Round Numbers are always false. -- Samuel Johnson

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Safari Themes

SubjectAuthor
* Safari ThemesRJH
+* Re: Safari ThemesGraham J
|`* Re: Safari ThemesRJH
| +* Re: Safari ThemesGraeme Wall
| |`* Re: Safari ThemesGraham J
| | `* Re: Safari ThemesRJH
| |  +* Re: Safari ThemesGraeme Wall
| |  |`* Re: Safari ThemesRJH
| |  | `- Re: Safari ThemesGraham J
| |  `- Re: Safari ThemesBernd Froehlich
| `* Re: Safari ThemesJaimie Vandenbergh
|  `* Re: Safari ThemesRJH
|   `- Re: Safari ThemesMark Bestley
`* Re: Safari ThemesChris Ridd
 `- Re: Safari ThemesRJH

1
Safari Themes

<t3bh32$efs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7972&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7972

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Safari Themes
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:23:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:23 UTC

I've been using Safari on my 2019 Intel iMac for a while as my other long-term
browser (Firefox) steadfastly refused to open certain sites. Does anyone know
how to change the contrast of the tool/menu/favourites part - the sort of top
banner of the browser? I find the grey text on a grey background difficult to
read.

Googling suggests the 'Appearance' tab in Preferences, but that isn't there.
All latest up to date, iMac
--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Safari Themes

<t3bnlg$13r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7976&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7976

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Safari Themes
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:15:32 +0100
 by: Graham J - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:15 UTC

RJH wrote:
> I've been using Safari on my 2019 Intel iMac for a while as my other long-term
> browser (Firefox) steadfastly refused to open certain sites. Does anyone know
> how to change the contrast of the tool/menu/favourites part - the sort of top
> banner of the browser? I find the grey text on a grey background difficult to
> read.

What websites do not open with Firefox? If we could try a few we would
learn whether it is Firefox or the websites which are at fault ...

--
Graham J

Re: Safari Themes

<t3br2g$qta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7977&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7977

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:13:51 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:13 UTC

On 15/04/2022 11:23, RJH wrote:
> I've been using Safari on my 2019 Intel iMac for a while as my other long-term
> browser (Firefox) steadfastly refused to open certain sites. Does anyone know
> how to change the contrast of the tool/menu/favourites part - the sort of top
> banner of the browser? I find the grey text on a grey background difficult to
> read.

This sounds like the UI change Apple made in one of the Monterey betas,
and then partially backed down on. Try Safari > Preferences > Tabs and
change the Tab layout.

Alternatively try System Preferences > Accessibility > Display and
fiddle with the various options there.

--
Chris

Re: Safari Themes

<t3brm7$vne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7978&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7978

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:24:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:24 UTC

On 15 Apr 2022 at 13:15:32 BST, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> RJH wrote:
>> I've been using Safari on my 2019 Intel iMac for a while as my other long-term
>> browser (Firefox) steadfastly refused to open certain sites. Does anyone know
>> how to change the contrast of the tool/menu/favourites part - the sort of top
>> banner of the browser? I find the grey text on a grey background difficult to
>> read.
>

> What websites do not open with Firefox? If we could try a few we would
> learn whether it is Firefox or the websites which are at fault ...

Well, BBC for starters:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/

The site flashes up, then disappears to leave a blank white page.
Deleted/reinstalled, cleared everything, run in safe mode, disabled all
add-ins, given up!
--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Safari Themes

<t3bs1t$2kp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7979&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7979

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:30:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:30 UTC

On 15 Apr 2022 at 14:13:51 BST, "Chris Ridd" <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:

> On 15/04/2022 11:23, RJH wrote:
>> I've been using Safari on my 2019 Intel iMac for a while as my other long-term
>> browser (Firefox) steadfastly refused to open certain sites. Does anyone know
>> how to change the contrast of the tool/menu/favourites part - the sort of top
>> banner of the browser? I find the grey text on a grey background difficult to
>> read.
>
> This sounds like the UI change Apple made in one of the Monterey betas,
> and then partially backed down on. Try Safari > Preferences > Tabs and
> change the Tab layout.

Yes, thanks, tried that - no change to the toolbar text. Actually quite like
the compact tabs!

> Alternatively try System Preferences > Accessibility > Display and
> fiddle with the various options there.

