5669-2dfc-42f4-a63b-dd0977911be7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79671&group=uk.d-i-y#79671

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:42:36 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:42 UTC

On Tuesday, 29 November 2022 at 15:51:05 UTC, Andrew wrote:
> On 29/11/2022 12:31, GB wrote:
> >>
> >> Where I was staying over for a couple of weeks in the summer there was
> >> one of those solar power fountains with quite a large tank of water.
> >> The tank had to be topped up daily. I guess the main loss of water
> >> was it splashing on the warm/hot (artificial?) stone surround and then
> >> evaporating quickly.
> >>
> >> My experience with smallish pumps supplying re-circulated water
> >> outside is make sure that you have a filter as algae can block inlets
> >> quite quickly in summer months.
> >>

> > Thanks for all the very helpful comments.
> If you relocated it to your bathroom, you could use it as
> gents urinal

it might get so used anyway, if you're in town

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<tm7nog$1i8n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79716&group=uk.d-i-y#79716

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 14:01:51 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 14:01 UTC

On 29/11/2022 12:29, GB wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 18:40, Rob Morley wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 17:09:00 +0000
>> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> My porch has a fountain in it!
>>>
>>> It looks a bit like this:
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>>>
>>> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
>>> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>>>
>>> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
>>> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
>>> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>>>
>>> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have
>>> drilled right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can
>>> feed a flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the
>>> trough.
>>>
>>> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
>>> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
>>>
>> Why would you use a submersible pump? You're running tubes through
>
> That's a good point. The way I was looking at it was any leaks will be
> in the pump/joints. So, have all that outside, in the pool of water.
>
> But, I will definitely think about what you suggest.

One advantage of a submersible pump is that there are some very cheap
ones about intended for small solar powered fountains. Being submerged
allows it to dissipate heat as the water flow is a great heat sink.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Please help me get my fountain working again

<9c8e0730-436f-404e-aeb5-6697c112be02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79786&group=uk.d-i-y#79786

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 15:38:38 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 23:38 UTC

On Monday, 28 November 2022 at 17:09:03 UTC, GB wrote:
> My porch has a fountain in it!
>
> It looks a bit like this:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blumfeldt-L%C3%B6wenstein-Circulation-Water-Flowing-Intallation/dp/B0728PHTY9
>
> For Brian, that's a fountain where a trickle of water comes out of a
> lion's mouth into a little trough.
>
> It originally simply had a mains water feed that fed a spout in the
> lion's mouth, and a drain took the water away. Eventually, the water
> board cottoned on to the waste, and it was disconnected.
>
> I want to get it working again with a recirculating pump. I have drilled
> right through the wall where the lion's mouth is, and I can feed a
> flexible pipe through, and then back through the wall into the trough.
>
> So, I need a submersible pump plus a suitable pipe. That is hopefully
> where you ladies and gentlemen come in, please.
>
> The pump really only needs to produce a small amount of water - just a
> trickle. Any more, and it will splash all over the porch.
>
> What about the pipe? My thought was perhaps microbore copper pipe?
>
> I'll hide the pipework behind some shelving, but piping that can take a
> sharp bend would be best. And how do I make the connection between the
> pump and the pipe?

FWLIW you could restore the mains feed if the output fed say a loo cistern, preferably via a tank to convert a long trickle into a quick fill.