The High Contrast button on Display settings does improve the clarity of
toolbat text - but I'm not that happy with it elsewhere.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Safari Themes

<t3bviv$rpd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7981&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7981

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:30:55 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:30 UTC

On 15/04/2022 14:24, RJH wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2022 at 13:15:32 BST, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> RJH wrote:
>>> I've been using Safari on my 2019 Intel iMac for a while as my other long-term
>>> browser (Firefox) steadfastly refused to open certain sites. Does anyone know
>>> how to change the contrast of the tool/menu/favourites part - the sort of top
>>> banner of the browser? I find the grey text on a grey background difficult to
>>> read.
>>

>> What websites do not open with Firefox? If we could try a few we would
>> learn whether it is Firefox or the websites which are at fault ...
>
> Well, BBC for starters:
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/

Works fine here on both Safari and Firefox

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Safari Themes

<t3canf$kci$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8000&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8000

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:40:51 +0100
 by: Graham J - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:40 UTC

Graeme Wall wrote:
> On 15/04/2022 14:24, RJH wrote:

>>> What websites do not open with Firefox?  If we could try a few we would
>>> learn whether it is Firefox or the websites which are at fault ...
>>
>> Well, BBC for starters:
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/
>
> Works fine here on both Safari and Firefox

OK try the easy stuff first:

1. Take your iMac to another location and use their internet connection
with Firefox - it it still fails that suggests a problem with your
installation of Firefox.

2. Try a different Mac on your internet connection - one that is known
to work. IS RJH anywhere near you that you could test with his Mac?
Does it fail? If so then there's something odd with your internet
connection.

3. Create a new user on your iMac and find out if that fails with
Firefox. If that works OK then there's something wrong with your user
account. Others here may be able to help your resolve this.

4. Try Google Chrome - does that fail in the same way?

Tell us how you get on ...

--
Graham J

Re: Safari Themes

<t3celi$iph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8004&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8004

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:48:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:48 UTC

On 15 Apr 2022 at 18:40:51 BST, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Graeme Wall wrote:

>>> Well, BBC for starters:
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/
>>
>> Works fine here on both Safari and Firefox

Thanks. Just checked again, this time through a VPN. The site just flashed up
for a second then disappears. Same with:

https://sound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk

Works on Safari and Chrome.

> OK try the easy stuff first:
>
> 1. Take your iMac to another location and use their internet connection
> with Firefox - it it still fails that suggests a problem with your
> installation of Firefox.
>
> 2. Try a different Mac on your internet connection - one that is known
> to work. IS RJH anywhere near you that you could test with his Mac?
> Does it fail? If so then there's something odd with your internet
> connection.
>
> 3. Create a new user on your iMac and find out if that fails with
> Firefox. If that works OK then there's something wrong with your user
> account. Others here may be able to help your resolve this.
>
> 4. Try Google Chrome - does that fail in the same way?
>
> Tell us how you get on ...

Well - it works on every other browser, which is why I'm using Safari right
now.

I'm sure there will be a solution if I drill down deeply enough, but I've
exhausted the 'surface' fixes I can find on the forums. Hadn't thought of my
ISP/connection - but surely it wouldn't work across browsers if that was the
cause?

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Safari Themes

<t3cg4k$tp2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8006&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8006

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 20:13:24 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:13 UTC

On 15/04/2022 19:48, RJH wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2022 at 18:40:51 BST, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Graeme Wall wrote:

>>> Works fine here on both Safari and Firefox
>>

> Thanks. Just checked again, this time through a VPN. The site just flashed up
> for a second then disappears. Same with:
>
> https://sound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk
>
> Works on Safari and Chrome.

Again, works fine here. Perhaps worth trying deleting Firefox and
re-installing it from a fresh download?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Safari Themes

<jbu03sFb8ctU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8016&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8016

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 15 Apr 2022 19:41:48 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:41 UTC

On 15 Apr 2022 at 14:24:23 BST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 15 Apr 2022 at 13:15:32 BST, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> RJH wrote:
>>> I've been using Safari on my 2019 Intel iMac for a while as my other long-term
>>> browser (Firefox) steadfastly refused to open certain sites. Does anyone know
>>> how to change the contrast of the tool/menu/favourites part - the sort of top
>>> banner of the browser? I find the grey text on a grey background difficult to
>>> read.
>>

>> What websites do not open with Firefox? If we could try a few we would
>> learn whether it is Firefox or the websites which are at fault ...
>
> Well, BBC for starters:
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/
>
> The site flashes up, then disappears to leave a blank white page.
> Deleted/reinstalled, cleared everything, run in safe mode, disabled all
> add-ins, given up!

Works fine in my FF, version 99.0

Something that did give me some crap recently was Firefox's
DNS-over-HTTP mode. If you go to settings, all the way to the bottom for
Network Settings, press Settings... and toggle "enable DNS over HTTPS",
does that change things?

Mine was broken for different sites each way for a couple of months, but
it's all fine now so I guess they fixed something.

Also may want to toggle the Mac's setting for "Limit IP address
tracking", in System Preferences/Network/whichever network your internet
is accessed through.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.
-- J R R Tolkien

Re: Safari Themes

<t3ditf$c7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8048&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8048

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:06:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:06 UTC

On 15 Apr 2022 at 20:13:24 BST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 15/04/2022 19:48, RJH wrote:

>> Thanks. Just checked again, this time through a VPN. The site just flashed up
>> for a second then disappears. Same with:
>>
>> https://sound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk
>>
>> Works on Safari and Chrome.
>
> Again, works fine here. Perhaps worth trying deleting Firefox and
> re-installing it from a fresh download?

Thanks for checking - alas yes, tried reinstalling, and resetting all the
caches etc.
--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Safari Themes

<t3dj8v$e3i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8049&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8049

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:13:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:13 UTC

On 15 Apr 2022 at 20:41:48 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 15 Apr 2022 at 14:24:23 BST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> What websites do not open with Firefox? If we could try a few we would
>>> learn whether it is Firefox or the websites which are at fault ...
>>
>> Well, BBC for starters:
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/
>>
>> The site flashes up, then disappears to leave a blank white page.
>> Deleted/reinstalled, cleared everything, run in safe mode, disabled all
>> add-ins, given up!
>
> Works fine in my FF, version 99.0
>
> Something that did give me some crap recently was Firefox's
> DNS-over-HTTP mode. If you go to settings, all the way to the bottom for
> Network Settings, press Settings... and toggle "enable DNS over HTTPS",
> does that change things?

Thanks - just run through those and still the same.

> Mine was broken for different sites each way for a couple of months, but
> it's all fine now so I guess they fixed something.

Yes, wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happens here.

> Also may want to toggle the Mac's setting for "Limit IP address
> tracking", in System Preferences/Network/whichever network your internet
> is accessed through.

Tried - and didn't work. Even tried a different network (tethered through the
phone). It does work on other browsers - which seems to suggest something's
changed in Firefox (tried in FF safe mode btw).

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Safari Themes

<t3dq47$gsr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8051&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8051

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 08:09:45 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 07:09 UTC

RJH wrote:

[snip]

>> Again, works fine here. Perhaps worth trying deleting Firefox and
>> re-installing it from a fresh download?
>
> Thanks for checking - alas yes, tried reinstalling, and resetting all the
> caches etc.

What about creating a new user account and trying Firefox with that?
This would avoid any personalisation relating to your own user profile.

--
Graham J

Re: Safari Themes

<m18rs5tigy.fsf@bestley.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8053&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8053

From: gnu...@bestley.co.uk (Mark Bestley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:45:17 +0100
sha1:aiDYYxl7yzdWV3ToHNWEKuUD2Xs=
 by: Mark Bestley - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:45 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> writes:

> On 15 Apr 2022 at 20:41:48 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> Well, BBC for starters:
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/
>>>
>>> The site flashes up, then disappears to leave a blank white page.
>>> Deleted/reinstalled, cleared everything, run in safe mode, disabled all
>>> add-ins, given up!
>>
>> Works fine in my FF, version 99.0
>>
>> Something that did give me some crap recently was Firefox's
>> DNS-over-HTTP mode. If you go to settings, all the way to the bottom for
>> Network Settings, press Settings... and toggle "enable DNS over HTTPS",
>> does that change things?
>
> Thanks - just run through those and still the same.
>

>> Mine was broken for different sites each way for a couple of months, but
>> it's all fine now so I guess they fixed something.
>>

> Yes, wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happens here.
>
>> Also may want to toggle the Mac's setting for "Limit IP address
>> tracking", in System Preferences/Network/whichever network your internet
>> is accessed through.
>
> Tried - and didn't work. Even tried a different network (tethered through the
> phone). It does work on other browsers - which seems to suggest something's
> changed in Firefox (tried in FF safe mode btw).

Works here as well with Firefox 99.0.1

Have you tried with a new macOS User so you don't use any of your current Firefox related things at all. As Safari works and changing network seems to make no difference it does look like your Firefox environment (not just settings and cache)

--
Mark

Re: Safari Themes

<jc733dF334pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8108&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8108

From: bef...@eaglesoft.de (Bernd Froehlich)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 19 Apr 2022 06:27:57 GMT
 by: Bernd Froehlich - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 06:27 UTC

On 15. Apr 2022 at 20:48:18 CEST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Just checked again, this time through a VPN. The site just flashed up
> for a second then disappears.

Firefox works fine with those sites over here.
Do you have any add ons installed?
Disabled something that the site needs? (Javascript? Cookies?)